9 nights and 8 park days at Disney World too much ? Please read.

SpykeYs

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I am planning a trip (already bought) for this upcoming March 5th to 14th with my wife and 2 kids (3 and 5). My scheduled is meticulously planned but my wife is now challenging it. (which I do appreciate btw).

I am an experienced Disney traveler as I had the opportunity to visit Disney World ~10 times. My last trip is this past August with my oldest (11 years old). My wife has been once and is not necessarily a big Disney fan.

The big question is : Is 8 park days (basically each days minus arrival and departures) too much ? I did not plan for "rest days" per say as staying at the resort all day is not an option for us. My reasoning behind purchasing 8 park days is yes we can rest as much as we want, but let's perhaps go to a site for a few hours in the evening or morning. But at least let's give us the option to have access to a Disney park every day. What are your thoughts about that ?

Something she also mentioned is the kids will most likely be bored after 8 days at Disney. (I think she is wrong). She is now looking to perhaps go Disney 6 days and use the two other days for activities outside of Disney. On the opposite, I'm looking to spend all time at Disney to remain in Disney ecosystem but also for the opportunity to do everything at our own pace. I'm worried if we start adding things outside of Disney we may be creating a too much rigid schedule.

Thoughts ?

The big question is : Is 8 park days (basically each days minus arrival and departures) too much ?

Heck, no. Sounds great to me.
My reasoning behind purchasing 8 park days is yes we can rest as much as we want, but let's perhaps go to a site for a few hours in the evening or morning. But at least let's give us the option to have access to a Disney park every day. What are your thoughts about that ?

Perfect.
Something she also mentioned is the kids will most likely be bored after 8 days at Disney. (I think she is wrong).

I think she's waaaaay wrong. One or both kids may pitch a huge fit when it finally is time to leave for home.

At age 5, I'd have wanted to stay forever.

Too bad your wife is magic-resistant at the moment, but maybe with this much exposure, she'll come around and be as crazy about the place as we DISboarders are. Good luck 🍀 converting her to the delight of Disney.

We just went and spent a few days with our DD, DSIL and DGS (age 2 1/2). We spent one day in each park and had a Disney Springs/pool day in between the 2nd and 3rd days. We didn't rope drop but were usually in the park before 9:30. We stayed until early evening. DGS napped in his stroller. For us, any more than the 4 park days would have been too much for the little guy. Since OP has a 3 year old in addition to the 5 year old, they may find 8 park days, even if only partial days, may be too much. If they haven't bought tickets yet, I would suggest buying a 4 day park ticket. After the first few days of seeing how their kids react, they can decide to do other things or extend their Disney park visit by adding more days.

I like having the ability to visit a park each day even if we may not go. This offers some flexibility in case we change our minds.
On our longer trips, we may visit a park each days but only for a few hours after hanging by the pool all day or just to be able ride a favorite ride and have dinner at a favorite in park restaurant.

I will add, we can not do all day at a park, maybe 4-5 hours max so this works for us.

We always do 10 park days. Have been doing it since the kids were 18 months old. They want us to stay longer!

Our summer trips typically span 14-15 days. We are AP’s and go in every day. We always take afternoon breaks to swim, enjoy the resort and then go back to the parks at night. If it’s really hot out, we stay in the park a bit later, then go back to the resort and swim all evening instead of going back to the parks at night. We have been doing these extended summer trips since my kids were toddlers and they still enjoy them!! They’ll love it!!! Have a great time!!!

Hi,

I am planning a trip (already bought) for this upcoming March 5th to 14th with my wife and 2 kids (3 and 5). My scheduled is meticulously planned but my wife is now challenging it. (which I do appreciate btw).

I am an experienced Disney traveler as I had the opportunity to visit Disney World ~10 times. My last trip is this past August with my oldest (11 years old). My wife has been once and is not necessarily a big Disney fan.

The big question is : Is 8 park days (basically each days minus arrival and departures) too much ? I did not plan for "rest days" per say as staying at the resort all day is not an option for us. My reasoning behind purchasing 8 park days is yes we can rest as much as we want, but let's perhaps go to a site for a few hours in the evening or morning. But at least let's give us the option to have access to a Disney park every day. What are your thoughts about that ?

Something she also mentioned is the kids will most likely be bored after 8 days at Disney. (I think she is wrong). She is now looking to perhaps go Disney 6 days and use the two other days for activities outside of Disney. On the opposite, I'm looking to spend all time at Disney to remain in Disney ecosystem but also for the opportunity to do everything at our own pace. I'm worried if we start adding things outside of Disney we may be creating a too much rigid schedule.

Thoughts ?
Definitely don't think they'll be bored, however 8 straight park days is A LOT. Why are you opposed to rest days? You can hang at the pool/resort/go to Disney Springs/have a nice meal somewhere etc.

I guess if you're okay with only going to the parks a few hours a day, then 8 days msy be fine, but it just kinda seems like a waste of money when I know how nice down days are.

We often to do 10 night stays at Disney, but only do 4-5 regular park days and 2 water park days...the other days are pool/ds/resort hopping days which we also love.

This is how we do Disney. We go for 7, 8, 9, or 10 days, but we absolutely **do not** rope drop. We hit the parks some days only for a few hours. We genie+ stack before we get there. We’ve never done a “full day” off during a trip (other than when the hurricane shut the parks down).

That’s a perfect amount of park time for us. 8-10 park days. It’s enough to do everything you want without rushing and doing full park days.

We mix up our days by RDing each park once (RD to us is arriving 10-15 minutes before park open not 60+ like others do) with a midday break and then the rest of the days we start later. Either by starting around noon or sleeping in, pool time, relaxing dinner and then hitting a park around 5 pm until close. We are always itching to hit a park by 4-5 pm so we get length off stay tickets. This works for us after trying full rest days and other strategies throughout the years.

If your wife isn’t a Disney person you may have to compromise and cut the park days down and do other activities.

We always do 10 days. Don’t always stay all day. You never know what the weather may do so flexibility is nice. Some trips have been very wet and evening entertainment has been canceled or we chose not to get soaked and just reschedule for another night. I don’t mind getting wet during the day but I am not a fan of getting soaked to the bone at night.

IMO, yes, way too much. Not the total number of days. But 8 straight park days! That's crazy. you will be exhausted and your feet killing you. Unless you don't do full days at the park. In which case, why book 8 days? Personally, I would eliminate two park days and use them for rest and relaxation

No, I don't think it's too much. I think your plan sounds fine. We often go for 6 days and only spend a few hours in a park or spend a few hours go back to the resort to rest or swim and then go to another park for a few hours. We have never been that family that could be there and have a total non park day, especially if staying on site. Just too easy to hop into a park for whatever reason. Are you staying on site or off?

We always buy 8-10 day tickets. Sometimes even get hoppers. We may go to the park in the morning, go back and swim/rest, then go back in the evening. Or, we may just sleep in and go in the evening. We may even choose to not go one day but we like having the option. Since the cost of the days gets to be a lot less in the 8-10 day range, we feel it is worth it.

Hi,

Thoughts ?

So, you stated your wife is not a big Disney fan. And she's giving you direct guidance she doesn't want 8 park days.

So, the easy answer - this is a vacation for the whole family. Do NOT book 8 park days and have no other fun in Orlando.

Instead, ask your wife what she might find fun for the whole family on the off days. There's a LOT to do in the Orlando area and her answers may surprise you.

Remember, happy wife = happy life, and right now, she's giving a lot of verbal signals that she's not happy.

PS - With littles, I would also never do 8 park days straight for my own health and sanity. Pushing strollers and carrying kids or bags of drinks/food gets EXHAUSTING in the Florida heat after awhile...hot tubs for my feet were my friend...

Last edited:
I would say what do you call a park day….. if you’re talking rope drop to kick out then yes 8 days may kill you, or you may kill someone in your party…..

on the other hand 8 relaxing days where you come and go to the park as you, they, she want…. That is enjoyable…. I am also not a fan of all day at the resort but a few hours at the pool with a beverage…. That’s fun

now if you have to get a rental car, travel off property, visit other parks….. you vacation begins to start to sound a lot like a chore …. Again not fun…..

good luck

I’d keep the 8 park days but also be willing to have flexibility and not go to the park every day. Iirc, the price isn’t that big of a jump for 7 days vs 8?

Let the trip happen, and if the family wants to do 8 days at Disney, great. We have gone for 3 weeks and gone to a park every single day in the past. (We never rope drop, we have a pretty relaxed touring style, sometimes we go to a park just to ride one attraction before park close.)

If the family wants a break, that’s okay. You don’t need to change anything, yet. Just need to be willing to change if that’s how the trip progresses.

(Personally I’m with you.)

I do 2 10 day trips each year and normally visit the parks each day, but I don't stay the whole day. I may head back to the resort at lunch time or early in the afternoon. You may do something similar with small kids. They will wear out quickly in the heat and an afternoon nap may be just the thing. You can always head back in the afternoon or evening.

Wow... Thank you so much for all the amazing feedback. This board is amazing!

I would like to clarify that my 8 park days definitely does not mean FULL DAYS nor does it mean ROPE DROPE every single days. As SleeplessInTO mentioned, there isn't a big price difference between 6-7-8 days an I prefer to book 8 days and have flexibility. We (both wife and I) don't like rest days but this vacation will have plenty of rest due to the kids being such a young age.

I'm finishing planning with my wife today, i'll post back on what we decided.

Thanks again for the great feedback !

We always buy 8-10 day tickets. Sometimes even get hoppers. We may go to the park in the morning, go back and swim/rest, then go back in the evening. Or, we may just sleep in and go in the evening. We may even choose to not go one day but we like having the option. Since the cost of the days gets to be a lot less in the 8-10 day range, we feel it is worth it.
I completely agree. We decided against Park Hopper this year so perhaps buying park days for all day might be a good compromise. The extra day is ~100$ where as Park Hopper for my family is closer to ~350$.

With 8 park days I have enough flexibility to not need Park Hopper.

We don’t have kids but go every 2-3 years and always have 2 days for each park plus sometimes also take a day or 2 for other area attractions. We pretty much always have meals at TS due to allergies and we find the time spent at lunches or dinners is our time to relax and recharge. On our last trip around Thanksgiving 2021 we spent 2 nights on Universal property before our Disney portion but took a day on Black Friday for Sea World. We always rent a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter