Actual Dog Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All. I wanted to share with you my experience speaking with a guest services Cast Member. We had a reservation for Yacht Club for three days at the end of an 8 day trip in early December. I sent an email to the Guest services Resort and reservation option. I expressed my concern with allergies, etc, in the email, and asked for it to be escalated to management at the Yacht Club for clarification of rules, rooms near dog, etc.

I received a call back later the same day, and was able to have my issues resolved fully and satisfactory. I was not pushy, and did not ask for anything except to be away from the dogs area, but the cast member offered to move our resort, so we excepted. When the Cast Member explained the situation at the Yacht Club that I was not going to be in anyway guaranteed a room away from dogs, it seemed logical to except the move, even though we were looking forward to being at Yacht Club for the location and Storm Along Bay. We had two dining reservations at Yachtsman and Cape May, two at Epcot Le Cellier and Tutto Italia and an Epcot tour in those three days, so it was impractical to move further away.

The reason the Cast Member could not guarantee me a room in the non dog section is because, according to her there is no non dog section of Yacht Club. This Cast Member told me that dogs can be assigned to any Garden View, Woods View, Water view or Pool view, so basically scattered around the resort. I was looking at the touring plans Yacht Club room finder map as she was explaining the categories to me, and I could pick a pool view room and look and see that it was a few doors down from a garden view. I asked her specifically about the rumor that rooms would be only on the first floor, and she stated that this was inaccurate. She also stated that the only rooms that were not pet friendly were the standard rooms, which she could have moved me to, but I would have the same issue with them being near by. So if I wanted an entirely dog free (except for service dogs) area, I would have to move resorts. The Cast Member offered to move me to Coronado Springs, since this is where my first 5 days were, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club or Boardwalk. We accepted Beach Club, when she reassured me that the dogs are not to be in the Beach Club side. Basically, the dogs need to be in the room or in the pet grass areas, and nowhere else. I asked about the pools, the walkways to Boardwalk, the Boardwalk itself, the beach area, the Beach Club side of the resort, restaurants, and she said that they were not to be in any of those areas, and guests who do bring their dogs there will be asked to leave, and guests can report this to a Cast Member if they see anything like this. This should also be explained explicitly at the resort to guests checking in with pets.

I cannot speak to the layouts at the other pet friendly resorts, because I was only inquiring about the Yacht Club and general area around this resort. The Cast Member I spoke to was very nice, and going out of her way to assist me. She suggested that anyone who had issues with this new policy to contact them, and reminded me that this was only a trial run, and that based on the feedback so far, many people are not happy about this policy. I hope this helps someone else. I never have complained formally to any Cast Member in the past three years we have been coming regularly. I've stayed over 40 nights at Disney resorts in three years, and have 20 more days planned for the next 8 months. I felt this issue warranted an explanation from Disney and I was pleased with the response.
Thanks for posting this information. Consider also sharing it here.... sorry I can't figure out how to post a link, but you will find this presently at the top of the Disney Resorts Forum.
***Help us gather information on Disney's policies on dogs at resorts***

Just got back from the other thread....boy is it rough over there. I hope this thread proves to be informative and not so negative. It seems there are many people who fear dogs or who are upset with the idea of dogs before even seeing what it's going to be like having dogs at Disney. As I've said before, I don't think we are going to see Disney overrun with dogs. There may be some people who do Disney differently, where someone does stay at the resort to care for the dog. The dogs are very limited as to where they can go at the resorts and they are not allowed in the pool area, in the parks, or on the bus unless they are in an enclosure. I just don't think we are going to see many dog related problems. Just my thoughts.

Just got back from the other thread....boy is it rough over there. I hope this thread proves to be informative and not so negative. It seems there are many people who fear dogs or who are upset with the idea of dogs before even seeing what it's going to be like having dogs at Disney. As I've said before, I don't think we are going to see Disney overrun with dogs. There may be some people who do Disney differently, where someone does stay at the resort to care for the dog. The dogs are very limited as to where they can go at the resorts and they are not allowed in the pool area, in the parks, or on the bus unless they are in an enclosure. I just don't think we are going to see many dog related problems. Just my thoughts.

I can guess which thread you are talking about! Agree wholeheartedly with you which is why I wrote a pro dog policy letter to disney execs as I didn't want them to think everyone was against the policy and yes letting them know they needed more notice and would need to enforce the rules on this policy.

BTW...we did our first flight of passage ride last week and loved it! Never saw the Pandora movie but we will watch now before next visit

What gets me about that thread is people who have zero faith that Disney will make sure everyone is happy. If I had such disdain for a company's service I simply would not give them my money. Just my opinion of course.

For my part, it's not disdain. It's just that Disney can only do so much given the circumstances. Let's say dog is left in a room and starts barking. After 30 minutes, Disney reaches out to the owner, who is in the parks and can't hear the phone because of ambient noise, or is in line for a ride and doesn't want to get out of it, or is on a ride or in a show and can't get the message. By the time the person gets the message and makes his or her way back to the hotel to deal with the issue, it could be hours, while the dog is still barking and barking and barking.

For my part, it's not disdain. It's just that Disney can only do so much given the circumstances. Let's say dog is left in a room and starts barking. After 30 minutes, Disney reaches out to the owner, who is in the parks and can't hear the phone because of ambient noise, or is in line for a ride and doesn't want to get out of it, or is on a ride or in a show and can't get the message. By the time the person gets the message and makes his or her way back to the hotel to deal with the issue, it could be hours, while the dog is still barking and barking and barking.

I get that, but from the beginning there was little to no faith that CMs would handle this correctly.

I can guess which thread you are talking about! Agree wholeheartedly with you which is why I wrote a pro dog policy letter to disney execs as I didn't want them to think everyone was against the policy and yes letting them know they needed more notice and would need to enforce the rules on this policy.

BTW...we did our first flight of passage ride last week and loved it! Never saw the Pandora movie but we will watch now before next visit
I did the same thing, wrote an e-mail and used the addresses included in other threads. Was shocked the next day when I got a call from customer service (as I did not include my phone number-they must of looked up my profile) and the CM expressed thanks for the e-mail and wished me well on my next trip (begins 10/25). Was probably a 30 second conversation but I felt it was important for Disney to hear that there a people that appreciate the new policy.

Say for the sake of argument that you are in your room for hours to be bothered by a barking dog (which is rare for me when I am at WDW), why do you assume that people who are travelling with their dogs might not do the same?

Truthfully, I figure people that are going to bring their dogs probably aren't open to close park goers.

I can say absolutely and that is my biggest fear. I am legally blind and until ADA in the early 1990 you hardly ever saw a service animal except the rear guide dog. ADA opened the door and seeing eye dogs became guide dogs, guide dogs became service dogs and so on and on. Here is a need, so don't get me wrong, but the amount of service animals has grown and my estimated guess would be that many of them are no more than pets with a service dog vest that you can buy on line. It is very hard to regulate when the law requires no certification, no license, no guide lines. Which is a double sword, and I u derstand both sides but I as a service dog owner still think they need some guidelines. At the moment any person anywhere can take any dog and put a vest on it and call it a service dog for the cost of the vest, or the price of a piece of paper. ADA makes no regulations, which I can understand, because it is very expensive to train a dog and if you can train one for your own needs that is great. My problem with it is, I feel there should be some guidelines, sorry I don't think pit bulls should be allowed to be service dogs, JMHO. I personally believe all service dogs should be spayed or neutered at the least, yet there is no regulation to that. I personally believe that all service dogs should be vaccinated and on flea and tick and heart worm meds, but there is no regulations. I believe personally that all service dogs should be able to pass good citizen canine class, yet there is no regulation.

I have had a guide dog for many years. Whenever I start to bring my guide dog into an establishment that I use on a regular bases, within months the amount of dogs quadruples. I moved 4 years ago, bring my service dog to bingo, they never had a service dog and we are talking Indian laws but they gave me no problem. Within months they started kicking fake service dogs out. And now four years later they still kick at least 1 fake service dog out a week, they have had flea problems, barking dog problems, bitting dog problems, dogs eating off counter problems and so on. Will there be more fake service dogs in the park to get away from paying the fee, yes. Although Disney already has a fake service dog problem and have no policies or practices to stop the problem JMHO. Actually I hope this forces Disney to find a policy to stop the fake service dogs.

I hear you on the fake service dog issues, and how there should be some of the guidelines you mentioned for service dogs, but why shouldn't pit bulls be allowed to be service dogs? Pits are being used successfully as all types of service dogs now, and they sometimes achieve tasks better than other breeds because they put their owner's needs ahead of their own.

I just don't think someone who goes through all the bother of bringing a dog along, is going to leave a dog alone in a strange room without really putting some thought into this situation. People know whether their dogs are barkers when left. Some folks have already said they plan on having someone stay with the dog during their trip. It takes so much planning as it is to go to Disney. And then to have to plan around the extra expense and forethought of bringing your dog! I really believe this isn't going to create as much of a problem as some people are anticipating.

What gets me about that thread is people who have zero faith that Disney will make sure everyone is happy. If I had such disdain for a company's service I simply would not give them my money. Just my opinion of course.
Unfortunately, Disney has always implemented rules that people break all the time, ie smoking on the balconies, too many people in the room, swimming when the pool is closed for the evening. And Disney hasn't done anything to make sure their rules are followed. Even when other guests complain because they are being affected directly by the rule breakers.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why anybody would want or need to bring a pet dog into a food court. That is so whack!

I mean, you're already leaving the dog to go to the parks. What's another 15 minutes to get some food to go from the food court? Because I can't even imagine eating there with your dog...

I live in South Florida and I can tell you pretty much every restaurant that has an outdoor seating area is dog friendly and you see tons of dogs all the time eating outside with their owners.

Florida has been rated year after year as the #1 state in the country that is most dog friendly.

However, I myself whom is a dog owner has NEVER once taken my dog to dinner with me. To me its not the proper place IMO.

@Spridell It's one thing to order food from waitstaff at an outdoor cafe with a pet dog. It's a whole other ball of wax to march into a food court with a pet and order food to eat inside or out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter