Advise Please...this sounded fishy

TheZue

DIS Veteran
Hi,

We are planning on going to Disneyland from May 16-21. We are pretty iffy on going on the Saturday during the day, but seeing as the park would be open until midnight I wouldn't mind going at night, or at least having the option. I phoned disney about a six day park hopper, but they don't have one. The CM suggested getting an upgrade to annual on the friday night and getting the picture taken Saturday so we could get in despite the fact it's a black out date. Will that actually work??? Also what kind of discounts on hotels and stuff do the annual pass holders get? Do you get any merchandise discounts? It would only be a $40 upgrade each from the five day pass, so that would probably be worth it to go after dinner on Saturday; but the whole idea sounds kind of shifty to me.

Yes, that works, I have seen it done. However they do sell 6 day hopper tickets.

They are 216.00 for adults, and 189 for children. They are supposed to be available at the main ticket booths. However I've just seen very conflicting info on it so maybe they are no longer available.

Yes it works. Way back when we got our first AP, that's what we did, upgraded on the last day.

Given the price of the 6 day hopper, its $5 more than a deluxe AP, so you'd be better off upgrading. Although, just a warning, having an AP makes a great excuse to schedule more visits.

With the deluxe, you get %10 off meals at buffeteria style places (Plaza Inn, French Market, etc). Many of the Downtown Disney stores offer 10% off. Periodically you get great rates at the Disney hotels ($79 at PP, $99 at DL, $130 at GC).

I talked to my hubby and he thought it would be an okay idea :flower: He actually thought it would make a neat souveneir lol. I can totally see how it would be tempting to go back throughout the year if we had tickets already, the thought had already crossed my mind

We just did it the weekend before last, so yes, it works. And it's not shifty, the Disneyland gate employees even promoted the idea while we were standing in line.

Also, the day you upgrade, you get a $10 credit if you paid for parking that day and are buying the $50 parking pass with the AP.

Oh, the "discounts" are pretty useless you eat in the restaurants there or buy a bunch of stuff.

Do you have to wait until the last day of you park hopper? For example, if I buy a 5 day park hopper in advance of going to DL, and then decide to upgrade to a AP, can it be done on the 1st day? Is this applicable to all PH's?

you can upgrade on any day you use it up to the last day it is valid. However once you upgrade to an AP all blockout dates for that AP apply. A blockout days does not apply on the day an AP is purchased (I've actually seen them allow somone go into the park for a few hours the end of one night and tell them to take their pic the next day which was a block out day. I'm not sure if they were given something special to do this, but I remember them being told how to do it.)

I was also curious about how long the ticket booths are open at the Park. Do they have the same hours as the park, or will we have to leave a little early to upgrade our park hopper?

Thanks for all the great info, I've been lurking for a bit and I gotta say you get way more info out of these boards then the guides ever give you :sunny:

We upgraded to the AP at a place near Space Mountain inside the park so you don't have to exit the park to do so. In fact, the way it was described to us, you have to go to that place to have your picture taken even if you upgrade outside at a ticket booth.

The park was open until midnight the night we did it, but the place near Space Mountain closed at 10pm we were told. We did it around 9pm...no wait, took about ten minutes for three passes.

Oh...you want to upgrade as soon as there are no more blackout days remaining on your visit if you want to take advantage of any of the discounts, and especially if you are getting the parking pass too.

I don't have an answer for you but I wanted to say HI because I'll be there at the exact same time you will. Where are you staying? We're being cheap - HoJos!

PamNC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter