Airline underseat storage measurements?

lucas

°o°
I am trying to figure out if my new carry-on will fit under the seat. (I usually fly with SWA or Delta.)

How can I find out what the measurements are for airline underseat storage?

Underseat spaces vary in size. Often at the aisle there are railings under the seats that make the space too narrow. Sometimes there are objects including electronics bolted under the seats so the storage is too flat.

Looks like I will have to find another bag. I want a small bag with small wheels and to have it at my feet and not have to put it above. The search is on! :)

Any suggestions?

I like to keep my carryon bag with me also (I have my cash for tipping valet,etc in there)and have given up on the idea of having a wheeled bag. The wheeled bags always have a solid structure to them that sometimes prohibits them from going under the seats. I have a soft gym type bag (from Eddie Bauer a couple of years age) that works great. It has a long enough shoulder strap to hook onto my checked wheeled luggage once I get it from baggage and plenty of zippered storage to keep all my paperwork, cash and a very few clothing items (bathing suit etc).Although I am always on the lookout for something else this bag works really well for me.

QVC and HSN each have some luggage that is designed to fit under the seat (it's sort of curved, is the best way to describe it), so I'd think anyplace that carries a fair amount of luggage would have something similar. Granted, even one of these bags is not guaranteed to fit under the seat in front of you, as per the excellent points seashore makes - but it'd be more likely to fit than what the OP seems to have.
Another option would be a SMALL wheeled backpack, since as with the above post it would be somewhat squishable/flexible, but it's possible even that would need to be placed overhead if the underseat area is too small.

Here's a dumb question from someone who's never flown. We are flying on Southwest and if it doesn't go under your seat, where does it go? I bought a 5 piece luggage set and 2 of them are carry ons, one tote style bag and the other is a wheeled boxy style (which meets size requirements for it).

QVC and HSN each have some luggage that is designed to fit under the seat (it's sort of curved, is the best way to describe it), so I'd think anyplace that carries a fair amount of luggage would have something similar. Granted, even one of these bags is not guaranteed to fit under the seat in front of you, as per the excellent points seashore makes - but it'd be more likely to fit than what the OP seems to have.
Another option would be a SMALL wheeled backpack, since as with the above post it would be somewhat squishable/flexible, but it's possible even that would need to be placed overhead if the underseat area is too small.

I never mentioned the measurements. Here they are: my new Eddie Bauer bag is 15.5 x 14 x 7.5, and it too is curved.

But, it is not squishable so I think I will return it to Target and keep looking for something smaller, squishable and that has small wheels.

The search is on!

Here's a dumb question from someone who's never flown. We are flying on Southwest and if it doesn't go under your seat, where does it go? I bought a 5 piece luggage set and 2 of them are carry ons, one tote style bag and the other is a wheeled boxy style (which meets size requirements for it).

It would go in the overhead compartment. A smaller tote bag sized bag will fit underneath the seat, while the larger, wheeled bags go above you.

Keep in mind that you don't have to put it under the seat if you don't want to. You can just place both bags in the overhead storage compartment provided there is still room when you board the plane.

Keep in mind that you don't have to put it under the seat if you don't want to. You can just place both bags in the overhead storage compartment provided there is still room when you board the plane.

Absolutely true. However, you will find that most airlines will tell you, via their particular websites, that you are allowed one personal item, which will fit underneath the seat and one larger bag that will go in the overhead. I know that on my last few flights, there has been little spare room in the overhead bins. Seems that everyone tries to avoid checking their bags, so everyone in each party brings the largest allowable bag for overhead storage, as well as a larger than expected personal item. It always amazes me to see what people will bring on the plane with them.

9 x 14 x 22 inches is a common (but not universal) maximum size guideline for carry on baggage. That includes wheels, latches, handles, etc. It is as if the item must fit (or be squeezable) into a rectangular hole with those dimensions or the flight crew reserves the right to take it from you to become checked baggage.

9 x 14 x 22 inches is a common (but not universal) maximum size guideline for carry on baggage. That includes wheels, latches, handles, etc. It is as if the item must fit (or be squeezable) into a rectangular hole with those dimensions or the flight crew reserves the right to take it from you to become checked baggage.

I agree dimensions aren't universal (and your measurements and mine are pretty much identical), and in order to be absolutely certain how a particular carrier treats carry-on their "Contract of Carriage" should be consulted. The document is generally available on the carrier's website.

Here's what I generally go by for carry-on. I've not had one taken from me to be checked, unless my flight is on one of the regional tin cans...

• Carry-on limited to one piece, plus a personal item such as a purse, briefcase, laptop case, small backpack, diaper bag, et cetera.
  • The personal item can't exceed 36" in overall size (H x W x D).
  • The other bag can't exceed:
    Overhead: 10 x 16 x 24 inches
    Underseat: 8 x 16 x 21 inches​
  • Both items can't exceed a total of 40 pounds.
  • And of course, the airline carry-on allowance may be restricted further due to space limitations, or because they said so....:)

I hope this helps.

Very few carryons fit under the seat anymore. Even my knapsack does not fit with my laptop, a change of clothes, and essentials like medicines.

This is why there is such a rush to get on the plane these days. The precious overhead space goes fast. There is not enough room for a carryon for each person in the overheads. And many people walk on with 2 or 3 things and put them ALL in the overhead bin. Or they place them in the first bin with room and continue walking to the back of the plane, leaving the remaining people in front to go hunting for space.

Another thing: check what aircraft you are on. If you are on a small jet like a Canadair Regionjet then the typical carryon won't fit anywhere and you will have to "gate check" it. Make sure your carryon has a luggage tag so they can match it to you in case they send it to luggage claim later, and make sure you put valuables and medicines in a soft small bag that actually can go on these small jets. I once surrendered a bag at gate claim and they could not find it for 30 minutes. We almost had to continue to our connecting flight without it... and they would have no idea where to send the bag becuase it has no routing tag at that point. Very bad situation if your carryon with your medicine and cameras gets left at the airport and they search for it for a couple days before finding it and sending it to you.

Hi Lucas!

I was wondering if you ever succeeded in finding a rolling bag small enough to fit under the seat. It's been something i've been in search of too and have always fell back on my tried and true old Eddie Bauer duffel. But I keep looking and hoping. In January I have to back all my running needs (back ups in case it's hot or cold) and thankfully all the clothes are typically light weight and compact for packing but all of it in my small bag weighs my shoulders down on the walk to the gate at home and then out to baggage pick up in Orlando.

Please please share if you found a rolling small bag that you had luck with.

funny thing... i had typed into google the questions of what size is under seat storage and up comes a DIS board thread LOL I'm finding lately that this happens. I have a question and up comes a DIS thread that is related LOL I guess all I need to know can be found on the DIS :lmao:

Thanks Lucas !!!!

The location of your seat can make a difference. On many planes, the window seat has very little underseat storage because of the curve of the plane. Also seats in the very front or back have less room, again because of the curve of the plane. The aisle seats tend to have the most room.

I use a rolling backpack as my carryon - it fits under the seat and has compartments to help me keep somewhat organized.

Mine is a LL Bean rolling backpack - this one in black:
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...ry=5180&cat4=2951&shop_method=pp&feat=5180-tn

TJ

Based on the dimensions, this bag will not fit under an aisle seat on Southwest. I have a regular duffel bag that is 12"W x 7"H x 16" L, and space under the aisle seat is too narrow to accommodate it--even though it squishes. It will fit under the center or window seats on most Southwest jets.

I've finally given up finding the perfect bag. I take my rolling laptop case with laptop, change of clothing & basic toiletries, and my small duffel with a tote bag inside it--just in case I'm stuck in an aisle seat. My reading material and files are in the tote and can be removed from the duffel for the flight if necessary. My two bags combined--duffel and rolling laptop case--are smaller than one of the regulation carry-on bags, so there hasn't been an issue with both in the overhead bin--yet! :)

Keep in mind that the bag has to be completely under the seat. It cannot be close to your feet due to rules about having a clear path in an emergency evacuation.

Based on the dimensions, this bag will not fit under an aisle seat on Southwest. I have a regular duffel bag that is 12"W x 7"H x 16" L, and space under the aisle seat is too narrow to accommodate it--even though it squishes. It will fit under the center or window seats on most Southwest jets.

I've finally given up finding the perfect bag. I take my rolling laptop case with laptop, change of clothing & basic toiletries, and my small duffel with a tote bag inside it--just in case I'm stuck in an aisle seat. My reading material and files are in the tote and can be removed from the duffel for the flight if necessary. My two bags combined--duffel and rolling laptop case--are smaller than one of the regulation carry-on bags, so there hasn't been an issue with both in the overhead bin--yet! :)

Interesting, especially since as I have flown for 2 years on SWA, Jet Blue and American with this bag. Since August it has been on 4 SWA r/t flights as well as a Delta express the first weekend in December. It was a very small airplane, seated 2/2 with only about 12 rows and it also fit fine under my seat - I had the window.

TJ

I recently bought the Avanti flight bag at Rick Steves' store. This is the one.

It fit beautifully under my seat on my SW flights, and allowed for my camera bag from REI to fit next to it.

Rick Steves also has a wheeled Avanti.

And if you look around his site, you'll notice that even his biggest bags are meant to be carried on (though they wouldn't fit under a seat), b/c that is how his tours are conducted (only carry-on'able bags allowed).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter