How complete is AK?

• It's complete - only fine tuning needed

• Almost there - needs a strong addition

• It's a 1/2 day Park - needs no less than BK

• Woefully lacking - nees BK & more

Results are only viewable after voting.
C

Captain Crook

Will all of our discussion about TS & AK lately I'd like to know just how my fellow DIS'ers feel about the AK status with regard to its being a complete Park.

I think the main problem in AK is the reliance on shows as attractions. Personally I think the shows should be considered the frosting for the cake. If you look at the map, the park has 4 attractions. That's not enough for a full day at the park....unless you enjoy zoos...

But remember...it's Nahtazu!

I am opposite of you HBK. After my last visit, I now would be thrilled with a "Soarin" clone & a new land in development...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

It's a half day thing for us. Bring on BK!!!

I voted almost there but we will travel halfway across the country to see a zoo. So color us wacky but a Disney zoo is particularly wonderful for us.

What this park needs desperately in my opinion is a restaurant or two. I can't believe that the Rainforest is it!

I think the park needs BK and more than that if BK isnt a BIG addition to the park. I wouldnt pay a single day admission fee to get into the park. I would go as a park hopper and visit another park when done but wouldnt pay the full price on its own to visit the park.

It's a half day for us. We also visit while on hoppers, but never ever if we had to pay full day admission. It needs at least one more full blown ride with e-ticket treatments. It needs a couple more minor diversions that appeal to my whole family. It needs one more full sit down restaurant inside the park.

We DO visit on hoppers though. Does that make it a success to us? Don't know.

I guess I kind of now think of AK as a new Attraction at WDW, and not a full theme park.

Half full or half empty. DAK is a park that begs to be really investigated for more than an amusement park. I see it as a garden oasis with a few amusements for the people who cannot take time to smell the flowers in abundance. There are so many hidden spots, DW and I are amazed that we never see anyone in many of the most beautiful places. I do hope that BK and Australia are added but if you haven't explored all of the paths and trails, then Universal was meant for you. DW, MIL and I just spent a whole day at AK and did not have time for everything. New parade was the best we have seen at WDW and TR is still our favorite show. :smooth: :bounce:

I agree with DisneyFanGuy. I would never skip AK because I usually go in the winter & the place is just gorgeous for this jersey girl/native new yorker. But I always use it in conjunction with a hopper...I make an evening excursion to another park. I'd never pay full price.

I do think where Disney fell down is that they didn't make a big enough effort to bring in the local cultures that relate to the lands they have. They could have put in Worldshowcase type additions here that would be of interest. To make it in keeping with Animal Kingdom they could have themed it on farming in these areas. Especially in Asia...talk about a land in need of entertainment.

Full day for me with the shows and the animals but I love zoos. Now if they would only have an interpreter for the Safari. But I do love the animals.

AK needs something to keep the people in. Many simply see or ride their favorite things and leave. I go just to watch the little kids freak out in A bug's life show. It's worth it.

I really love it when I'm in the mood to "meander". It's a great park for our 3 year old with all the animals and paths. I understand what folks mean when they say they wouldn't pay a full day admission; if you're looking for rides it definitely falls short. I would guess that it's appeal would be limited for older kids/teenagers.

However, it really works for our family right now. It's a gorgeous setting for a peaceful, low-key day. I also feel that for a small child, it's a better choice than Epcot.

I voted for almost there though that isn't the right answer for me. My opinion is that it is between a half day park and almost there. I can personally spend a whole day there as I love the trails and waterfalls and flowers and such. I do undertstand that for lots of other people there needs to be more rides and I would like that too. It needs to be like the MK and Epcot where it takes a day and a half to see everything. As far as Beastly Kingdom goes. alot people seem to think that the "E" ticket attraction will be a coaster. That will not help that much. Suddenly the addition of one coaster will make it change from a half day park to a full day park? Even if it isn't a coaster and is a longer more imersive attraction it won't add but another 45 minutes. It will depend on what else Disney decides to put in there. BK needs two "E" tickes or at leats and "E" ticket and a "D" ticket with another couple of smaller attractions. Then it will be close to but not quite a full day park for most everyone. They will need to add another section (or a couple more attractions) along with BK to make it a full day park for the general Public. It would become a two day park for me.

Seems I'm in Safari #3 on this one. To round out AK, it needs a major land with at least two more major attractions.

It's clear that many guests think that AK IHZAZU. And it's the zoo-like offerings that appeal least to us. Especially when compared to what we could be doing with our time elsewhere on property. Perhaps the problem for us is that we have Miami Metrozoo, Parrot Jungle & Gardens and Fairchild Tropical Gardens all within a 15 minute drive from our house. These are marvelous and wonderful places and we spend quite a bit of time at each. When we make the 3.5 hour drive up to Lake Buena Vista we yearn to do what we cannot do at home. So, AK loses out.

It's odd how even though I travel up to WDW so often, I still treasure every precious second that I'm up there. I like to squeeze the life out of the place each and every day. Hours spent on treks, trails and paths don't make for highly valuable time spent for us.

I think AK is a full park for me, and people like me who only go to WDW once every few years, but I can see where it isn't for those folks that go more often. It needs a mythical land.

I think what AK needs depends on what the goal is for the park. If its to be a true stand-alone for the masses, worthy of a full price one-day ticket, it definitely needs a full land, maybe 2, with 2-3 E-tickets, and 8-10 B-D's. (Admittedly, these numbers are not based on any type of scientific study, but rather are pulled out of my ear as I head into a conference call...).

But if the goal is for it to be a supplement to the other three, one that attracts guests for a 1/2 day here, and a 1/2 day there, and only the die-hard animal lovers pay full price, then it is nearing completion. Or at least its nearing a state of adequate completeness, if that makes sense.

I voted almost there. I think a Start On Beastly Kingdom. An honest start (meaning that it isn't just a ride, but a themed land, maybe it still has but one E-ticket, but no supporting stuff, but a mythical trail maybe. Also, they need to get out of the Rain Forest deal and open a Disney resturant. possibly 2. Good food will bring in the masses.

Good point, YoHo. The current restaurant deal is detrimental to the growth of the park.

>>What this park needs desperately in my opinion is a restaurant or two.

Well, they had the Flame Tree and they closed it. That was my favourite place to eat, perhaps in any Disney park, not because of the food, but because of the location, eating down by the water. It's such a beautiful spot in the park and they close it. Instead, they open another McDs fries place. The eating places are all inside now or on patios. Nothing that feels out in the jungle. It's like the eating places were thrown in as an after thought. I guess they weren't planning on people sticking around very long.

Yes, but flame tree wasn't a sitdown was it?

They need a full sit down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter