• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKV "Way Out There"????

Budshark

DIS Veteran
I keep reading a lot of people stating AKV is "way out there", "too far away", etc.

My question is whether it really is. We just bought in to AKV, and have only been to WDW once. I don't seem to recall it being sooo far away. Is this a case where people are looking at a map - or is there really something to this?

To me, it seems great because its next to a theme park, not far from Epcot and MGM - and as far as MK is concerned your still on property. I guess I don't see where the comments are coming from - but I don't have enough first hand experience to know.

Thanks!
Chris

I have stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge and I didn't have a problem with it being to far. I loved it there so much that I bought points at AKV.

I keep reading a lot of people stating AKV is "way out there", "too far away", etc.

My question is whether it really is. We just bought in to AKV, and have only been to WDW once. I don't seem to recall it being sooo far away. Is this a case where people are looking at a map - or is there really something to this?

To me, it seems great because its next to a theme park, not far from Epcot and MGM - and as far as MK is concerned your still on property. I guess I don't see where the comments are coming from - but I don't have enough first hand experience to know.

Thanks!
Chris

My husband is one of those, he doesn't like the fact there is no park to walk to or more importantly for him DTD. But remember that's his opinion and you don't have to agree with him(I don't all the time:rotfl2: ). I will probably be able to twist his arm and try AKV once the whole thing is done, but it would only be for a few nights and probably on a car rental trip that we weren't planning on doing a lot of the parks.

He timed the bus rides last trip :rolleyes: , and AK took the longest to get to from SSR.

As you will find out, people here have strong opinions about the DVC resorts and get rather fired up if you love one they dislike or dislike one they love.:headache: .

I thought the rides to Epcot and the Magic Kingdom seemed really long when I stayed at the AKL. MGM didn't seem too bad. I usually stay at an Epcot area resort or the POFQ, which are more centralized. It just seems more remote.

Thanks!
Chris

It's all relative.

You're not "on top" of the parks, but transport (using the Disney busses) is excellent because you don't share with anyone else. Typically, a bus ride to MK (the furthest park) takes between 15 and 20 min....10 to 15 if you have your own car. To me, that's not "way out there". To others, it is. It all depends on your perspective. In comparision to most of the other resorts (all but the All Stars), it's a further trek to the parks. "Further", for me, doesn't mean "too far". :)

In addition, I sorta like it's "remoteness" from some of the hustle and bustle.

One of the main complaints about AKL prior to the announcement of AKV was in fact that it was too far away from everything else. That may be one of the reasons the AKL usually has rooms available when other resorts don't.

For DVC members though, the remoteness may be a good thing. In our case, we have been to the parks enough for 3 lifetimes already and being there at rope-drop just isn't that important. A couple hours of park time a day is usually sufficient. I'm sure that many will still find the travel time to the parks (except AK) to be unacceptable though and I expect to see many threads on this topic once AKV opens.

AKL and AKV are next to a theme park; unfortunately, walking hasn't been permitted to Animal Kingdom. Those who say it's far away from everything are folks who would prefer visiting EPCOT, MK, or MGM. If you are an AK lover then AKL and AKV will suit you nicely.

I really feel that Disney will be devloping the area around AKL and AKV over the next 10+ years. AKL and AKV may seem remote to some, but future Disney projects may change those opinions over time. The new shopping, dining and lodging district Disney announced about 6 weeks ago should be a sign that the western edge of WDW has been earmarked for future developments.

Funny it being way out of the way was one reason we bought there.

We love the AKL because it's on property so you get all the benefits, EMHs, Transportation, without being in the middle of everything. There is also something "magic" about the space, we love savanna, and the atmosphere.

Can't wait to go for the first time in Oct.

johno

It all depends on where you want to be and how you want to spend your time. AKV is on property, but Disney owns an amazing amount of land. If you love spending time at AKV, that could trump any concerns about the commute -- spending time at the resort can be a big part of the experience. But if you have to be near MK, VWL (and eventually CRV?) is across the lake. BCV and BWV are next to Epcot and pretty centrally located, and SSR is across from DTD. Ultimately, we chose VWL based on our love of the Lodge more than anthing else. Unless you spend all of your park time in a single park, there is a certain amount of commuting involved in any lengthy visit to Disney -- but probably more with AKV than the others at this time.

The new shopping, dining and lodging district Disney announced about 6 weeks ago should be a sign that the western edge of WDW has been earmarked for future developments.
What is this- do you have link to the announcement/press release?

To the OP- pilferk said it best- "It's all relative" I don't find the area inconvenient at all- Anywhere on property is good enough for me- others are super particular about location, needing to be walking distance from a park. For me, I would rather take a 15 minute bus ride home from a park than walk for 15minutes- after walking all day.

Far is a relative thing where Disney is concerned. Going to any park via bus is no issue, and we stayed at AKL before without issues. I do think getting to AK park from the other resorts is an issue, but not from AKL. I don't remember if the bus service to MK was bad from there, but since it didn't stick in my memory, I'd say it wasn't an issue either.

When we are at Disney, we just go with the flow anyway. No need to be in a rush.

And I couldn't be happier.

I stayed at BWV once, and it was nice to be able to walk to EPCOT. However, I don't consider that the Holy Grail of vacationing the way many people seem to. But as long as a lot of people make that their priority, that will increase my chances to be able to switch to AKV sometimes.

What is this- do you have link to the announcement/press release?

It was announced right along side the 4 seasons resort announcement. I'll try to track down the PR and edit this post with a link.

Edit: allears.net has it up

http://www.allears.net/news/hnews.htm#030107

http://www.allears.net/news/hnews0307.htm

VALUE-ORIENTED DESTINATION – MIXED-USE TOURISM DISTRICT

On the western edge of the resort, Disney is planning a mixed-use tourist commercial district just outside Disney’s gateway entrance. The master-planned development is comparable in size to Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

The project combines third-party branded lodging, retail and dining in a pedestrian-friendly environment and will be another example of Disney’s commitment to unique placemaking. Located outside Disney’s gateway around the interchange where Western Way meets the Western Beltway, early development plans include 4,000 - 5,000 low- to mid-rise, value-priced lodging units and 300,000 - 500,000 square feet of commercial space. Designed around a retail village, the development will become a convenient shopping and service center for Cast Members, nearby residents and Central Florida visitors.

The project is currently in the design stage. Site work and branding is anticipated to begin later this year. The project will be built in phases over the next 8 - 10 years.

When we've stayed at VWL or BW, we usually drive to AK or AKL if we're going to dinner there; but we do that not because the bus ride is too far, but because the busses make too many stops - so since we have a car on property we just drive. However, the time we stayed at AKL and went to all the parks from there - we thought the busses were just fine. I don't remember them making extra stops - it was a straight route (best I can remember). So what I think I'm trying to say is that from AKL/AKV we would probably use the bus transportation and enjoy being in a "remote" area and not consider it a drawback. When staying elsewhere - it seems an eternity to get to AKL so we'll use our car!

I am one who doesn't "love" the location of AK, but that wouldn't keep us from staying there in the future. It is the same reason I don't like the All Stars, felt too much on the "edge" of WDW for me. If I'm going to be that far out, I'll save $$ and stay at a Marriott to be honest.

It's all relative.

You're not "on top" of the parks, but transport (using the Disney busses) is excellent because you don't share with anyone else. Typically, a bus ride to MK (the furthest park) takes between 15 and 20 min....10 to 15 if you have your own car. To me, that's not "way out there". To others, it is. It all depends on your perspective. In comparision to most of the other resorts (all but the All Stars), it's a further trek to the parks. "Further", for me, doesn't mean "too far". :)
I agree. And since AKL doesn't share buses with any other resorts, while you might travel a longer distance to get to/from the MK than if you were staying at BWV for example, you might actually spend the same amount of time on the bus since the bus makes no other stops along the way. You cannot make that same comparison with regards to getting to/from Epcot or MGM however since you can walk there from BWV, or take a boat for some variety. I do love being able to walk to Epcot from BWV, but I'm willing to give that up on occasion in exchange for the animal experience at AKL.

In addition, I sorta like it's "remoteness" from some of the hustle and bustle.
I agree. We like the remote feeling of AKV. When you are on your balcony looking out over the savannah, you can imagine you are in Africa. DH and I have typically spent some time just hanging out at the resort when we've stayed at AKL, watching the animals, sitting around the fire, hanging out at the pool, eating at Boma, Jiko and the Mara. I can't wait to see the menu for the new restaurant in Kidani Village! I hope it's as vegetarian friendly as Boma and Jiko.

Our favorite DVC resorts are SSR, OKW and BWV. Those three resorts are all grouped pretty closely together on one side of WDW property. When we recently stayed at AKL, it felt like we were very far from our "sweet spot."

That said, I don't think AKL is comparatively far from the theme parks to any noteworthy degree. It is pretty far away from DTD, which is a big deal to us since we visit there often during a trip.

As far as the new western development goes, I think there's one particular line from the press release that may differentiate this development from being Downtown Disney 2:

"...the development will become a convenient shopping and service center for Cast Members, nearby residents and Central Florida visitors."

Notice how they mention the audience as CMs, residents and "Central Florida visitors". Nowhere does is specifically mention Walt Disney World guests. I think the wording chosen is very significant.

In my mind, I'm seeing the retail development here as being more along the lines of a grocery store, dry cleaner, video store (they still exist, right?), instant oil change, and so on. With the first target market mentioned being Cast Members, I see this as Disney trying to capitalize on the dollars CMs spend to run their lives. They are giving CMs a convenient place to do their shopping or get their car fixed while going to and from work.

If my take on this is correct, I'll be very surprised if Disney actually runs any transportation between existing resorts or parks and this development. The hotels will all be independently owned, like the ones outside of the current DTD, so they will have to provide their own transportation.

As for the location, Disney said the development would be outside of the gate they constructed on the western side. We arrived via that route on our last trip and the gate is at least a couple miles from AKL.

Our favorite DVC resorts are SSR, OKW and BWV. Those three resorts are all grouped pretty closely together on one side of WDW property. When we recently stayed at AKL, it felt like we were very far from our "sweet spot."

That said, I don't think AKL is comparatively far from the theme parks to any noteworthy degree. It is pretty far away from DTD, which is a big deal to us since we visit there often during a trip.

As far as the new western development goes, I think there's one particular line from the press release that may differentiate this development from being Downtown Disney 2:

"...the development will become a convenient shopping and service center for Cast Members, nearby residents and Central Florida visitors."

Notice how they mention the audience as CMs, residents and "Central Florida visitors". Nowhere does is specifically mention Walt Disney World guests. I think the wording chosen is very significant.

In my mind, I'm seeing the retail development here as being more along the lines of a grocery store, dry cleaner, video store (they still exist, right?), instant oil change, and so on. With the first target market mentioned being Cast Members, I see this as Disney trying to capitalize on the dollars CMs spend to run their lives. They are giving CMs a convenient place to do their shopping or get their car fixed while going to and from work.

If my take on this is correct, I'll be very surprised if Disney actually runs any transportation between existing resorts or parks and this development. The hotels will all be independently owned, like the ones outside of the current DTD, so they will have to provide their own transportation.

As for the location, Disney said the development would be outside of the gate they constructed on the western side. We arrived via that route on our last trip and the gate is at least a couple miles from AKL.

Ok..Ok...I can't resist, but looking at these artists rendorings of the new development on the western edge I don't see a spot for an instant oil change place anywhere. :lmao:

http://216.147.203.40/news/0307Expansion3.jpg

http://216.147.203.40/news/0307Expansion2.jpg

In all seriousness you make very good points. I just think that the Western Beltway project was done for a reason. Disney must have some sort of long range plan or else they wouldn't have bothered with connecting the road to there property.

In my mind, I'm seeing the retail development here as being more along the lines of a grocery store, dry cleaner, video store (they still exist, right?), instant oil change, and so on.

It's good to hear that development won't be too close to AKL, but perhaps just close enough to provide a convenient place to go grocery shopping when staying at AKV.

It's good to hear that development won't be too close to AKL, but perhaps just close enough to provide a convenient place to go grocery shopping when staying at AKV.

Personally we've always used the Target, exit 12 from the Turnpike, coming from the airport. Or the Publix that is just up the road off of SR 192. Which will be really nice for DAKV, since you can get there by turning right off the lodge road, on to Sherberth.

johno

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter