• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKV "Way Out There"????

I just think that the Western Beltway project was done for a reason. Disney must have some sort of long range plan or else they wouldn't have bothered with connecting the road to there property.

Oh, I think it was very much part of a long range plan. I just don't see it as a clone of DTD. Why spend hundreds of millions of dollars just to replicate what they already have? I can't believe there is a waiting list of vendors dying to get into DTD which would justify a second development. The target market MUST be different.

I think this project is a way to profit from land Disney already owns while maintaining control of the property (certainly a major consideration). If you're Disney, think of the sales pitch you can offer to vendors. They have a built-in audience of 55,000+ Cast Members coming-and-going on a regular basis. Add to that the thousands of locals who visit the parks daily, local FL residents and guests staying at the non-Disney hotels nearby. Even if the area isn't openly branded as being "Disney", throw in a few hidden Mickey's here and there and you'll have people going out of their way to visit this marketplace instead of others.

I'll add that I'm not saying any of this to diminish AKL...I just wouldn't use this announcement as a major factor in a purchase decision since there are so many unknowns.

Personally we've always used the Target, exit 12 from the Turnpike, coming from the airport. Or the Publix that is just up the road off of SR 192. Which will be really nice for DAKV, since you can get there by turning right off the lodge road, on to Sherberth.

johno

We've used that publix, when we last stayed at AKL, to buy water, etc for the room. It was MUCH less expensive than goodings, and MUCH closer to AKL.

That's likely where we'll go when we arrive "home" to AKV in January.

It's good to hear that development won't be too close to AKL, but perhaps just close enough to provide a convenient place to go grocery shopping when staying at AKV.

LOL, that was my first thought too.

Publix is pretty close....if there were something closer I certainly wouldn't complain!

Maybe they'll put one of the Disney "overstock" stores there (whatever they're called..where they sell the outdated merchandise, 2nds, etc...I remember there was one at a mall near WDW but haven't been in years...does it still exist?)

Personally we've always used the Target, exit 12 from the Turnpike, coming from the airport. Or the Publix that is just up the road off of SR 192. Which will be really nice for DAKV, since you can get there by turning right off the lodge road, on to Sherberth.

johno
Thanks for the info. Consumer Reports did a report on supermarkets some time back and Publix was pretty highly rated as I recall. So we'll check that out on our first trip "home" to AKV!

Thanks for the info. Consumer Reports did a report on supermarkets some time back and Publix was pretty highly rated as I recall. So we'll check that out on our first trip "home" to AKV!

You do realize that the Publix to which you are referring is on the property of another timeshare: Orange Lake Country Club. Be careful as your venture onto the dark side!!! :rotfl:

-- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter