Alarmingly thin Sleeping Beauty at Royal Hall

Dl1951

So you consider the one princess fat is that what you're saying? Wow that's not my perspective.
I would really hate to know what you may think of me then.
Which is why I will never post a picture of myself here or even hang one of those LGM heads off of any part of my appendages.
What looks good or healthy to one person may not to another. It is a matter of personal perspective.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed or at least the picture taken down. That picture and the posts that follow make me sad. Imagine if the cm finds this with the discussion of whether she is too fat? I am not into that.

Besides, if this is all whether certain women are suited for the role... Whereas belle and Cinderella are a little more curvy ( and Ariel and Rapunzel petite) by virtue of the movies and the design of their costumes, Aurora is more willowy. I've seen that costume go wrong on many a SKINNY but curvy girl, as looks to be the case with the girl in the pic. The best Auroras have a straighter build, IMHO, because of the costume.

And the cm from the original post might just have been a slim girl who dropped a few pounds due to one of the flus going around. Imagine if Disney pulled a cm every time that happened. I'm glad to find imperfections in the girls. Normal.

Dl1951

So you consider the one princess fat is that what you're saying? Wow that's not my perspective.
I would really hate to know what you may think of me then.

This is the mentality I was alluding to when I mentioned that someone pointing out a princess being not super skinny will be handslapped.

For what it's worth, Sleeping Beauty's dress in that photo is ill-fitted and the new dress being worn in the park is much more form-fitting. That being said, I love and value every bit of information I've received from the people on these boards. I do. But the people declaring open season on a CMs size and justifying it by saying Disney shouldn't skew or mess with their child's (or their own) perception of what these princesses should look like? I just don't even know what to say. I think I'll just stick with teaching my children to be tolerant and non-judgemental of others.

I guess my reasoning for continuing with this conversation is that everyone assumes OP is wrong when we have no way to tell either way.

(It's also been a civil conversation about a complex subject, which I appreciate).

As a Disney Freak, as I am sure so may on this board would have to admit, the last thing on my mind while imersed in the Disney magic in the parks, is to even think about being "judgemental" about the CMs, or even other guests in the park.

I'm far from perfect, but could not remember a time in the last few years that I even noticed a CM distracting from our Magic. Nor do I look for it.

I did remember a family at Steakhouse 55 that all chewed with their mouth open. I thought for a second, how horrible, but then realized how much fun they were having, and thought, they were as fortunate as I to even be eating at a place as I was after visiting the happiest place on earth. And they paid the same price I did

Enjoy the magic, and dont look for reasons not to.

I guess my reasoning for continuing with this conversation is that everyone assumes OP is wrong when we have no way to tell either way.

I'm not sure it's so much a matter of being wrong or right. There are so many things people could point out about others that would be the absolute truth, they just have the decency and good sense not to because nothing but hurt or self-consciousness could come from it.

I'm not sure it's so much a matter of being wrong or right. There are so many things people could point out about others that would be the absolute truth, they just have the decency and good sense not to because nothing but hurt or self-consciousness could come from it.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!!

Call me any names you want, but I personally don't see a thing wrong with scrutinizing the presentation of the characters. Anyone chosen to portray a princess, which is a role model to who knows how many little girls, ought to be within normal guidelines for body image. If she's not, then she shouldn't be in that position.

Personally, I want role models for my daughter to come in all shapes and sizes. Our daughters are pummeled non-stop with images of what a 'normal' girl is supposed to look like and what a 'normal' body size is, and I welcome ANY opportunity to show them different. Why should role models have to be 'within normal guidelines for body image,' as long as they are healthy?

Mousequake said:
Personally, I want role models for my daughter to come in all shapes and sizes. Our daughters are pummeled non-stop with images of what a 'normal' girl is supposed to look like and what a 'normal' body size is, and I welcome ANY opportunity to show them different. Why should role models have to be 'within normal guidelines for body image,' as long as they are healthy?

Yah.....what she said.

Characters most certainly need to have the right look for their character. So, I can see why the OP would have an issue. That being said, I have found Disneyland has done better than Disney World.

I'm reading this thread and trying to keep my mouth shut, because, let's face it, we all have our own opinions about what is acceptable to think, and / or say out loud, and wether OP was making an innocent observation or was down right rude. It's not as black or white as say, bashing a person in a wheelchair for maybe slowing you down. And likely, as we all state our opinion, none of us are much swayed by another's comments. (ok, I was a little swayed by Tom's "a character must look the part", but also, I was at DL last week, and the slender CM who played Aurora did look the part.)

Anyhow, after I stayed out of this conversation all day yesterday, I had to crack up when I was checking FB late last night. The picture DL posted of their announcement regarding Merida's induction to the princess line up had included all the official princesses. - The Aurora was distinctly thinner than the rest. Just thought I'd share. (hopefully my commentary is not offensive to anyone)

I too debated about saying something about this, but it too has struck close to home! I just would like to inform the original poster that yes, some of us ARE that thin. I am currently 38 years old, I've had 3 children and I currently weigh 95lbs. I'm 5'2 and never had an eating disorder. Because of comments like this one about a princess has given me my own body image issues. I can't tell you how many strangers have come up to me in my life and said to me "OMG....you're soooo skinny! do you ever eat?" Yet if someone were to say to an over weight person "OMG....you're soooo fat! do you ever stop eating?" that would be beyond wrong. unfortunately we are a society now where being thin is very much the minority, and we tend to stick out so to speak. Would I love to weigh more then I do? YOU BET! But I can't be alone since they still make size 0 clothes. And I agree with previous posters that we want the characters to look like the characters! But just remember that words hurt and never assume anything. you know what they say when you assume things! ;) so choose your words wisely, and treat people the way you would like to be treated.

Because IF the princess is truly "scary skinny," it isn't healthy. I have 4 girls in a wide range of ages and I am SICK of them being blasted by constant skinny pressure. I'm SICK of hearing their beautiful, healthy friends bemoan how "fat" they are and limit their food intake. I'm SICK of my gymnast asking me if I think she's too fat because that's what her peers are constantly asking themselves, trying to measure up to fashion models and anorexic actresses. And when does it start? You got it...at the princess ages.

I don't see why anyone thin or overweight is taking this personally. You may not have an eating disorder etc but you must know that it isn't the norm to be naturally very very thin, and to achieve it most people would need to take drastic measures. I do strongly object to glorifying skinny body image for that reason, and having super thin princesses just starts the process earlier.

Because IF the princess is truly "scary skinny," it isn't healthy. I have 4 girls in a wide range of ages and I am SICK of them being blasted by constant skinny pressure. I'm SICK of hearing their beautiful, healthy friends bemoan how "fat" they are and limit their food intake. I'm SICK of my gymnast asking me if I think she's too fat because that's what her peers are constantly asking themselves, trying to measure up to fashion models and anorexic actresses. And when does it start? You got it...at the princess ages.

I don't see why anyone thin or overweight is taking this personally. You may not have an eating disorder etc but you must know that it isn't the norm to be naturally very very thin, and to achieve it most people would need to take drastic measures. I do strongly object to glorifying skinny body image for that reason, and having super thin princesses just starts the process earlier.

You are taking it more personally than we are.

I don't think princesses are to blame. If the princesses were overweight I know for a fact that people here would be glorifying them.

Maybe people (including children) should stop looking at these FICTIONAL characters as role models. Why not focus on REAL people, rather than cartoons. Yes I have raised three daughters, and each one is vastly different.
They had true role models that they learned about and admired... Laura Ingalls Wilder for one, Juliette Gordon Low for another and the third, well she didn't really focus on anyone in particular, other than her baton coach, and twirlers that she loved to watch. While we did go to Disney every year, and one worked at the Disney store for two years and one did 2 semesters as a CP... a fictional character such as these were not role models, as a matter of fact they never cared to wait for photo's with them even.

Fact of the matter is, no real person will ever be the size of a cartoon character.

and yes, I did read all 76 comments before posting.

Of course I do not see the point in defiant/runaways as a role model anyway... which is the storyline in most of the princess tales.

You are taking it more personally than we are.

Really? I was trying to do the opposite. There were people attacking the OP for being "mean," using personal experience of having to deal with unkind remarks about being thin or overweight, which wasn't the point. However, I probably am more sensitive to this since I had an anorexic teenager who tried to commit suicide so I suppose that does color my thinking and creep into my rhetoric.

Maybe people (including children) should stop looking at these FICTIONAL characters as role models. Why not focus on REAL people, rather than cartoons. Yes I have raised three daughters, and each one is vastly different.
They had true role models that they learned about and admired... Laura Ingalls Wilder for one, Juliette Gordon Low for another and the third, well she didn't really focus on anyone in particular, other than her baton coach, and twirlers that she loved to watch. While we did go to Disney every year, and one worked at the Disney store for two years and one did 2 semesters as a CP... a fictional character such as these were not role models, as a matter of fact they never cared to wait for photo's with them even.

Fact of the matter is, no real person will ever be the size of a cartoon character.

and yes, I did read all 76 comments before posting.

Of course I do not see the point in defiant/runaways as a role model anyway... which is the storyline in most of the princess tales.

EXCELLENT points!!!!! Too bad we (society) put so much hero worship on fictional characters, the spoiled, and the rich.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter