Alcohol at Be Our Guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad and disappointing that a French styled dinner would serve wine? Sad and disappointing that you can consume alcohol in DHS and then ride ToT, or in Epcot and ride Test Track, or in AK and ride EE, but now it is a tragedy that you can have a glass of wine with dinner in the MK? People need to stop being so Ameri-centric and Puritanical. The rest of the world can consume a glass of wine it the non-U.S. Magic Kingdoms, but somehow the sky is falling if Americans can enjoy the same pleasure? I don't think so.

I couldn't agree more. I don't think keeping the Magic Kingdom dry really honors Walt Disney, anyway. The man wasn't exactly a teetotaler.

Wow. I might actually eat dinner at MK now.

All joking aside, there isn't a person on this board or elsewhere that will refrain from dining at BoG because of this news, but there are plenty of people who now will be attracted to going some place that they otherwise might have skipped. And that adds up to a good business decision. The increased difficulty that you now will face in trying to get an ADR will be all the proof you need that this was a smart move.

Call me ignorant (not really!), but why is this such a travesty? You can buy alcohol at all the other parks and resorts. What's the big deal that they will now be serving it AT A RESTAURANT in MK?

Well it's about time the Magic Kingdom caught up with it's otherwise "liberal" ways -and for anyone who thinks it's not appropriate to have a glass of wine or beer with a meal: Last time I checked with every doctor on the planet: Alcohol in moderation is good for your health. :)

The following is from http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/...beer-and-wine-in-disney-worlds-magic-kingdom/
"What kinds of wines and beers will be available? “The wines focus primarily on France’s famous wine-growing regions, including Champagne, Alsace, Loire, Rhone, Burgundy and Bordeaux,” says McGuire. “We’ll also offer the leading French beer, Kronenbourg 1664. And, staying in the general region, we’ll also offer Belgian beers.”
However, beer and wine will only be available inside the restaurant and at the table-service dinner only (not at counter-service lunch). Guests will not be able to get “to-go” cups of the stuff.[/I]

I am very unhappy with this decision!!!!! I'm sure it won't be long until they allow alcohol throughout the entire park. Not looking forward to dealing with the drunks in the MK like we have to at Epcot during the Food and Wine Festival!!!!! This is not something that I should have to worry about in a Disney park!!!!! :furious:

In a way, I dislike change and am not sure that the most kid-friendly-ish park should server alcohol. :littleangel: In a way, I think it's a good thing because it will bring MK in line with the rest of WDW. :scratchin Also, it will hopefully avoid those who might sneak into MK with alcohol (possibly in glass containers) and those who might drink elsewhere and come into MK plowed just because they can't get a beer there. :crazy2:

Frankly, it was bound to happen eventually. There's simply too much money to be made on alcohol sales. How about we all raise a glass of our favorite beverage-whatever it may be-to the New Fantasyland and celebrate? :goodvibes

I am very unhappy with this decision!!!!! I'm sure it won't be long until they allow alcohol throughout the entire park. Not looking forward to dealing with the drunks in the MK like we have to at Epcot during the Food and Wine Festival!!!!! This is not something that I should have to worry about in a Disney park!!!!! :furious:

I've never been to Epcot during the festival. I did run across a small group of drink-around-the-worlders on my last trip. Is it a big problem? I would have to think that it would be pretty limited to the time of the festival.

That would be awesome!

My guess is that a short while after wine is rolled out at BoG and the folks in the board room see the increase in per person spending, and do not see any negative impact on the park, you will see beer and wine at dinner only, with no take out option, at all of the MK sit downs as described above. I would put the over/under at 2015.
happydrunks.gif

F&W events will never migrate over to the MK. Do you encounter hoardes of drunks at Epcot on typical, non-F&W days? I don't.

Besides. If alcohol is limited to beer and wine, is limited to dinner service only at TS locations, and has no take away option, then how much can really be consumed, and by what percentage of people? You are way overthinking this if you think that there are going to be beer carts outside of Peter Pan.
Wine can be served in the MK without Main Street turning into Bourbon Street or Rush Street.

Sad and disappointing that a French styled dinner would serve wine? Sad and disappointing that you can consume alcohol in DHS and then ride ToT, or in Epcot and ride Test Track, or in AK and ride EE, but now it is a tragedy that you can have a glass of wine with dinner in the MK? People need to stop being so Ameri-centric and Puritanical. The rest of the world can consume a glass of wine it the non-U.S. Magic Kingdoms, but somehow the sky is falling if Americans can enjoy the same pleasure? I don't think so.

I'm believe I'm far from 'Ameri-centric' whatever that is or Puritanical. I drink. I don't have a problem with people drinking. However, I still believe that there should be one place (well, 2 with Disneyland) that still hold to Walt Disney's ideals. Alcohol is sold in all the other parks and all the resort hotels. Can't we keep one place intact the way Walt wanted it?

We have been doing this for years at Club 33 out at D'land and the park hasn't fallen apart yet. Don't see anyone walking around drunk after lunch or dinner either. You will all survive.

I've never been to Epcot during the festival. I did run across a small group of drink-around-the-worlders on my last trip. Is it a big problem? I would have to think that it would be pretty limited to the time of the festival.

No, it's not. Anti alcohol people just love to throw that out as some excuse. I've been to Food and Wine (and EPCOT in general) slews of times and I can honestly say I have never seen the drunken behavior people go on about.

It's whatever to me, don't really care either way...although the 30 something year old that about fell over my 7yo leaving Epcot the other evening because he could barely stand up was a bit annoying!!
The funny thing to me are the ones who get excited because they "need" it to get through the park, strange!!

iluvwdw4ever said:

Aside from Food & Wine, do you notice an abundance of "drunks" at the parks? I ask because alcohol is served there ALL THE TIME, not just during Food & Wine.

I've never encountered a drunk while at Disney. In fact, all the rude people I've encountered have been perfectly sober. I don't have a problem with the new decision. Besides, the wine and beer will be so overpriced that who could afford to get drunk?

I will admit to being quite intoxicated after a dinner at Narcoosee's. It would never have occurred to me to head back into the parks, though. I even felt a bit awkward having a nice conversation with a couple and their 3-year old waiting for the monorail. I did end up at Pleasure Island and had a great time sitting outside and listening to a nice band and leading a group of nice ladies in a (surprisingly stable) electric slide. :joker:

I think most people would agree that while this is certainly a big deal in the history of MK, it's not the end of the magic. There's a feeling that most everyone gets at the Magic Kingdom when you walk on to Main Street and see that castle. That rush of child-like wonder will likely overcome a lot of what some are worrying about. princess:

Sorry but the club 33 argument is wrong. Club "33" is a very exclusive members only restaurant and it is not open to the general public. i like a drink or two just like anybody else , but MK was dry for a reason.
Goes to show the almighty dollar wins over Walt's principles again

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter