All about the Autotrain

Just had a question about the train movements. I am SUPER sensative to things like this.:crazy2: I cant ride Jungle Cruise without feeling like I am going to heave. I got glasses and that has helped some but I also have tinitus really bad and I think that may be my issue. I rode on the train when I was 17 by myself 5 hrs from Deerfield ,Fl to Sanford, Fl to meet my Gma. I am now 41 and have 3 kids one of whom is Autistic/Epileptic and his favorite thing in the entire world besides Peanuts Characters is trains!! Soo for his 21st bday in March I want to do a trip from Deerfield beach, Fl to Sanford, Fl using the Auto train and then take him and his sisters to Universal as a suprise. Now I am worried about being sick on the trip and if I take dramamine I am out like a light. I am hoping to see a ENT soon and see if he can tell me if my ears are indeed the issue and how can we fix it. I kid you not when I say I wont even ride on a bus anymore because when it turns a corner the way the bus rolls kinda to side totally freaks me out and makes me want to :X ... Any advise is wonderful as I don't have much time. if I sit forward facing I do fine, backwards not going to happen. Any suggestions on the motion sickness will be greatly appreciated. We will prob go up on a Friday so I can rest if needed and do the parks Sat/Sunday. We also thought of driving back seeing its only 2 1/2 hours .. Thanks !! ~ Tonya ~

Just had a question about the train movements. I am SUPER sensative to things like this.:crazy2: I cant ride Jungle Cruise without feeling like I am going to heave. I got glasses and that has helped some but I also have tinitus really bad and I think that may be my issue. I rode on the train when I was 17 by myself 5 hrs from Deerfield ,Fl to Sanford, Fl to meet my Gma. I am now 41 and have 3 kids one of whom is Autistic/Epileptic and his favorite thing in the entire world besides Peanuts Characters is trains!! Soo for his 21st bday in March I want to do a trip from Deerfield beach, Fl to Sanford, Fl using the Auto train and then take him and his sisters to Universal as a suprise. Now I am worried about being sick on the trip and if I take dramamine I am out like a light. I am hoping to see a ENT soon and see if he can tell me if my ears are indeed the issue and how can we fix it. I kid you not when I say I wont even ride on a bus anymore because when it turns a corner the way the bus rolls kinda to side totally freaks me out and makes me want to :X ... Any advise is wonderful as I don't have much time. if I sit forward facing I do fine, backwards not going to happen. Any suggestions on the motion sickness will be greatly appreciated. We will prob go up on a Friday so I can rest if needed and do the parks Sat/Sunday. We also thought of driving back seeing its only 2 1/2 hours .. Thanks !! ~ Tonya ~

The AutoTrain only travels between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL.

To travel within FL on Amtrak, check their website.

As for train motion, I can only speak to the AutoTrain. If you can't handle a bus or the Jungle Cruise, then the AutoTrain is definitely not for you. The train sways and moves and pitches and bumps and slows and speeds up, etc.. At times it can be brutal for very short moments, like knock you nearly into someone's lap while walking in the dining car, and then it is fine again with only soft sways.

Finally booked our roomettes going northbound. Paid $138 per roomette. We are all set!
Is a roomette only for 2 people? Whenever I try and book my family of 5 it only offeres us the family bedroom. :confused3

The AutoTrain only travels between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL.

To travel within FL on Amtrak, check their website.

As for train motion, I can only speak to the AutoTrain. If you can't handle a bus or the Jungle Cruise, then the AutoTrain is definitely not for you. The train sways and moves and pitches and bumps and slows and speeds up, etc.. At times it can be brutal for very short moments, like knock you nearly into someone's lap while walking in the dining car, and then it is fine again with only soft sways.

oh your right I didnt realize the auto train didnt do pick ups other then in Sanford. I am wondering if the regular train dosent move as much? I know it sounds weird but when I was on it before I dont remeber it moving that much, but then years ago I didnt have this issue.. and I HATE it because my family is missing out on things because of it/me ;( Thinking there has to be a way for me to go and do this and not get sick at the same time. I really did like being on the train from what I can remember . It will be bitter sweet because it was the last place I saw my gma before she passed but hubby said he will help me through it. Thanks for your help !

oh your right I didnt realize the auto train didnt do pick ups other then in Sanford. I am wondering if the regular train dosent move as much? I know it sounds weird but when I was on it before I dont remeber it moving that much, but then years ago I didnt have this issue.. and I HATE it because my family is missing out on things because of it/me ;( Thinking there has to be a way for me to go and do this and not get sick at the same time. I really did like being on the train from what I can remember . It will be bitter sweet because it was the last place I saw my gma before she passed but hubby said he will help me through it. Thanks for your help !

The Lorton to Sanford route uses the CX freight rail tracks a lot. So yes, they are more bumpy (freight doesn't complain!)

It prob is more rough than other routes that use tracks made for passengers.

Good luck!

Anyone have reviews about coach travel using the auto train. Seems like most of the reviews here are based on roomettes and such. Wondering if we could do coach and still arrive smiling ;)

I agree with the PP, I can't see the regular train being any different.

Anyone have reviews about coach travel using the auto train. Seems like most of the reviews here are based on roomettes and such. Wondering if we could do coach and still arrive smiling ;)

I didn't find it too too bad. But if you are with people that complain about it the whole time the trip can be miserable. My daughter is still complaining 7 months later!! We are trying a roomette this year. Just me and DH this time.

A roomette is only for 2 people. It is very small.

see: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...dation_C&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1241210576173

two larger adults may be cramped. The bunks run wall to wall on length and you have less than 1 foot extra on the open side. My 20 yoa son and I moved two cars from VA to FL via a roomette and we were happy we could go to the lounge car and stretch out. Fortunately he was used to camping in a small tent and I to sleeping on board ships in small rooms . . . we're both 200 pounders and 6 foot plus tho . . .

a blogger I follow said this: Eventually, the car was loaded onto the train, and Nicole and I repaired to the World's Smallest Room for the next eighteen hours. It's only supposed to be sixteen hours, but this is Amtrak: that's pretty good performance.

I have done coach twice with my two kids. We are planning another trip in July. Take a pillow and blanket and a book or portable DVD player for the kids. Not the best night sleep but better than a regular train. Experience depends on the passengers around you. On our last trip home there were two older ladies sitting behind us who talked on their cell phones late into the night and early in the AM but otherwise we have had pleasant trips. We treat it like an adventure.

I see the price of a vehicle went up $7 since I booked.

My trip would cost $500 more now than when I booked. We are traveling in August and have a family bedroom going south and 2 roomettes going north. 2 adults 2 kids 8 and 5. Paid a little over $1400 round trip. Booked in sept 2013 Southbound with family bedroom..11 months out and northbound in November. Just added roomettes yesterday.
Don't be afraid to book separate legs of the trip to save.

I would book a roomette. $138 is a small price to pay for sanity.

I'm short and Pooh-sized and I've managed to climb into the upper bunk of a roomette twice now and been reasonably comfortable up there with my CPAP. I can't say I sleep well on trains, however.

We've done coach several times. We don't sleep as well as we do in sleepers, but for coach, the best thing to do is ask for the "last" car farthest from lounge and dining cars so there's less traffic. We never expect to get a great nights sleep, but we do get some sleep in coach. Our best sleep has been in a bedroom. We've decided from now on, we'll do roomette or bedroom heading south and coach north so we can be more rested when we get to FL. We live 45 min from Lorton so easy to head home and rest after. Our last trip we did Roomette down and coach back. We were in the last coach car and it really was much quieter than other cars. Plus, we are two adults so we weren't in the family car which is also a plus.

We just booked the auto train for the very first time! We reserved a roomette. Do we get seats in addition to the roomette or do we sit in the roomette? Sorry if this seems silly, we have never travelled by train before. The other question I have is when do we book our meals, when we check in? Thanks!

We just booked the auto train for the very first time! We reserved a roomette. Do we get seats in addition to the roomette or do we sit in the roomette? Sorry if this seems silly, we have never travelled by train before. The other question I have is when do we book our meals, when we check in? Thanks!

Your roomette is both your daytime seats plus your nighttime beds. Your room steward will set it up for you at night and again in the morning.

When you arrive at the station to check in, you'll choose your dining time.

Most popular is the early seating with elderly and families with young kids. This is usually 5pm. Then the second seating is around 7pm or 7:30pm and is popular with adults and families with older kids. The last seating is least popular and is around 9pm. There are usually no kids at this seating.

Times are first come, first serve. So the earlier you check into the station, the better your chances to get your preferred time.

Remember a party of two will be seated with another party of two. It's a great way to meet new friends.

Remember a party of two will be seated with another party of two. It's a great way to meet new friends.

What would they do with a party of 5? Would it be 4 & 1 or should I leave my 3 kids to sit with a stranger while my dh & I share a quiet meal!! Haha...

Or would we split up 3/2.

I really wish it was APRIL...brrr....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter