All about the Autotrain

We always do that too. We park in the parking lot, check in get the passes, then drive to lunch and grocery store for snacks. Then we do the car. There is no line at that time, and I see no benefit in checking it in early just to sit in the terminal extra hours.
Stock up on snacks. The menu is not as it used to be.

What we do is tell the attendant at the check in gate that you want to park, check in, and then go back out and get some lunch. Send in you or your husband. You will need your name and I'd ( in the name of whoever made the reservation is fastest. Select your dinner time (5, 7, 9--if the train is full), and get your boarding passes. 7 goes first, then 5, then 9 in order of popularity. Then goes back out, get in your car, and go get some food. There is a complex with a good, newer iHop, and a MCdonalds, plus a few other audio or sit down restaurants. Then at 1:30 or so, go back and go through the same check in line. They will then give you your car number. You will drive forward, unload what you need, and all of you enter the station at that point.

We now bring our own snacks, and wine. I have a nice bottle, plus some cheese, crackers, and grapes in a little cooler bag for our own reception.

That all being said, we still might do the train again next year, as it beats driving I-95 and finding a motel along the way. I might try to talk wife and kids into taking a one way flight home, and I’d get a roomette and take a sleeping pill.
So I’m home from my second trip on the Auto Train, and I’m sad to say I don’t think I’ll do it ever again.

My wife and kids flew home, and I was in a roomette by myself. I took a sleeping pill (generic Ambien) to help get me through the night, and I’m really not sure if it helped or hurt.

I take Ambien a few times a month and its effective for me. I’ve heard the stories of people having strange reactions with weird behaviors, and I wonder if I had one. I was so exhausted the next day, I feel like I might have been somewhat unconscious, but did not sleep. When I awoke at 6 AM or so, I felt awful with a mix of sleep deprivation and motion sickness (exhausted and on the edge of puking).

Now I don’t normally get motion sickness. I didn’t get it last year on the train, but I didn’t sleep at all and we were on the lower level in a family bedroom. I take a ~3 hour Amtrak trip every month or two and don’t have motion sickness, but always on single level trains.

I’m sad because I generally like the experience. And I have enough points to do it again for free. But I can’t justify doing it again when the day after is down-the-drain because of how awful I/we feel.

We went southbound last Monday and it was a great experience. Check in was smooth and we arrived in Sanford early..around 8am. The food seemed upgraded from last year...we had 2 roomettes as we travelled with our kids. We are riding it back north on Saturday and I will update then. We had lower level roomettes.

We came down on 8/25. We were suppose to return 9/2 but I got a call this morning that train was canceled due to tropical storm. Not looking forward to drive home.

Us too but we rebooked on 9/3 train. No sleepers left so stuck in business class but refuse to drive home.
I'm lucky that I booked a hotel overnight for 9/2 using points so nothing out of pocket.

We came down on 8/25. We were suppose to return 9/2 but I got a call this morning that train was canceled due to tropical storm. Not looking forward to drive home.
I'm so mad at Amtrak. No sleepers left so booked us in "business class" which still qualifies as coach. The refund I got for the different classes was a joke-$58 for having to find accommodations for an additional day and not being booked in a sleeper. I've filed a complaint and advise you to do the same.
Safe trip home.

I'm so mad at Amtrak. No sleepers left so booked us in "business class" which still qualifies as coach. The refund I got for the different classes was a joke-$58 for having to find accommodations for an additional day and not being booked in a sleeper. I've filed a complaint and advise you to do the same.
Safe trip home.
Thanks. They told me that Saturday could also be canceled so I opted not to book that and head home.

Thanks. They told me that Saturday could also be canceled so I opted not to book that and head home.
They told me the same but advised that if the storm isn't as feared they would reschedule Friday's train. My fingers are crossed. I can't do that drive.

I was a big proponent of the auto train but after this years mess I am done. I have enough points..read free for next year but I'm done after that. As you know they cancelled tomorrow's train and rebooked us for Saturday but can't provide the accommodation I paid for..roomettes. We are now in coach and the refund they gave me from coach to sleeper was $58! I called this morning to inquire about sleeping accommodations and was told there was a deluxe bedroom available but they want me to pay an additional $600 for it. After I have already had to shell out money for an extra hotel night and you can't provide me with the accommodation I expected and paid for, I should expend more money?? What a joke and the worst customer service out there. I'm done.

Update. They refunded me the proper amount between coach and sleeper.

Last edited:
Weather was too bad. We stopped in Savannah overnight. We're headed out shortly. Hope you are home safely jboucher

We just crossed into Virginia. Hope you are home jwboucher. South Jersey..12 miles from Philly.

arrived safely home . They cancelled tomorrow's train too so it was smart to drive.
We got home 11 last night. We took route I64 to I81 to avoid cities. The weather was great and traffic light. But it was a couple more hrs.

We got home 11 last night. We took route I64 to I81 to avoid cities. The weather was great and traffic light. But it was a couple more hrs.
We hit all the major cities..Jacksonville, Savannah, Columbia, Fayetteville, Richmond, DC, MD, DE and then finally NJ. There was no traffic and great weather. It rained a little, that's all. Glad you guys are safe. The storm is supposed to hit us today.
We got home at 8pm.

We are supposed to leave for FL next Saturday, 10/22. As of now trains are cancelled due to Matthew. They said to call Friday to see if they will be running. Don't want to wait till then to find out if we have to drive. Anyone drive now. Heard parts of 95 also closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter