All about the Autotrain

In case anyone is on the Southbound train tomorrow, the departure is currently delayed from 4pm to 11pm with estimated arrival in Sanford around 2:12pm Sunday.

I called Amtrak to find out what time we should arrive to load up. They recommended arriving at Lorton no later than 5pm for loading. They also strongly recommend confirming the estimated departure time tomorrow as times may change.

Auto Train
From Lorton, VA -Auto Train Only (LOR)

Scheduled - 4:00 pm Fri Jan 31, 2014
Estimated - (11:00 pm) Fri Jan 31, 2014 (estimated)
Estimated Departure Time: 7 hours late.

To Sanford, FL -Auto Train Only (SFA)
Scheduled - 9:30 am Sat Feb 1, 2014
Estimated - (2:12 pm) Sat Feb 1, 2014 (estimated)
Estimated Arrival Time: 4 hours and 42 minutes late.

They expect you to be there at 5 for a 11pm departure? I was delayed in Sanford till 8 pm and they said to check in by 6pm.

They expect you to be there at 5 for a 11pm departure? I was delayed in Sanford till 8 pm and they said to check in by 6pm.

Yeah, what are you supposed to do for six hours at the station? That doesn't seem right...

This is my first post. We are scheduling for the first week in November 2014. We'd like to do the Autotrain. I had heard it was less expensive to book significantly in advance. We are 2 adults and a five year old. A family bedroom is coming back at 982.00 down and 633.00 back add the car and we are at 2k round trip. I've read the first page of this thread and skimmed through the bulk of it. This seems significantly higher than what others are paying. Am I doing something wrong?

This is my first post! TallGuy - did they give you a reason for the delay? I've been watching the status of the AT (we'll be taking it in a few weeks) and it seems since the southern ice/snow storm, the trains have really been delayed. Thanks.

This is my first post. We are scheduling for the first week in November 2014. We'd like to do the Autotrain. I had heard it was less expensive to book significantly in advance. We are 2 adults and a five year old. A family bedroom is coming back at 982.00 down and 633.00 back add the car and we are at 2k round trip. I've read the first page of this thread and skimmed through the bulk of it. This seems significantly higher than what others are paying. Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, you are missing something -- the cheaper prices!!

We have been taking the auto train for about 12 one-way trips in 5 years and loving it. In the past if you booked at 11months prior, and then checked again at 10mos or so, you would have a good price ($1200-1400 for family of four including family room and vehicle round trip, meals, snacks)

However, this is the first year (2014) where prices are very high. In fact, we plan to drive down in late October since prices for us are over $1200 for AAA sleeper family car, one way!!! We used to get that for round trip just about...now they want one way for the same price! Yikes!

We were going to drive back but finally found a decent deal on the return in early November for only $100-150 more than we paid in 2013 so I grabbed it. Later that day it went back up.

So keep looking...it may come down but I'm afraid it won't go back to the better prices, as it is getting more popular.

Good luck!

Just booked southbound for 9/14. It came to $507.60 with AAA for 2 adults. I can't wait... Only 221 days to go!!

Instead of a family room, what about a deluxe bedroom.?

We were able to fit a 6 yr old, 10 yr old and myself on the lower bunk of the deluxe bedroom. My teen had the top bunk.

You can put the 5 yr old up on the top bunk and share the lower bunk with the other adult.

Deluxe should be cheaper than a family room and there are only 2 family rooms I believe on the AT. So they will charge a much higher price.

In case anyone is on the Southbound train tomorrow, the departure is currently delayed from 4pm to 11pm with estimated arrival in Sanford around 2:12pm Sunday.

I called Amtrak to find out what time we should arrive to load up. They recommended arriving at Lorton no later than 5pm for loading. They also strongly recommend confirming the estimated departure time tomorrow as times may change.

Auto Train
From Lorton, VA -Auto Train Only (LOR)

Scheduled - 4:00 pm Fri Jan 31, 2014
Estimated - (11:00 pm) Fri Jan 31, 2014 (estimated)
Estimated Departure Time: 7 hours late.

To Sanford, FL -Auto Train Only (SFA)
Scheduled - 9:30 am Sat Feb 1, 2014
Estimated - (2:12 pm) Sat Feb 1, 2014 (estimated)
Estimated Arrival Time: 4 hours and 42 minutes late.

I hope you checked again on the departure again bc it is now slated to leave at 730 pm according to their app.

Hope ur trip is uneventful and the train can make up some time.

Agree. Family rooms have always been cheaper than getting two roomettes or the deluxe bedroom with private shower., when I've looked. But keep looking...you never know...

While this is usually true, it is not true all the time. There is only 1 family room in each sleeper car. If they get booked (sometimes they don't) than the prices skyrocket. I have seen the sleeper more expensive than a deluxe a number of times, but not the majority of the time.

I am not sure how many Amtrak will allow in a Deluxe room anyway.

While this is usually true, it is not true all the time. There is only 1 family room in each sleeper car. If they get booked (sometimes they don't) than the prices skyrocket. I have seen the sleeper more expensive than a deluxe a number of times, but not the majority of the time. I am not sure how many Amtrak will allow in a Deluxe room anyway.

Exactly why I said to keep looking, you never know!

Only 3 people can book a deluxe bedroom. The family bedrooms usually cost more than deluxe bedrooms. Roomettes are normally cheapest! I lucked out and got a family bedroom for $252 for August and had to buy 2 roomettes on northbound for $278 for both! I paid a little over $1400round trip for 2 adults, 2 kids.

Just added it up $1430 2 adults, 2kids SUV, family bedroom southbound and 2 roomettes northbound. Booked family bedroom southbound in September 2013 Coach fare northbound bought in November 2013. Then last month added the 2 roomettes when the price dropped.

A strategy I used was to book fares one way. If you choose round trip ,fares are sometimes higher. Also call to book, sometimes agents find lower fares.

So we're gonna try this again. The other year due to Hurricane Sandy the railways were shut down while we were there checking in at the station. So we've yet to go on the AT.

When I looks at Nov. to come north.....for 2 adults and 3 kids w/AAA in coach and 1 vehicle it comes to $507.30...if we want a bedroom it is $1263.30...YIKES! Looks like it will be coach. I'm trying to decide if we want to hop on the train as soon as we get off the cruise ship or stayover 1 night and go to the beach for the day before heading home. Either day costs the same.

I swear I just posted....

I booked each way separate. I did that because I booked on the first day I could.

We are going over April vacation, coming home on Easter. So while I would much rather fly, flights are $500-$700 RT from either NY/west chester or Hartford to Ft. Myers. Multiply that by 5 and yowzas....

Anyways RT was just under $1900. I did a family bedroom and a roomette for southbound and a family bedroom northbound.

If we like it I will book in May for next April. I am also thinking of driving down and taking the train home in 2015. I do t think I will get a cheap flight since our vacation starts on Good Friday.

Under 50 days this our first train ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter