Am I the only one underwhelmed by Riviera?

I have to agree with everything mystereevan said! The lack of theme doesn't bother me and the little touches of Disney they put in the rooms and halls are cute! I get a very modern and luxurious feel from the resort. I'm purchasing at RIV soon and can't wait to go!

The pipe situation is disappointing to hear. Haven't seen any other complaints. I wonder if anyone else is having this problem. Hopefully it gets rectified soon.

At BRV we hear the pipes, others in the adjoining room, people in the hallway. At CCV we heard the 9 o’clock water pageant. It’s not exclusive to Riviera. These are not deal breakers to us. Would not deter us to stay at Riviera.

What floor and wing did you stay in? Just curious if there’s a difference in location since there were definitely noises in the East wing on the 4th floor where I’m staying throughout the night.
We were on the 7th floor, east wing. I meant to add, I'm sorry - I hope it doesn't continue and you get some sleep.

Oh - last couple of stays have been in the months where it doesn't get light until after 6am. I've heard toilets flushing, sinks and showers going in other rooms starting around 6am for 7am park openings. This last trip we seemed to be next door to a studio that sounded like it was hosting a bachelor party (a tame one, but a party, nonetheless). It didn't wake our kids up, but I can imagine that they must have equally enjoyed our 5:30 am Rise of the Resistance wake up process the next day... 🙄

Do you feel the same way about standard view for Kidani and Boardwalk? Both resorts have driveway/Parking lot views.

Funny that- I stayed in both on one trip in 2018. The Boardwalk standard view is often very good, we were opposite the tennis courts- looked out onto a pond and trees. Kidani we had trees in front of us. There is then behined that a fairly narrow car park. In the distance there is the hotel access road. Not ideal, but nothing like Riviera which is a large expanse of parking lot, then a main highway. In neither Kidani or Boardwalk standard could you be in a Hampton Inn, looking out by the side of the freeway- you could at the lower floors of Riviera. I took a photo. If I ever stay in Riviera it will have to be preferred I am afraid, as I could not be guaranteed (and I predict almost everyone will request when they know what awaits) a high floor.

At BRV we hear the pipes, others in the adjoining room, people in the hallway. At CCV we heard the 9 o’clock water pageant. It’s not exclusive to Riviera. These are not deal breakers to us. Would not deter us to stay at Riviera.
The water pagent was going at 10.15 between Xmas and NY- a right racket- we were at BLT on Contempory side- surprised they did it so late.

We were on the 7th floor, west wing, in a standard 1-bedroom. I'm a super light sleeper and I couldn't believe how quiet our villa was so I'm sorry to hear others are hearing noise elsewhere in the resort. It was so quiet that we booked again for March hoping for a similar villa (high floor, west wing). We were once in a 1-bedroom at CCV and I heard the water pageant THREE times - from WL, Ft. W and CR. I thought I was going to lose my mind and, though I thought CCV was gorgeous, I don't think I could ever stay there again - the water pageant music makes me bonkers!

We did the RIV DVC tour in October - I LOVED the room - I’m a big fan of blue velvet! That being said - I’m not a big fan of the SkyLiner - I’m not good with heights and when we rode in December - it was a bit windy and I actually had a touch of motion sickness - and the POINTS! Yikes!

True- I acknowledged that. I suppose I’m just disappointed as it’s the only one we don’t even want to try and stay in. We have stayed in one me and my wife didn’t much care for (but my son loved) AKL (we don’t like the lack of walking and running spaces) but my son loves it so we will probably go back. Riviera is the only one the whole family said no to. I am a 1 bed sleep around booker- I like to stay in different resorts to give me different vacations each time. That’s why I bought in. Suppose I’m disappointed one is not included in that list from the off. Looks like Reflections will be more our scene.

I was thinking more about Riviera since I posted above. I think it’s the location alone that’s putting us off staying. If the same building and pools were set in a nicer area, surrounded by landscaping and trees, I may be more won over. We just stayed in BLT and we love that one, despite it not having a great aesthetic, but location and other positives outweigh the aesthetic negatives with BLT.

As suggested above, I know it’s best to stay in one to judge. I’m interested to hear anyone who was on the fence, owning elsewhere who stayed there and changed their opinion,
I have to reserve judgement as to whether I will like Riviera since I haven't seen the whole package yet....only the outside from the Skyliner when we were in November. We will be at AKV/Kidani in late February and I'm sure we'll make it a point to walk thru the public areas of Riviera at that time. I do agree, however, I'm not really impressed by the location. I did see on one of the posts above, Wakey, that you are a fan of SSR and you mention the lack of landscaping and trees at Riviera. One of our home resorts is SSR (the other is BRV/bought 2001)...bought way back in 2004...at the resort's grand opening event. I've always loved it there.....even when there was a lack of landscaping and trees....which there was the first few years. So, once everything begins growing in at Riviera you may have a different perspective...especially since you like the running path around the lake. You also mention you love BLT and we feel just the opposite there.....stayed once about 5 months after BLT opened.....have not ventured back. Too much glass and concrete.......felt stark and cold to us...of course..we were there in January....one of the coldest FL had seen in years! We like the warmth of woods, and color at a resort. Some say Boulder Ridge and AKV are too dark and while in some areas that may be the case...there is still a lot of warmth and color. I also feel we will like Reflections....maybe not as much as BRV...because we do really like the rustic feel there... and I think Reflections will have more of an arts and crafts feeling. I'm excited to see the finished product at Reflections though.

I have to reserve judgement as to whether I will like Riviera since I haven't seen the whole package yet....only the outside from the Skyliner when we were in November. We will be at AKV/Kidani in late February and I'm sure we'll make it a point to walk thru the public areas of Riviera at that time. I do agree, however, I'm not really impressed by the location. I did see on one of the posts above, Wakey, that you are a fan of SSR and you mention the lack of landscaping and trees at Riviera. One of our home resorts is SSR (the other is BRV/bought 2001)...bought way back in 2004...at the resort's grand opening event. I've always loved it there.....even when there was a lack of landscaping and trees....which there was the first few years. So, once everything begins growing in at Riviera you may have a different perspective...especially since you like the running path around the lake. You also mention you love BLT and we feel just the opposite there.....stayed once about 5 months after BLT opened.....have not ventured back. Too much glass and concrete.......felt stark and cold to us...of course..we were there in January....one of the coldest FL had seen in years! We like the warmth of woods, and color at a resort. Some say Boulder Ridge and AKV are too dark and while in some areas that may be the case...there is still a lot of warmth and color. I also feel we will like Reflections....maybe not as much as BRV...because we do really like the rustic feel there... and I think Reflections will have more of an arts and crafts feeling. I'm excited to see the finished product at Reflections though.

Agree with you on Wilderness Lodge, beautiful resort, in fact was there at Xmas to see the decorations, we are booking for next Xmas.
Yes BLT is a bit stark, although not as bad as Contemporary, very similar to RIV in many ways, but it has a massive advantage, location and walking to MK. That’s why I like it and the room outlook at the back is good onto the lake. The views of the front are a car park but again tempered by you are looking at MK and the fireworks,
The front of Riviera has just a big car park, not even really any landscaping and it is close to that main road. The outlook on the back though is nice with the lake, it just doesn’t work for me with Caribbean Beach in front of you. That to me destroys the theming, maybe I am being too picky.
I too think Reflections could be a real hit, a Grand California vibe in a setting like Wilderness Lodge. That one I will be really interested in. I just hope they don’t point load onto the bungalows.
I’ve said I can’t see myself test driving Riviera. Points too high to risk in my view as I’d have to get preferred, couldn’t risk that low car park view (which is cheap points at BLT). However, never say never, I bought to sleep around in 1 beds and do that constantly so one day may give it a go and change my opinion and wish I’d bought.

Last edited:
We are weird in the fact that the 2 of the 3 DVC we love aren’t crowd favorites. We bought SSR because financially it’s a good choice but we love it. We also plan to buy at AKL next because we love it as well. OKW is our third favorite but we figured a 1bd isn’t too hard to get there so AKL beats it out as our second home resort choice. While VGF, PVB, BLT all have wonderful locations, we just don’t *love* them. They are nice but just not for us. We feel like that about RIV. It’s probably perfect for someone people but not for others

I just had a stay at Caribbean beach, building 55. I was closer to the Skyliner station than most, if not all of Riviera. I rather enjoyed the QS breakfast at Riviera (it seemed the Mickey waffles were made to order vs sitting under a heat lamp, and a big scoop of good butter!)

Honestly, if I could be guaranteed CBR building 54-56, then there’s almost no reason to stay in a Riviera studio. (Yes, I’d be missing the balcony and pool)

I did go to the Riviera bus stop one time and that view was weird. The stop overlooked a pond which should be nice, but beyond that is a Temp construction office..it just felt like any new partially developed suburban area in the USA. It’s unfortunate that they took the SSR method of landscaping. It might be nice 15 years from now when it fills in, but right now is rather rough around front.

I just had a stay at Caribbean beach, building 55. I was closer to the Skyliner station than most, if not all of Riviera. I rather enjoyed the QS breakfast at Riviera (it seemed the Mickey waffles were made to order vs sitting under a heat lamp, and a big scoop of good butter!)

Honestly, if I could be guaranteed CBR building 54-56, then there’s almost no reason to stay in a Riviera studio. (Yes, I’d be missing the balcony and pool)

I did go to the Riviera bus stop one time and that view was weird. The stop overlooked a pond which should be nice, but beyond that is a Temp construction office..it just felt like any new partially developed suburban area in the USA. It’s unfortunate that they took the SSR method of landscaping. It might be nice 15 years from now when it fills in, but right now is rather rough around front.

I don’t think they did the SSR method of landscaping. SSR grounds are lovely and it’s the only resort without quick growing tropical plants and palms- to keep the plants correct for the NE, and the trees have to mature. At RIV out front, where is the landscaping. I have photos, I can’t see it?

I don’t think they did the SSR method of landscaping. SSR grounds are lovely and it’s the only resort without quick growing tropical plants and palms- to keep the plants correct for the NE, and the trees have to mature. At RIV out front, where is the landscaping. I have photos, I can’t see it?
There is a lack of plants out front, it’s like they stopped at the walkways. I recall seeing some new plants being delivered on the road between CBR and Riviera last week, hopefully there will be a lot more. (But they might be for the removed temp Aruba bus turnaround).

With the “close to a busy road”, OKW has many buildings closer to (2) even busier roads, but you don’t see it because the landscaping secluded OKW from those roads...and that’s not something they did at Riviera.

There’s one cbr guest who enjoyed RIV facilities. I agree, why pay RIV prices when you can stay at cbr and still use RIV.

There’s one cbr guest who enjoyed RIV facilities. I agree, why pay RIV prices when you can stay at cbr and still use RIV.

Not sure I really get your point. Sure, some CBR guests will resort hop to eat at RIV. Nothing new. People do it all the time. Don’t agree that this is the same as saying they are using RIV facilities.

I am going to venture to guess that RIV guests will also use CBR for meals too.

Last edited:
Not sure I really get your point. Sure, some CBR guests will resort hop to eat at RIV. Nothing new. People do it all the time. Don’t agree that this is the same as saying they are using RIV facilities.

I am going to venture to guess that RIV guests will also use CBR for meals too.
Is there pool hopping at RIV?

There is a lack of plants out front, it’s like they stopped at the walkways. I recall seeing some new plants being delivered on the road between CBR and Riviera last week, hopefully there will be a lot more. (But they might be for the removed temp Aruba bus turnaround).

With the “close to a busy road”, OKW has many buildings closer to (2) even busier roads, but you don’t see it because the landscaping secluded OKW from those roads...and that’s not something they did at Riviera.

This is a very good point. Yes, some perimeter OKW buildings are close to the road, screened by all the trees. I can’t understand why they didn’t have Riviera all screened save there were no trees there already and space. It would have been much better to drive into it via a driveway, the building revealing itself as you drive in, rather than it being stuck on the side of the road, like a Hampton Inn. They could put some big palms in now I think but haven’t considered if there is room.
Riviera is nice around the pool areas, but the backside (actually front) standard view is not nice at all both looking at it and I suspect looking out from lower floors.

One observation I’ve seen is whenever there is a new resort some love it and some hate it. I’m happy for the variety and want to stay at all of the resorts eventually. So far Riviera seems to be a hit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter