Am I the Only One Who Doesn't Tip Housekeeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevenswife2

WDW vs DLR...impossible to choose a favorite!
I keep reading about making tip envelopes for mousekeeping. Am I the only one who doesn't feel the need to tip housekeeping at any hotel? Maybe it's my frugal ways, but I've only felt the need to tip one time, and that was when a housekeeper saw I had four chilren with me and left extra everything...without being asked. I'm still not sure she was the one who received the tip though.

I do tip at restaurants (usually well over 20%) and at the beauty salon because I'm sure the person providing the service is the one who receives the tip.

Is mousekeeping's salery based on tips like a waiter's/waitress' is?

Will I be booted out of Disney for not tipping every day?

I really don't want to seem cheap.

I never tip mouse keeping either. Unless we leave a huge mess like a bunch of smashed crackers that my 1 year old made all over the carpet.

I typically don't but I will if they do something extra, like if we have an extra person on the daybed and we ask for extra pillows, blanket, towels and then we make a super mess out of the room.

I can't afford to tip!! If I tipped every person from home to back to home they would get my vacation because I couldn't even leave home.

I didnt tip them but that is because i cleaned up the room before i left. Now when i have stayed at other hotels and they leave extra towels and things of that sort without even having to be asked thats why i tip.:Pinkbounc

Originally posted by turtle51
I didnt tip them but that is because i cleaned up the room before i left.

I always clean the room every morning. Strip beds and put sheets in a pile, put all towels in a pile in the bathroom, and sometimes take trashbags out of can and set in a pile.

Also, if I had to tip everyone, I couldn't afford a vacation either. Seems everyone wants a tip for just doing their job. My biggie is bus drivers setting their 'gratuity' can on the front dash.

I guess I should add I was talking about all the shuttle busses (gratuity cans on the dash) not Disney transportation...they have a little more class than that.

Disney does not consider housekeeping CM's as tipped positions--and Disney does not include them in their list of positions for which tipping is suggested as being appropriate. So, we don't normally tip them :smooth:

I have never tipped the maid, at Disney or elsewhere. The maid is doing what they were hired and being paid to do. Now if I was to call them up to bring something then I might but other then that I don't/won't.

I never tip housekeeping at any hotel. Disney Mousekeepers get paid a normal hourly wage and it is considered a non-tipped position. However, I am a very clean person and always pick up all my trash and dirty towels - they really don't have a lot of work to do in the room after I've stayed there.

However, if you're messy and leave trash everywhere, or perhaps your child wets the bed... then a few bucks here and there would be a *nice* thing.

Wow, I feel like I'm in Reservoir Dogs :) I think tipping is out of control now-a-days. You tip a waitress, but not the people who take your order at McDonald's... you tip your housekeeper, but not the person who checks you in... you tip your taxi driver, but not your Disney Transportation bus driver...

At DL housekeeping is considered a tipped position. In the book by the bed in the room it tells you what positions should be tipped. Housekeeping was one of them.

Originally posted by safetymom
At DL housekeeping is considered a tipped position. In the book by the bed in the room it tells you what positions should be tipped. Housekeeping was one of them.
And at WDW is it NOT considered to be a tipped position. Just like many other differences at the various Disney Resorts.

I think that tipping of any kind waitress/taxi driver/hairdresser/housekeeping is optional and I think that tips should not be expected. (That's why they are called "tips".) That being said, I tip well usually when I tip. 20% for a waitress, etc. I don't, however, feel that anyone should feel they have to leave tips for anyone. I certainly don't tip housekeeping but that's my choice.

Ali

I always tip housekeeping because the only reason I get to visit Disney is because I survive on my tips. I drive DH crazy because if I believe for a moment that someone should be tipped I'm handing it out. I work as a waitress and I'm paid approx $3 per hour and have to rely on the gratuities left for me. I know the thrill of finding a generous tip and I like the feeling it gives me to think of someone else getting that same thrill. People seem to have very definate thoughts on tipping but for the most part it always seem to work out in the end.

$3 an hour? That's illegal in Canada. The lowest minimum wage in any provine is $6.10. I completely understand what you are saying and I keep that in mind and that's why I tip the people I do and fairly decently. However, at the end of the day, I think we need to remember that tipping is, in fact, optional.

Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter