Am I the Only One Who Doesn't Tip Housekeeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digger In FLA said:
servers in restaurants are paid below below minimum wage to account for tips and are taxed on a percentage of their sales. that's why I tip 20 % in restaurants. they're paying the price if someone else 'stiffs' them at another table. tourists coming to this area are horrible at taking care the service end in restaurants.

I was wondering about this. Twelve years ago I was waiting tables in Vermont. We usually got a negative paycheck...it was the government's way to collect taxes on tips.

Do the mousekeepers pay taxes on tips?

Just for the record: I only tip if I actually get a clean room. :earboy2:

Digger In FLA said:
servers in restaurants are paid below below minimum wage to account for tips and are taxed on a percentage of their sales. that's why I tip 20 % in restaurants. they're paying the price if someone else 'stiffs' them at another table. tourists coming to this area are horrible at taking care the service end in restaurants.

We were talking about housekeeping so I was addressing that.

I live in Canada. Here, they are not paid that way. The lowest wage that I have ever heard of for a waitress here is $6 an hour. Though that's not high, its also not minimum wage in my province. In other provinces, its higher than that.

And yet, I have worked my share of time with waitresses and listened to them complain when, even though they get a fair wage, someone didn't give them a dollar tip. I'm so tired of hearing it. Wah, you didn't get a tip. I don't get tips either and didn't when I worked in a restaurant even though I was told consistantly how wonderful I am and my service was.

As it is, the girls in the lounge with tips added to their wage make nearly $10 an hour. And yet, they have a big screen tv to watch and other benefits that I don't. But I have to deal with all the slimeballs and I don't have security hanging around like they do.

The hotel down the street was recently robbed and it could have been me. But the waitresses make more money plus tips so I shouldn't say anything right?

I realize in the states it's different. But the behavior of tipping someone "just because" is disgusting. Tips are for extroidinary service not just doing your job.

Recently (before my accident), we had a wedding in the hotel. I went out of my way for these people and they knew it. Later they sent a letter thanking me for all I did. I didn't expect a tip from them, nor should I. I did my job even if it was going a bit beyond the call of duty to do it. The letter was definately enough thanks and it made me feel far better than a tip would have.

It's selfish to think you deserve a tip for doing the job you were hired to do and rediculous to pay someone for more than they were hired to do when they didn't do anything to do it. So what? they had to clean your room. That's their job. It's not special. It's just their job and they know it.

Digger In FLA said:
servers in restaurants are paid below below minimum wage to account for tips and are taxed on a percentage of their sales. that's why I tip 20 % in restaurants. they're paying the price if someone else 'stiffs' them at another table.
This is not true. Yes they are assumed to have recieved 8% of their sales in tips. They are NOT responsible to pay tax on that 8% if they can prove, through their tip records that they did not recieve at least 8%. It is up to the servers to keep records of their tips, including tips out and shared tips for tax purposes. As a accountant for a restaurant/tavern I can tell you that I have yet to see a server who has not made at least this 8%. In fact most if not all make between 15% - 20% more then double what most are going to end up paying tax on. And this is in a state where servers get paid full minimum wage (at least $6.75/hr).

HOWEVER, housekeepers are NOT assumed to have recieved tips. They are not considered a tiped position. Therefore, unless you come accross a really honest server then they are not paying tax on ANY of this "tip income."

I really wish I had never started this thread! :( It HAS become the debate board...which I hated!

It's obvious that the OP's question has been answered. This thread is quickly turning in to a debate; for this reason, I am closing this thread. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me, any Tips Board moderator, or Webmaster.

Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter