An ex-Disney worker writes

manning

Just for that I have requested it
From the Yohoo Disney message site

That DIS stock is falling? Look at what they have done to their portfolio!

I used to work for Walt Disney World when they were just three hotels, the Magic Kingdom, and Epcot. Then they released "The Little Mermaid," "Beauty and The Beast," "Aladdin," and things were going great. But it wasn't good enough. Instead of focusing on their reputation and what they do best--and keeping the quality high--Disney management decides to go hog wild and buy into anything and everything that is media related. And in the process they drove their debt sky high and now own a bunch of businesses they have no knowledge of how to operate and are making movies they have no business making.

Unfortunately, some managers think that the way to increase the value of a company is to make it bigger. But it's all relative folks. Stockholders do not mind small if the product sells and the balance sheet is cash rich. The only thing Disney management team was most successful at making bigger was their egos.

If Walt were alive he would kick Eisner square in the **** for how he has managed the company. And you know what? Walt not only knew how to make money, he knew Disney's strengths and talents and how to use those to make more money. All current Disney management knows is how to make an offer.

The ONLY way Disney will succeed long term is to sell off their assets ASAP that really do not fit their image or market (ABC, etc.) and concentrate on FAMILY theme parks, FAMILY movies, FAMILY hotels, etc.

I have to agree also. Its a shame to see the stock value. I do remember when it was at $120.00 per share. ( I do know that it has since split). One can argue that Disney is being run into the ground. Just check out the constant increase in part time help and the degrading of service. Disney service is no where close to where it was just 10 years ago. Oh well, I am sure that things will get better.:cool:

The author of this letter was asked:

There is a serious debate as to whether Eisner should be replaced. One thought is that he should not because there isn't anyone qualified to replace him. Do you agree? What are your thoughts?

The answer:

I don’t know. You have a point, however.

Eisner IS the one who was at the helm in the mid 1980s when Disney virtually turned around as a company and became extremely successful again. Maybe Disney has just gotten too big for Eisner to manage—and I don’t think he gets much useful advice from his board of directors. So far Eisner has not found anyone else who can manage the company any better. Perhaps if they put Ron Howard, Steven Spielberg, and Tom Hanks on the board of directors things would shape up a bit (ha!).

Seriously, I still think that Disney needs to pare down and get rid of their bloated portfolio. Dump ABC and some other big ticket items and pay off some debt. Don’t open new parks, but update or expand the existing ones. Focus on QUALITY not QUANTITY.

That’s my opinion.

You just can't go back nearly 20 years and give Michael Eisner the benefit of the doubt because he did good some time ago. He's the performer who hasn't realized yet that he's past his prime, or maybe he has, but he doesn't want to accpet it.

The board he installed was done so to pay lip-service to him. It's sort of like President Bush's economic forum, he's gathered people who agree with his viewpoint to bolster his decisions, not to have any descent. Mr. Eisner's time to was long ago and P O W E R is why he is so difficult to rid the company of. Quite simply, from his our biography, this is a guy who grew up with a Picasso on his bedroom wall. More power to those with success, but I can use with some bit of reason that we are not dealing with the average Joe.

In a bit of irony, I hope to see Roy Disney in a coup of the guy he installed. That's irony. :)

There is a serious debate as to whether Eisner should be replaced. One thought is that he should not because there isn't anyone qualified to replace him.

Hogwash.

NOBODY is qualified? Eisner is the only person in the country capable? Great googli moogli....

A chimpanzee flipping a coin is statistically likely to make 50% of the decisions correctly.

That seems to be a much higher average than Michael’s been getting lately. On that basis alone it shouldn’t be hard to find someone better as a replacement.

Who would you pick to take the job? What qualifications do you think that person should have?

Originally posted by thedscoop
somewhere hidden deep within the catacombs of Team Disney Burbank is some guy let's call him Bo. Bo can bascially do whatever he darn well pleases to whomever pleases because he is the only guy who understands, or for that matter can even name, how all of Disney's subsidiaries, division, and like-minded cousins fit together.

Bo=Another Voice...hmmmmmmm

I don't usually come over her, but I have to say this........
who would want the job? I sure wouldn't. I like to be able to sleep at night, thanks!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter