And yet another, seems there is always another......

It's been said the gun used was not legal to own in the state.

Sadly, that may not matter. If a would-be killer wants an efficient way to kill another human being, and they have access to a killing machine or one description (eg. a gun) they will gain access to said weapon and put it to good use. The ONLY was out is to remove said means. Roofs don't stand up if you remove the supporting walls.

Sadly, that may not matter. If a would-be killer wants an efficient way to kill another human being, and they have access to a killing machine or one description (eg. a gun) they will gain access to said weapon and put it to good use. The ONLY was out is to remove said means. Roofs don't stand up if you remove the supporting walls.
I hear ya and don't disagree, was just pointing that part out.

Dare I say it, it's not just guns... there are a few other things that I WISH would just disappear (but never will)... Zombie knives (stupidly big blades with serrated edges designed to kill and pretty much nothing else aside from hunting bears) and barbed crossbows come to mind (high tensile crossbows with barbed tips, cause huge damage when removed). Sadly human beings will ALWAYS want to have one over each other, it's a compulsion, and when you find nuts like Putin trundling about, all you can do is shake your head and sigh...

NBC has shown video footage of the man wrestling the gun away from the Monterey Bay shooter at the 2nd place he went. Remarkable.

You mean Monterey Park? And I believe that incident happened in Alhambra. I'm familiar with the area since I've visited friends who lived there and attended Alhambra High School.

I've only see stills from that security video. Of course there was the one of the perp, but later of the guy wrestling the gun away.

It's been said the gun used was not legal to own in the state.

And that's why gun laws will continue to be meaningless - because anyone can drive to the next state/city with more permissive laws and get anything they want. Crossing from CA to NV in some places reminds me of my dad's annual run to Ohio, where there were any number of big fireworks warehouses set up to cater to Michiganders' desire for things that were illegal here at the time. Until we have coherent national policies, we may as well have nothing (which is, ironically, exactly the argument that got our fireworks ban lifted).

And this one...breaking just now. Half Moon Bay California. 3

These two are really weird, as far as the usual pattern of these things goes. Both shooters being elderly Asian men is kind of mind-boggling, if only because we're so very conditioned to expecting the shooter to be a young-to-middle-aged white guy. A Cali friend was saying that some of the local coverage of the first shooting included comments from a local official in/around Monterey Park expressing some concern about copycats, given the apparently domestic motive and the significance of this time of year in the Asian community, and I wonder if the Half Moon Bay shooting wasn't exactly that.

And that's why gun laws will continue to be meaningless - because anyone can drive to the next state/city with more permissive laws and get anything they want. Crossing from CA to NV in some places reminds me of my dad's annual run to Ohio, where there were any number of big fireworks warehouses set up to cater to Michiganders' desire for things that were illegal here at the time. Until we have coherent national policies, we may as well have nothing (which is, ironically, exactly the argument that got our fireworks ban lifted).
I agree and don't agree. The person also had a hand gun although that was not used I suspect that was what he used to kill himself. He could have also used that to harm some people. I didn't see any comment in the story I read about the hand gun being illegal but that may have just not been reported yet.

I am not in any way making a case that weed and guns are the same but we do have national laws against weed in which it's all illegal but we have states that have legal medical usage or legal recreational usage or both. I suppose if you go with the meaningless viewpoint that means the Federal government's law is meaningless (and in truth I think a lot of people already think that). Some things will always be in the hands of the state. And national gun laws would require national jurisdiction which also requires national enforcement. This is part of why I mentioned legality aspect.

My point in pointing out the legality of the gun wasn't to focus on the state level but rather the discussion that ends up following with gun laws (as politicians were brought up as well as several other comments on this thread). When crimes are committed with objects that are already illegal a different discussion is to be had at least IMO. When crimes are committed with legal objects a different discussion occurs as well (usually a strengthening of those existing laws).

Another two today...Des Moines school shooting and Half Moon bay mass shooting of farm workers. My school is 20 minutes from Saturday's Lunar New Year shooting, and we have several school families reeling from this event. Two families left the area one hour before the shooting. Scary.

I don't have a link but the Half Moon Bay shooting is similar
to one a few weeks ago with a hispanic (I think) shooter killing
fellow hispanics in the fields - they were co-workers?
The one today is very much like that one,
but it was an Asian man killing fellow Asians at 2 work places.

I'm hoping (sadly) that it was targeted work violence.
*sigh* I don't know how to say it right.
I hope you all know what I mean.
No matter what it's all horrific, but hopefully not hate oriented or random.

ETA: It was workplace related:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...area-48-hours-LA-Lunar-New-Year-shooting.html

Last edited:
My only comment is that our Kid's school here in Germany use to do an student exchange with a school in the US. they send 15 kids there and vv and that is no longer happening.. Trip is not planned again.. was on hold due to covid and now school and parents are concerned about random gun violence.

My only comment is that our Kid's school here in Germany use to do an student exchange with a school in the US. they send 15 kids there and vv and that is no longer happening.. Trip is not planned again.. was on hold due to covid and now school and parents are concerned about random gun violence.
I don't blame them one bit for that concern.

When my son started kindergarten years back, I imagined a lot of things I would be feeling when he graduated high school - excited, proud...I never imagined relieved he made it through safely would be on that list, but it was.

I don't have a link but the Half Moon Bay shooting is similar
to one a few weeks ago with a hispanic (I think) shooter killing
fellow hispanics in the fields - they were co-workers?
The one today is very much like that one,
but it was an Asian man killing fellow Asians at 2 work places.

I'm hoping (sadly) that it was targeted work violence.
*sigh* I don't know how to say it right.
I hope you all know what I mean.
No matter what it's all horrific, but hopefully not hate oriented or random.

ETA: It was workplace related:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...area-48-hours-LA-Lunar-New-Year-shooting.html

Sadly, I do this too...."oh, well....at least it was a racist white person "hunting" Asian or Hispanic people"...or a racist Hispanic person hunting whoever else.......just a disgruntled person killing fellow co-workers....or a disgruntled husband killing his wife and ten 'others'. That's considered "good news" when it comes to mass shootings these days in the U.S of A.....try and wrap your head around that.

Or...."well...at least it was eleven people in their 50s-60s-70s" and not twenty first graders huddled together in their classroom bathroom...shredded to pieces by a lunatic with an AR-15 who took up this "hobby" with his mother. And then I remember....oh, *I'm* 55....and hope to have another good 25 years in front of me, and plans with my husband and our families and trips to see other parts of the world...etc.

I'm grateful that I don't have to go to a "workplace"....and that my husband works from home all but two weeks of the year, when he travels to Seattle for work for "face to face" meetings with his team and other teams. And that this is one of those weeks. And I hope because he works for a very liberal company....headquartered in a very liberal city and state, that this won't be an issue for us. But then I remember he's told me that there has been a lot of general complaining/grumbling because the CEO is calling on almost everyone within an hour's drive from headquarters to come back to the office for at least 3 days a week. And then I see there are two mass shootings in California....the most liberal state of them all.

And so the low-lying worry that lives in all of us ticks up a just a bit, and I'll really feel much better when he walks in the door on Friday.

In Britain, there has been one fatal mass shooting in the last 10-years. There were 15 fatal mass shootings in the US *in December*. What accounts for the difference? 🤔

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter