And yet another, seems there is always another......

In Britain, there has been one fatal mass shooting in the last 10-years. There were 15 fatal mass shootings in the US *in December*. What accounts for the difference? 🤔
WOW - I'm at a loss of words about our country. Truly sad. Something has to change.

I don't blame them one bit for that concern.

When my son started kindergarten years back, I imagined a lot of things I would be feeling when he graduated high school - excited, proud...I never imagined relieved he made it through safely would be on that list, but it was.
Crazy... I was was fortunate enough to not have that concern when my kids got through school. Now my daughter teaches there....

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/chicago-weekend-shootings-jan-20-to-23/

Over 30 people shot in Chicago this weekend alone. Like in TWO days, more than 30 shot.

Many of them teenagers.

Nothing on national news with these stats, even though they occur week after week. It's like it is just a normal, every day thing that is not worth reporting. Very sad.

Neither is ok....the state of gun violence in our cities, or the mass shootings in our suburbs. They both have one thing in common...guns. And yet we as a country are *choosing* to do nothing about it because we can't agree that this one thing is the common denominator in each of these tragedies.

In fact, we as a people are *choosing* in general to further "arm up". We continue to have an epidemic of high end car thefts in my area. It started during the pandemic, and has continued. It's been reported time and time again that this is organized crime rings (think low level...this isn't a cartel).....who typically recruit kids under 18, because if in the very rare case they are caught...they are let of of jail almost immediately.

Initially the police in my area and surrounding towns would not even chase them....they'd drive around after dark in high end neighborhoods and look for late model high end cars with the mirrors out (not folded in)....which usually indicates the car is unlocked, and those people sometimes leave the fob right in the car....easy peasy car theft. The cars are then driven up the parkway, to the port of Newark and loaded on ships to take them to foreign destinations. I know several people who have had this happen to them...and most can watch their cars due to tracking devices....head out to sea. It's crazy...but it's happening.

But as word has gotten out, people began locking their cars.....so the thieves became more brazen and will run up to a car when say....the owner has driven the car into he garage (garage door still open)... unloading groceries into the house....and steal the car, etc. Now there have been reports of the thieves breaking into garages....and sometimes going into the house looking for the key fobs. Two times the thieves have been "confronted" by the owner. No mention of a gun yet, in both cases, the thieves fled.

Yes, I won't say it is not unsettling....it is. However, on my Next Door website, you'd think that we are literally under attack....the level of panic and talk of "arming up" is far more unsettling to me. Also, the website has the same rules as this one...about that topic we can't discuss, but I think the moderators over there have given up because it just *goes* there immediately.....so much so that I can barely stand to read because it gets so ugly and dark.

I guess what is most unsettling, and my point of even brining all that up is...."get a gun!!" seems to be the answer, and on that site there are *plenty* who are cheerleading that idea, offering to help people in the process, pointing out where to get training. And it's all just the opposite of the right answer in my opinion.

Neither is ok....the state of gun violence in our cities, or the mass shootings in our suburbs. They both have one thing in common...guns. And yet we as a country are *choosing* to do nothing about it because we can't agree that this one thing is the common denominator in each of these tragedies.

In fact, we as a people are *choosing* in general to further "arm up". We continue to have an epidemic of high end car thefts in my area. It started during the pandemic, and has continued. It's been reported time and time again that this is organized crime rings (think low level...this isn't a cartel).....who typically recruit kids under 18, because if in the very rare case they are caught...they are let of of jail almost immediately.

Initially the police in my area and surrounding towns would not even chase them....they'd drive around after dark in high end neighborhoods and look for late model high end cars with the mirrors out (not folded in)....which usually indicates the car is unlocked, and those people sometimes leave the fob right in the car....easy peasy car theft. The cars are then driven up the parkway, to the port of Newark and loaded on ships to take them to foreign destinations. I know several people who have had this happen to them...and most can watch their cars due to tracking devices....head out to sea. It's crazy...but it's happening.

But as word has gotten out, people began locking their cars.....so the thieves became more brazen and will run up to a car when say....the owner has driven the car into he garage (garage door still open)... unloading groceries into the house....and steal the car, etc. Now there have been reports of the thieves breaking into garages....and sometimes going into the house looking for the key fobs. Two times the thieves have been "confronted" by the owner. No mention of a gun yet, in both cases, the thieves fled.

Yes, I won't say it is not unsettling....it is. However, on my Next Door website, you'd think that we are literally under attack....the level of panic and talk of "arming up" is far more unsettling to me. Also, the website has the same rules as this one...about that topic we can't discuss, but I think the moderators over there have given up because it just *goes* there immediately.....so much so that I can barely stand to read because it gets so ugly and dark.

I guess what is most unsettling, and my point of even brining all that up is...."get a gun!!" seems to be the answer, and on that site there are *plenty* who are cheerleading that idea, offering to help people in the process, pointing out where to get training. And it's all just the opposite of the right answer in my opinion.
To me your focus on your story is on the wrong people. I def. understand where you're coming from with your last paragraph and would agree ultimately not the right answer but the rest of it? The rest is focusing on people stealing cars and getting off lightly because they are minors, breaking into garages and homes but your dialogue is that of the tsking that the victims (or potential victims rather) would look for ways to defend themselves (either by locking their cars which apparently isn't always working or by other means). Would I condone defending by a gun in this case? No but that's because of my personal viewpoint. But I don't think I would tell the story as if the people breaking into cars, stealing them shipping them overseas, breaking into garages or homes are the ones I'm supposed to be sympathetic to and that's how your story reads to me (that is a personal opinion).

Of course ...the NRA supports Gun Manufacturers, taking gun owners money for "dues", is a simple brainwashing ruse !

To me your focus on your story is on the wrong people. I def. understand where you're coming from with your last paragraph and would agree ultimately not the right answer but the rest of it? The rest is focusing on people stealing cars and getting off lightly because they are minors, breaking into garages and homes but your dialogue is that of the tsking that the victims (or potential victims rather) would look for ways to defend themselves (either by locking their cars which apparently isn't always working or by other means). Would I condone defending by a gun in this case? No but that's because of my personal viewpoint. But I don't think I would tell the story as if the people breaking into cars, stealing them shipping them overseas, breaking into garages or homes are the ones I'm supposed to be sympathetic to and that's how your story reads to me (that is a personal opinion).

I mentioned that it is frightening. And I should have added that there is legislation in the works in my state, NJ, for tougher penalties for car thieves. I honestly didn't have much sympathy (and still don't) for the people who leave their car fobs in their unlocked cars. But I do have sympathy for anyone who has someone break into their home...to get a key fob to steal their car. I personally don't believe that guns are the answer.

If a thief breaks into your garage and the car doors are locked....and then venture into your house....you likely have left your inner garage door open and they are looking for that fob....which you likely left somewhere on the counter in your kitchen or in a bowl on a table by the front door

So...be aware of your surroundings, lock your doors, get a deadbolt for your doors...etc. The thieves are looking for "easy" jobs. And I work in people's homes every single day....many are home now since the pandemic, but I still go to walk their dogs...and they leave their key fobs on counters...in the kitchen or in a "key bowl" on a table near the front door....which is almost always near the unlocked inner garage door.

However, from a bigger perspective, these are teenagers who are unarmed as far as I've read/heard in all of these reported crimes....stealing cars for organized crime rings. They are teenagers from poor areas in cities in the northern part of my state who are making terrible decisions in how to "earn" money.....there's no debating that. But they are still almost always teens....kids.

The answer is not for the overwhelming number of racist baby-boomers and Gen-Xers on my next door app .....to "arm up". The "talk" on these boards is overwhelmingly racists....also no debating that for anyone who reads my local site. The answer is for tougher laws to that these kids aren't right back out doing the same thing the next night. I believe in consequences....absolutely.

I personally drive a Tesla, and I don't know why...but they don't seem to be stolen often. Range Rovers seem to the be the "car of choice". Maybe Teslas are tougher to steal because you need a "key card" to open/drive it, or more often... the person's phone....which is usually locked the moment it's not being held/used. However, if someone ran up to me in a threatening manner, or broke into my house (good luck if getting past my dogs...which are the best deterrent you can buy)....I'd unlock my phone for them, tell them the password and toss it to them.

And then I'd call the police (who would likely do nothing....not their fault, but that's how it is), followed by my auto insurance company, my bank, CC companies and Apple to order a new phone. I'd be shaken...absolutely. But I'm not going to shoot a kid in my home for stealing my car.

I mentioned that it is frightening. And I should have added that there is legislation in the works in my state, NJ, for tougher penalties for car thieves. I honestly didn't have much sympathy (and still don't) for the people who leave their car fobs in their unlocked cars. But I do have sympathy for anyone who has someone break into their home...to get a key fob to steal their car. I personally don't believe that guns are the answer.

If a thief breaks into your garage and the car doors are locked....and then venture into your house....you likely have left your inner garage door open and they are looking for that fob....which you likely left somewhere on the counter in your kitchen or in a bowl on a table by the front door

So...be aware of your surroundings, lock your doors, get a deadbolt for your doors...etc. The thieves are looking for "easy" jobs. And I work in people's homes every single day....many are home now since the pandemic, but I still go to walk their dogs...and they leave their key fobs on counters...in the kitchen or in a "key bowl" on a table near the front door....which is almost always near the unlocked inner garage door.

However, from a bigger perspective, these are teenagers who are unarmed as far as I've read/heard in all of these reported crimes....stealing cars for organized crime rings. They are teenagers from poor areas in cities in the northern part of my state who are making terrible decisions in how to "earn" money.....there's no debating that. But they are still almost always teens....kids.

The answer is not for the overwhelming number of racist baby-boomers and Gen-Xers on my next door app .....to "arm up". The "talk" on these boards is overwhelmingly racists....also no debating that for anyone who reads my local site. The answer is for tougher laws to that these kids aren't right back out doing the same thing the next night. I believe in consequences....absolutely.

I personally drive a Tesla, and I don't know why...but they don't seem to be stolen often. Range Rovers seem to the be the "car of choice". Maybe Teslas are tougher to steal because you need a "key card" to open/drive it, or more often... the person's phone....which is usually locked the moment it's not being held/used. However, if someone ran up to me in a threatening manner, or broke into my house (good luck if getting past my dogs...which are the best deterrent you can buy)....I'd unlock my phone for them, tell them the password and toss it to them.

And then I'd call the police (who would likely do nothing....not their fault, but that's how it is), followed by my auto insurance company, my bank, CC companies and Apple to order a new phone. I'd be shaken...absolutely. But I'm not going to shoot a kid in my home for stealing my car.
Again I feel like you're focusing on the wrong thing here. You and I don't disagree that an escalation in crimes and the brazenness of them as well as frequency and severity shouldn't necessarily mean an escalation by the members of the community by which everyone is purchasing guns but I still wouldn't describe it like I'm supposed to be sympathetic towards those committing these crimes.

The people in your community are escalating their methods of protection because they feel the existing ones aren't working. Your issues are tangible not some conspiracy theory thrown out there. And we can talk all day long about ways to decrease your chance of a crime occurring such as not leaving your car fob in your car with the garage door wide open but I'm not going to point fingers at people who do very natural things like put their key fob on the counter in their kitchen because generally we don't expect people to just walk into our homes.

As far as kids I mentioned on another thread (the one about the 6 year old) and here's what I posted
While not as young as 6 I was shocked to learn of an incident that happened in May not too too far from me at a public park. It was a drug deal (specifically weed) gone bad but the shocking part to me was the number of suspects and the ages of them. The incident also occurred just before 4am.

The individual who died by gunshots was 19.
7 suspects total.
FOUR are only 14 years old
TWO are 13 years old
ONE is 17.

One of the 14 year olds plead guilty to second degree murder intentional but was charged as a juvenile. The most recent news a few days ago is the other 14 year old has been charged as an adult (thus his name was released). State law prohibits 13 and under from being charged as adults.

My immediate area is not known for this type of violence in this magnitude nor the age group. I just sat there thinking my goodness 13 and 14 :sad2:

Yeah you're right these are kids committing crimes at times.

As far as what you would do I don't personally have the confidence to know what I would do, would I freeze, would I try and fight, would I even have the awareness to unlock my phone or would I fumble with it not remembering the pin number? IDK.

As far as dogs a lot of people say that but IRL that's not what you want as your main method especially because dogs are living breathing animals capable of being hurt or worse killed themselves. There's a level of feeling for protection absolutely but not something I would glibly say "good luck getting through them". I wouldn't shoot a person either because I don't personally own a gun but I sure don't know that I would be able to methodically do what you're talking about with calling insurance buying a new phone, etc and just be shaken up. I'm glad you have the confidence but I really don't. That said I wouldn't shoot anyone because that's my personal viewpoint. I still wouldn't know what I would feel though or how I would react in the moment or the aftermath, would I look for anything around me to fight back, would I freeze, etc. And I hope I'm never in that position to actually find out all for putting my groceries in my house with my car open and my garage open.

I have seen this too. People go on that app and rattle on, talking a big game about how they would confront the person who "breaks in" to their unlocked car that's parked on the street. It's unnerving. Sure, the people opening car doors to steal what they can is wrong, but pointing a weapon at them is not going to end well.

It's hot heads talking up on an app. But, that talk can embolden somebody, if you know what I mean.

So not the guns that are as easy to buy as candy?
My gun has never even come close to shooting another person. Nor has anyone I know, their guns come even close to shooting another person. I know people who could arm the entire county from their basement, and still, none of those guns have ever come remotely close to shooting another person.

Just the 3 other people currently in the room with me can arm a small town. None of their guns has ever shot another person. If I went to my office, there is the one guy who could arm the entire county from his basement.

As long as we keep focusing on the inanimate object that is completely harmless until someone who isn't harmless picks it up, there can be no solution.

My gun has never even come close to shooting another person. Nor has anyone I know, their guns come even close to shooting another person. I know people who could arm the entire county from their basement, and still, none of those guns have ever come remotely close to shooting another person.

Just the 3 other people currently in the room with me can arm a small town. None of their guns has ever shot another person. If I went to my office, there is the one guy who could arm the entire county from his basement.

As long as we keep focusing on the inanimate object that is completely harmless until someone who isn't harmless picks it up, there can be no solution.
I don't think everyone is objecting to an inanimate object. They're objecting to the unregulated access to the inanimate object. A car is an inanimate object -I can't simply buy it(or build it) and put it on the street ...I have to pass a test to operate it, pay to register it, pay to insure it, etc. The problem is lack of control, and most sane people are in favor of better control of any inanimate object that can be potentially dangerous in the wrong hands. I can name dozens of "toys" forced off the market by the government because of their potential danger to children ...same goes for inanimate objects meant for adults. I'm still getting over the taking away of my RED DYE #2!

And this is the answer to the OP's original question. It will not end precisely due to this attitude that is prevalent in the USA.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/chicago-weekend-shootings-jan-20-to-23/

Over 30 people shot in Chicago this weekend alone. Like in TWO days, more than 30 shot.

Many of them teenagers.

Nothing on national news with these stats, even though they occur week after week. It's like it is just a normal, every day thing that is not worth reporting. Very sad.
Well I’m originally from Chicago and I didn’t live too far away from Garfield Park as mentioned in the article. Garfield Park is an area you just simply avoid. Also Lawndale. I would say most of the shootings are gang related which is not an excuse but at least one has the option to avoid these neighborhoods to stay relatively “safe“ they should nowadays I could go into a Walmart in some small town anywhere in the US and it’s almost become a norm to have someone come in and start shooting at people randomly

I don't think everyone is objecting to an inanimate object. They're objecting to the unregulated access to the inanimate object. A car is an inanimate object -I can't simply buy it(or build it) and put it on the street ...I have to pass a test to operate it, pay to register it, pay to insure it, etc. The problem is lack of control, and most sane people are in favor of better control of any inanimate object that can be potentially dangerous in the wrong hands. I can name dozens of "toys" forced off the market by the government because of their potential danger to children ...same goes for inanimate objects meant for adults. I'm still getting over the taking away of my RED DYE #2!
Actually, wrong. You can go out and purchase any car you want. You can even put it on the street, no test to operate it, no money to register it, no need to insure it. You can put a car on the road and drive it without doing any of those things. You just wouldn't be legal.

I however can not go and purchase a gun without being checked.

Why would you think are more mentally ill people in the US? Our mental health care here is at a crisis.
I don't know where "here" is, nor do I see anywhere that I stated I think anything. Someone asked a question and my response in also in the form of a question as questioning "could this be it?"

And this is the answer to the OP's original question. It will not end precisely due to this attitude that is prevalent in the USA.
Look at the actual problem and solve it there rather than look at the non-problems, the 300million or so firearms that are not shooting other people because the owners of said firearms don't want to go shoot other people.

Perhaps look at it differently. Solve it like other crimes have been solved. Ignore the shootings and announce nothing will happen like with theft. That sure helped with theft, surely it would help with gun crimes.

California has the toughest gun laws in the nation. It's not up for debate and it's not even close. We could make the gun laws in this state even tougher, but that would be akin to washing your hands twice - it's not going to do much good.

Look at the actual problem and solve it there rather than look at the non-problems, the 300million or so firearms that are not shooting other people because the owners of said firearms don't want to go shoot other people.

Perhaps look at it differently. Solve it like other crimes have been solved. Ignore the shootings and announce nothing will happen like with theft. That sure helped with theft, surely it would help with gun crimes.
Or look at other countries without mass shootings and see what is different.

Actually, wrong. You can go out and purchase any car you want. You can even put it on the street, no test to operate it, no money to register it, no need to insure it. You can put a car on the road and drive it without doing any of those things. You just wouldn't be legal.

I however can not go and purchase a gun without being checked.

I don't know where "here" is, nor do I see anywhere that I stated I think anything. Someone asked a question and my response in also in the form of a question as questioning "could this be it?"
Oh please. You know I’m Canadian.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter