Animal Kingdom Refurb

nlenguyen

PharmDis95
After I have seen the refurbishments of Boardwalk and Beach Club, I am very afraid of the upcoming refurb at Animal Kingdom Lodge. The de-theming of resort rooms cannot happen with Animal Kingdom, as in my personal opinion have very themed rooms. DVC should listen to the owners of the resorts because that is a factor in why we buy at a specific resort. I have only stayed in Jambo house but if DVC continues with generic refurbs, Animal Kingdom will loose its essence for me. The themed chairs to the character backsplashes in the kitchen and bathroom make me feel like I am in Animal Kingdom. What could we as owners do to make sure that the de-theming does not take another DVC refurb?

DVC should listen to the owners of the resorts because that is a factor in why we buy at a specific resort.
Model rooms are prepared in advance of any major refurbishment with feedback solicited both internally and externally (members.) Think about the chaos that would ensue if DVC surveyed 25,000 owners on design specifics. There would never be any universal agreement about what is "good" vs "bad." You mention Beach Club and BoardWalk refurbishments, suggesting that they have been poor. Yet many people have been very enthusiastic about what they've seen of those projects.

I think we have to accept the likelihood that what you or I may prefer is different from what thousands of others may prefer. Or what's practical from a budgetary and durability standpoint for a family-friendly hotel room that's in use 24/7/365.

After I have seen the refurbishments of Boardwalk and Beach Club, I am very afraid of the upcoming refurb at Animal Kingdom Lodge. The de-theming of resort rooms cannot happen with Animal Kingdom, as in my personal opinion have very themed rooms. DVC should listen to the owners of the resorts because that is a factor in why we buy at a specific resort. I have only stayed in Jambo house but if DVC continues with generic refurbs, Animal Kingdom will loose its essence for me. The themed chairs to the character backsplashes in the kitchen and bathroom make me feel like I am in Animal Kingdom. What could we as owners do to make sure that the de-theming does not take another DVC refurb?
Good point. The way Disney is doing most all thier rooms now makes me think they want to sell them in the future.

Model rooms are prepared in advance of any major refurbishment with feedback solicited both internally and externally (members.) Think about the chaos that would ensue if DVC surveyed 25,000 owners on design specifics. There would never be any universal agreement about what is "good" vs "bad." You mention Beach Club and BoardWalk refurbishments, suggesting that they have been poor. Yet many people have been very enthusiastic about what they've seen of those projects.

I think we have to accept the likelihood that what you or I may prefer is different from what thousands of others may prefer. Or what's practical from a budgetary and durability standpoint for a family-friendly hotel room that's in use 24/7/365.
Personally, I liked both BC and BW refurbs … so yeah … have to agree with your reasoned view of it.

BW isnt too bad. Have you seen CBR? Good grief. Not DVC I know, but awful.

The recent Boulder Ridge (VWL) refurb kept the theming, so I think the animal kingdom ones will. I think the problem with Beach and Boardwalk is they're just going for a clean, light, beachy vibe vs highly theming them.

I’m really hoping it’s similar to what they did on the hotel side a few years ago. Thoes rooms definitely were not dethemed. I think they actually recycled the headboard and used them in a different way.

The hotel rooms have much nicer bathrooms, and they went with the lvp flooring, which I personally much prefer over the carpet…. But they still have the Animal kingdom feel.

I do think that they will probably have Murphy beds… I just hope they don’t do anything crazy like what they did at the Disneyland Hotel.

VGC (one of AKVs 2 sister resorts) is also due for a referb. They recently installed a couple of Murphy beds in 2 rooms to test…. Thoes Murphy beds were made to have the same aesthetic as VGC… so there is hope.

I’m actually keeping my fingers crossed for the referbs on both of these resorts because they’re my two home resorts.. haha.

I do hope they make an announcement for AKV at the meeting next month.

I honestly expect the referb to look almost identical to the hotel rooms, but with a Murphy bed… and I think the bathrooms will probably be even a little more updated with the rainhead showers and everything.

Bolder Ridge seems like it turned out pretty well. I think it’ll be something more like that for Animal Kingdom Lodge, and grand Californian… I actually think they’ll recycle what they can… what’s in good shape.

On the new DCL ship with Animal Kingdom theming, I really liked what they did! IIRC, the walls were a really rich buttery cream color, and the theming was more savannah lighter tones than the dark mahogany featured currently. I’m going to try to find the pics again, but I think it straddled theming with fresh and brighter. I hope they adopt something similar.

**DCL Treasure Concierge rooms. Creamy beige (warm) grass cloth wallpaper with matching woven curtains, more birch/golden toned wood (not themed enough though,) and pretty sage green bed runner with deeper green and brown wall art. I wish I could see the corresponding dining area — seems to blend mahogany with the birch/lighter tones in a very classy, restful way.

Last edited:
BCV was only softgoods. I’m not sure what was really expected there? BWV, well each to their own, but I like what I have seen much more than the previous iteration.

I think the people who are happy with the Boardwalk refurbed rooms (and even the Boulder Ridge refurb) is because they added that pull down murphy bed/couch , new art, and made it all look new. Of course that will look better than old beat up rooms

BUT the problem here is Disney has moved away from the custom fixtures and theming that made every resort room unique. So I am disappointed in the trend. We should be expecting these updates AND detailed unique theming to the different resorts. If you took covered up the artwork in the stduos at the Grand Floridian, Boulder Ridge, and Boardwalk, could you tell the difference? Is there any theming that differentiates them? Look at the headboards for goodness sakes. All the same. Very dissapointing.

I also will not normalize and accept no themed pillows and comforter/bed runner they always had before covid. Bare beds is a travesty.

Let me remind you what Disney themed rooms with custom headboards and fixtures should be:
33F35907-6301-4225-BBF1-0D4B9649A4D2.jpeg
B7155632-3695-428E-BE5A-960CC79119CE.jpeg8EA33390-0980-4386-A078-4C20C6075899.jpeg

I think the people who are happy with the Boardwalk refurbed rooms (and even the Boulder Ridge refurb) is because they added that pull down murphy bed/couch , new art, and made it all look new. Of course that will look better than old beat up rooms

BUT the problem here is Disney has moved away from the custom fixtures and theming that made every resort room unique. So I am disappointed in the trend. We should be expecting these updates AND detailed unique theming to the different resorts. If you took covered up the artwork in the stduos at the Grand Floridian, Boulder Ridge, and Boardwalk, could you tell the difference? Is there any theming that differentiates them? Look at the headboards for goodness sakes. All the same. Very dissapointing.

I also will not normalize and accept no themed pillows and comforter/bed runner they always had before covid. Bare beds is a travesty.

Let me remind you what Disney themed rooms with custom headboards and fixtures should be:
View attachment 813162
View attachment 813163View attachment 813164
I’m not willing to get super worried about the referb quite yet. It seems like the DVC rooms have always kind of followed the hotel rooms at this resort. The hotel referb a few years ago was actually pretty decent, and most guests seemed pretty happy with it. If they keep it similar to the hotel side it should be good.

Don't own there but totally agree. (But love AKL) Hate what they're doing to the resorts. BWV is now BLAH. At last BCV is quite pretty, but BWV is so beige.
I will continue to miss the bed runners at the resorts. LOVED them and loved the spark it added to the decor. White, White and more White.

If you took covered up the artwork in the stduos at the Grand Floridian, Boulder Ridge, and Boardwalk, could you tell the difference? Is there any theming that differentiates them? Look at the headboards for goodness sakes. All the same. Very dissapointing.
Your opinion is not shared universally. I strongly disagree, for one. I've been impressed with the refurbs balancing theming updates with improvements in fit/finish and overall niceness. Considering the rooms get a hard goods refurb only once every 14 years, they really need to move the fit/finish forward and modernize the styling when they can, to avoid things feeling especially dated at the end of the next 14 years.

And for the record, I absolutely, 100%, could tell the difference based on just the headboards.

Here's screen grabs of just headboards with no artwork from a few YouTube room tours + BWV Studio refurb photos that have been posted online. Not even going to label them, I think they're self-evident.
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 12.04.00 PM.png
(click image to see source YouTube video)

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 12.06.37 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 12.08.15 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 12.11.19 PM.png
From: https://dvcfan.com/2023/11/10/first-look-disneys-boardwalk-villas-refurbishment/

Do they share the fact that they're cushioned/padded? Sure, but that's a win for comfort when sitting up in bed.

The rest of the rooms have plenty of non-artwork differences, too. And I'd assert that artwork is nearly always a positive addition, so having it add to the theming shouldn't be knocked (even if the theming heavy lifting is from artwork).

For reference, the outgoing headboard at BWV:
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 12.15.15 PM.png

If you had asked me where this was from, I would have guessed Beach Club, Hilton Head, or Vero Beach.

I'm not at all concerned about an AKV refurb and actually look forward to it. If they make it similar to the hotel room side, as @ajiuo mentioned, that'd be very nice (the flooring, bathroom, and wardrobe integration improvements especially). If they went in a totally different direction and followed DCL's Treasure Concierge rooms, as @🍀TwinsMom mentioned, I think there'd a LOT of discussion but it would ultimately be well received...but I think it'd be too posh (and probably too much budget for a refurb) for DVC.

Your opinion is not shared universally. I strongly disagree, for one. I've been impressed with the refurbs balancing theming updates with improvements in fit/finish and overall niceness. Considering the rooms get a hard goods refurb only once every 14 years, they really need to move the fit/finish forward and modernize the styling when they can, to avoid things feeling especially dated at the end of the next 14 years.

And for the record, I absolutely, 100%, could tell the difference based on just the headboards.

Here's screen grabs of just headboards with no artwork from a few YouTube room tours + BWV Studio refurb photos that have been posted online. Not even going to label them, I think they're self-evident.
View attachment 813185

View attachment 813186

View attachment 813187

View attachment 813188
From: https://dvcfan.com/2023/11/10/first-look-disneys-boardwalk-villas-refurbishment/

Do they share the fact that they're cushioned/padded? Sure, but that's a win for comfort when sitting up in bed.

The rest of the rooms have plenty of non-artwork differences, too. And I'd assert that artwork is nearly always a positive addition, so having it add to the theming shouldn't be knocked (even if the theming heavy lifting is from artwork).

For reference, the outgoing headboard at BWV:
View attachment 813189

If you had asked me where this was from, I would have guessed Beach Club, Hilton Head, or Vero Beach.

I'm not at all concerned about an AKV refurb and actually look forward to it. If they make it similar to the hotel room side, as @ajiuo mentioned, that'd be very nice (the flooring, bathroom, and wardrobe integration improvements especially). If they went in a totally different direction and followed DCL's Treasure Concierge rooms, as @🍀TwinsMom mentioned, I think there'd a LOT of discussion but it would ultimately be well received...but I think it'd be too posh (and probably too much budget for a refurb) for DVC.
Sorry but to me, simple patterns on a cushioned headboard are not the Disney difference. The Disney difference is supposed to be details, not generic patterns.

And yes they dam well better be updating the rooms every few years, thats the MINIMUM expectation ANY expensive hotel/timeshare should abide to.

None of the pictures you shown come close to the level of detail that made Disney what it is today.

I think most people would agree the following can be updated to be comfortable in a much more amazing way than those generic patterned headboards:
2FA51A00-6756-4C09-9701-183737A879B8.jpeg

17AF1EAF-0A31-443A-8E69-CF821A9E9E68.jpeg

They have done some things that I do like that you pointed out (those resort studios at the Grand are pretty nice and have some nice details). So I’m not giving up hope for AKL but there is certainly enough of a pattern and reason to be nervous about the upcoming refurb.

Reactions: ehh
Does anyone have photos of the hotel side refurb for reference?

I don't think you should be too worried about what they'll do with AKV. As has been mentioned, Boulder Ridge and Grand Flo refurbs were incredible and very well themed recently!

Does anyone have photos of the hotel side refurb for reference?

I don't think you should be too worried about what they'll do with AKV. As has been mentioned, Boulder Ridge and Grand Flo refurbs were incredible and very well themed recently!
Here’s a YouTube video of the update hotel rooms.

I was there in late OCT / early NOV for 11 nights. Because of an issue I ended up getting a hotel room instead of a studio… they offered to bring me a microwave, but I didn’t need one. I can say I enjoyed the hotel room much better then the current delux studio… I’m hoping for something very similar stylistically

Last edited:
AKL is heavily themed and I agree that I am concerned because of the trend of bland DVC rooms. I want to hope that the above poster is right, and BCV and BWV are bland because of the airy beach feel (although to me, that's not a good excuse, but I can see the point).

BRV is still charming post refurb, so there's hope for AKL, but I am definitely concerned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter