Announcing: The Midwest Meet in Marceline (MMM)

I can easily carry enough water for a couple days. Heck with all the hoses I have, and you guys. We can probably run it all the way to our sites LOL

Jack, if you pull up to hose bib, is there enough room to back up to your site or will you hafta turn around?

Saturday's weather forecast (the main touring day) looking nice per Accuweather. 94F for a high, 56% humidity, less than 10% chance of showers.

Gonna drive up tomorrow to Festus, MO (a little south of StL on I55) which leaves a little over 2 hrs to Hannibal (Mark Twain stuff) and then an hour to Macon. Guess we'll get to Macon mid-afternoon. Will bring folding chairs and hopefully we can join ya'll in the evenings at the campground for kibitzing.

Ed

Do we know if there is additional parking area in case trailer doesn't fit in site?

Do we know if there is additional parking area in case trailer doesn't fit in site?
It looks like there is just down from our sites. The pic below shows the campground. The blue circles are the sites we are on. I think you are in the top one. There appears to be a large parking area that I highlighted. I planned on dropping my trailer there if my site isn't long enough to back it in.

j

Saturday's weather forecast (the main touring day) looking nice per Accuweather. 94F for a high, 56% humidity, less than 10% chance of showers.

Gonna drive up tomorrow to Festus, MO (a little south of StL on I55) which leaves a little over 2 hrs to Hannibal (Mark Twain stuff) and then an hour to Macon. Guess we'll get to Macon mid-afternoon. Will bring folding chairs and hopefully we can join ya'll in the evenings at the campground for kibitzing.

Ed

Weather looking nice but a little steamy.

Any reason your stopping at Festus? Not exactly a tourist destination.

Not exactly a tourist destination.
I started to post the same thing and make a snide comment Jefferson County and Alabama/Mississippi having a lot on common, but I figured it is bad enough when I keep asking if that big "A" on everything is for Auburn. :duck:

It looks to be the right amount of distance though and Ed isn't up on the fine social dynamics of the StL area.

j

Just passing through, fellas. Just passing through. Hotel has a good rating and that's what matters.

Festus has a Home Depot, a Taco Bell, and a 7-Eleven. What more could anyone want? :confused3

You guys are getting a little soft. 56% humidity and mid 90s is steamy? :rotfl2:

Reminds me of when I was in London a couple years ago and it was June and Wimbledon's early rounds were being played. And the TV broadcasters were CRYING out for a national medical emergency because it was ...... high 80s.

<sigh>

Me

Just passing through, fellas. Just passing through. Hotel has a good rating and that's what matters.

Festus has a Home Depot, a Taco Bell, and a 7-Eleven. What more could anyone want? :confused3

You guys are getting a little soft. 56% humidity and mid 90s is steamy? :rotfl2:

Reminds me of when I was in London a couple years ago and it was June and Wimbledon's early rounds were being played. And the TV broadcasters were CRYING out for a national medical emergency because it was ...... high 80s.

<sigh>

Me

UMMMM, it has a White Castle too! If it was just a stopover, I was going to suggest stopping closer to Ste. Genevieve. The historical downtown there is pretty neat. However, sounds like you're already in JeffCo.

My steamy comment came from me looking at the local weather here in KC area and it's going to be like 96 and 98 for SAT and SUN. That's getting toasty anywhere, but absolutely I'm soft. Spent too much time behind a desk lately.

Okay, we are in the hotel room in Festus, MO after an uneventful, on-schedule 7.5 hour drive (we avoided Memphis which would have been the same amount of time but would have been more frustrating).

After dinner at Cracker Barrel, my traveler's ear has not heard one southern accent in the restaurant, hotel lobby, not one. It's the flat mid-west pattern of speech.

So I stand there and listen to all the conversations ....

Also, does this state have trouble with road naming conventions? Meaning standard rules for naming or numbering roads? This is the only state I've seen that doesn't name or number major roads. An example is our exit where our hotel is. The exit has all kinds of retail, restaurants, gas stations, and more around it. And all it's called is "A"? :confused3

Screenshot 2021-07-22 7.36.06 PM.png

Driving along I55 after crossing the Mississippi, I saw lots of letters (sometimes double letters) like DD, U, P but what the heck is going on?

giphy.gif

Does Missouri have something against calling it "County Road 27" instead of "A"? Or call it "Bucksnort Parkway"? In Google Maps, "A" has a name: "Veterans Boulevard". But it also has "A".

Screenshot 2021-07-22 7.51.45 PM.png

I'm sure hoping one of ya'll can edu-ma-cate me this weekend.

Watching the Cardinals and Cubs game tonight so I can hang with Illinois campers in our group this weekend,. Don't watch many National League games.

Ed

PS - can we come out Friday evening to socialize? Do I have to drop one of ya'lls name at the gate? Or a campsite #? I'll pay for the privilege if I need to ...

Last edited:
We are on 73, 74 and 75. We will all be there late afternoon

Missouri is fond of the letters for roads. Usually county roads in the rural areas. Numbers seem to be for state or federal roads.

Glad you made it to Mo. Festus is rapidly becoming an extension of the metro area. It used to be an hour "outside of town". The suburbs just keep creeping out.

Not sure how your GPS will route you. Coming through StL and heading out I-70 to the middle of the state (Columbia) and heading north or taking 61 up to Hannibal and then over.

I'm likely going to take 61. I-70 is typically busier. From my house, both are about the same in distance and time.

I'm still hoping to be on the road by 3:30. That would put me in between 6:30-7:00. The bridge across the Mississippi by me is down to 1 lane and I'll be heading West during rush hour, so that will probably add 30 minutes on to the 3:05 it says it will take.

j

I'm going to roll in around 1 or 2.

The South ends at Benton Hill on I-55 just north of Sikeston. That's where the "honeys" and tea means sweet by default starts

The lettered roads are supplemental state highways. Kind of like farm roads in Texas. The letters reset in each county. My parents lived very near Nut junction. Aptly named because it was where N, U, and T highways intersected. My wife, from Kansas, finds the lettered roads insane as well.

Welcome to Missouri.

Last edited:
PS - can we come out Friday evening to socialize? Do I have to drop one of ya'lls name at the gate? Or a campsite #? I'll pay for the privilege if I need to ...

PS to your PS, MO state parks don't have an entrance fee, so during the day no troubles at all.

However, A lot of them have installed gates that close after hours, not sure about Long Branch. Since I should be the first rolling in, I'll drop the gate code in the PMs when I arrive, if there is one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter