Annual Reading Challenge 2019

36/50 - When He Was Wicked - Julia Quinn (The Bridgertons book 6) I'm so excited that me revisiting this series has coincided with them being made into a Netflix series!!!! I absolutely cannot wait to watch it when it's released! I've already added it to my list even though it's not being released for a bit yet.

54/75 Four Funerals and maybe a Wedding by Rhys Bowen

Yes, there was a Wedding!

An American Princess: The Many Lives of Allene Tew by Annejet van der Zijl translated by Michele Hutchison. Biography which seems to have been meticulously researched (the source notes are 20% of the books content). Allene Tew was born poor in upstate New York, grew up beautiful, married well twice, then once for love during the course of which she became wealthy. After her beloved third husband dies, she marries twice more both times to impoverished but titled European royalty. I enjoyed this book but it was a slow read. I would pick it up, read a few chapters then set it aside. But I did keep coming back to it and eventually I finished it.

71 of 104

55/75. Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Good day to read the story of Swamp Girl! I did not enjoy it as much as some here, it was good, not great.

Last edited:
25. Captains and the Kings by Taylor Caldwell. This novel is almost 50 years old but it's underlying theme rings chillingly true. Very good, if a bit depressing.

A Place Called Hope by Philip Gulley. This is the first book in the sequel series to his Harmony Series. It features Sam Gardner, a quaker minister in the small town of Harmony who accepts a new church in another small town, Hope. It has a gentle humor and was a nice light read.

72 of 104

8 of 20: Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

For Ta-Nehisi Coates, history has always been personal. At every stage of his life, he's sought in his explorations of history answers to the mysteries that surrounded him -- most urgently, why he, and other black people he knew, seemed to live in fear. What were they afraid of? Coates takes readers along on his journey through America's history of race and its contemporary resonances through a series of awakenings -- moments when he discovered some new truth about our long, tangled history of race, whether through his myth-busting professors at Howard University, a trip to a Civil War battlefield with a rogue historian, a journey to Chicago's South Side to visit aging survivors of 20th century America's 'long war on black people,' or a visit with the mother of a beloved friend who was shot down by the police. In his trademark style -- a mix of lyrical personal narrative, reimagined history, essayistic argument, and reportage -- Coates provides readers a thrillingly illuminating new framework for understanding race: its history, our contemporary dilemma, and where we go from here.

Yikes. This was emotional. Listened to the audibook as read by Ta-Nehisi Coates. Short read or listen (less than 200 pages). Great look into at least one person's perspective on race in the United States. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

33/50 - Tombstone Courage: A Brady Novel of Suspense by J. A. Jance. Genre - Mystery
When a young widow named Joanna Brady runs for sheriff in Cochise County, Arizona, she earns the enmity of the local police force and gets involved in investigating a strange double homicide.

Book 2 of the Joanna Brady series.

37/50 - Blood Truth - JR Ward (The Black Dagger Legacy Book 4) I really enjoyed Boone and Helania’s love story. They meet through tortured circumstances and learn how to stand together and on their own. I swear each new book is my favorite until I reread the old ones and remember how much I love those too.

11/15
Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
Yay! I finally got another book read! Ok so I have read some others but they really are not worthy of even mentioning. Complete fluff books :)

Miryem is the daughter and granddaughter of moneylenders... but her father isn't a very good one. Free to lend and reluctant to collect, he has loaned out most of his wife's dowry and left the family on the edge of poverty--until Miryem steps in. Hardening her heart against her fellow villagers' pleas, she sets out to collect what is owed--and finds herself more than up to the task. When her grandfather loans her a pouch of silver pennies, she brings it back full of gold.

But having the reputation of being able to change silver to gold can be more trouble than it's worth--especially when her fate becomes tangled with the cold creatures that haunt the wood, and whose king has learned of her reputation and wants to exploit it for reasons Miryem cannot understand. (from Goodreads)

I really enjoyed this book. The author did a very good job of weaving reality/history with folktales. I was surprised that I actually enjoyed all the characters. There is usually one or two that I just can't stand( usually not because they are written that way:))
I will definitely be reading more of her stuff.

Saving Wishes by G.J. Walker-Smith. Romantic fiction. Chari is struggling to finish her final year of high school and then she and her best friend, Nicole, are taking off to travel the world. They both are working hard and saving money to fund their dream. Then a new young man comes to town, the brother of the high school french teacher. He is staying with her until it is time for him to start law school. The two meet and fall madly in love. The young man restores an old boat, sells it for several thousands of dollars and has the buyer pay Charli to fund her dream. But Nicole betrays her by running off with the money and another young man. Charli breaks up with her beloved to ensure he goes off to law school and then starts to travel the world with an ex-boyfriend (as just friends). The book ends with her ending a year of exotic travels by heading to New York to try and reconnect with her true love. There are a whole series of books that follow her adventures. Although it was an okay read, I am not invested enough in the story to continue the series.

73 of 104

56/75 Love and Death Among the Cheetahs by Rhys Bowen

The most recent of the Royal Spyness Mysteries

August:

#54/90: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (3.5/5) (literary fiction)

Theo is in the museum when a bomb goes off, killing his mother. An old man encourages him to take a painting. He keeps it hidden as a way to stay connected to his mother while he is moves through many different living situations.

This book won the Pulitzer Prize in 2014. It is very long and has a lot of drug use and violence.

#55/90: The Huntress by Kate Quinn (4/5) (historical fiction)

Told from the viewpoints of a female Russian pilot, an English writer, and a young Bostonian woman who come together to find a woman who ruthlessly killed during WWII and escaped from Europe.

This is from the same author who wrote The Alice Network.

#56/90: The Life She Was Given by Ellen Marie Wiseman (4/5) (fiction)

Told in alternating voices, it is the story of surviving horrifying secrets of Blackwood Manor. One a girl hidden in the attic and ultimately sold to a circus, and another who returned to discover the secrets.

#57/90: L.A. Woman (Gideon and Sirius # 5) by Alan Russell (4.5/5) (detective)

Gideon must work with the FBI to access information about the All-In Killer while investigating the death of a young woman who was a member of a high profile religious cult. At the same time, his relationship with Lisbet seems to be falling apart.

If you love detective stories and dogs, you will love this series!

#58/90: Home for Erring and Outcast Girls by Julie Kibler (4.5/5) (historical fiction)

Based upon an unusual home for “fallen” women in Texas during the early 20th century, and a woman from modern times who feels a connection to their history.

#59/90: Death in a Budapest Butterfly (Hungarian Tea House Mystery #1) by Julia Buckley (3.5/5) (cozy mystery)

Three generations of women run the teahouse where a murder occurs. Lots of references to Hungarian dishes. A quick and easy read.

I had to read this as my father is 100% Hungarian. Made me want to whip up a batch of walnut kifli!

57/75. No Ordinary Life by Suzanne Redfearn

I tried to find the post here when this book is first mentioned, but I could not find it. I enjoyed the book. It’s about the struggles a mother faces as her four year old child is swept into stardom after an Internet video goes viral.

The Rabbit Girls by Anna Ellory. Historical fiction. The Rabbit Girls are young women subjected to medical experimental in concentration camps in WWII. The story is told in flashback between the present when Miriam is caring for her dying father and the stories of her parents and her father's girlfriend during the war. There are twists with Miriam being on the run from an abusive husband, Miriam suffering from OCD and self cutting and her making a new friend in Eva, who has just come over from the East German side of Berlin after the wall came down. It was a complex read but a satisfying one.

74 of 104

34/50 - Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. Genre - Mystery
For years, rumors of the "Marsh Girl" have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life--until the unthinkable happens.

Perfect for fans of Barbara Kingsolver and Karen Russell, Where the Crawdads Sing is at once an exquisite ode to the natural world, a heartbreaking coming-of-age story, and a surprising tale of possible murder. Owens reminds us that we are forever shaped by the children we once were, and that we are all subject to the beautiful and violent secrets that nature keeps.

This was my book club pick for September. I know a lot of people really liked it and some didn't. I'm on the fence. I would give it 3 out of 4 stars.

57/75. No Ordinary Life by Suzanne Redfearn

I tried to find the post here when this book is first mentioned, but I could not find it. I enjoyed the book. It’s about the struggles a mother faces as her four year old child is swept into stardom after an Internet video goes viral.
I read this earlier this year. Maybe it was me.

The Rabbit Girls by Anna Ellory. Historical fiction. The Rabbit Girls are young women subjected to medical experimental in concentration camps in WWII. The story is told in flashback between the present when Miriam is caring for her dying father and the stories of her parents and her father's girlfriend during the war. There are twists with Miriam being on the run from an abusive husband, Miriam suffering from OCD and self cutting and her making a new friend in Eva, who has just come over from the East German side of Berlin after the wall came down. It was a complex read but a satisfying one.

74 of 104
Was a pick last year for the book club I'm in. I really liked this book and am looking to read more by this author.

26/30 - Blood Work by Michael Lister -
Did Ted Bundy kill Janet Leigh Lester before he was captured?
If so, where did he hide her body? If not, who did and where are her remains?
Was America’s most notorious serial killer, Ted Bundy, responsible for the Broken Heart Murder? If not, who was, and can John Jordan figure it out and redeem his childhood hero?
John’s dad is still haunted by a murder he couldn’t solve four decades ago.

O
n the same weekend Janet Leigh Lester was crowned Miss Valentine at the pageant and Queen at the Sweethearts dance, she disappeared, her car found in an empty field, its interior covered in blood.

The case is decades cold now, but a new clock is ticking and John Jordan has one last chance to get it right. With no jurisdiction, no support, and no real hope of solving such an old, cold case, John isn’t taking no for an answer. Can John do what his father was unable to?

27/30 - The Mouse and the Candle by Matthew S. Cox -
After eleven years as a priest living by these words, Father Antonio Molinari never imagined who would teach his strongest lesson of faith--a vampire.
As a member of a secret order within the Vatican, he investigates and debunks supernatural events. A case of possession brings him to the French countryside, where two local clergy offer him the chance of a lifetime. They claim to have captured a vampire, and beg his expertise in helping them study the fiend.
When their monster turns out to be a little girl, cursed to spend eternity hiding from the sun, he cannot bring himself to destroy her. The priests, mistaking his compassion for diabolism, panic, and his efforts to protect an innocent child prove fatal.
He awakes caught between light and darkness.
Hunted by the Church he once served as well as the fiends he once destroyed, Father Molinari clings to his faith there is still room for him in God's plan.

28/30 - The Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier -
Tracy Chevalier transports readers to a bygone time and place in this richly-imagined portrait of the young woman who inspired one of Vermeer's most celebrated paintings.
History and fiction merge seamlessly in this luminous novel about artistic vision and sensual awakening. Girl with a Girl Earring tells the story of sixteen-year-old Griet, whose life is transformed by her brief encounter with genius . . . even as she herself is immortalized in canvas and oil.

29/30 - The Roses of May by Dot Hutchinson - A sequel to The Butterfly Collector. Four months after the explosion at the Garden, a place where young women known as the Butterflies were kept captive, FBI agents Brandon Eddison, Victor Hanoverian, and Mercedes Ramirez are still entrenched in the aftermath, helping survivors in the process of adjusting to life on the outside. With winter coming to an end, the Butterflies have longer, warmer days of healing ahead. But for the agents, the impending thaw means one gruesome thing: a chilling guarantee that somewhere in the country, another young woman will turn up
dead in a church with her throat slit and her body surrounded by flowers.
Priya Sravasti’s sister fell victim to the killer years ago. Now she and her mother move every few months, hoping for a new beginning. But when she ends up in the madman’s crosshairs, the hunt takes on new urgency. Only with Priya’s help can the killer be found—but will her desperate hope for closure compel her to put her very life on the line?

I enjoyed all these books. The Roses of May was not as interesting as the Butterfly Collector but I still enjoyed it

Last edited:
Update time!

#34-"Lost Roses, Martha Hall Kelly, historical fiction-2 stars, just not for me
#35-"Summer Tides", Denise Hunter, romance and fiction "beach read"-4 stars
#36-"The Light Over London", historical fiction-4 stars
#37-"Murder on Wheels", Lynn Calhoon, typical cozy mystery-4 stars
#38-"The Lost Girls of Paris", Pam Jenoff, historical fiction-5 stars, one of my favorites ever
#39-The Honey Bus, Meredith May-well researched, but just OK-3 stars

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter