Annual Reading Challenge 2019

27. “The Beantown Girls” by Jane Healey. Set in WW II, it is about Red Cross Clubmobile girls who boosted the morale of the troops. I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It’s a time period I’m drawn to, and the characters were very likeable.

I read this earlier this year - such a good story and great characters. :)

Every Thing You Are by Kerry Anne King. Fiction. Brandon is a world class celleist that has lost the ability to play after suffering frostbite to his hands. After losing his ability to play, he drinks and ends up divorced and alienated from his family. Allie is his 17 year old daughter who is thrust into his care when her mother and brother are killed in a car accident. Phee is the luthier (maker/repairer of stringed instruments) that is connected to the cello that Brandon used to play and that Allie now plays. The story is a blend of love, sorrow, regret, hope and music. How it all comes together kept me intrigued to the end.

79 of 104

The Rabbit Girls by Anna Ellory. Historical fiction. The Rabbit Girls are young women subjected to medical experimental in concentration camps in WWII. The story is told in flashback between the present when Miriam is caring for her dying father and the stories of her parents and her father's girlfriend during the war. There are twists with Miriam being on the run from an abusive husband, Miriam suffering from OCD and self cutting and her making a new friend in Eva, who has just come over from the East German side of Berlin after the wall came down. It was a complex read but a satisfying one.

74 of 104
You should check out The Lilac Girls. It's also about the Ravensbrook "rabbits".

#46/50 News of the World by Paulette Jiles

In the aftermath of the Civil War, an aging itinerant news reader agrees to transport a young captive of the Kiowa back to her people.
In the wake of the Civil War, Captain Jefferson Kyle Kidd travels through northern Texas, giving live readings from newspapers to paying audiences hungry for news of the world. An elderly widower who has lived through three wars and fought in two of them, the captain enjoys his rootless, solitary existence.
In Wichita Falls, he is offered a $50 gold piece to deliver a young orphan to her relatives in San Antonio. Four years earlier, a band of Kiowa raiders killed Johanna’s parents and sister; sparing the little girl, they raised her as one of their own. Recently rescued by the U.S. army, the ten-year-old has once again been torn away from the only home she knows.
Their 400-mile journey south through unsettled territory and unforgiving terrain proves difficult and at times dangerous. Johanna has forgotten the English language, tries to escape at every opportunity, throws away her shoes, and refuses to act “civilized.” Yet as the miles pass, the two lonely survivors tentatively begin to trust each other, forming a bond that marks the difference between life and death in this treacherous land.
Arriving in San Antonio, the reunion is neither happy nor welcome. The captain must hand Johanna over to an aunt and uncle she does not remember—strangers who regard her as an unwanted burden.

Another good one!

40/50 - Retreat, Hell! - Book X The Corps Series W.E.B. Griffin

The final book in this series it concludes during Korea but includes an afterword summing up the end of the conflict. The end of this book feels really rushed (kinda like the end of book VIII actually) it's like when he gets near the end of a series he just wants it to be over and doesn't care if he rushes through it. Oh well the series is still fantastic overall and I reread it at least once every 2 years (though usually every year)

The Dressmaker's Gift by by Fiona Valpy. Historical fiction. Set in the present and in WWII. Harriet has completed university and persisted in getting an internship at a public relations firm in Paris that handles boutique clients related to the fashion industry. Harriet has a special connection to the firm through the address of the building the firm is housed in. After her mother's suicide she found a picture of her grandmother Claire and two other girls, Vivienne and Mireille standing in front of that building in 1941. The first thing she learns is the girls were dressmakers (seamstresses) and during WWII the building was a high end fashion house. THe story then jumps back and forth between the present as Harriet tries to make sense of her life and the stories of three girls and what they did during the war. I seem to have an affinity for WWI historical fiction and this was another good one.

80 of 104

60/75 Better off Thread by Amanda Lee
I’m traveling, so wanted paper back light mystery, and I enjoyed it.

36/50 - The Atomic Weight of Love by Elizabeth J. Church. Genre - General Fiction
For Meridian Wallace - and many other smart, driven women of the 1940s - being ambitious meant being an outlier. Ever since she was a young girl, Meridian had been obsessed with birds, and she was determined to get her PhD, become an ornithologist, and make her mother's sacrifices to send her to college pay off. But she didn't expect to fall in love with her brilliant physics professor, Alden Whetstone. When he's recruited to Los Alamos, New Mexico, to take part in a mysterious wartime project, she reluctantly defers her own plans and joins him.

What began as an exciting intellectual partnership devolves into a "traditional" marriage. And while the life of a housewife quickly proves stifling, it's not until years later, when Meridian meets a Vietnam veteran who opens her eyes to how the world is changing, that she realizes just how much she has given up. The repercussions of choosing a different path, though, may be too heavy a burden to bear.

Elizabeth Church's stirring debut novel about ambition, identity, and sacrifice will ring true to every woman who has had to make the impossible choice between who she is and who circumstances demand her to be.

This book was based on the author's parents. I found it to be a sad, depressing book to read.

28. Ragtime by E.L Doctorow. Set at the beginning of the 20th century, it’s a very good historical fiction. It was great to read about a period when my grandparents were young.

#47/50 P is for Peril by Sue Grafton
It is now nine weeks since Dr Dowan Purcell vanished without trace. The sixty-nine-year-old doctor had said goodnight to his colleagues at the Pacific Meadows nursing home, had climbed into his car and driven away never to be seen again. His embittered first wife Fiona is convinced he is still alive. His second wife, Crystal a former stripper forty years his junior is just as sure he is dead. Enter private investigator Kinsey Malone, hired by Fiona to find out just what has happened to the man they loved. Enter also Tommy Hevener, an attractive flame-haired twenty-something who has set his romantic sights on Kinsey. And Tommy is a man with a very interesting past

Another in the Kinsey Millhone alphabet series

Home Is Where The Heart Is by Kimberly Rae Jordan. Volume 1 of the Home to Collingsworth series. Christian romantic fiction with the usual happy ending and many, many loose ends for the rest of the books in the series to follow up on.

81 of 104

42/50 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling

Just making my way through the series at this point, man I loved these books!

ETA Meant LOVE; definitely LOVE these books present tense

Last edited:
51/50 The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
Winner of the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award, the #1 New York Times bestseller from Colson Whitehead, a magnificent tour de force chronicling a young slave's adventures as she makes a desperate bid for freedom in the antebellum South.
This was a tough read. I generally read to “escape” and this made me think about terrible things. It was worth it. One day, I will read his latest book, The Nickel Boys, but I think it will be awhile before I can handle the emotional weight of it.

52/50 My Best Friend’s Exorcism by Grady Hendrix
An unholy hybrid of Beaches and The Exorcist that blends teen angst, adolescent drama, unspeakable horrors, and a mix of ’80s pop songs into a pulse-pounding supernatural thriller.
This has been on my “to read” list for a few months and I needed something light after The Underground Railroad. I enjoyed the 80’s references but was expecting more of a horror story than it ended up being. I felt the angst of being a teenage girl much stronger than I felt the thrills of a horror story. While reading it, I would have told you it was only a mediocre book, but the ending redeemed it for me. The title makes it seem like it’s for horror fans, but it was so much more.

53/50 Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
An ode to Put the Damn Guns Down, this is New York Times bestselling author Jason Reynolds’s electrifying novel that takes place in sixty potent seconds—the time it takes a kid to decide whether or not he’s going to murder the guy who killed his brother.
A short, but powerful, read. It makes me wish I taught middle or high school English, so I could see how young adults react to and interpret it.

37/50 - Gift of Magic by Lynn Kurland. Genre - Paranormal Romance
Gift of Magic is the latest installment in New York Times bestselling author Lynn Kurland's breathtaking Nine Kingdoms saga, which follows the daughter of a dreamweaver and the son of a mage as they struggle to save the realm from a magic as dark as it is powerful. Sarah of Doire knows the pattern of spells is no accident. With each page, each powerful rune, she and Ruith are being led somewhere, to someone-but by whom, she cannot tell. Sarah's gift of sight only allows her to see the spells themselves, not the person behind them.

A reluctant sorcerer still learning to trust his own magic, Ruithneadh of Ceangail knows he's woefully unprepared for the adversaries they'll face. But he and Sarah must collect and destroy his father Gair's spells soon. Many mages seek their power, and in the wrong hands, Gair's magic would plunge the Nine Kingdoms into an eternity of darkness.

But as they pursue the final spells-acquiring strange companions, welcome allies, and unexpected foes along the way-Sarah and Ruith realize that their true quest has only just begun. The real enemy is closer, darker, and more power hungry than they ever imagined; and until he is defeated, the fate of the Nine Kingdoms hangs in dire peril.

I am working my way through the Nine Kingdom series. This is not a stand alone book, you would need to read the two books before it to get the background for this book. So far the series has been written more like two trilogies with characters from the first set of three books interwoven into the next set which I just finished. There are four more books in this series so I'm hoping that the last book ties everything up. I have enjoyed reading them thus far.

Long Way Home by Charles Martin. A re-telling of the story of the prodigal son with interesting details about revival meetings, writing music and guitars. Like his book, When Crickets Cry, the subject matter is challenging and i got emotionally invested in the characters.

82 of 104

Last edited:
Time to catch up a little while I wait for the potatoes to finish baking..

55. A Dog's Journey by W Bruce Cameron
A sequel to A Dog's Purpose, this book continues the story of Buddy who learns what his purpose is. As good as the first book and a must read for dog lovers.

56. Simon vs the Homosapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
Young adult coming of age story of a young man dealing with high school, drama and his burgeoning homosexuality. Poignant and funny

57. The Night Window by Dean Koontz
The final installment of the Jane Hawk series. I inhaled most of this series but this took a lot longer to get through. It did tie up the story line well though.

58. A Lowcountry Wedding by Mary Alice Monroe
#4 in the Lowcountry Summer series. This continues the story of the 3 sisters and their grandmother and adds a shocking surprise. A good beach read.

59. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
I thoroughly enjoyed this book which is currently popular.

60. Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk
Set in WWII era Annabelle lives in a small rural Pennsylvania town. A new girl moves to town who is a cruel bully. As incidents escalate there are accusations that land on a loner. Very interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter