Annual Reading Challenge--2020

Continuing the King re-read with one scary book, one high fantasy book, and one somewhere in between:

29. Pet Semetary by Stephen King

This is the most "Stephen King" book I have read so far on this re-read. For those who don't know, this is a story of a young family who moves next to a pet cemetery which has been meticulously maintained by the area's children. But it is what lies beyond the cemetery (in the "real" pet graveyard) that provides the horror. I remember when I first read this book, I felt myself descending into the spiral of the story and really disliked the ending. While the ending is still troubling to me, since I knew the outcome I could enjoy the journey more in this re-read. It is a scary story, so if you don't want horror, stay away. If, on the other hand, this kind of story appeals to you, no one does this better than Stephen King.

30. The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

So now for something COMPLETELY different. This is a beautiful high fantasy story about a young prince wrongfully accused of his father (the king's) murder by an evil magician, and the journey he undertakes to right this wrong, along with a group of friends and companions. King wrote the book for his daughter, Naomi, who refused to read any "Stephen King" books because she wasn't into that "vampire stuff"; she then read this book in one setting. What a beautiful example of a moving and well written short novel. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to sample King's writing but doesn't want the horror side of the equation. I really enjoyed this re-read and had forgotten how well done this story was!

31. The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub

And now for a blend of both horror and fantasy, and a blend of two authors. The Talisman is the story of one 12 year old boy's journey through our world, and the world of the Territories (a fantasy version of our world), to save the life of his mother. Jack Sawyer travels from coast to coast meeting trouble along the way and finding friends who stay with him to the end. This is a long book (over 600 pages in hardcover) but it has a lot of story to tell. There were times on this re-read where I found myself guessing whether Straub or King wrote a particular passage, and there are some uneven parts where the book moved slowly for me, but I did enjoy the journey. The last 200 pages were a whirlwind; I couldn't put the book down even though I remembered how it all ended. A fun tribute to the kinds of stories that Mark Twain used to write where a boy (think Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn) "lights out" to the Territories.

And now, since I have gained the quarantine 15 (from all of the extra eating I have been doing, and the lack of exercise), it's time to get Thinner.

It's been a minute since my last post, but I have a reason... Read on.

32. Thinner by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman)

This was the book that led to the demise of Richard Bachman (although King did use this name when publishing a few more books). With the publication of Thinner, a smart librarian figured out that Bachman and King were one and the same, and Bachman succumbed to cancer of the pseudonym. That said, of all of the Bachman books on the re-read, this one is the most recognizable as a King book. A short one, and a tale of revenge (and then revenge for revenge), it is a very quick read and a thrilling story.

33. Skeleton Crew by Stephen King

His third collection of short stories (after Graveyard Shift and Different Seasons), this one has some wonderful tales including the novella "The Mist" and "The Raft". This collection shows off King's expansive work across genre; "Beachworld" is pure science fiction, and "Word Processor of the Gods" is light fantasy. One story that stood out to me this time was "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut"; I had forgotten how great this story was.

34. It by Stephen King

And now we come to the reason why is has been almost a month since my last update. This is a monster (and I don't just mean Pennywise the clown). It as a novel is more than 1100 pages long; do I get credit for reading the equivalent of 4 normal size books here? If you have seen the recent movies, do yourself a favor and read the novel; It alternates between 1956 and 1983, telling both stories simultaneously, so that they unroll with beautiful symmetry and some striking parallels. I loved this book as I did the first time I read it, although there were several items that caused me noticeable discomfort this time - the language of race and racial stereotypes (which I am sure was authentic to the era) and the denouement in the tunnel from 1956. This book does take a long time to read and digest, and I feel like I have been on a journey, but I've returned.

To move on to The Drawing of the next Three Stephen King books.

Last edited:
9/40 Miss Jane - Brad Watson
10/40 Geek Love - Katherine Dunn
11/40 Unspeakable - Things Jess Lourey
12/40 The Enigma Strain - Nick Thacker
13/40 The Girl in the Green Sweater - Krystyna Chiger
14/40 Perfect Peace - Daniel Black
15/40 The Water Cure - Sophie Mackintosh
16/40 Cry to Heaven - Anne Rice
17/40 A Transcontinental Affair - Jodi Daynard

My favs from this lot were Cry to Heaven which is about the Castrati singers of Italy. Very interesting.

The Girl in the Green Seater about a Jewish family that had to live in the sewers of a Polish city for 18 months to evade the Nazis

Perfect Peace about a rural family with 6 boys and the mom really wanted a daughter so when her 7th son was born she decided to raise it as a girl and kept the secret from the whole family. At 8 years old she told this child she was really a boy and all the hardships the boy and the family faced after that. It was unbelievable how damaging this was to everyone involved.

MJ

I remember ADORING Geek Love when I was in college. Must have read it two or three times. I wonder how I would feel re-reading it.

45/80 Everything Happens for a Reason and Other Lies I’ve Loved by Kate Bowler

I am glad I found this book. It’s how she dealt with cancer and the prospect of early death. She’s an associate professor of the history of Christianity in North America, Duke Divinity School, in Durham NC. I was reading an article in which she says “Most Americans’ lives will not be better due to COVID-19....That doesn’t mean that this time can’t still be good, beautiful, or meaningful.” I knew I could learn something from this person of faith.

4.5 out of 5, but I’m a tough grader!

#31 of 60 "T" is for Trespass by Sue Grafton
I really enjoyed this one. I struggled to finish the "R" & the "S" books but this one reminded me of why I love this series.
I find this true with a lot of authors, so books just miss the mark, but then all you need is that one that will have you chasing the others.

#7 The Firm John Grisham
Daughter read for school and it was lying around the house. Really enjoyed it read The Racketeer and a few other Grisham books and enjoyed this one more than others.

If anyone is interested in reading any of my works. I would gladly send a kindle gift versions of any of them: “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”.
You can see them all reviewed at Goodreads (Click on link to view books). If you find any intriguing please PM me here and I can send out. I also have a couple of print copies that I could send out.

46/80 A month of Summer by Lisa Wingate. A woman learns about the other side of the divorce that split her family when she was 12. It’s a story of healing in the face of great obstacles. 4.5/5

Last edited:
40: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas: I was, admittedly, prepared to struggle with this book. It actually turned out to be incredibly well written, and was thought-provoking, from multiple angles, rather the just one that I was expecting. A very worthwhile read that I will be thinking about for some time. 5/5

It’s the end of June, so time for my end of the month wrap up on what I’ve read this month. This month I read 4 books, bringing my total for the year to 27. The four books I read in June were:

24) Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot by Mikki Kendall. Non-Fiction. A series of essays critiquing mainstream feminism and its habit of overlooking Intersectional issues. 4.5/5

25) How to Be Less Stupid About Race: On Racism, White Supremacy, and the Racial Divide by Crystal M. Fleming. Non-Fiction. Critical, humorous, & scholarly. An accessibly written look at systemic racism and how it effects everyone with absurd racial ideas. As well as concert ways to identify & demolish them. 4.25/5

26) The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson. Non-Fiction. A beautiful, long, masterpiece. From 1915 to 1970 millions of Black peoples left the south for northern & western cities, changing the way cities, the nation, & the people looked. Wilkerson interviewd over a thousand people for this, but focuses on three specific individuals to tell their stories of this decades long mass migration. 4.75/5

27) The Revolt of the Black Athlete by Harry Edwards. Non-Fiction. The 50th anniversary edition, with a new Introduction & Afterwards, of the classic read of the conflicts at the crossroads of race, sports, & society. 4.25/5

Last edited:
27. Magic Hour, Kristen Hannah. A little girl is discovered wandering out of the woods - alone, seemingly feral. What a story! Hannah is one of my favorite authors, and this goes to the top of the list! A don't miss book! 5/5

June:
#42/90: The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer (4/5) (romantic historical fiction)

Alice’s beloved Grandmother had a stroke and struggles to communicate, but is able to use Edison’s tablet to indicate that Alice must go on a mission to Poland. Alice is hesitant to leave her son Edison, as he is on the autism spectrum and relies on her. But she does go, and discovers her family’s untold story.
This is told in alternating voices as Alice in the present and Alina during WWII.

#43/90: Recursion by Blake Crouch (3/5) (sci fi thriller)

Something is causing people to have memories of a life that is not their own. A detective and a neuroscientist must work together to save humanity.

I found this to be a very uneven book; some parts I enjoyed, others I slogged through.

#44/90: Camino Winds by John Grisham (2/5) (fiction)

During a direct hit of a hurricane, one of Bruce’s author friends is found dead. Bruce sets out to prove that it was murder.

I really wanted to like this, but I couldn’t wait for it to be over!

#45/90: The Kommandant’s Girl by Pam Jenoff (4/5) (romantic historical fiction)

Emma is a young newlywed when the Nazis take over Poland. Her husband disappears due to his work with the resistance. She ends up living with his aunt, posing as a Catholic orphan. A chance encounter with a local Nazi official thrusts her into working for him while trying to pass on secrets.

#46/90: The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (5/5) (alternate history)

In 1940, Charles Lindbergh wins the presidential election. He begins a a program of anti-Semitism while fostering an understanding with Hitler. Story is told mostly through a Jewish family from Newark, NJ.

Since we don’t have HBO, I was pleased to be able to read this book.

#47/90: Walk the Wire (Memory Man #6) by David Baldacci (3.5/5) (murder mystery)

Amos and Alex are sent to a fracking town in North Dakota to investigate the murder of a woman, but are unable to get any answers as to why the FBI is involved.

#48/90: Snap Judgement (Samantha Brinkman #3) by Marcia Clark (4/5) (legal thriller)

A young woman is found murdered in her bathtub and the the young man suspected commits suicide a few days later...or is it murder? Sam and her team take on the case for the woman’s father, as he is concerned that he will be the prime suspect.

4 of 20: Shadow Fall by Alexander Freed

After their narrow victory over Shadow Wing, Alphabet Squadron is on the attack, hunting their adversaries within the Imperial Remnant. Shadow Wing is desperate for direction and leadership—and they find both in the iron will of Major Keize, their former commander and Yrica Quell’s one-time mentor. As battle lines blur, Alphabet Squadron finds itself not only fighting their resurgent foes, but their leader’s own deadly shadow.

I like Star Wars, but I'm not big in to the actual war aspect of the storylines. So I wasn't expecting to like this book, and I really didn't. The author takes a squadron of pilots, separates them, sidelines one entirely, and leaves them on the ground for a good portion of the book. Tedious and boring with unlikeable characters. 2 out of 5 stars.

23/30 --28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand
Loved this one and it's in my top 3 of her books. She's my favorite author and I scored a signed copy. Perfect escapist fiction for the summer.
I love her books too. Glad to see the great review. Haven’t had a chance to read this one yet.

It's been a minute since my last post, but I have a reason... Read on.

32. Thinner by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman)

This was the book that led to the demise of Richard Bachman (although Kin did use this name when publishing a few more books). With the publication of Thinner, a smart librarian figured out that Bachman and King were one and the same, and Bachman succumbed to cancer of the pseudonym. That said, of all of the Bachman books on the re-read, this one is the most recognizable as a King book. A short one, and a tale of revenge (and then revenge for revenge), it is a very quick read and a thrilling story.

33. Skeleton Crew by Stephen King

His third collection of short stories (after Graveyard Shift and Different Seasons), this one has some wonderful tales including the novella "The Mist" and "The Raft". This collection shows off King's expansive work across genre; "Beachworld" is pure science fiction, and "Word Processor of the Gods" is light fantasy. One story that stood out to me this time was "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut"; I had forgotten how great this story was.

34. It by Stephen King

And now we come to the reason why is has been almost a month since my last update. This is a monster (and I don't just mean Pennywise the clown). It as a novel is more than 1100 pages long; do I get credit for reading the equivalent of 4 normal size books here? If you have seen the recent movies, do yourself a favor and read the novel; It alternates between 1956 and 1983, telling both stories simultaneously, so that they unroll with beautiful symmetry and some striking parallels. I loved this book as I did the first time I read it, although there were several items that caused me noticeable discomfort this time - the language of race and racial stereotypes (which I am sure was authentic to the era) and the denouement in the tunnel from 1956. This book does take a long time to read and digest, and I feel like I have been on a journey, but I've returned.

To move on to The Drawing of the next Three Stephen King books.

It has been a productive two weeks.

35. The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King (book two of The Dark Tower series)

This is the book where I began to fall in love with the Dark Tower series. The introductions to the three (two?) characters that will prove important to Roland's journey to the Tower is handled beautifully (doorways anyone?). The book has humor, poignancy, and lobstrosities. What more could anyone want?

36. Camino Winds by John Grisham

A break from the King re-read for this quick jaunt. A fun and fully realized sequel (of sorts) to Camino Island, the book's plot line keeps you guessing, and keeps the pages turning. Since we previously lived in Jacksonville, I felt a connection to the locations mentioned, and thoroughly enjoyed the story.

37. Misery by Stephen King

I can't remember when I last read this book through. When I close my eyes. I picture Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes and it was fun to catch up with the origins of this character. The story had its moments of cringing (where my pain sensitive nerves empathically felt every twinge). It was also fun to notice the connections to It, The Shining, and The Drawing of the Three. The 300 pages flew by!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter