Annual Reading Challenge--2020

41: Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner: A little romance, a little murder mystery, a little "find out who your friends are". This was very good, but coming on the heels of Beach Read, I can't give it 5 stars. 4/5.

42: Tweet Cute by Emma Lord: I think this is actually young adult fiction. I loved it. Cheesy, adorable. 5/5. Great summer read

32/60 "U" is for Undertow by Sue Grafton
It's April 1988, a month before Kinsey Millhone's thirty-eighth birthday, and she's alone in her office catching up on paperwork when a young man arrives unannounced. He has a preppy air about him and looks as if he'd be carded if he tried to buy a beer, but Michael Sutton is twenty-seven, an unemployed college dropout. More than two decades ago, a four-year-old girl disappeared, and a recent newspaper story about her kidnapping has triggered a flood of memories. Sutton now believes he stumbled on her lonely burial and could identify the killers if he saw them again. He wants Kinsey's help in locating the grave and finding the men. It's way more than a long shot, but he's persistent and willing to pay cash up front. Reluctantly, Kinsey agrees to give him one day of her time.

But it isn't long before she discovers Sutton has an uneasy relationship with the truth. In essence, he's the boy who cried wolf. Is his story true, or simply one more in a long line of fabrications?

This is number 21 in the Kinsey Milhone series & one of the best so far. I really enjoyed it.

47/80 The Summer Kitchen by Lisa Wingate

I enjoyed this book that’s part of the Blue Sky Hill series.

22/25 Girls of Summer by Nancy Thayer

Lisa is a divorced woman in her 50’s living on Nantucket who finds love with a younger man. That same summer her two grown children return to the island and also find love.

This was a typical beach read, light, quick moving, and at times kind of sappy.

39. How To Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi. Powerful. A lot to take in.

I have heard it is really, really good. And challenging. Would love to see if you have read anything else in this area. White Fragility is on my list as well.

28. Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel, Ruth Hogan. A very interesting book - it felt like I was going in circles at times. But well drawn, different characters with a lot to work out. A definite 4/5. Definitely enjoyed it!

16/30-The Drawing of the Three--Dark Tower II by Stephen King. I didn't really like the first in the series, but I really, really enjoyed this one. It seemed much more "King-like." I'm excited to read the next in the series. Favorite part--the lobstrosities!!

17/30-Bear Town by Fredrik Backman. Really loved this book. I read Backman's Man Named Ove a few years ago and liked it but this one is much better. So many interesting characters. He moves the plot along very well. It's about hockey and not about hockey at the same time. It's been a great beach read, but be prepared to moved!

18/30--Racism without Racists by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva. Excellent and insightful. It seems a bit dated (it was originally published in 2003) and uses data from the late 90s, but I think the overall conclusions it draws are still relevant. I won't get into the politics of it on this thread but it clearly delineates the difference between the common white person's view that racists are hate-mongering KKK fanatics when in reality today's racism is very different and frequently perpetuated by those claiming "I'm not a racist." It is a very academic read, so if you are planning on giving it a try understand that the author is the current head of the American Sociology Association thus making it more like a textbook than a conversational read. (If you are looking for a more conversational read I suggest "So You Want to Talk About Race" by Ijeoma Oluo which I am about halfway through. It touches on the several of the same ideas and themes in a less jargony and academic way).

Next up for me: Speaking of Summer by Kalisha Buckhanon; The Waste Lands--Dark Tower III by Stephen King

I have heard it is really, really good. And challenging. Would love to see if you have read anything else in this area. White Fragility is on my list as well.
39. How To Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi. Powerful. A lot to take in.
I want to read this too. I am a library reader so I'm on hold waiting for a copy. I am also interested in another of Kendi's books called Stamped. I'm reading So You Want to Talk About Race by Oluo right now and it's very powerful.

7: Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler
Really enjoyed this one!

Eighty-nine-year-old Isabelle McAllister has a favor to ask her hairdresser Dorrie Curtis. It's a big one. Isabelle wants Dorrie, a black single mom in her thirties, to drop everything to drive her from her home in Arlington, Texas, to a funeral in Cincinnati. With no clear explanation why. Tomorrow.

Dorrie, fleeing problems of her own and curious whether she can unlock the secrets of Isabelle's guarded past, scarcely hesitates before agreeing, not knowing it will be a journey that changes both their lives.

Over the years, Dorrie and Isabelle have developed more than just a business relationship. They are friends. But Dorrie, fretting over the new man in her life and her teenage son's irresponsible choices, still wonders why Isabelle chose her.

Isabelle confesses that, as a willful teen in 1930s Kentucky, she fell deeply in love with Robert Prewitt, a would-be doctor and the black son of her family's housekeeper--in a town where blacks weren't allowed after dark. The tale of their forbidden relationship and its tragic consequences makes it clear Dorrie and Isabelle are headed for a gathering of the utmost importance and that the history of Isabelle's first and greatest love just might help Dorrie find her own way.

8: The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson
I finished it but it was really quite unremarkable. Not sure where all the 5 star hype came from on this one.

In a tantalizing set-up reminiscent of Patricia Highsmith’s classic Strangers on a Train… On a night flight from London to Boston, Ted Severson meets the stunning and mysterious Lily Kintner. Sharing one too many martinis, the strangers begin to play a game of truth, revealing very intimate details about themselves. Ted talks about his marriage that’s going stale and his wife Miranda, who he’s sure is cheating on him. Ted and his wife were a mismatch from the start—he the rich businessman, she the artistic free spirit—a contrast that once inflamed their passion, but has now become a cliché.

But their game turns a little darker when Ted jokes that he could kill Miranda for what she’s done. Lily, without missing a beat, says calmly, “I’d like to help.” After all, some people are the kind worth killing, like a lying, stinking, cheating spouse. . . .

Back in Boston, Ted and Lily’s twisted bond grows stronger as they begin to plot Miranda's demise. But there are a few things about Lily’s past that she hasn’t shared with Ted, namely her experience in the art and craft of murder, a journey that began in her very precocious youth.

Suddenly these co-conspirators are embroiled in a chilling game of cat-and-mouse, one they both cannot survive . . . with a shrewd and very determined detective on their tail.

9: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Definitely my fave book so far this summer!

Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now?

Monique is not exactly on top of the world. Her husband has left her, and her professional life is going nowhere. Regardless of why Evelyn has selected her to write her biography, Monique is determined to use this opportunity to jumpstart her career.

Summoned to Evelyn’s luxurious apartment, Monique listens in fascination as the actress tells her story. From making her way to Los Angeles in the 1950s to her decision to leave show business in the ‘80s, and, of course, the seven husbands along the way, Evelyn unspools a tale of ruthless ambition, unexpected friendship, and a great forbidden love. Monique begins to feel a very real connection to the legendary star, but as Evelyn’s story near its conclusion, it becomes clear that her life intersects with Monique’s own in tragic and irreversible ways.

Oops! forgot my 19/30 Dear Martin by Nic Stone. My family and I listened to it in the car on the road to our beach rental. It's YA, so it's not incredibly deep but for its intended audience I think it's good. It brings up a lot of ideas about race, racism, and privilege. My 14 year old son liked it.

18/30 - The Tale Teller by Anne Hillerman

This is the latest entry in the Leaphorn, Chee & Manuelito Navajo Police series. I really enjoyed it and the series overall!

And @bobbiwoz , I know you are a fan of the Hillerman series as well. I saw this recently on Anne Hillerman's Facebook page: "
A bit of news. "Stargazer" release scheduled for April 15, 2021. Bernie has her hands full this time..." I'm looking forward to it!​

23/25 Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano

A 12-year old boy is the lone survivor of a plane crash and his struggle to deal with the tragedy and move forward.

I was hesitant to read the book because flying is not my favorite thing. But it focused less on the crash and more on Edward and the the other passengers and their stories. I didn’t love it, there were parts I thought were far fetched (the requests of the people who wrote to Edward after the fact...who would do that?) and yet other parts I thought were well done (his gradual healing).

24/30 --The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand
This is the 3rd reading for me. I just had to pick it up again, because she references the Bistro in her most recent book. I wasn't ready to leave Nantucket yet. :)

Haven't posted in a while - I'm up to 13/42 as follows:

7. Cemetery Road by Greg Iles - not my favorite of his but above average
8. The Wives by Tarryn Fisher - a friend suggested this one - strange but kept my attention
9. Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah - she is one of my favorite authors and this one did not disappoint
10. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng - loved it
11. The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo - 4/5 stars
12. Tin God by Stacy Green - found this one as a free download from BookBub and enjoyed the story a lot, although the writing was not the best IMO
13. Voyager (Outlander #3) by Diana Gabaldon - it had been a couple of years since I read the first two books in the Outlander series, and once I started this one, I didn't know why I had waited so long. SO. GOOD.

14 (in progress) - Drums of Autumn (Outlander #4) by Diana Gabaldon - and after that I have #5 and #6 ready to go. The shortest one is around 1050 pages, though, so it may be a while until my next update!
I really enjoyed Magic Hour, as you say, it did not disappoint!
48/80

I want to read this too. I am a library reader so I'm on hold waiting for a copy. I am also interested in another of Kendi's books called Stamped. I'm reading So You Want to Talk About Race by Oluo right now and it's very powerful.
I have read Jesus and the Disinherited and I am starting The Cross and the Lynching Tree.

7: Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler
Really enjoyed this one!

Eighty-nine-year-old Isabelle McAllister has a favor to ask her hairdresser Dorrie Curtis. It's a big one. Isabelle wants Dorrie, a black single mom in her thirties, to drop everything to drive her from her home in Arlington, Texas, to a funeral in Cincinnati. With no clear explanation why. Tomorrow.

Dorrie, fleeing problems of her own and curious whether she can unlock the secrets of Isabelle's guarded past, scarcely hesitates before agreeing, not knowing it will be a journey that changes both their lives.

Over the years, Dorrie and Isabelle have developed more than just a business relationship. They are friends. But Dorrie, fretting over the new man in her life and her teenage son's irresponsible choices, still wonders why Isabelle chose her.

Isabelle confesses that, as a willful teen in 1930s Kentucky, she fell deeply in love with Robert Prewitt, a would-be doctor and the black son of her family's housekeeper--in a town where blacks weren't allowed after dark. The tale of their forbidden relationship and its tragic consequences makes it clear Dorrie and Isabelle are headed for a gathering of the utmost importance and that the history of Isabelle's first and greatest love just might help Dorrie find her own way.

8: The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson
I finished it but it was really quite unremarkable. Not sure where all the 5 star hype came from on this one.

In a tantalizing set-up reminiscent of Patricia Highsmith’s classic Strangers on a Train… On a night flight from London to Boston, Ted Severson meets the stunning and mysterious Lily Kintner. Sharing one too many martinis, the strangers begin to play a game of truth, revealing very intimate details about themselves. Ted talks about his marriage that’s going stale and his wife Miranda, who he’s sure is cheating on him. Ted and his wife were a mismatch from the start—he the rich businessman, she the artistic free spirit—a contrast that once inflamed their passion, but has now become a cliché.

But their game turns a little darker when Ted jokes that he could kill Miranda for what she’s done. Lily, without missing a beat, says calmly, “I’d like to help.” After all, some people are the kind worth killing, like a lying, stinking, cheating spouse. . . .

Back in Boston, Ted and Lily’s twisted bond grows stronger as they begin to plot Miranda's demise. But there are a few things about Lily’s past that she hasn’t shared with Ted, namely her experience in the art and craft of murder, a journey that began in her very precocious youth.

Suddenly these co-conspirators are embroiled in a chilling game of cat-and-mouse, one they both cannot survive . . . with a shrewd and very determined detective on their tail.

9: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Definitely my fave book so far this summer!

Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now?

Monique is not exactly on top of the world. Her husband has left her, and her professional life is going nowhere. Regardless of why Evelyn has selected her to write her biography, Monique is determined to use this opportunity to jumpstart her career.

Summoned to Evelyn’s luxurious apartment, Monique listens in fascination as the actress tells her story. From making her way to Los Angeles in the 1950s to her decision to leave show business in the ‘80s, and, of course, the seven husbands along the way, Evelyn unspools a tale of ruthless ambition, unexpected friendship, and a great forbidden love. Monique begins to feel a very real connection to the legendary star, but as Evelyn’s story near its conclusion, it becomes clear that her life intersects with Monique’s own in tragic and irreversible ways.
The 7 Husbands is fantastic!

20/30 Percy Jackson--The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordin. Listened to the audiobook on the way back from our annual beach trip with the family and really, really enjoyed this one. I wasn't sure I would like it but Riordin has a great pace to his writing--that's probably why he such a popular YA writer. I'm not a big fan of Greek Gods and such but I got into this and had a ton of fun along the way! I'm actually going to pick up Book 2 in the series!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter