Another money grab...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interrupting the discussion about alcohol availability to do a PSA:

There is a bar/snack bar place alongside the entrance of Expedition Everest. It’s called the Thirsty River something, and it serves Victory Brewing Company Golden Monkey on tap.

I highly recommend it. So delicious with coriander notes and it has a high ABV. Mellows you out for a relaxing Rivers of Light show. :)

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion...
THANK YOU! Part of my vacation budget is “Mickey ear-ed” for alcohol!! Always looking for new things to try!!

As for OPs original issue with too much alcohol in the parks...frankly I just don’t care. I get tired of people admonishing others for their decisions concerning alcohol. Disney’s bottom line is their focus. They know adults will drink. No one is messing up your vacation, so I do not understand this mentality. I’d you have issues with a guest call security. Otherwise leave us drinkers alone

Have a good day

...charging for nightly parking at one',s resort...

I agree with that one as a money grab unless they can justify why it needs to be charged, considering the room rates are so high. Guests driving in have no choice and it really adds up for a longer stay. I thank my lucky stars I'm a longtime DVC member when I see those room rates.

Well, for instance, we have certain family members who are a little too attracted by alcohol and they shift the agenda in not a good way. We don’t invite them along anymore. I find it sad that they are excluded.

I recognize that the ship has sailed and adult beverages are going to be a steady part of the park equation, and we’ll all adjust to that, but I still think Walt Disney had it right in the first place. He was wise in so many ways. And so I understand OP’s point of view.

But others shouldn't be forced to abstain because others are foolish.

So even were I an alcoholic with 2 days in AA and sober, I still wouldn't say that it's Disney's responsibility to keep me away from the booze.

Personal responsibility. Accountability.

So even were I an alcoholic with 2 days in AA and sober, I still wouldn't say that it's Disney's responsibility to keep me away from the booze.

Yes, that’s a popular argument, of course.

It was just nice to have a family place where even the weaker links of the family could be comfortably accommodated. And I’ll just leave it at that.

My wife speeds and I can't stop her. Clearly we need to ban automobiles.

Ok...well from my original post I have not been condescending, as has been suggested . I have never said that alcohol doesn't belong in the parks . Never meant to pass any judgements on those who responsibly drink at WDW. What I have said , and it is just my opinion , never meant to be presented as fact , is that the continued trend of Disney making more places to buy alcohol has the very real potential to create problems that they don't want . That no one wants . This was not meant to offend anyone or to tell or suggest how anyone spend their money and time on their vacation . I respect all of your opinions even if we disagree on some of them . Some people have totally and completely misunderstood my intentions and tone for some reason and for that I apologize for not making my opinion clearer .

Yes, that’s a popular argument, of course.

It was just nice to have a family place where even the weaker links of the family could be comfortably accommodated. And I’ll just leave it at that.

I don't want to be rude, but tens of thousands of people can walk past a new lounge or beverage cart without having to get drunk or drastically change their families agenda or whatever the argument is here.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like alcohol being more accessible actually makes it less likely to change the days agenda. For example, it saves a lot of time if I can grab my daughter a pretzel and myself a beer from the same cart instead of making 2 different stops.

Also, should Disney really cater specifically to the very few people who just can't help themselves around alcohol? I feel like that would be a terrible idea instead of giving more access to the thousands of people who aren't addicts or whatever the case is with that specific person. It seems like some people on here have personal problems or have friends/family with personal problems and it's somehow Disney's fault that it messes with their vacation. It would be like people complaining about the addition of a fried food stand as if it's forcing people to eat there instead of the other 20 options in that park. Just walk past the beer/food/whatever if you don't want to partake.

I guess I just don't see WDW as less of a "family place" with the addition of alcohol. I'm genuinely sorry if you're dealing with family that can't control themselves around alcohol and it has messed up one of your vacations, but I'm not sure it makes Disney less of a "family place" overall because of your seemingly very unique situation. I see far more bad behavior coming from children (including my own!) than adults drinking.

Going to clarify my original post because it seems many have either misinterpreted , misread , or didn't read the whole post . So here goes...I don't have a problem with alcohol being available in the parks or with anyone who wants to drink while on vacation...again in the right places and responsibly . My post was me expressing my concern about Disney's trend of making alcohol too accessible and what that could mean going forward . I see this as another easy way for Disney to make big bucks with little consideration of the possible effect it will have on the parks atmosphere especially for those with young children .

I believe the Disney atmosphere is geared towards all, hence the reason there are rides for all ages, balloons that are Mickey shaped and alcoholic beverages. If Disney was entirely geared towards families with small children it wouldn't be the vacation destination it is, with rides that have height restrictions. Families come in all shapes and sizes, we have no small children, does that mean we shouldn't go? If you can'y address alcohol in a healthy way with your children, and explain to them if someone has had too much (with in all my trips I have not witnessed, even at Epcot) then perhaps some research and education are needed for you.

What I have said , and it is just my opinion , never meant to be presented as fact , is that the continued trend of Disney making more places to buy alcohol has the very real potential to create problems that they don't want .

Maybe, if WDW had always been completely dry then suddenly tomorrow it opens 100+ locations to purchase alcohol. Just because a venue (attraction, show, kiosk, resort, bar, restaurant...) exists, NOBODY is forced or required to access it.

it's not the first time I've seen the "recovering alcoholic might fall off the wagon because the booze is there" point of view.

I'm guessing those family members are also not invited to restaurants, festivals, neighborhood cookouts or other places where alcohol is served. these places don't have a duty to accommodate them, their recovery and attitude toward alcohol is up to them. Nor does WDW.

I have taken several group trips with family members (mostly with in-laws). The closest collary was a trip to Universal Studios a few years back.

Make up of the party.

1. Me and Wife who don't have children by choice. At the time very late 40's
2. SIL, her husband and their five children between 3 yo up to 11 yo
3. BIL, his wife and two children one 13 yo and the other 5 yo
4. MIL

On the first day, I hung out with the family for a few hours doing a few rides with them. However I was getting bored. Instead of dragging the family to do things I wanted to do, i.e. rides that the children could not do and have a couple of drinks while reading some magazines I brought along. I split off on my own. They understood. I would periodically meet up with the during the day at the park du jour and have meals with them.

I have also done several cruises and other trips with various members of my in-laws including my wife's cousins and their children. There was no expectation that we would be attached at the hip through out the day. We are all adult enough to realize that we have different interests, so we do things together and also do things seperately during group vacations.

Well, I do agree with the OP. The thing is, Disney parks have always been places where families and friends gather together and have Fun. Let’s face it...families are complex, as are groups of friends. All it takes is one person in the group who is very “booze focused,” and suddenly the day’s agenda changes, the time on attractions with the kids diminishes, the search for family-friendly snacks goes on the back burner, etc., etc.

I just think it’s a healthier, happier time if liquor isn’t around every corner. And I say this even though I’m a girl who very much enjoys an Old Fashioned.

but I would much rather they have a lounge than a beverage cart with alcohol (which they already have)
And the more lounges the less people in MY favorite places :D

I just think all alcohol tastes like sock sweat
:rotfl:
tea snort laugh! OMG :rotfl::rotfl:
At the price point, no one is getting that drunk at the Disney parks on the regular.
Part of the reason I choose the lounge experience and not the carts-I want to be able to enjoy that highly overpriced drink!

We should get all banged up on margaritas together in Mexico and then go drunk driving on Test Track!
:rotfl::rotfl:You'd think I'd have learned to not be drinking the tea after the first tea-snort laugh!

Had a wine spritzer at LTT last trip-have to say it did feel a bit weird to have alcohol in the MK though. Now coming from lunch/dinner at a monorail resort where alcohol was consumed-no problem. But I felt like I was sneaking into parents liquor cabinet while drinking in the park:P

Ok...well from my original post I have not been condescending, as has been suggested . I have never said that alcohol doesn't belong in the parks . Never meant to pass any judgements on those who responsibly drink at WDW. What I have said , and it is just my opinion , never meant to be presented as fact , is that the continued trend of Disney making more places to buy alcohol has the very real potential to create problems that they don't want . That no one wants . This was not meant to offend anyone or to tell or suggest how anyone spend their money and time on their vacation . I respect all of your opinions even if we disagree on some of them . Some people have totally and completely misunderstood my intentions and tone for some reason and for that I apologize for not making my opinion clearer .
You're trapped in the "It's not what you said. It's what I think you really meant." tunnel.
No matter how many times you clarify your position, restate the facts, or reiterate that it's just your opinion, you will be assaulted by those who believe that you said something else and will swear to their grave that you did.
It's the same with any touchy subject because there will always be people who are absolutely convinced that whatever you say is wrong and whatever they say is Gospel and written in stone by God somewhere.

Last edited:
Funny, I haven’t even been thinking about concern for real alcoholics. Agree that they are challenged just about everywhere. I’ve just found that hardy partiers are typically strong influencers. That’s been very evident here on this thread!!!

I suppose I’d rather be looking for a Mickey ice cream for the kids, rather than looking for a spiked slushie for Cousin Sue. Call me a fuddy duddy, but I think Walt nailed it.

Funny, I haven’t even been thinking about concern for real alcoholics. Agree that they are challenged just about everywhere. I’ve just found that hardy partiers are typically strong influencers. That’s been very evident here on this thread!!!

I suppose I’d rather be looking for a Mickey ice cream for the kids, rather than looking for a spiked slushie for Cousin Sue. Call me a fuddy duddy, but I think Walt nailed it.

Aww, you corrected the typo/autocorrect! "Fuddled daddy" gave me a giggle fit at work.

I see no problem with alcohol at WDW and my father has been an alcoholic all of his life. He just got clean two years ago and I’m 35.

You can’t tip toe around life just because a select few can’t control themselves. Maybe we should remove all food with any sugar or fat content from the parks because the obesity rates in America are horrific.

Am i the only one who isn’t bothered by drunk people? I actually find them comical.

I like to drink but have never gotten drunk at the parks since i would probably have to spend at least $100 to get a buzz.

On that note I’ve never seen a drunk person at WDW or maybe I’m just too enthralled in me and my family that i don’t have time to pay attention.

I’ve just found that hardy partiers are typically strong influencers. That’s been very evident here on this thread!!!

Now this is just ridiculous. People in this thread saying that it's silly to have an issue with alcohol in WDW hardly equates to any of us being "strong influencers". That's absurd. I highly doubt that any of us are going to peer pressure you or anybody else into drinking. That's such a wild reach.

I suppose I’d rather be looking for a Mickey ice cream for the kids, rather than looking for a spiked slushie for Cousin Sue.

Por que no los dos?

Now this is just ridiculous. People in this thread saying that it's silly to have an issue with alcohol in WDW hardly equates to any of us being "strong influencers". That's absurd. I highly doubt that any of us are going to peer pressure you or anybody else into drinking. That's such a wild reach.

Por que no los dos?

Let’s just call them vehement. :love1:

I used the wrong wording in that I’m not talking about influencing other people to drink — they just push to go spend time at the cocktail outlets instead of doing other things.

And another poster mentioned ditching out for awhile because he was bored with the family time. Fair enough, but if the option wasn’t there to go have a tall cool one, he may have been “forced” to stick around and build family memories.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter