• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any changes to the med cruise

Although the strikes are set to last for a total of 25 days, they will be spread out over the coming months on weekends and national days.

Starting on September 15, the 24-hour strikes will take place until December - including Christmas holidays.

Other scheduled dates include 17, 22, 24 and 29 September, 1, 6, 11, 15, 27, 30 and 31 October, 3 and 5 November and 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30 December.

so by the looks of things by us leaving the 16th of sept we shouldnt get mixed up in the strike

but we are taking disney transfers from the port to the airport so we should get to the airport pretty early and our flight doesnt leave until 345pm

hoping this all works out

thanks for the update and have a safe and wonderful cruise

We just returned home from the magic cruise that went from the 12-19 of August and we were leaving Villefranche when we got the alert on our cell phones about the attack. Disney was great with information alerting passengers for the possibility of increased security and so forth. I will say there was definitely a higher sense of security and much more noticeable driving around the city area in just the week we were away. I mean, Rome had major security like I have never seen there before but Barcelona prior to this attack, did not have near the presence that we saw in Rome. Currently the airport screening agents are halting their strike due to their terrorist attack so we encountered no difficulties there either but who knows when and if they will start again. They had been scheduled to strike on our return date on the 19th. Be prepared for increased security if you have a direct flight back to the US as passport control takes a tad longer and they delay the opening of it. There were 3 US based flights leaving within a hour of each and they would only do passport control for one at a time and let you to the gate area then.

glad to hear you made it home safe from your cruise--we havent heard anything yet for our date (9-16-) to come home--hopefully by that time things might get better

on a happier note--how was your cruise--hope you had a really good time

if you wouldnt mind if you could fill me in on anything for this cruise--did you do any port adventures (we have 1 in each port through disney)

how was the ship itself--this will be our 4th DCL trip but first one the magic--how was the food and dining rooms--does AP still have the show where the room changes colors

sorry for all the questions --Im getting so excited

thanks

I am leaving for Barcelona on Wednesday for the sailing on the 26th. Have not heard anything different. Assume no changes and act with more vigilance, dress to less look like an American tourist and enjoy myself. Will pay our respects at the memorial in sure

We will be on the Sept 9 cruise out of Barcelona and leaving to come home on Sept 17, one of the days of the scheduled strike. We will just give ourselves plenty of time for the airport and hope for the best.

Slightly O/T, but I'd also be interested in a trip report mrsp1030.

I plan on writing a much more extensive trip report on my blog very soon ( as in when my kids return to school next week) but can help with some basics right now.

1. Barcelona: We flew in the on Friday morning and booked our own transfers and a 4 hour tour directly from the airport via Barcelona Day Tours...They even purchased our Skip the Line Tickets to Park Guell ahead of time and it was definitely a great way for us to see Barcelona in a nutshell. Wonderful service overall. They also provided our transfers to/from the port. We stayed at the Renaissance using points and there was a Disney service rep there for those staying via Disney and using their transfers. Wonderful hotel with a nice rooftop area for drinks and hanging out in the evening. We walked to Playa Catalunya in about 10 minutes and ate dinner right at tip of Las Ramblas. Never felt unsafe at all. Wonderful city and people.

2. This was our 2nd time on the Magic so we knew the ship well. We even had our previous server one morning for breakfast. We had a 11:30 arrival time and we were checked in and on the boat by 12:30. There is a small shop in the port where you can grab some wine/water to take onboard. We grabbed 4 bottles of wine and it was well worth it! I think we left port a tad late that evening as the sail away party, we didn't sail way until almost 7pm during the opening show. The main shows were Twice Charmed on the 2nd night, Tangled on the 5th Night, and Once Upon A Dream on the Last night. We did have Pirate Night on Villefranche with a smaller display of fireworks but it was very odd as it was also the Captain's Gala night so the waiters were dressed in tuxes. We had Animator's 3x in our rotation and the first time we had the main show and last night we got to do the actual animation show so the kids loved it. Main complaint was the pool was constantly closed for accidents at minimum 1-2x per day it seemed. We did eat at Palo and it was amazing; so quiet and very rarely busy at this is a port intensive cruise. If you do eat there, I highly recommend the pan seared sole...wow...we could have eaten about 10 of them..amazing.
Spa services were great as well: I had a stone massage and a pedicure and both were excellent. Kids as always loved the kids clubs and we had tons of family fun doing game shows, bingo, etc...

3. Ports: In Italy I booked all my own private tours ahead of time and they were all fantastic. All drivers were in port, on time, and gave us amazing days. In Naples, we went to an olive oil factory and tasted 30 varieties, shopped in Sorrento, made our own pizzas at a tiny village outside sorrento, and visited Pompeii. In Rome, we saw all the sites, went into St.Peters and had a fantastic afternoon. In Livorno, we visited Pisa, biked through Lucca, visited a unique town along the coast and had the best gelato ever back in Livorno. All my guides asked for ideas and they would even stop and add extra time if we asked. Our tablemates said their trip to Rome via disney felt rushed and they did not enjoy it nearly as much as what we did it seemed. We did book a Disney excursions in villefranche and it was a let down after our 3 private ones in Italy, mainly because I felt rushed...like 10-15 min of free time at every stop, not the easy pace our guides gave us.

Hope that helps somewhat. Ask any questions and I will try my best to help answer.

In Italy I booked all my own private tours ahead of time and they were all fantastic.
Would you be willing to share the companies you used?

So if you had captains gala on pirate night, what were your other menus? Last year they did the Frozen menu one night.

Okay, how am I so out of the loop that I didn't know that there are airport strikes "scheduled" in Barcelona? I knew about the festival on Sept. 11 that is closing the roads down in the city but totally missed this!!

Would you be willing to share the companies you used?

So if you had captains gala on pirate night, what were your other menus? Last year they did the Frozen menu one night.

Well, I will be honest...we did not eat in the dining room every night as the port days were very long so we often ordered room service and went to Cabanas. I think they were standard rotational the first 3 nights and the only other special one I remember was the Captain's Gala and Animator's Show.

As for our own tour companies. We used Joe Banana Limo in Naples. They had a kid specific tour that we felt was perfect for our family and it worked out great. In Rome & Livorno I used a company called Tuscan Heart and worked specifically with their owner to plan our tours. Again, fantastic!

So pirate night and captains gala was same night? thats odd and not somethign I'm thrilled about. LOL Guess it could be fun trying to dress up like a pirate in formal wear :P

Formal night was the first sea day so we were all confused why they did it that way. Pirate Night was the official attire but the servers were the only ones dressed in formal attire.

Formal night was the first sea day so we were all confused why they did it that way. Pirate Night was the official attire but the servers were the only ones dressed in formal attire.

Ahhh ok I misunderstood. So formal was 2nd night of cruise. Weird to have the menu though as captain gala. I actually am ok with that since I hated pirate night menu and usually go to palo that night. Just not a favorite of mine is all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter