• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any post-Disneyland trip illnesses/covid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just returned home from a DL/California trip on the 13th and started showing symptoms on the 17th. Two at home swabs were negative for COVID, but I am still feeling cruddy, with the exact symptoms of Omicron. I can work from home and my daughter is on vacay so I am just choosing to isolate instead of going into a clinic for a test. It is mild compared to what it could be.

I just returned home from a DL/California trip on the 13th and started showing symptoms on the 17th. Two at home swabs were negative for COVID, but I am still feeling cruddy, with the exact symptoms of Omicron. I can work from home and my daughter is on vacay so I am just choosing to isolate instead of going into a clinic for a test. It is mild compared to what it could be.
The problem is, for 18 months we were all much more isolated and had far less interaction with others outside our immediate social and familial circles. As a result, colds and seasonal flus were WAY down last year. Now, with much more interaction, while most of us wont get Covid, we WILL be seeing a return to common cold and flu infections, which are going to present like Covid.

I, for one, haven't been sick once since December of 2019 (2 full years now), versus the typical 2-3 colds or flus each year, but I am 100% positive I'll be getting something eventually, whether it's Covid (fully vaxxed and boosted) or a return to seasonal infections. it's just a matter or time.

The problem is, for 18 months we were all much more isolated and had far less interaction with others outside our immediate social and familial circles. As a result, colds and seasonal flus were WAY down last year. Now, with much more interaction, while most of us wont get Covid, we WILL be seeing a return to common cold and flu infections, which are going to present like Covid.

I, for one, haven't been sick once since December of 2019 (2 full years now), versus the typical 2-3 colds or flus each year, but I am 100% positive I'll be getting something eventually, whether it's Covid (fully vaxxed and boosted) or a return to seasonal infections. it's just a matter or time.

I live in Florida, lol ... we only isolated for 3 weeks. My kids go to public school, where masks aren't required. I work in a 27 story office building where masks aren't required. I go to WDW biweekly. I went to Vegas in May. I went to DC in June. My sickness is definitely not related to being isolated. I was exposed to something on my trip, more than likely

I live in Florida, lol ... we only isolated for 3 weeks. My kids go to public school, where masks aren't required. I work in a 27 story office building where masks aren't required. I go to WDW biweekly. I went to Vegas in May. I went to DC in June. My sickness is definitely not related to being isolated. I was exposed to something on my trip, more than likely
Ok, well that's completely NOT what I said. but that's fine. Whether you or anyone else (or an entire state) isolated or when isn't germane to the point I was making, the fact that millions DID elsewhere is. The fact is that there are cold and flu strains now circulating everywhere NOW that weren't just a few months ago. May and June aren't cold and flu season: October, November and December are. Returns to travel across the country and around the world, and less restrictive protocols everywhere mean that the other seasonal sicknesses that we've all been accustomed to pre-pandemic are all coming back after a hiatus (there's a reason your health care provider is also pushing flu shots more heavily this year than last).

Obviously, you were exposed to something and are sick, but my point was that while the likeliness that is Covid absolutely exists and should be taken very seriously, there's also a growing possibility that it is one of the other more ubiquitous seasonal diseases that are increasing everywhere.

That also doesn't mean you're any less sick or shouldn't be careful. A bad cold may feel just like a mild case of Covid for a vaccinated person (with the symptoms almost identical). It makes at-home testing even more important, so that actual transmission, infection, sickness, and recovery rates for Covid can be isolated from what is going to be a flood of non-Covid disease (which may suck just as bad) as we return to "normalcy".

And to the OP, my point was/is that the question really needs to be are you suffering from post-trip Covid, or some other post-trip sickness (that someone would possibly get after any other pre-pandemic trip during cold and flu season), because while the former may be far worse, the latter may become more common. That's all.

Last edited:
DH and I are supposed to head back Jan 19-24th, and we are rethinking it now due to Omicron. Even boosted, I don't want to pick it up inadvertantly, and possibly asymptomatically, and pass it on. Going to see how things go... unless Alaska reinstitutes their free rescheduling policy, we'd have to eat the "savers" airfare.

This is a very real possibility. Our 3 month old just recovered from COViD. He doesn’t get taken anywhere and is only around vaccinated and boosted people. Every single person he came into contact with tested negative with PCR tests twice. The only thing his doctor can think of is someone had COViD and was asymptomatic, and the virus had run its course by the time they were tested. We were planning to go to Disneyland this week but we’ve decided it just isn’t worth the risk of catching something (not just COViD) and spreading it to others.

Went week before thanksgiving, all of us are vaccinated and nobody got sick. Both kids have had several colds since school started again. Neither wore masks except when required (or I told them to 😂) and we all left healthy.

In the Before Times™, we would ALWAYS get sick after Disneyland. Cough, sniffles, etc...

In the two trips we've taken in the last 6 months (May 2021, December 2021) no one has gotten sick, and I attribute that to a) active attempts to distance from people, b) our avoidance of the crowded crush events (watching fireworks on Main Street, watching a parade), c) mask wearing, even outdoors, and d) low COVID and flu #'s on the dates visited (May 2021 was before the CA reopening, early December 2021 was before Omicron spread for COVID and generally low cases).

I went to DLR with my sister Dec 13-16. We masked indoors but not outdoors unless we were in a really crowded spot. I've not come down with anything, but my dh, who did not go on the trip, got sick while I was gone and is still recovering. He tested negative for Covid (twice) but positive for RSV. He developed a secondary infection from it.

Anyway, just saying that it's a little ironic that I was the one facing the most exposure (we don't get out that much at home) and he's the one that got sick. We are both vaccinated and have had our boosters, and have 1 kid home from college for the holidays who is also vaccinated and boostered.

We are heading home today after 5 days at DL. One of my sons has quite a bit of congestion / runny nose, but he literally gets this every single time we go to DL. The rest of us feel fine. We masked indoors, no masking outdoors and fully vaccinated.

We are pretty casual about the whole thing, and have been the whole time...meaning, I wear a mask when I must and that's it, no extra wiping of anything, if people get close to me I don't really care, etc. We came home healthy. Most of these answers are from people who are fairly cautious. My position is different. I did the least amount possible and still came home healthy!! Have a great trip!

We went a few weeks ago and came back with COVID-like symptoms, but tested negative. Felt pretty terrible for the week after we returned. We were fully vaccinated at the time and wore masks indoors but not outdoors.

We traveled with friends who dropped a bomb on the way home that one of their kids was exposed to the illness at school and was to be quarantining during the time he went with us to Disneyland... Extremely frustrating for our family who takes precautions seriously, but reinforces to us that you can't be too trusting of others (even friends). We're planning a quick trip in a few weeks with just our family and will be wearing masks both indoor/outdoor for the most part because you never know if you are standing next to someone like our friend's kid lol

Went in November with a coworker for 2 days/nights and we flew down. Both of us were fully vaccinated for covid and flu, and we got our boosters 2wks prior. We wore masks when indoors and when crowds or lines were getting tight. We found that people around us were also at about 50% voluntary mask wearing in outdoor switchback queues and crowds. We ate outdoors only, including a few table service stops. We used plenty of hand sanitizer and hand washing, especially after rides and before touching food or drink, which was the exact same level of hand sanitizer and hand washing I have used on all my pre pandemic Disneyland trips. No illness developed for either of us. I went again for a day/night in December alone; no illness or symptoms of any kind after returning home. One of my past trips was during the H1N1 outbreak, and using the same hygiene steps, did not pick up any crud or plague then.

Hope this helps you weigh your risk tolerance.

Oct 13-17. 3 of the 4 of us got sick (non-covid) on the evening of the 17th. Thinking we caught it before we went as the kids school had a bug going around that week. Nov 11-14. Got booster on the 15th and got sick that night with nasty cough and congestion (non covid again). So a cold to go with the side effects of the booster. We sanitize after every ride. Wear our masks indoors. Avoid the long indoor queues and the sardine queues in fantasy land.

3 other trips in June, September and December we had no problems.

Ulimately, everything is anecdotal. Like others have said, quite frequently we come home with some sickness simply from being tired and doing so much. You can't control what others do, but you can control what you do - wearing masks, distancing, all that stuff. I know not everyone takes it as seriously as some do, and if they haven't gotten it, it really comes down to luck. I know some people take every precaution and then some and still get sick. Again, luck. As a frontline healthcare worker, all I ask is at least at the parks, do you part, follow the masking rules, and be kind to those that have to enforce the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter