Any Rhode Island DISers?

maggnanimouse

Mouseketeer
I'm moving to Rhode Island next month, and just wanted to see if anyone has any tips or insider knowledge for a Rhode Island newbie! Please send any recommendations for food and fun activities!

Reactions: GAN
The zoo is great -has seasonal activities like at Halloween and Christmas. There are festivals during the year in different towns. We are known for our Italian food especially on federal hill in Providence and seafood-check out George’s and the Coast Guard House in Narragansett. Feel free to PM me. I’m a native.

RI Riddle Room offers top notch escape rooms. I'm in MA but have driven over an hour each way just for them. Challenging but not unreasonable, and they use different mechanisms.

I'm moving to Rhode Island next month, and just wanted to see if anyone has any tips or insider knowledge for a Rhode Island newbie! Please send any recommendations for food and fun activities!
Where are you moving from? Summers can be great here(as well as fall), winters can be a mix of snow and cold, damp weather …with a few relatively warmer days mixed in. As mentioned, we have great food here …some of the best you will find which is great if you enjoy going out. Matunuck Oyster Bar ..there is no equal if you want seafood and a special meal. Are you heading to Newport?

I'm curious if you will be following Rhode Island FC as a newbie to Rhode Island since their first ever match is tomorrow?

https://www.providencejournal.com/s...opener-what-to-know-for-saturday/72985318007/

https://www.rhodeislandfc.com/news/...revealed-for-rhode-island-fc-inaugural-match/

Last edited:

Hopefully you’re not moving to the East Bay (across the 195 bridge!). Lol that commute every day during the work week is kicking my butt. If you have young kids, the zoo and children’s museum is awesome. You’ll find great Italian food on the Hill or in Johnston. You have to try sauce pizza…a RI staple that can be found at most bakeries and coffee milk at wright’s dairy farm! Everything at Wright’s is to die for. So yummy!

Not from RI - but I will say the Zoo is really good and they have a lot of good events.

The food at Federal Hill is far superior to the North End in Boston IMO. There is a lot of good food in general in Providence.

Also lots of good stuff in Newport to see. Yes it can be touristy, but if you go mid week and off season its pretty good.
Cool events at Christmas as well with the mansions.

I've not done it, but there is also the Fire Walk I have heard is good, whenever that is.

One thing I found odd in RI - driving more than 20-30 miles seems to be a major road trip - its very odd.
I used to drive about 50 miles each way several days a week to Providence and people seemed shocked at it - especially when you were only there for two or three hours. It was very odd, but maybe that is part of being the smallest state.

One thing I found odd in RI - driving more than 20-30 miles seems to be a major road trip - its very odd.
I used to drive about 50 miles each way several days a week to Providence and people seemed shocked at it - especially when you were only there for two or three hours. It was very odd, but maybe that is part of being the smallest state.
That's because we can drive from one end of the state to the other in basically an hour. If you live in Providence county, you don't usually venture down to South County unless its the summer or you're going to Newport. Lol...you just don't. It's definitely a native RIer thing for sure!

One thing I found odd in RI - driving more than 20-30 miles seems to be a major road trip - it’s very odd.
Thats the inside joke around here….

Not from RI - but I will say the Zoo is really good and they have a lot of good events.

The food at Federal Hill is far superior to the North End in Boston IMO. There is a lot of good food in general in Providence.

Also lots of good stuff in Newport to see. Yes it can be touristy, but if you go mid week and off season its pretty good.
Cool events at Christmas as well with the mansions.

I've not done it, but there is also the Fire Walk I have heard is good, whenever that is.

I’m sure you’ve heard people (semi-jokingly) ask if you packed a lunch for the trip. A true Rhode Islander doesn’t travel more than 20 minutes without a food stop. And a Dunkin Iced Coffee is almost a mandatory accessory in the cup holder

Thank you everyone for your greats tips! I'm moving from Los Angeles, but am originally from PA, so the weather won't be too much of an adjustment. (In fact, I'm looking forward to escaping perpetual sunshine and experiencing the seasons again!)

I'm moving for a new job in Middletown and was able to find a place in Portsmouth, so I'm going to be fortunate enough to avoid bridges when I commute.

Can't wait to give all of your suggestions a try! Thanks, neighbors!

Thank you everyone for your greats tips! I'm moving from Los Angeles, but am originally from PA, so the weather won't be too much of an adjustment. (In fact, I'm looking forward to escaping perpetual sunshine and experiencing the seasons again!)

I'm moving for a new job in Middletown and was able to find a place in Portsmouth, so I'm going to be fortunate enough to avoid bridges when I commute.

Can't wait to give all of your suggestions a try! Thanks, neighbors!
Best of luck to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter