• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

What has Disney actually released?
The language around the intent of DAS (small percentage of guests with developmental disabilities) and changes to their disability pages that mention alternative accommodations such as rider switch and return to line, reducing the number of companions in some cases, instituting the 10 minute wait after tap in to choose the next attraction.

I agree... there will always be folks who try to circumvent the system, but whether or not it's raging out of control is another issue. Too often it seems "improvements" have unintended consequences.

What ever Disney's reasoning is for changing the DAS System, I just hope that it truly is an improvement, and their good intentions don't affect guests who need the accomodations but are negatively impacted in the process.

But there will always be people "testing" the limits.
I bolded the above because I think that is the key that so many are overlooking...needing accommodations does not always, or I would venture, usually, equate to needing DAS (not saying that's what you're implying). As DAS has been the only non-mobility queue accommodation for the past 11 years, that's what everyone who needed queue accommodations for non-mobility issues have used, so of course changing it so that not everyone who has it now will get it in the future is scary. Especially since Disney hasn't (understandably) detailed what new accommodations will be available.

But I think it's clear that fewer DAS passes will be issued, and guests will just need to determine whether or not the new accommodations still make a trip to Disney possible (not easier, possible). For some, they'll probably walk away from Disney, as some did when DAS replaced GAC. Others will adjust to the new accommodations and continue to visit Disney.

I know I said that I was out of here but everyone saying that they wished a doctor’s note was required is bothering me. I do not agree with that at all. The only thing a doctor’s note will do is give a diagnosis or say that accommodations are needed. A couple of issues is 1) People can have the same diagnosis but have very different needs. 2) They can’t specify to a business what those accommodations are. If you take the need for accommodations at face value, rider swap and return to the line are valid accommodations. 3) It does nothing but create a situation where people can argue or make for disappointment. People can then get frustrated when offered accommodations such as rider swap or return to the line, “their doctor said they needed accommodations” which they take as DAS. 4) Yes, Universal utilizes a company where one has to provide proof of disability. That is all it does, provides proof. One still needs to talk with Universal to explain what accommodations are needed.

Last edited:
I find this to be very interesting. From what I gather, Disney doesn't have to provide DAS at all (correct me if I'm wrong) but if they get too aggravated by all this kerfuffle they could (possibly) discontinue DAS in all forms, yet they still follow ADA. Would this be correct? So will all the petitions do anything?

I find this to be very interesting. From what I gather, Disney doesn't have to provide DAS at all (correct me if I'm wrong) but if they get too aggravated by all this kerfuffle they could (possibly) discontinue DAS in all forms, yet they still follow ADA. Would this be correct? So will all the petitions do anything?
Disney has to provide reasonable accommodations. While in theory they could discontinue the DAS and provide different accommodations, I think it's highly unlikely they would do so; they won a lawsuit that dragged on for nine years after a federal judge and an appeals court determined that DAS was a reasonable accommodation for guests with autism. I suspect (just speculation on my part) that the reason they specifically mentioned autism when they made the announcement about changes to DAS was due to the fact that they don't want to be seen as taking away an accommodation for a group that federal courts have determined were reasonably accommodated by DAS.

The language around the intent of DAS (small percentage of guests with developmental disabilities) and changes to their disability pages that mention alternative accommodations such as rider switch and return to line, reducing the number of companions in some cases, instituting the 10 minute wait after tap in to choose the next attraction.
None of that proves abuse. In theory reducing DAS to only those with developmental disabilites should reduce the number of people in the LL, but only time will tell. They could just go and sell the extra space they made as more Genie+ slots.

Rider Switch on the WDW page still only talks about using it for someone who is not riding. It does currently seem like an accommodation for someone who wants to ride. Not sure if the DL page is different. I don't see return to line mentioned at all.

1. I have noticed some people claiming there is no DAS abuse.

I know anecdote is not data, but my sister falsely claimed DAS for the past few years for her family of five for her two week break.

She has been trying to talk me into doing it by telling me how easy it is. She learned about it from someone from work.

I took great pleasure in smugly telling her they were locking it down. She is going to try anyway for this summer, will be interesting to see if she can still get it!
I haven't noticed people saying there is no DAS abuse. There are multiple types of abuse, including (not in any particular order)
  1. People are not disabled, but fake a disability
  2. People who have a disability, but 'overstate' their needs to get more accommodations
  3. People, like some TikTok creators, Internet 'influencers' and people who tell others how to fake a disability to get DAS
  4. People with DAS who 'sell' spots on their Friends & Family list to act as unofficial tour guides with Lightning Lane access. Some of those people may be totally scamming, some may have actual disabilities that qualify for DAS and some may be overstating their disabilities
The one thing people are posting they don't believe is the extrapolated numbers posted by some people (that 75-80% of all Lightning Lane entries are DAS)
1 - okay but as long as there is no need for a diagnosis note, the risk for abuse will remain much higher.

2 - Did you see that I mentioned 'potentialy no longer need DAS'? Obviously there are a lot of reasons for people needing DAS and still have an EVC/wheelchair. If mobilitiy disabilities alone haven't qualified for a while already, fine.

What you don't address is how people with hidden disabilities will be negatively affected by these changes. This is a step in the completely wrong direction and so much better managed by Disneyland Paris for instance. But let's see how it will work in reality. It will not affect us for quite some time and the process might look completely different in October 2025.
1) a diagnosis doesn't mean the person has a need for accommodation. People with the same diagnosis can have very different needs. An example I've given is that my daughter has Cerebral Palsy which affects her entire body (that is not her reason for DAS). One of her physicians was an orthopedic surgeon who also had Cerebral Palsy. His CP affected one leg and he wore a brace on that leg. Same diagnosis, very different needs. Proof can also be faked or the needs exaggerated in the 'proof'

2. Guests whose primary need was mobility based were always specifically excluded from DAS since it started in 2013. There are guests who have mobility needs in addition to other conditions that prevent them from waiting in line.

Europe has different laws and has ways with identifying disabled people/dealing with disabilities than the US. In general, people with disabilities can't be required to prove their disability per the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) in order to get accommodations for their needs. There are different parts of the ADA and laws dealing with accommodations in schools and workplaces that can require proof
I know I said that I was out of here but everyone saying that they wished a doctor’s note was required is bothering me. I do not agree with that at all. The only thing a doctor’s note will do is give a diagnosis or say that accommodations are needed. A couple of issues is 1) People can have the same diagnosis but have very different needs. 2) They can’t specify to a business what those accommodations are. If you take the need for accommodations at face value, rider swap and return to the line are valid accommodations. 3) It does nothing but create a situation where people can argue or make for disappointment. People can then get frustrated when offered accommodations such as rider swap or return to the line, “their doctor said they needed accommodations” which they take as DAS. 4) Yes, Universal utilizes a company where one has to provide proof of disability. That is all it does, provides proof. One still needs to talk with Universal to explain what accommodations are needed.
I agree with your points.
The company that Universal is using is accepting many different things; many are just listing a diagnosis and some of the 'proofs', like Handicapped Parking permit or National Park Access pass don't prove anything about the person's needs or concerns with waiting in lines.

None of that proves abuse. In theory reducing DAS to only those with developmental disabilites should reduce the number of people in the LL, but only time will tell. They could just go and sell the extra space they made as more Genie+ slots.

Rider Switch on the WDW page still only talks about using it for someone who is not riding. It does currently seem like an accommodation for someone who wants to ride. Not sure if the DL page is different. I don't see return to line mentioned at all.
I didn't say those things proved abuse - you asked what specifically Disney had said that possibly indicated overuse, and I told you.

And yes, the WDW and DLR pages do say different things, and changes have been made to the pages since the initial announcement. I was simply answering your question about what Disney has said.

I have noticed some people claiming there is no DAS abuse.

I know anecdote is not data, but my sister falsely claimed DAS for the past few years for her family of five for her two week break.

She has been trying to talk me into doing it by telling me how easy it is. She learned about it from someone from work.

I took great pleasure in smugly telling her they were locking it down. She is going to try anyway for this summer, will be interesting to see if she can still get it!

I haven't seen many people claiming there is no abuse - cause there most definitely is with people that see DAS as a 'cool Disney back' like your sister instead of an accomodation that helps people navigate the parks when they wouldn't be able to do so otherwise. I wish I could say there wasn't abuse surrounding it - but there most certainly is and it is outright horrible.

I think it is moreso the fear that certain proposed crackdowns [such as Misfit's idea that anyone without minor children should wait alone] or even the idea of some current changes going through affecting those that need it.

It sucks majorly, because it is a delicate balance between wanting everyone who needs it to get it - without letting such cheats through. I'd rather have a few cheats slip through the cracks rather than have those who need it don't get it.

I registered this morning. I only waited about 5 minutes which was nice. Today was 30 days from the start of my trip, so my entire trip is after the changes. They also told me that I will have it for the entire length of my trip even though only the first day is currently within 30 days. My condition is one that I think will be addressed with alternative accommodations after the change. They did allow me to prebook some attractions. They did not mention the 10 minute rule, but I did not ask about it either.
Just to further clarify, because there’s been some confusion on this very point: did they specify that the current accommodation - DAS - will be your accommodation for the length of your trip since you registered before May 20? You won’t possibly need to switch to whatever alternative accommodation they bring in by the time of your trip? I’m not singling you out a all, other than that yours is one of the first situations we’ve seen here that could straddle old and new rules and I think we’re all a little perplexed about how that’s going to roll out!

~~~

I’m assuming Acup313 WILL receive DAS accommodations on their trip, which means… there will be potentially be overlap in the parks after May 20, right? Guests who pre-registered with X need before May 20 who receive DAS as the accommodation, and also guests with X need who register after May 20 who receive an alternative accommodation? Oy. I’m feeling for the CMs if this is the case!

It sucks majorly, because it is a delicate balance between wanting everyone who needs it to get it - without letting such cheats through. I'd rather have a few cheats slip through the cracks rather than have those who need it don't get it.
There's another delicate balance as well though aside from the cheaters/abusers...ensuring that people who truly need it get it, while weeding out those who want it because that's all they've ever used but for whom a different accommodation would still make visiting the parks possible, albeit perhaps not easier.

Just to further clarify, because there’s been some confusion on this very point: did they specify that the current accommodation - DAS - will be your accommodation for the length of your trip since you registered before May 20? You won’t possibly need to switch to whatever alternative accommodation they bring in by the time of your trip? I’m not singling you out a all, other than that yours is one of the first situations we’ve seen here that could straddle old and new rules and I think we’re all a little perplexed about how that’s going to roll out!

~~~

I’m assuming Acup313 WILL receive DAS accommodations on their trip, which means… there will be potentially be overlap in the parks after May 20, right? Guests who pre-registered with X need before May 20 who receive DAS as the accommodation, and also guests with X need who register after May 20 who receive an alternative accommodation? Oy. I’m feeling for the CMs if this is the case!
They were not specific but the way I took it was that I would have DAS the entire trip.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone here say there is “no DAS abuse.” I and some others have questioned just how much any increased usage is attributable to an increase in abuse vs. an increase in people with legitimate needs, as well as whether these changes are really going to make a measurable difference, and just what kind of difference it is Disney is chasing. I’m trying to let go of my desire to know, though, because the only thing I might actually be able to learn is whether or not I see a marked decrease in wait times. :rotfl: Oh, to be able to get into WDW’s data for a look!

There's another delicate balance as well though aside from the cheaters/abusers...ensuring that people who truly need it get it, while weeding out those who want it because that's all they've ever used but for whom a different accommodation would still make visiting the parks possible, albeit perhaps not easier.

Very true! But we'll see how Disney handles it. The actual reality is every individual's needs are different [no two cases for developmental diagnoses alone will be the same] and will have to be put forward and hopefully Disney is able to make that distinction between what is best.

~~~

I suspect there will be overlap. Otherwise guests in the parks on like May 21 would have to re-register, a potential mess since Guest Relations will only be able to assist by saying “there is the iPad”. Can you imagine every DAS user in the parks trying to re-register morning of 5/21? That would be ridiculous.

This is getting so out of hand.

Everyone should just stop guessing how it will work AND asking "but we are a a party 2, how does Disney intend for X to work for us? It makes no sense!" We don't know, no one knows, you won't get an answer until it's time for your trip and you call Disney and see what they say. Asking and bringing up repeatedly like clockwork how X won't work for you isn't helping, and it's just opening the door for more speculation even thought the mods have asked repeatedly that it stops.

The last 10 pages have been like a dejavu of the same conversation over over again interlaced with confused people trying to find actual facts.

So facts:
  • Disney has explicitly stated that DAS use has tripled in the last few years. It doesn't matter if it's because of abuse, overuse or there's simply lots of more folks with disabilities going to Disney Parks. Disney has said the program as it is unsustainable. We don't need the numbers. Disney has the numbers. This is a problem. This is a fact.
  • Disney is taking steps to fix it. Such as:
    • Limiting DAS to certain needs. Specific wording implies it's intended for developmental disabilities. Nowhere does it say it's limited to those.
    • 10 minute wait after tapping for booking your next DAS.
    • Limiting a DAS party to 4 guests, including the DAS user.
    • Moving guests with certain needs to different accommodations instead of having DAS as a one-fits-all. Some of the accommodations mentioned by Disney are Rider Switch and a Return-to-Line Pass. We don't know how this will work yet in the context of guests with disabilities.
  • New rules start May 20th at WDW and June 18th at DLR.
----

Please I am begging everyone to stop guessing (we are all trying to help, I get that, but we aren't helping anymore), stop asking how it will work (no one but Disney knows) and stop stating how anything other than DAS won't work for your specific party because X or Y and Z. It's not helping anyone, it's creating more anxiety, it's confusing people, it's giving information to abusers on what to say, AND it's making important information like first hand accounts of guests who have applied get lost.

I am not trying to be insensitive, it's understandable to be scared, but at some point we all need to take a breath and wait for actual information to come instead of talking around in circles and hoping to get an answer that doesn't exist yet.

And if your trip is in July or later, dear gods stop emailing and calling Disney for clarification and making it harder for guests with immediate trips to call them. Even if you get thru and ask they might not even have the information ready and whatever they say might not apply after the new rules come into effect.

Last edited:
This is getting so out of hand.

Everyone should just stop guessing how it will work AND asking "but we are a a party 2, how does Disney intend for X to work for us? It makes no sense!" We don't know, no one knows, you won't get an answer until it's time for your trip and you call Disney and see what they say. Asking and bringing up repeatedly like clockwork how X won't work for you isn't helping, and it's just opening the door for more speculation even thought the mods have asked repeatedly that it stops.

The last 10 pages have been like a dejavu of the same conversation over over again interlaced with confused people trying to find actual facts.

So facts:
  • Disney has explicitly stated that DAS use has tripled in the last few years. It doesn't matter if it's because of abuse, overuse or there's simply lots of more folks with disabilities going to Disney Parks. Disney has said the program as it is unsustainable. We don't need the numbers. Disney has the numbers. This is a problem. This is a fact.
  • Disney is taking steps to fix it. Such as:
    • Limiting DAS to certain needs. Specific wording implies it's intended for developmental disabilities. Nowhere does it say it's limited to those.
    • New rules start May 20th at WDW and June 18th at DLR.
    • 10 minute wait after tapping for booking your next DAS.
    • Limiting a DAS party to 4 guests, including the DAS user.
    • Moving guests with certain needs to different accommodations instead of having DAS as a one-fits-all. Some of the accommodations mentioned by Disney are Rider Switch and a Return-to-Line Pass. We don't know how this will work yet in the context of guests with disabilities.
----

Please I am begging everyone to stop guessing (we are all trying to help, I get that, but we aren't helping anymore), stop asking how it will work (no one but Disney knows) and stop stating how anything other than DAS won't work for your specific party because X or Y and Z. It's not helping anyone, it's creating more anxiety, it's confusing people, it's giving information to abusers on what to say, AND it's making important information like first hand accounts of guests who have applied get lost.

I am not trying to be insensitive, it's understandable to be scared, but at some point we all need to take a breath and wait for actual information to come instead of talking around in circles and hoping to get an answer that doesn't exist yet.

And if your trip is in July or later, dear gods stop emailing and calling Disney for clarification and making it harder for guests with immediate trips to call them. Even if you get thru and ask they might not even have the information ready and whatever they say might not apply after the new rules come into effect.
I agree... it may be that the term "DAS" becomes a set of different accomodations to help different needs - maybe the Term "DAS" could stand for "Disability Accomodation System")... OK I'll stop irrating people. 😉

So facts:
Can you put in a link or point me in the direction of where Disney said this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter