Any success in growing herbs indoors?

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
Last year I bought a strawberry jar type herb garden kit. Only the parsley and basil did OK, not great, but I did have fresh basil for awhile. I would like to do better this year. Do you have any recommendations for growing herbs indoors? Type of pot? Under lights? In a window? What are some good ones to grow?

Bobbi:flower3:

I have found that growing herbs indoors is difficult at best--especially if I try to do it inside those little tiny pots that come in "herb garden" kits. I have done better with medium-size 2-quart pots, but the low light and dry indoors air during the winter make it difficult at best.

Outside I grow chives, parsley, rosemary and bay all winter (we live in Pacific NW). I re-do my mint pots by the end of April and I replant sages and basils in June.

We are just remodeling our kitchen and putting in a garden or greenhouse-style window with the goal of being able to grow herbs in 2-quart size pots all year long for cooking.

-Laurie

I had a feeling that the jar was drying out too easily. How wonderful that you'll have a window to garden in! Thanks for the suggestions.

Bobbi

They are a bit expensive, but have you heard of Aerogarden? Its a little plug in unit that has UV lights and a water tray. You grow the herbs hydroponically. (You buy the seed packets from the same company and they fit into little holes above the water tray.) I haven't used it myself, but I've heard good success stories from some co-workers.

I've tried growing indoors too, and, like you, my basil flourished, but the other stuff didn't do too well. We're trying outdoor in a raised bed this year.

Good luck!

My sister got my BIL an aerogarden for Christmas. He is a fantastic cook and loves having the fresh herbs year round. It works so well and I have been admiring it. I was very surprised when DH got one for me yesterday for Mother's day!:woohoo: I just started it and can't wait for fresh herbs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter