Any tips for lining up at turnstiles?

I wanted to share my experience with lining up near the trees. I will say we've done this before, but never been first in line. We lined up at gate 19, which is in front of a tree planter. At gates 17/18 & 19/20 there was previously only one line formed. A few minutes after we arrived the first guests at gate 20 told us form only one line. I told them it's one line per turnstile and we stayed. Guests several groups back at 17/18 overheard us and moved in front of gate 18 making a second line for their gate. BUT they told us how horrible we are and what a bad example we are for our children because they had been there an hour (don't believe that as we were in line about 7:10 and they were about 5 groups back in their line). They talked about us like we weren't there and we ignored them. About 20 minutes passed and CM began coming to the gates to prepare to open. The group in line 18, who were not even affected by us since they were not at the same gate, told a CM we cut in front of everyone. We explained what happened and the CM asked the group at the front of 20 a question. Ultimately the CM let us stay and only asked that we let the group at the front of row 20 go in front of us. Not sure why as they were first. The group at gate 18 told us again how horrible we were and such bad influences for our kids who don't stand a chance as they continued to stand first in line at gate 18. It was not a fun start to our first day.

ETA that was Sunday morning. Also people did line up behind us and the group directly behind us agreed you line up under a number not just wherever a group is.

Last edited:
So they didn't know the rules and decided it was your fault because you did? LOL. My sympathies, though, that does not sound like fun.

Just to be clear, this Gate 13 trick is specifically DLP, not DCA, and it's after security, correct?

Do they normally let everyone through security before regular opening, so that those who qualify for early admission can go in while those who don't hang out in front of the unopened gates?

Just to be clear, this Gate 13 trick is specifically DLP, not DCA, and it's after security, correct?

Do they normally let everyone through security before regular opening, so that those who qualify for early admission can go in while those who don't hang out in front of the unopened gates?
Yes, there are no planter lines at DCA, so no particular line is a better bet.

Security is a totally different thing. You're already through it by the time you get to the actual park entry lines.

Last edited:

I'm sorry! They sound like mean, petty, jealous people.
The weird thing to me was that they moved to the front of the empty 18 from their place further back in line when they heard me say line up by turnstile not gate, but continued to say what I did was wrong.

So...do those of you who use gate 13 tip line up with the formed line in hopes that it will split or go to the turnstile with no line and start your own? Do both gates most always open? are 14 and 20 the line where people usually line up and 13 and 19 the "unknown" lines?

The single lines usually choke off access to these magical empty turnstiles making it a chore to access without it looking like you're cutting in line. Also, I think most people in the single line assume it will spread to the two turnstiles once the gate is opened. There is so little space between the gate and planter forming a separate line is awkward, especially after lines have already formed. We looked into it once and there was no way to gain access without the possibility of enduring what the family above experienced. Based on the comments made in the original post, I would not recommend this method to them.

It's really a gamble which line you choose. We ended up in a longish line last week and were through it very quickly. Quicker than the lines around us and the lady working it was no spring chicken either. She was fast with the picture / name writing routine.

Regarding the wait for PP and entering the park at a leisurely pace, you need to pick your priority. Short waits for PP only happen at rope drop and when it opens after fireworks. If you're not willing to get there early and walk with purpose once in the park, expect a 30-40 minute wait.

Regarding the wait for PP and entering the park at a leisurely pace, you need to pick your priority. Short waits for PP only happen at rope drop and when it opens after fireworks. If you're not willing to get there early and walk with purpose once in the park, expect a 30-40 minute wait.

hahahahaha "walk with purpose"...excellent euphemism for what goes on :)

So...do those of you who use gate 13 tip line up with the formed line in hopes that it will split or go to the turnstile with no line and start your own? Do both gates most always open? are 14 and 20 the line where people usually line up and 13 and 19 the "unknown" lines?
Once the lines are formed it's hard to get to the "unknown" lines because the planters are so close and there isn't enough room to wrap around them, but if you line up at one of the lines adjacent to them they move much quicker as the line splits into two turnstiles.

Regarding "walking with a purpose" to Peter Pan, on our first or second trip to DL, I had used Ridemax to plan out our day to the minute. I knew that if we weren't among the first few onto Peter Pan, it would throw the whole schedule off. So we were fast walking (almost running), and my kids were near tears, wondering why we had to run. Then I got upset because all my planning was going to be for naught. It just wasn't enjoyable, and wasn't worth it, for us. On a later trip, we went to Peter Pan during a Magic Morning, walked at a normal pace, and probably had a 20 minute wait. As my husband reasoned, it would probably never get any shorter during the day, so why not just wait in line for it if we wanted to do it. I still plan for trips, but not as rigidly, and we have a lot more fun, even if we have wait in longer lines (although we still really don't).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter