Any word on how Castaway Cay is doing?

I have no idea how they will staff the island with the locals having lost family members and homes.

The island CMs largely come off the ship. I don’t believe locals have any positions other than as vendors - shops or offering excursions. The ships can certainly port as long as the channel is clear (sounds like it is if the Dream got close as a PP says) and the pier is safe/repaired. Excursions get canceled all the time so won’t necessarily dictate the ship’s ability to port. In fact, I suspect the locals who do have employment opportunity on CC will want/need the income assuming they are able to still offer their service(s).

The island CMs largely come off the ship. I don’t believe locals have any positions other than as vendors - shops or offering excursions. The ships can certainly port as long as the channel is clear (sounds like it is if the Dream got close as a PP says) and the pier is safe/repaired. Excursions get canceled all the time so won’t necessarily dictate the ship’s ability to port. In fact, I suspect the locals who do have employment opportunity on CC will want/need the income assuming they are able to still offer their service(s).

Exactly what I was going to say. Locals only do most of the excursions (I think it is Disney people who do the stingrays, but I avoid those so I am not sure) and the Bahamian goods shops. (Ok, and the post office if it is truly ever open.) And yeah, only once have I seen the excursion board with no cancellations on it.

Are they going to another port instead or just making it a sea day?

Unfortunately just another sea day. Very disappointing to say the least. They could of done another Port but it’s unlike Disney to want to spend money to do that. Another Grand Cayman would be nice!

Unfortunately just another sea day. Very disappointing to say the least. They could of done another Port but it’s unlike Disney to want to spend money to do that. Another Grand Cayman would be nice!

Ports have limited numbers of places for ships. In Grand Cayman’s case there is a limited number of boats that can be used for tendering.It is not just as easy as “We want to come” on a last-minute notice. This is one case where it is most definitely NOT about the money.

Ports have limited numbers of places for ships. In Grand Cayman’s case there is a limited number of boats that can be used for tendering.It is not just as easy as “We want to come” on a last-minute notice. This is one case where it is most definitely NOT about the money.
I do know the Dream was there the day before as a last minute thing since that’s what our tour guide mentioned. I’m not saying grand Cayman specifically but Disney could of planned it better. My last job was as a travel agent dealing mostly with luxury cruise and it’s been handled better. They obviously saw this coming but did nothing for a plan B.

I do know the Dream was there the day before as a last minute thing since that’s what our tour guide mentioned. I’m not saying grand Cayman specifically but Disney could of planned it better. My last job was as a travel agent dealing mostly with luxury cruise and it’s been handled better. They obviously saw this coming but did nothing for a plan B.
Agreed! It is one thing if they try to dock and can’t due to weather or waves or something. It is something completely different if you are going in knowing you won’t be able to stop there. Replace that stop with somewhere else if possible. Do you at least get an on board credit since you are technically missing a port?

Agreed! It is one thing if they try to dock and can’t due to weather or waves or something. It is something completely different if you are going in knowing you won’t be able to stop there. Replace that stop with somewhere else if possible. Do you at least get an on board credit since you are technically missing a port?

Nothing has been mentioned as of right now. It’s pirate night so a most people are enjoying the night awaiting the show and fireworks. I would assume the day that we are to be on castaway people will be irritated, since we will be docked near castaway on Friday.

The nice lady who rented the bikes out to us last Friday is from Abaco and commutes there. She has been in my thoughts all week.

Nothing has been mentioned as of right now. It’s pirate night so a most people are enjoying the night awaiting the show and fireworks. I would assume the day that we are to be on castaway people will be irritated, since we will be docked near castaway on Friday.
Perhaps since you’ve been at sea, you aren’t aware of how destructive the hurricane was to Abaco and Grand Bahama. It’s like a tornado sat over the islands for hours. The damage and human suffering is horrific and the number of lives lost remains to be seen. I would hope that people onboard will remember why it is they’re not at Castaway Cay and feel grateful for what they have and not irritated over missing a single port stop.

The $$$ credited to your account when you miss a port is actually a refund of port fees. Does DCL charge passengers a port fee for using the Mouse's private island?

I don't know where else the ship could visit that isn't more damaged than Castaway Cay. Unless it's somewhere in Florida. yawn.

More than likely they are not choosing another port because they will be providing supplies to Castaway Cay and help for other islands.

That was also arranged about a week out. Not last minute.

They do have a plan B - they do a sea day and the cruise staff will have lots of activities.

If you were really a travel agent, you would know that the cruise contract does not guarantee any ports.

That's assuming everyone wants another port day. Plenty of people, my family included, enjoy sea days and all of the activities offered. I'm sure many cruisers see an extra sea day as "handling it better" than adding or repeating a port.

We leave for the 7 Day Eastern this Saturday. I'm almost positive we won't be stopping at CC so I'm curious to see if they will replace it with another port, since there is a full week to plan. I will let you all know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter