Anybody have any ideas as to when Splash will close?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree that HM and the existing NO Square fit perfectly with P&tF and you could also easily re-theme the HB Restaurant, but what about Pooh? Seems like that ride will be REALLY out of place once the re-theme is done.

Yeah, Critter Country would not be left with much in that case. Winnie the Pooh might just have to be changed too. Maybe they could figure out a way to make a mini-land out of it.

Totally. I think it’ll be a while off yet, but people seem to think (or perhaps hope?) it isn’t happening at all. I don’t think it’ll be scrapped.
I agree, it's going to happen. The theming of Splash has been an issue in the background that got a lot of scrutiny in the current climate. Disney knew it was an issue, that's why they had already been creating plans to re-theme it.

I agree, it's going to happen. The theming of Splash has been an issue in the background that got a lot of scrutiny in the current climate. Disney knew it was an issue, that's why they had already been creating plans to re-theme it.

Disney has plans fo retheme and redo literally every attraction.

I would imagine that the re-theming is at the very bottom of the schedule with 3 new rides, the space hotel and the new restaurant that need to be completed.

I would imagine that the re-theming is at the very bottom of the schedule with 3 new rides, the space hotel and the new restaurant that need to be completed.
The restaurant is basically completed, they are either waiting on a piece of glass, or that has been installed and they’re just waiting to open until more guests are in the park. Rat is basically done. Guardians is very close to completion. Tron doesn’t have much left either. The SW hotel is progressing nicely. None of those would have any effect on the retheme of Splash. Money would have an effect, but Josh has made it clear that this is a priority for them and they will get this done within a few years.

Disney has plans fo retheme and redo literally every attraction.
While this is probably pretty close to true, they haven’t announced that any other attraction is morally bankrupt and that they’re going to fix it. It’s a pretty big thing to go back on.

The restaurant is basically completed, they are either waiting on a piece of glass, or that has been installed and they’re just waiting to open until more guests are in the park.
I understand that the massive, expensive, long lead time custom glass piece that broke the first time they tried to install it was successfully installed the second time. I want to say it was Jim Hill who said that but at this point I can’t recall for sure.

While this is probably pretty close to true, they haven’t announced that any other attraction is morally bankrupt and that they’re going to fix it. It’s a pretty big thing to go back on.
I'm going to go on record and say that Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros is every bit as problematic, if not more so (on Disney+, see for yourself) - BUT, you are right - Disney has not publicly announced any plans to change the ride <cough> COCO </cough>.

Guess you haven't seen it. This is a KIDS movie;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_CaballerosDonald just basically spends most of the movie chasing women around. I mean, if he was a soldier returning from WW2 then maybe, but a bit on the exploitative side for a kids movie IMHO. My DD15 LOVES Donald Duck, but even she was out when it came to the "love drunk" scene.

It's not exactly most of the movie, but the beach scene is definitely eyebrow-raising today. It is played off as kind of silly though. I disagree that is as offensive as the movie Splash Mountain is based on, and the Three Caballeros have been in many other things.

Also, it's not really a "kids movie" - those animated films of the time were made for all ages, but were not necessarily for kids only. The aim of these in particular was to show Latin American culture to a wide audience after Walt's goodwill trip down there.

It's not exactly most of the movie, but the beach scene is definitely eyebrow-raising today. It is played off as kind of silly though. I disagree that is as offensive as the movie Splash Mountain is based on, and the Three Caballeros have been in many other things.

Also, it's not really a "kids movie" - those animated films of the time were made for all ages, but were not necessarily for kids only. The aim of these in particular was to show Latin American culture to a wide audience after Walt's goodwill trip down there.
Well, OK, but Walt didn't set out to make an offensive movie with SotS either. Times change - as do societal norms.

Guess you haven't seen it. This is a KIDS movie;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_CaballerosDonald just basically spends most of the movie chasing women around. I mean, if he was a soldier returning from WW2 then maybe, but a bit on the exploitative side for a kids movie IMHO. My DD15 LOVES Donald Duck, but even she was out when it came to the "love drunk" scene.

Are you seriously comparing Donald Duck "chasing women" to blatant racism?

Well, OK, but Walt didn't set out to make an offensive movie with SotS either. Times change - as do societal norms.

Oh, certainly. Times do change, which is why sometimes these rides change too. I just don't think The Three Caballeros is quite in the same category - at least not yet. Maybe that will change someday too.

I'm going to go on record and say that Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros is every bit as problematic, if not more so (on Disney+, see for yourself) - BUT, you are right - Disney has not publicly announced any plans to change the ride <cough> COCO </cough>.
Coco would be such a better match for the Mexico pavilion anyway. I've been crossing my fingers for a retheme ever since the movie came out. I never cared much for 3Cs taking over from the older version of the ride (as a kid I called it "Mexican Small World"!), although I know the original clips are pretty dated.

That’s not true. While imagineering did see layoffs, there are still imagineers employed by Disney, including the incredible Charita Carter who is leading this project.

Not to mention, 2 weeks ago Josh D’Amaro mentioned in IAAPA keynote that they are forging ahead and speeding up moving forward with the retheme. He literally addressed this 2 weeks ago.

Ah yes the corporate spokesmodel trying to pave the way for favorable treatment by 'influencers'

I pay no attention to titles its how much DIRECT spending authority do they have.

Frequently in corporate America you have impressive titles like VP of Global Customer service, In reality the guy can't approve a invoice above $500 bucks. In the same company you will have some guy with the title 'Financial Analyst' with spending authority in the millions that guy has POWER just not the outward trappings.

As for this one I'd be surprised if it happens, The social media types have the attention span of a gnat, I'm not surprised Disney is still saying it will happen because that keeps the media sharks at bay.

As to imagineers the last real one was Joe, Yeah there may be a few with the title to be brought out at dog and pony shows.

As to 'real' imagineers with top level skillsets in multiple domains those people are extinct at Disney,

Show me a CURRENT 'Imagineer" who has multidimensional on the order of Tony Baxter who in addition to coming up with the concept of Soarin' also did the PoC of the mechanics of Soarin' as well.
That said as Disney devolves into screen based rides perhaps those multidimensional skills are no longer needed, Just the ability to make something look good on a screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter