Anyone else notice how much pet costs have risen?

I have definitely noticed the price of food going up. I buy a higher end food, and I used to be able to get it on sale, or at least a deal where you get a break if you buy a lot of cans. It seems like the store doesn't offer nearly as many good deals or coupons anymore. It's not necessarily a problem, but it is noticeable for sure.

I have three dogs, two of which are on a prescription diet. The canned food for my Yorkie is over $4.00 a can.
As to medical care, I am so glad that I bought insurance through Trupanion when they were puppies. I highly recommend it. I have had a few very high vet bills and they have come through for me every time.

I've seen prices going up, but also availability going down. I just bought several bags of cat food yesterday because Chewy finally had it in stock again. It's really aggravating, because most cats can't just switch foods overnight without it affecting their digestive system. I was just about to pull them off the food and start transitioning them, when it popped back up as in stock.

I've seen prices going up, but also availability going down. I just bought several bags of cat food yesterday because Chewy finally had it in stock again. It's really aggravating, because most cats can't just switch foods overnight without it affecting their digestive system. I was just about to pull them off the food and start transitioning them, when it popped back up as in stock.

Yes, I have recently had toruble finding the food I use and have had to go to stores I would not normally go to on ocassion. My cat eats various flavors of wet food (same brand) but only one kind of dry. Believe me, I do not want to deal with switching her! You know how cats can be....

Shelters are overflowing and euthanizations are up again due to space constraints.
😢 That is so sad.

And yes, I have noticed costs going up...and stock going down. Mine are on kidney-care food from the vet. It seems like the cans take turns being out of stock (I'm lucky they like a couple of different ones) but right now the only prescription kibble they like is out as well. I'm rationing the last bit I have mixed in with the other brand.

I buy their same food from Chewy, but take advantage of every spend $100 get a $30 gift card I can. Those prices are up. My cats are inside cats so I don't take them to the vet that often really. They are young. They have never gotten out and have never shown any interest in going out. We do the best we can for them, but prices are definitely going up.

i just looked at my chewy order history to compare what i paid one year ago vs. recently-cat litter has gone up about $1 per pail, dry food went down 10 cents, wet food (case of 24) went up over $3 (i wish friskies sold just cans of the gravy b/c they suck it out of the bowl and leave the shredded meat behind!).

Yes, I have recently had toruble finding the food I use and have had to go to stores I would not normally go to on ocassion. My cat eats various flavors of wet food (same brand) but only one kind of dry. Believe me, I do not want to deal with switching her! You know how cats can be....
My dogs are the opposite. They don't want to eat the same thing all the time and will snub their food if they find it boring, which stinks when it's way cheaper to buy the giant bag of kibble. It's a little easier when it comes to the canned food, as I can buy what's on sale from week to week to get some variety.

My dogs are the opposite. They don't want to eat the same thing all the time and will snub their food if they find it boring, which stinks when it's way cheaper to buy the giant bag of kibble. It's a little easier when it comes to the canned food, as I can buy what's on sale from week to week to get some variety.

And here most dogs I know will literally eat anything that you put down, even things that you didn't intend to! 🤣 That is, except my mom's dog - she's so spoiled, you could literally give her a peice of actual bacon and she might just walk away from it because it's not steak! She also might walk away from the steak. I will tell you though, if you want to live the good life, get reincarnated as a pet at my mom's house!

And here most dogs I know will literally eat anything that you put down, even things that you didn't intend to! 🤣 That is, except my mom's dog - she's so spoiled, you could literally give her a peice of actual bacon and she might just walk away from it because it's not steak! She also might walk away from the steak. I will tell you though, if you want to live the good life, get reincarnated as a pet at my mom's house!
Leota is especially picky. I make them scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese on Sunday mornings and sometimes she'll snub that for hours. She has turned down potato chips. Pizza crusts are more like a punishment than a treat. She's ridiculous.

Leota is especially picky. I make them scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese on Sunday mornings and sometimes she'll snub that for hours. She has turned down potato chips. Pizza crusts are more like a punishment than a treat. She's ridiculous.

Ha ha, yeah, sounds about right. My mom would give her dog anything she wanted, and half the time the dog doesnt even care. There is one thing that she will never turn her nose up at though and that is cat poop! Man, dogs....

Last edited:
I feel you on this! The only way to buy our dogs' canned food by the case (which is less expensive) is in the same flavor. One of our dogs got sick of the lamb flavor and started gagging on his food. He's so dramatic! So, now I buy individual cans and rotate them.

Yes, vet costs are crazy. I think back to the early 90s. I had very little discretionary income, two little kids, and a brand new house. I had three dogs with one of them being geriatric. I somehow managed to keep up with all of their expenses, regular and extra trips to the vet, whatever food they needed. Granted, it was an added expense but I did it. Now, with much more discretionary income I can still well afford it but I am SHOCKED when I walk out of the vet. I can easily see how someone of much more modest means cannot afford it. It's a shame because I see the same thing--dogs being sent back to the shelter because the owners could no longer financially swing it.

I know prices just naturally go up, but vets have also been taken over (just like human medical practices) by corporations and there have been significant increases in routine vet visits and services.

So I remember probably back in 2013 I was having my dog's teeth cleaned. The cost was $500. When I picked my dog up they said "Oh we did her nails while she was under and we used the Dremel--just something we do as it's easy to have the tech do it and takes only a few minutes." No charge.

Last summer I had my 5 year old dog's teeth cleaned ($1100 now 10 years later). They asked via a consent form if I wanted to have nails done while under. I said yes. No mention of a fee but I guess I should have assumed. I was charged $62 for the Dremel nail service. Holy cow. Now this is a different bet but I'm sure they all do this now.

My daughter feeds a feral colony of cats the live in the parking lot of her work. A 20 pound bag of kibble that was $11 two years ago is $25 today.

No question its gone up.

Things the vet did for free in the past are now a charge - on top of all the other charges that have also gone up.

Pet food - also gone up AND sometimes you cant get it. (Dog and cats are picky so they only eat certain ones :( )

Many times its cheaper to go to Amazon and sometimes they have subscribe and save deals for your first purchase - you can always cancel after the first delivery.

Also keep an eye out for deals on CC - for example Amex had a 15 off 50 at Walmart and you could use it twice.
Petco and petsmart send coupons at various times as well - I always check retailmenot for coupons.

When there is a deal we stock up - like sometimes the supermarket has it on clearance and we we buy as much as we can store and use before it will go off.

Honestly - buying boneless chicken breast (when its on special) and boiling it and making your own treats and food additives can be cheaper (and probably better) that the pre packaged foods. Not sure what else she puts in it - I just know it always annoys me that the dog is getting chicken.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter