Anyone started Christmas shopping yet? What, Where and for who?

DS is buying a house and closing is November 1. He was texting about furniture he's looking at. DH and I decided to pay for part of that for his birthday later this month and Christmas. So...yes, I've started shopping.

We went to Bass Pro Shops yesterday, and decided to go back in a month and get everyone on our list a gift there- really doable, and one fun day of shopping. Then we will only need to get a couple of more things elsewhere for our son.

I could use some ideas for my 14 year old son. He just had his birthday, and didn't ask for a thing. We got him some Beats headphones, ITunes gift card, a magnetic dart thing for the playroom.... He has a good Macbook, and iPad and phone, no longer into Lego- doesn't care about clothes....Help?!

Last edited:
I'm just starting to think about it.

I did get an Alex and Ani bracelet for each of my daughters. And a 1/4 zip pullover for my son.

And I'll repeat a gift I got my daughter when she was young. The 4 year old across the street spent the whole summer scouring her backyard for cool rocks. So I went to Geology.com and ordered a pound of tumbled rocks for a total of $20 including shipping. (I got "large"-- XL probably would have been better.) I'll choose the most colorful and put them into an embroidery thread case from Michaels. It's different, but my daughter LOVED it when she was about the same age.

That's so funny about the rocks! My younger DD, now 13, used to be super into rocks, too. She actually had her "rock purse" that she would carry everywhere--it was this ugly old fuzzy pink purse that her older sister no longer wanted. NOw she's in Earth Science, and she still loves all things related to rocks.

Finally started christmas shopping this week. DD (4) has asked for a Baby So real and a Hatchimal, so I ordered those and a couple of board games she has asked for. She won't be getting a ton this year, because she has too much already and we are probably moving next year and I don't want to drag a bunch of stuff with me. I'll probably put a barbie doll in her stocking and maybe a few books and small toys and that will be it.

I have no idea what to get anyone else. Adults are so difficult to shop for. I barely see my parents so I have no idea what they want or need. DH's dad just moved into a tiny apartment so he doesn't have room for much. MIL is building a house so I don't want to burden her with stuff to move. Figuring out what to buy the adults in my life is the most stressful part of christmas!

I feel the same about shopping for adults. So much so that I would love to ask them to stop buying gifts so I can also stop. We just don't need anything.

I bought another gift last night. Vera Bradley has 25% off and free shipping. I bought dd10 a purple purse.

I just ordered my ds 2 basketball jerseys. Fanatics has a $25 off $50 promo if you use Visa checkout (you do not need a Visa card). I will give him one for his upcoming birthday and save the other for Christmas.

DD (4) has asked for a Baby So real and a Hatchimal, so I ordered those and a couple of board games she has asked for.

We bought 2 hatchimals for our DS(4) and DD(8) this weekend as well and now have to move them in a couple weeks. Rumor is they might get tough to get and we didn't want to take any chances.

FYI: Anyone buying for teenage girls:
The Alex and Ani site has a special-- spend $75 and you get a free $28 bracelet and free shipping. I just took care of my 4 nieces for about $91.

DS is buying a house and closing is November 1. He was texting about furniture he's looking at. DH and I decided to pay for part of that for his birthday later this month and Christmas. So...yes, I've started shopping.

My parents did this and it's great! Just a tip, I really wish my parents had given us the receipt. It wasn't like we didn't know how much it had cost anyway, but when we needed a part replaced after a while, it was a big pain. So just in case he has warranty issues or anything, make sure he has a copy of the receipt! It will be a GREAT gift that will go a long way.

We went to Bass Pro Shops yesterday, and decided to go back in a month and get everyone on our list a gift there- really doable, and one fun day of shopping. Then we will only need to get a couple of more things elsewhere for our son.

I could use some ideas for my 14 year old son. He just had his birthday, and didn't ask for a thing. We got him some Beats headphones, ITunes gift card, a magnetic dart thing for the playroom.... He has a good Macbook, and iPad and phone, no longer into Lego- doesn't care about clothes....Help?!

An experience gift? Do you have a local professional sports team? Are you an outdoorsy family?

We bought 2 hatchimals for our DS(4) and DD(8) this weekend as well and now have to move them in a couple weeks. Rumor is they might get tough to get and we didn't want to take any chances.

Saw them on sale at target. What are they exactly?

I went to the Vera Bradley outlet today and bought my co-workers a zip ID case. The store was 50% off plus an additional 20%, and I used my military discount of 10%. I paid $4.32 for each case! :thumbsup2

I just ordered my ds 2 basketball jerseys. Fanatics has a $25 off $50 promo if you use Visa checkout (you do not need a Visa card). I will give him one for his upcoming birthday and save the other for Christmas.

Thanks for much for this post! My DS wanted a baseball jersey with his favorite player on it. I hadn't been able to find it anywhere. But they had it here and the price was amazing as he fits into a youth xl! One item off his Christmas wish list done and I'm excited!!!

I have no idea what to get anyone else. Adults are so difficult to shop for. I barely see my parents so I have no idea what they want or need. DH's dad just moved into a tiny apartment so he doesn't have room for much. MIL is building a house so I don't want to burden her with stuff to move. Figuring out what to buy the adults in my life is the most stressful part of christmas!

This past Christmas my sister got my mom a Roku that she connected to my Amazon Prime account and her Netflix account. It's really easy to use and takes up almost no space. My mom loves it. This fall my mom is having surgery so I got her a Kindle as an early Christmas present. I plan to give it to her before she goes to the hospital. My parents don't have much space and have most of what they need so I usually get them subscriptions, consumable and/or gift cards. Some popular gifts I've gotten are: Audible subscription and good headphones (assuming the person has a way to stream or download Audible books), magazine/newspaper subscription, hot sauce of the month club, Blue Apron type subscription, dry rubs or marinades, Graze subscription (fancy snacks), and meal kits. My parents are on a fixed budget so I will often get my mom a gift card to Sprouts or Whole Foods so she can splurge on nice toiletries or fancy food. They also get coupons in snail mail and email from some restaurants they like so I'll get them gift cards for them.

For your MIL I would recommend a gift card to a shop where she could get something special for her new home. Recently a friend of mine built a home. As a house warming gift I got her a door knocker from Michael Healy. She loved it. It helped though that I knew her style really well and had watched her design her home.

My parents did this and it's great! Just a tip, I really wish my parents had given us the receipt. It wasn't like we didn't know how much it had cost anyway, but when we needed a part replaced after a while, it was a big pain. So just in case he has warranty issues or anything, make sure he has a copy of the receipt! It will be a GREAT gift that will go a long way.

Good idea but we are just giving him a set amount of money and letting him choose it. So no worries about any future issues. Thanks for the heads up though!

I been trying to hold off Christmas shopping till after Black Friday (when I can see if any toys my son might like are on sale) But I might just start putting a few toys on layaway. He likes this little beatdog toy. Might get him a few more toys. It's kind of hard when he's 1 and you don't know what to get them.

My mom told me to enjoy Christmas shopping now before he gets older and starts begging for expensive stuff.

I been trying to hold off Christmas shopping till after Black Friday (when I can see if any toys my son might like are on sale) But I might just start putting a few toys on layaway. He likes this little beatdog toy. Might get him a few more toys. It's kind of hard when he's 1 and you don't know what to get them.

My mom told me to enjoy Christmas shopping now before he gets older and starts begging for expensive stuff.

To combat this, when my daughter was little, I told her she only got to ask Santa for 3 things - 1 big, and 2 small. Anything else Santa brought was up to him. Of course "big" is subjective and so was completely under my control (I am "Santa Mom" after all!) - when she'd mention a gift, I would say "well, put it on your list as the BIG item" or "you should put it on your list as one of the small items". I also maintained veto power on any and all list items - told DD Santa would call or text me what he was bringing ahead of time for my approval :rolleyes1 Anything bigger than I wanted to pay for (cough cough...American Girl Treehouse...cough cough) I would just let DD know would be veto'ed for some reason (not enough space, too expensive to maintain, unsafe, etc) and so she'd take it off her list and move onto the next thing. All of that helped keep expectations under control but it never seemed to dampen the thrill of Christmas for DD.

DD is now 16, and is allowed to make a longer list, but knows that both Santa Mom and her aunts/uncles may or may not choose to get items off the list - it is just meant to be a helpful tool to let people know the kinds of things she is into. She also knows I still retain veto power over all items on her list (no, overindulgent aunt, you CANNOT buy her a car). Santa Mom still tends to bring one larger, more expensive item (think electronics), but not always - the budget varies year to year. The "big" gift this year is going to be a new smart phone, but not an iPhone or Samsung - one that is more reasonably priced ($250). DD is truly happy with whatever she gets - I think the ground work you lay in that regard when they are little is important in driving that.

Last edited:
To combat this, when my daughter was little, I told her she only got to ask Santa for 3 things - 1 big, and 2 small. Anything else Santa brought was up to him. Of course "big" is subjective and so was completely under my control (I am "Santa Mom" after all!) - when she'd mention a gift, I would say "well, put it on your list as the BIG item" or "you should put it on your list as one of the small items". I also maintained veto power on any and all list items - told DD Santa would call or text me what he was bringing ahead of time for my approval :rolleyes1 Anything bigger than I wanted to pay for (cough cough...American Girl Treehouse...cough cough) I would just let DD know would be veto'ed for some reason (not enough space, too expensive to maintain, unsafe, etc) and so she'd take it off her list and move onto the next thing. All of that helped keep expectations under control but it never seemed to dampen the thrill of Christmas for DD.

DD is now 16, and is allowed to make a longer list, but knows that both Santa Mom and her aunts/uncles may or may not choose to get items off the list - it is just meant to be a helpful tool to let people know the kinds of things she is into. She also knows I still retain veto power over all items on her list (no, overindulgent aunt, you CANNOT buy her a car). Santa Mom still tends to bring one larger, more expensive item (think electronics), but not always - the budget varies year to year. The "big" gift this year is going to be a new smart phone, but not an iPhone or Samsung - one that is more reasonably priced ($250). DD is truly happy with whatever she gets - I think the ground work you lay in that regard when they are little is important in driving that.

We do a similar thing with our DD and DS. They write a list to Santa and know that they may or may not receive all of the items on it, it's more of an idea for him to know what to bring. But they do often circle or highlight the things they would love.
Santa also emails me sometimes to clarify colours or a particular style of something...
I have almost finished Christmas shopping this year.

DS: (aged 7) Lego sets
Pokemon cards
Books
Meccano set
Harry Potter robes. (not yet)

DD: (aged 9) Sylvanian Families car and babies
Books
Purple roller skates (not yet)
sewing basket
Breyer horse

If they have anything else specific on their lists they may get that from an Auntie or each other. But I am pretty happy with what I have so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter