Anyone stockpiling food?

Yes, I have a monthly subscription and I am getting...

"Temporarily Unavailable
We are working to get this item for your delivery."

I noticed the price has increased online approximately 50% with no discount. Guess the supplier is ditching regular customers for supply in demand? I don't know.
Our water is great in the northeast unlike Florida and having cases on hand is a smart move. No subscription we just buy it at the local grocer. Having a few cases on hand makes sense. Same with coffee keep at least 10 lbs on hand.

Our water is great in the northeast unlike Florida and having cases on hand is a smart move. No subscription we just buy it at the local grocer. Having a few cases on hand makes sense. Same with coffee keep at least 10 lbs on hand.
I buy bulky and/or heavy items through "Subscribe and Save". They are delivered to my door...very convenient and usually cheaper even before the 15% discount.

I don't understand. Why are people stockpiling water? Enlighten me if I'm missing something please, but why would our water supply be in jeopardy from a circulating virus?

A lot of the advice being offered right now is standard all-occasions preparedness, which includes water in case of natural disasters. But as someone pointed out up-thread, most municipalities keep their staffing levels at the bare minimum due to budget pressures so in smaller communities it wouldn't take too many people to fall ill to interrupt ordinary operations - my community's water authority employs 3 full time and 2 part time workers, and only the 3 full-timers have a direct hand in the processing plants (the part time jobs are clerical). We do have a back-up plan of calling in a few department retirees that still live in the community should they be needed, but that's still only 5 or 6 people that are charged with keeping the drinking water system for a couple thousand households running.

That said, I'm not concerned enough about that eventuality to stockpile water. I think disruptions to the water supply are much, much less likely than circumstances where I might not want to have to go to the store for a couple weeks.

We always have bottles of water on hand. Keep a supply of can goods and toilet paper along with wooden matches. If supply chains get interrupted best to have something. Always keep can goods on hand.
Well sure, I get that, we always have a case of water around for various things. During hurricane season we usually keep 2-3 cases on hand. What I don't understand is why this health threat specifically has people stockpiling large amounts of bottled water. I can't think of any scenario where a virus is going to disrupt the clean, safe water that flows freely from my faucets. Can you?

@TLSnell1981- sounds like the supplier ran out of inventory/had problems getting their regular supply but honestly, I think were it my business I'd work hard to ensure my subscription clientele remained happy even if I had to give them a smaller order than normal. Hope you get a restocked email soon.

A lot of the advice being offered right now is standard all-occasions preparedness, which includes water in case of natural disasters. But as someone pointed out up-thread, most municipalities keep their staffing levels at the bare minimum due to budget pressures so in smaller communities it wouldn't take too many people to fall ill to interrupt ordinary operations - my community's water authority employs 3 full time and 2 part time workers, and only the 3 full-timers have a direct hand in the processing plants (the part time jobs are clerical). We do have a back-up plan of calling in a few department retirees that still live in the community should they be needed, but that's still only 5 or 6 people that are charged with keeping the drinking water system for a couple thousand households running.

That said, I'm not concerned enough about that eventuality to stockpile water. I think disruptions to the water supply are much, much less likely than circumstances where I might not want to have to go to the store for a couple weeks.
Thanks for the sensible reply. I now understand why this could be a concern in smaller communities. I live in a very densely populated area so I'm sure that our water treatment facility employs many people. I do still think it's sort of silly to apply a one size fits all protocol to every possible type of emergency preparedness.

Well sure, I get that, we always have a case of water around for various things. During hurricane season we usually keep 2-3 cases on hand. What I don't understand is why this health threat specifically has people stockpiling large amounts of bottled water. I can't think of any scenario where a virus is going to disrupt the clean, safe water that flows freely from my faucets. Can you?
Have always been cautious. Same with money. Best to keep cash on hand just in case banks close or power gets interrupted and ATM doesn't work.

I have never seen Costco the way I saw it today. The only thing they were out of was Kirkland bottled water, but the amount of people with carts full of water and paper products was incredible.

I never buy bottled water. It drives me crazy that it’s even a thing since recycling programs barely exist here. If a hurricane is in the gulf I get a couple of gallons. The only time running water was a problem was after Katrina and if you were smart you weren’t there to deal with it.

Other than a natural disaster where the physical building is destroyed, I can't think of one instance where a bank with FDIC and other government backing would close.
Even lack of electricity can close a bank or at least not allow you to take out funds from any but the branch you opened the account with. Something happened to me once where I was required to go directly to my opening branch but it no longer existed and I had to track down where my paper records were transferred to. This was in the early 21st century and maybe things have changed since then.

Even lack of electricity can close a bank or at least not allow you to take out funds from any but the branch you opened the account with. Something happened to me once where I was required to go directly to my opening branch but it no longer existed and I had to track down where my paper records were transferred to. This was in the early 21st century and maybe things have changed since then.
When I worked at a bank and we lost power after opening that day, everything was done by hand, not computer. People still got cash and made deposits.

If everyone nationwide stock piles every grocery item, every personal care item, every prescription drug, cleaning supplies, gasoline, cash, the stockpiling itself is going to create problems. Look at what has happened with face masks. I'm not saying that people shouldn't have two weeks worth of canned goods and pasta (and vodka), but I really think that a lot of people are going too far.

I have said it before and I will say it again, at some point all of this can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. We have seen nothing happen yet that requires hoarding of food, water, paper products or medication. In my opinion those should be left for people who need them - not people who will never need them.

Secondly, it is almost like we are preparing for Armageddon. I am going to try to keep a level head and hope that we don't completely tank the economy for no reason and cause problems for years on end.

I get it, we don't know much about the virus. However, I am more afraid of some of the other things that are going on with relation to the virus than the virus itself.

We went to Wally World today to pick up a few things and the tylenol aisle was wiped out.
We just got the things on our list that we need for our upcoming Disney trip, no stockpiling here.

I have said it before and I will say it again, at some point all of this can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. We have seen nothing happen yet that requires hoarding of food, water, paper products or medication. In my opinion those should be left for people who need them - not people who will never need them.

Secondly, it is almost like we are preparing for Armageddon. I am going to try to keep a level head and hope that we don't completely tank the economy for no reason and cause problems for years on end.

I get it, we don't know much about the virus. However, I am more afraid of some of the other things that are going on with relation to the virus than the virus itself.
How does a 2 weeks supply of mostly food equal hoarding and how does that amt of goods tank the economy for years to come? I can see short term problems with empty shelves but not the scenario you posted. Can you explain your thinking in more detail?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter