• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone want to help me think through ECV/crutches + DAS + infant? Feeling overwhelmed ...

TillyMarigold

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I am so sorry this is a novel, but I didn't want to make a million new threads. And I know there are a threads about all this, but I'm having trouble synthesizing all of them into one complete plan. I greatly appreciate anyone patient enough to help me work this out.

This trip is meant to be not quite once in a lifetime, but close--we'll certainly not be able to afford another really long trip and staying in a deluxe again in the foreseeable future. Not with the way prices are increasing, my older one being about to age into being a "Disney Adult," the baby currently being free, and some lucky circumstances that allowed us to splash out this one time. This trip has been what I've been clinging to for a very long time and I've been answering every obstacle with "But whatever else happens, we are going to GET to Disney World." We have a bunch of meals booked, we will ride some rides, I am trying to keep everyone's expectations low, I know there will be a lot of sitting around unable to do anything while feeding the baby (etc.), I have been planning and coordinating and adjusting like a pro ... and then yesterday I found out my local airport got rid of curbside check-in (and also economy parking) and I feel like this is the last straw, or in Spanish, la gota que derramó el vaso ... the drop that made the glass overflow.

My family is going to WDW from 10/30/21 (Saturday)-11/8/21 (Monday). We are staying in a preferred studio at SSR (NOT accessible). We have a 2.5-hour direct flight. We are:

• My husband (I forget--we don't use acronyms here, right?), Chernabog. 100% superstar.
  • My 9-year-old, Pluto. He has SPD (mostly problems with loud/rumbling noises), severe ADHD-I, severe CAPD, and is pending an autism diagnosis (his biggest difficulty besides the SPD is with verbalization when under stress, but he can be prone to meltdowns). I've been on the fence about whether to ask for DAS for him. I am taking noise-canceling headphones. Tentatively, he says he wants to see how it goes the first day and ask for DAS if he needs it, rather than get it in advance. Thoughts on DAS for him? We had a really hard trip 3 years ago when he was 6, but since then he's had a bunch of therapies and is on medication, so we might be okay. I don't want to clog up the DAS system if we don't really need it, you know? I would feel guilty using it when he probably would mostly be okay.
  • My 1-year-old, Jack-Jack. (Actually his birthday is a few days after we return, but close enough.) Will be in a stroller and hopefully will not fight us too much over it, since he's getting close to that age where he wants to walk by himself. We did not book him a separate seat on the plane. He is the chillest, happiest baby you've ever met (as long as he doesn't get hungry).
  • Me--Violet. And because apparently the universe believes the last couple years haven't been stressful enough, back in August I broke my ankle in what I believe is about as spectacular way as it's possible to do and still have it be reparable. I will be 10 weeks post-surgery (12 weeks post-injury) when we go. Here's the details on that:
    • I'm currently pretty much confined to the small living room of my small house, although I do have PT on my arms and good leg and have been practicing with crutches. I am the least coordinated person you've ever met and my crutches and knee scooter both kind of terrify me.
    • At the time we go, I should be 3 weeks into using a walking cast or boot (if all goes well), so I *think* that means I'll be partially weight-bearing with crutches, either 25% or 50%.
    • Not planning to take the knee scooter to Disney--just crutches. Or is it a terrible idea not to take my knee scooter? At least as a backup?
    • Reserved wheelchair assistance in the airport, from curb to gate, but indicated I would be able to crutch from the gate to the plane unless there were stairs. Anything I should know about wheelchair assistance in airports? (Other than, I may have to wait a long time?)
    • My local airport doesn't have curbside check-in. Suggestions for how to manage getting all of us (and luggage) from home to airplane and vice-versa gratefully accepted. We would prefer not to have to take a car seat. Drive ourselves, have DH drop me and the kids at the curb (or take them with him) and park? Get someone to take us and pick us up when we come back? Taxi? Train? (Just kidding--the train is super convenient, but there's no way we could manage the luggage on it with me on crutches.) Also, advice for flying in a wheelchair/with crutches and also with a bucketload of metal in my leg? Is aiming to get to the airport 3 hours early enough time?
    • Booked Magical Express. Should I cancel and book Mears? I will be on crutches from leaving the airport to SSR. Again, preferred room, and I asked for 1st floor and near the bus (or near Carriage House? I forget).
    • Rented a scooter from ScooterBug for delivery to the resort. Scooter tips? I got one with a basket and a crutches holder, and someone already told me to bring extra ponchos to cover the handlebars/basket and seat/battery.
    • In general, my plan is to take the ECV as far as I can (up to the ride vehicle) and use crutches to get in/out of the vehicles instead of using an accessible ride vehicle. Also, maybe park the ECV outside restrooms and use crutches to go in. Realistic?
    • It was too late to change to an accessible room. Advice for making a regular room friendly to someone on crutches? Especially the bathroom? I know SSR doesn't have grab bars, at least not in the renovated studios I've seen on YouTube (which seems really weird to me--it seems like most non-Disney hotels put grab bars in every bathroom).
    • Planning to rely on Disney buses. How terrible of an idea is this? Should I count on using Mears transit? I gather they have the capability to move the scooter but that we'd need to book in advance for that. We would also need an infant car seat. Or should I try to get a last minute rental car?
    • Advice on using the ECV at WDW. I've been with a manual wheelchair user who had some mobility, but now I'm questioning how realistic my plan is to scooter up to rides and then use the crutches to walk on. I'm not a thrill ride person, but that brings us to another issue ...
    • Rider swap with a scooter and stroller. When we took Pluto at age 2, my mom was with us and she much preferred playing with him to rides, so we almost never had to rider swap with him. The last time I really used Rider Swap was 10+ years ago with the children of friends. I get that we all go up to the end of the regular queue together (through the extended part if necessary) and then I stay in line with Pluto and Chernabog gets (basically) a FP to ride with Pluto after Pluto and I come out. (That makes more sense, right? for me to spend the time in line with Pluto while Chernabog spends the longer time with Jack-Jack, rather than vice-versa) But ... how do I take care of the baby in a stroller while I'm in my ECV? Besides rider swap, I'm actually more worried about things that I don't want to ride myself, like Splash Mountain. In that case, I'd have to watch Jack-Jack the whole time that Chernabog and Pluto are in line and on the ride. (Which seems like an argument in favor of DAS for Pluto, but would be an abuse of it, right?) I know this is something that parents who use mobility aids regularly have to deal with all the time, but I'm flummoxed.
    • ECVs in restaurants--how does that work? Do I need to park it outside and use crutches to get to the table? Will they have wheelchairs I can transfer to if it's too much walking/standing? (Restaurants we've booked, somewhat subject to change: Space 220, Teppan Edo, Hollywood & Vine, Tony's, Jaleo, Skipper Cantina, T-REX, Tiffins. I'd like to swap something Boathouse and do the amphicar, and maybe swap something for a brunch, but so far that's what we have.)
I think that might be all I have for now. ("'All,' Violet? You do realize that there are shorter novels than your post?") Thank you so very, very much for your patience, your thoughts, your advice, and whatever good thoughts you can send us.

Last edited:
By the way--yes, of course I am reading all the threads I see on these subjects! Especially including mamabunny's How to ECV guide.

I've already saved the WDW Transportation number in my phone in case of any bus issues. At least we're staying at SSR, so I know that (1) I don't have to worry about buses to/from Disney Springs and (2) I have the option to use an OKW bus instead if I have to.

Last edited:
  • My 9-year-old, Pluto. He has SPD (mostly problems with loud/rumbling noises), severe ADHD-I, severe CAPD, and is pending an autism diagnosis (his biggest difficulty besides the SPD is with verbalization when under stress, but he can be prone to meltdowns). I've been on the fence about whether to ask for DAS for him. I am taking noise-canceling headphones. Tentatively, he says he wants to see how it goes the first day and ask for DAS if he needs it, rather than get it in advance. Thoughts on DAS for him? We had a really hard trip 3 years ago when he was 6, but since then he's had a bunch of therapies and is on medication, so we might be okay. I don't want to clog up the DAS system if we don't really need it, you know? I would feel guilty using it when he probably would mostly be okay.
There is no rule that you have to request DAS on the first day. Many people do ‘see how it goes first if they are not sure whether or not they need DAS.
When requesting DAS, the individual conditions a guest has are not the important things. You need to be prepared to explain (briefly) what issues the guest may have that prevent him from waiting in the ’regular’ lines.
There is also no rule that a guest who has DAS needs to use it for every attraction. Many people treat it as ‘insurance’ - not needed all the time, but available when needed.
  • Me--Violet. And because apparently the universe believes the last couple years haven't been stressful enough, back in August I broke my ankle in what I believe is about as spectacular way as it's possible to do and still have it be reparable. I will be 10 weeks post-surgery (12 weeks post-injury) when we go. Here's the details on that:
    • I'm currently pretty much confined to the small living room of my small house, although I do have PT on my arms and good leg and have been practicing with crutches. I am the least coordinated person you've ever met and my crutches and knee scooter both kind of terrify me.
    • At the time we go, I should be 3 weeks into using a walking cast or boot (if all goes well), so I *think* that means I'll be partially weight-bearing with crutches, either 25% or 50%.
    • Since you are still pretty immobile, check with your doctor about whether you should be taking any precautions for blood clots - can be an issue with immobility an inability to move around on a plane.
      [*]Not planning to take the knee scooter to Disney--just crutches. Or is it a terrible idea not to take my knee scooter? At least as a backup?
      I‘ve seen lots of people using knee scooters in the parks, but they were using it as their only mobility device. Trying to bring it to the parks and cart it around with you from place to place would be a hassle - you can get crutch holders for ECVs, but carrying a knee scooter on an ECV is very much more difficult.
      [*]Reserved wheelchair assistance in the airport, from curb to gate, but indicated I would be able to crutch from the gate to the plane unless there were stairs. Anything I should know about wheelchair assistance in airports? (Other than, I may have to wait a long time?)
      are you bringing a wheelchair with you? If so, you can still get wheelchair assistance to push the wheelchair for you. If you bring a wheelchair, it flies for free (any mobility device does and your crutches may fit in the overhead bin). If you are bringing a wheelchair, you can gate check it, which means you could use it all the way to the door of the plane. If the airport/airline is providing a wheelchair, that can also be brought to the door, then the skycap will take it away.
      [*]My local airport doesn't have curbside check-in. Suggestions for how to manage getting all of us (and luggage) from home to airplane and vice-versa gratefully accepted. We would prefer not to have to take a car seat. Drive ourselves, have DH drop me and the kids at the curb (or take them with him) and park? Get someone to take us and pick us up when we come back? Taxi? Train? (Just kidding--the train is super convenient, but there's no way we could manage the luggage on it with me on crutches.) Also, advice for flying in a wheelchair/with crutches and also with a bucketload of metal in my leg? Is aiming to get to the airport 3 hours early enough time?
      My choice would be to have someone drive you and pick you up. If there is enough room for an extra person, they could help you get luggage into the door of the airport (assuming one person has to stay with the curbside parked car or, they could park in the ramp/lot and help you get in before leaving. If you have to drive, I think your husband would need to either drop you and the bags off or you and the kids off - he would not be able to handle getting everything from the parking area to inside. Same on the way back. If you didn’t bring a wheelchair with you, you may have a long stand while waiting for him (another reason I’d suggest being dropped off and picked up). Also look into TSA Cares - the Services provided vary from airport to airport and may not always be available, but they csn help facilitate checking in and getting thru security. We have used it several times at the Minneapolis -St. Paul airport with good success. Not as good as Orlando airport - when we‘ve scheduled them, they haven’t showed up.
      [*]Booked Magical Express. Should I cancel and book Mears? I will be on crutches from leaving the airport to SSR.
      Magical Express does have accessible lift buses - there is usually a longer wait and are benches in the area where guests wait (but they may already be filled when you get there). If you brought a wheelchair, you can ride it on the lift and it will be tied down in the back rows of the bus. If you don’t have a wheelchair with you, one csn be borrowed to ride up the lift and get you onto the bus. Going thru Mears would only be an improvement if you are using a TownCar or something else other then a bus/shared ride.

A few thoughts that I hope answer at least some of the questions:

1. Re DAS for Pluto - it's up to you, but don't feel like you're "clogging up" DAS if you use it. If he would benefit from it, or if you think it might help allow him to enjoy the park for longer, then take advantage of the option! I know that, for both my ADHD partner and my ASD self, DAS is the only way we can manage more than a few hours at the park because of the crowds/overstimulation. That said, if you're concerned or want to see how things go, you can certainly do the first day without DAS and only request one if you find it's really necessary. You can get a DAS at any point during your trip, whether you have 7 park days left or only 1.
2. Side-note for Pluto - if he's the kind of kid where he's more comfortable dealing with situations when he knows more about them in advance, check out ride POV videos on youtube before you go.
3. Re: knee scooter - Since you'll have wheelchair assistance at the airport (I assume at all airports you're going to?), and you're getting the ECV at your resort, then it's probably not a mistake to leave the knee scooter at home. My main concern would be getting from wherever the MCO wheelchair service leaves you (is it baggage claim? do they take you all the way to DME? Can someone else answer that part as I don't know?) to DME, including potentially waiting awhile in line for DME. Otherwise, the knee scooter would probably be one more thing to wrangle - which you clearly don't need!
4. Re: DME v Mears - I would plan on DME but be prepared to switch if the wait would be undoable. How long the line is seems to be really hit-or-miss with no way to predict. We've always had good luck, others haven't.
5. Re: Drop-off at the airport - I agree that, if you have someone who can give you a ride to the airport, that's probably the easiest. If not, see how expensive Lyft/Uber might be and use that if possible. Because there's no curbside check-in at your airport, I assume there's also no curbside wheelchair pickup, so you would need to stand on crutches with JackJack, Pluto, and all the luggage...which at least to me looks like a recipe for disaster (or maybe I'm just thinking of my nephews in a similar situation)! Or you would stand with Pluto and the luggage and your crutches and your husband would bring JackJack after parking...either way, I suspect Lyft/Uber would be less expensive than airport parking and probably easier as well, even for an XL.
5a - the benefit of getting wheelchair assistance is that they seem to speed people through TSA faster than expected! You may also want to look into TSA Pre-check or Clear if it's not too late (I have no idea what their processing times are like these days). But even so, when you have the walking boot or other big neon indicator of "This Leg Is Injured!" and explain there are pins/etc. in it, they shouldn't have a problem. Most likely will swab the outside of the boot and your hands to check for chemical residue. No biggie. 3 hours should be plenty.
6. Re: Disney buses - That's what we always rely on and haven't had a problem. They're used to ECVs, as long as your husband can bring JackJack+stroller onboard after you've parked there's no reason that couldn't work.

• Again, preferred room, and I asked for 1st floor and near the bus (or near Carriage House? I forget).
  • Rented a scooter from ScooterBug for delivery to the resort. Scooter tips? I got one with a basket and a crutches holder, and someone already told me to bring extra ponchos to cover the handlebars/basket and seat/battery.
  • Those are good things to remember. The Scooter will be delivered to Bell Services; you may want to have your husband pick it up from there and take it back when it’s time to leave to avoid you having a long walk. All SSR buildings have elevators, but if you are not on first floor, the elevator may not be readily visible or close to your room.
    [*]In general, my plan is to take the ECV as far as I can (up to the ride vehicle) and use crutches to get in/out of the vehicles instead of using an accessible ride vehicle. Also, maybe park the ECV outside restrooms and use crutches to go in. Realistic?
    All attractions are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding, but not all are ECV accessible. Those that are not ECV accessible have courtesy wheelchairs that can be borrowed to use in the attraction. This Link to Mobility information from the WDW website shows which you can use an ECV for. Some, but not all, of the wheelchair accessible ride vehicles are also ECV accessible. You can find more info in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board or with the link in my signature. For bathrooms, they can be kind of tight with an ECV and usually only have one accessible stall that an ECV could fit in (some have a wheelchair accessible stall that is a tight fit for my daughter’s wheelchair. If you park the ECV outside, you may be standing for a period while you wait, but there are multiple regular size stalls with grab bars in most restrooms - look for the doors that open out. Each park has Companion Restrooms which are single stall accessible restrooms where you would have room to bring the ECV. In our experience, there may be a line and a long wait for those.
    [*]It was too late to change to an accessible room. Advice for making a regular room friendly to someone on crutches? Especially the bathroom? I know SSR doesn't have grab bars, at least not in the renovated studios I've seen on YouTube (which seems really weird to me--it seems like most non-Disney hotels put grab bars in every bathroom).
    Even though your trip is coming up, I’d suggest calling Disability Services at (407) 560-2547, or send an email to disability.services@disneyparks.com. There are different levels of accessible rooms. Some have a roll in shower. Some have the ‘regular’ tub/shower that studios have, but have grab bars by the toilet and tub. Other than the bathroom, the accessible rooms without roll in showers are usually the same as other rooms.
    [*]Planning to rely on Disney buses. How terrible of an idea is this? Should I count on using Mears transit? I gather they have the capability to move the scooter but that we'd need to book in advance for that. We would also need an infant car seat. Or should I try to get a last minute rental car?
    All Disney resort /park buses have 2 mobility spots where an ECV or wheelchair can be secured. We pretty much use the WDW buses; we try to avoid the park opening and park closing rushes. Much more likely to not hit filled tie down spots or full busses. Even if you rent a car and drive, I’d still recommend using the buses for MK. Guests who drive park at the Ticket and Transportation Center. It’s quite a walk in, then you need to use the monorail or ferry boat go get to the park.
    [*]Advice on using the ECV at WDW. I've been with a manual wheelchair user who had some mobility, but now I'm questioning how realistic my plan is to scooter up to rides and then use the crutches to walk on. I'm not a thrill ride person, but that brings us to another issue ...
    [*]Rider swap with a scooter and stroller. When we took Pluto at age 2, my mom was with us and she much preferred playing with him to rides, so we almost never had to rider swap with him. The last time I really used Rider Swap was 10+ years ago with the children of friends. I get that we all go up to the end of the regular queue together (through the extended part if necessary) and then I stay in line with Pluto and Chernabog gets (basically) a FP to ride with Pluto after Pluto and I come out. (That makes more sense, right? for me to spend the time in line with Pluto while Chernabog spends the longer time with Jack-Jack, rather than vice-versa)
    Rider Swap works differently than you remember. Guests wanting to do Rider Swap approach the sign that says Rider Swap or a CM at the ride entrance and tell the CM they want to do Rider Swap. The CM puts a Rider Swap ‘ticket’ for the second Group. The person who is not riding and a person to stay with them wait outside of the line and use the Rider Swap ‘ticket’ once the first group finishes. Children who don’t meet the height requirement for an attraction are not allowed into the line or attraction. It does make sense for you to ride first with Pluto - you would have less time to wait alone with baby.
    [*]But ... how do I take care of the baby in a stroller while I'm in my ECV? Besides rider swap, I'm actually more worried about things that I don't want to ride myself, like Splash Mountain. In that case, I'd have to watch Jack-Jack the whole time that Chernabog and Pluto are in line and on the ride. (Which seems like an argument in favor of DAS for Pluto, but would be an abuse of it, right?) I know this is something that parents who use mobility aids regularly have to deal with all the time, but I'm flummoxed.
    Before Chernabog and Pluto get into line, find an out of the way place where you and Jack-Jack can chill for a while. Genie (if it’s working by then) will have ways to see when different attractions are most & least busy, which can help with planning when to go. If Genie is not operating by that time, you will at least be able to see what the current wait is so you will know how long you will need to be alone with the baby. If you are able to be alone in your resort room, maybe Chernabog and Pluto could go to a park alone so they can ride things you won’t be going on. They could go early or all of you return to your room, get the baby settled and then the 2 of them go back to the park.
    [*]ECVs in restaurants--how does that work? Do I need to park it outside and use crutches to get to the table? Will they have wheelchairs I can transfer to if it's too much walking/standing? (Restaurants we've booked, somewhat subject to change: Space 220, Teppan Edo, Hollywood & Vine, Tony's, Jaleo, Skipper Cantina, T-REX, Tiffins. I'd like to swap something Boathouse and do the amphicar, and maybe swap something for a brunch, but so far that's what we have.)
    When you check in, tell them what you need. Restaurants are unlikely to have a wheelchair you can borrow. In some, you may be able to take the ECV to the table and have it there. In others, you may be able to take the ECV to the table, transfer to a chair and have someone park it for you; that may be outside, but could also be an out of the way place inside the restaurant. If a CM says it must be parked outside, ask about your options.

By the way--yes, of course I am reading all the threads I see on these subjects! Especially including mamabunny's How to ECV guide.

I've already saved the WDW Transportation number in my phone in case of any bus issues. At least we're staying at SSR, so I know that (1) I don't have to worry about buses to/from Disney Springs and (2) I have the option to use an OKW bus instead if I have to.
Not sure what you mean by the bolded part. OKW is close to SSR, but not that close. We stay at OKW and sometimes walk to Disney Springs or SSR from OKW.
It is about a mile from OKW to the nearest part of Disney Springs and the path closes at dusk.

Thank you so much! That is very helpful. I filled out the TSA Cares form. I hadn't realized ME had lift buses.

I do have a borrowed folding wheelchair that I hadn't planned to bring. I had meant that I would bring the knee scooter as a backup to the scooter or to move around the room and/or airport until I got the wheelchair. So instead of a manual wheelchair, not instead of crutches. Definitely bringing crutches. They do fold, I hope that makes it easier to have them on the plane.

And yes, dr has me taking blood clot preventive measures and hopefully I'll be in a boot (not a cast) and can wear compression socks. It's a short flight, at least (2.5 hours is gate to gate)

Not sure what you mean by the bolded part. OKW is close to SSR, but not that close. We stay at OKW and sometimes walk to Disney Springs or SSR from OKW.
It is about a mile from OKW to the nearest part of Disney Springs and the path closes at dusk.

Sorry, two different thoughts! I was reading the thread about problems with getting a bus late at night. I meant that:
1. If I'm at Disney Springs, I don't need to wait for a bus at all.
2. If I'm somewhere else and SSR buses aren't coming, if worse comes to worst, I would also have the option to get on an OKW bus and walk/scooter from OKW to SSR. Not ideal, but maybe helpful.

I didn't realize the path closes! I haven't taken it since ... 2009?

I don't know how to multi quote, so am going to forgo quoting... some thoughts...

Part of these thoughts come from the experience of someone who had to fly with a walking boot, though I was weight bearing enough with it that I did not also need crutches.

Re: airport wheelchair assistance:

I strongly encourage you to reconsider not having wheelchair assistance from gate to plane door [and trying to do that with crutches]. Why ? Jet bridges are NOT flat. They are on an incline. Incline + crutches = potential for safety hazard at worst, and just a challenge to navigate at best. Why put yourself through that [unless you really want to] ? Accept the wheelchair assistance to the plane door, then you only have the plane to navigate. When I had to fly with the boot, trying to navigate the jetway would have been a problem -- you are already somewhat unstead and then to throw an inclined ramp into the picture...while hauling bags which make you unbalanced... not a great idea; managing inside the plane was an adventure enough !

Re: walking boots on planes

This I learned the hard way and so I impart this learned lesson :-) If you walking boot has an AIR BLADDER(S).... Think Physics. The air bladders will expand as the plane gains altitude and the pressure in the cabin decreases. What happened to me: I did not remember Physics. So I had the boot properly adjusted with the air bladder inflated, nicely holding my lower leg imobile like it is supposed to. The plane took off and was some time into ascending. While ascending, suddenly my booted leg was in EXTREME pain. Fortunately, I immediately realized Physics and knew what was wrong (the air bladder had expanded due to lower air pressure) and how to fix it (let the air out!). It wasn't quite as easy as that since I was in economy and bending all the way over with your seatbelt on in an economy seat blindly trying to find the valve to release the air pressure from the bladder while in ever increasing extreme pain was a head-whacking contortionist little adventure. As soon as the valve released the air the pain went away and the immediate problem was solved. I sat and waited until we had been cruising at full altitude for about ten minutes before I inflated the bladder again, figuring the cabin pressure had stabilized to its lowest level by then. When we descended there came a point where I could feel the air bladder losen its grip and the boot became loose -- the increased pressure causing the bladder to shrink. Once we landed and the cabin door was opened, I had to inflate the air bladder again so the boot was properly adjusted before I could move around or stand up with it. Flying home was easy because I knew what to expect: as the plane was taxiing to take off, I deflated the bladder; once at altitude for a while I inflated it; once on the ground at the gate I reinflated it. The timings may not have been perfect [eg if there had been an emergency on landing the boot would not be inflated], but it worked.

So, remember physics and prepare accordingly when flying with a walking boot that has an air bladder. Your doctor may have some suggestions too, and since you don't have the boot yet you'll have the chance to ask specifically about flying with it and how to handle the air bladder in the air with the pressure changes.

re: DME and wheelchair assistance and baggage

Our most recent trip to WDW was December 2019 so I can't speak to how things are with the pandemic. However, for that trip and previous ones when I have had wheelchair assistance in MCO, the porter has taken us from the plane to baggage claim and then helped us retrieve our baggage and taken us to DME and waited until we got our bus. We tip generously [at least $40], more if the wait was longer. One time the wait was rather long and more than once I said it was ok for him to leave the bags we would be ok [my sister was with me] but he insisted on staying until we loaded the bus. YMMV.

That said, according to the MCO website: https://orlandoairports.net/getting-around-mco/accessibility/ :
- Luggage carts are available in the “A-Side” and “B-Side” garages, rental car areas (in the “A-Side” and “B-Side” garages) and on the “A-Side” and “B-Side” of the Main Terminal on Levels 1, 2 and 3
- Luggage carts are not permitted through security
- Luggage carts are available at a nominal fee

Thank you so much again to everyone! I am rereading all your comments again today. Starwind, thank you so much for the heads-up about the boot. I knew it intellectually, but probably wouldn't have put 2+2 together (despite having lived at high altitude for 10 years and being very familiar with the effect of air pressure). I won't know until the 8th (3 weeks before the trip) exactly whether I'll have a walking boot or cast, or what type, or how much weight I can put on it.

I gather from another thread that rooms with grab bars in the shower are still considered a type of accessible room. I did email Disabilty Services to ask, though. And I signed up for TSA Cares. I'm pretty sure Pre-Check takes a reeeeeeally long time now.

Ugh, i don't think it's possible to edit the details of my wheelchair request with the airline. (Sue--fortunately, I have a direct flight, so I'll only be dealing with PHL and MCO.) It's a very good point about ramps. The last time few times we had to call the airline, it took 10-12 hours to get through.

Thank you so much again to everyone! I am rereading all your comments again today. Starwind, thank you so much for the heads-up about the boot. I knew it intellectually, but probably wouldn't have put 2+2 together (despite having lived at high altitude for 10 years and being very familiar with the effect of air pressure). I won't know until the 8th (3 weeks before the trip) exactly whether I'll have a walking boot or cast, or what type, or how much weight I can put on it.

I gather from another thread that rooms with grab bars in the shower are still considered a type of accessible room. I did email Disabilty Services to ask, though. And I signed up for TSA Cares. I'm pretty sure Pre-Check takes a reeeeeeally long time now.

Ugh, i don't think it's possible to edit the details of my wheelchair request with the airline. (Sue--fortunately, I have a direct flight, so I'll only be dealing with PHL and MCO.) It's a very good point about ramps. The last time few times we had to call the airline, it took 10-12 hours to get through.
Rooms with grab bars:
We‘ve been in non-accessible WDW rooms that had grab bars in all the first floor rooms - I guess the assumption is that people with mobility concerns are more likely to request first floor :confused3
Requesting an accessible room just lets you make sure what is in the room.

Pre-check:
We applied recently and got ours pretty quick, but we were told it could take up to 60 days for completion.

Details of airline wheelchair request:
In most cases, you don’t need to edit anything, just tell the agent when you check in and/or the skycap who is helping you. My husband usually carries our daughter from her wheelchair at the door of the plane to her seat. If she’s (or he) is having a bad day and needs to use the aisle chair, we just tell them at the time.
Keep in mind that many people don’t even request wheelchair assistance until they get to the airport. If you want to edit it, search on the airline website for the special needs department. They may have a specific phone number (different from the general number) and a specific email address to contact them.

If you’re flying Southwest
I’m sure you know but just in case 💕
Ask to pre board the plane ( if you are in the wheelchair you board first)This will help both you and your son. Try and get a seat towards the front of the plane so you will be close to the restroom if needed.

Glad you found the info helpful.

TSA Cares is a good idea. I had Canadian airport security to deal with, but TSA is probably going to be somewhat similar with dealing with the boot.

I was asked if I could walk with the book on. Yes. I was asked if I could walk through the magnetometer [person screener] WITHOUT the boot on. I explained that no, I could not. So, what they did was:

The wheelchair took me to just before the scanner-thing. I stood up and walked through it. And of course set it off. They made sure I was ok and I was wanded. I then walked a few steps to a nearby chair where I was asked to take a seat. They asked if I was ok taking the boot off as long as I stayed seating, which I said yes. So I took the boot off. As I did this they explained they would send the boot through the xray and then swab it and bring it back to me. I asked what happens if someone can't remove it? They said they have a process for that too. They were very nice and professional. They took the book and a couple minutes later brought it back. In the meantime, now that there was no boot on the leg I got a pat down. Then I was good to go and they said to take my time getting ready.

So, prepare for extra time at security. Be clear on whether you can walk or not, if you need a walking air or not, etc. If you can stand and for how long. If the boot can come off, etc etc.

I found this blog post you may find helpful: https://feastandwest.com/2019/05/10/flying-with-an-injury/

If you’re flying Southwest
I’m sure you know but just in case 💕
Ask to pre board the plane ( if you are in the wheelchair you board first)This will help both you and your son. Try and get a seat towards the front of the plane so you will be close to the restroom if needed.

I wish. Unfortunately, part of what makes this trip possible is that we had a trip to England booked early in the pandemic and we had to use the credits by 18 months later. So we're stuck with American (and because international kids' flights are cheaper than adults, we lost some $ on each of our flights, and had up pay extra to get Pluto's ticket,... but I digress).

So, prepare for extra time at security. Be clear on whether you can walk or not, if you need a walking air or not, etc. If you can stand and for how long. If the boot can come off, etc etc.

I found this blog post you may find helpful: https://feastandwest.com/2019/05/10/flying-with-an-injury/

Thank you! I will be taking my doctor a very detailed list of questions.

Early on, I searched for travel stories from people who had injured their ankles the way I did, and found a blog from someone who hiked in Hawaii with a boot and cane 6 weeks after surgery. She must have been superhuman; I'm 6 weeks out and not allowed to put my foot down for more than a few minutes.

Only thing I can think to add is this - if you happen to get to Orlando, and realize you need something you didn’t bring (like a Rollator or knee scooter to use in the room) remember that there will be vendors for all of that kind of stuff for you to rent from, or if its cheaper, just have Amazon drop slip it to the hotel. I often have a shower bench drop shipped to my hotel, and then I just leave it at the end of my trip (typically housekeeping will just keep them around for folks who need one in the future); it’s only $30 on average, and well worth it.

Just compile a list of vendors you might need/want to rent from, and have that with you - it will give you a bit of control over the situation if you are prepared for a “worst case” scenario! For other stuff, DoorDash, InstaCart and UberEats can help deliver a lot of things like diapers, etc. if needed.

Don’t worry - I think you are more prepared than you realize! You know your family better than anyone else in the world, and it looks to me like you have taken everything into account. Be sure and be kind to yourself, and remember that they whole goal of your vacation is to arrive home again in at least the same shape you left in (if not better/happier/more rested).

Also, this old Mamabunny loves to see happy babies, so feel free to post up a picture of JackJack! 😍

Only thing I can think to add is this - if you happen to get to Orlando, and realize you need something you didn’t bring (like a Rollator or knee scooter to use in the room) remember that there will be vendors for all of that kind of stuff for you to rent from, or if its cheaper, just have Amazon drop slip it to the hotel. I often have a shower bench drop shipped to my hotel, and then I just leave it at the end of my trip (typically housekeeping will just keep them around for folks who need one in the future); it’s only $30 on average, and well worth it.

Just compile a list of vendors you might need/want to rent from, and have that with you - it will give you a bit of control over the situation if you are prepared for a “worst case” scenario! For other stuff, DoorDash, InstaCart and UberEats can help deliver a lot of things like diapers, etc. if needed.

Don’t worry - I think you are more prepared than you realize! You know your family better than anyone else in the world, and it looks to me like you have taken everything into account. Be sure and be kind to yourself, and remember that they whole goal of your vacation is to arrive home again in at least the same shape you left in (if not better/happier/more rested).

Also, this old Mamabunny loves to see happy babies, so feel free to post up a picture of JackJack! 😍
Oh, the shower bench is a great idea! I had been trying to work that out. I haven't been able to have a shower in 8 weeks now because I can't get up the stairs of my charming old house.

The internet makes things so much easier than it used to be.

Photo of Jack Jack! Bonus background shot of my pink cast. Edit: no idea why it is sideways! I swearit was right side up! 608384

Last edited:
Earlier this year, WDW and Advent Health entered an agreement to expand the services that Advent Health provides - previously, they just had a contract to provide First Aid services.
This link to Advent Health Services at WDW talks more about their services, which includes helping to obtain equipment you might need.

Keep calling reservations and see if there are any last minute cancellations for an accessible room. You never know if you don't try.

Unfortunately, we are renting points, so it is a little more complicated than that. But yes, definitely doing everything I can.

Earlier this year, WDW and Advent Health entered an agreement to expand the services that Advent Health provides - previously, they just had a contract to provide First Aid services.
This link to Advent Health Services at WDW talks more about their services, which includes helping to obtain equipment you might need.

Wonderful, thank you!

Aaaaaaand flipping American cancelled our return flight and rebooked us with a layover and arriving at 10:30 pm on a school night. Someone clearly does not want me to go to Disney World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter