Anyone want to help me think through ECV/crutches + DAS + infant? Feeling overwhelmed ...

Aaaaaaand flipping American cancelled our return flight and rebooked us with a layover and arriving at 10:30 pm on a school night. Someone clearly does not want me to go to Disney World.

LOL our daughter had a lot of medical issues, so I never stressed about perfect attendance, because it was never going to happen anyway (so I am *horrible* role model LOL) but…

You can always call American, and see if there is anything else they can do. I know that in some markets you don’t get much choice of who to fly (especially if you don’t have direct flights to anywhere but a hub) There’s no rule that says you can’t call them, or check the app every day until you leave for the airport to see if they can’t change that flight home for you…. Just saying!

And I know you have a *lot* on your plate right now, but try to remember that some stuff is kinda outside your control - so worry about what you *can* fix, let the rest go, and have a fantastic trip!

Oh - and JackJack is 😍 adorable! 😍 (even sideways! LOL)

LOL our daughter had a lot of medical issues, so I never stressed about perfect attendance, because it was never going to happen anyway (so I am *horrible* role model LOL) but…

You can always call American, and see if there is anything else they can do. I know that in some markets you don’t get much choice of who to fly (especially if you don’t have direct flights to anywhere but a hub) There’s no rule that says you can’t call them, or check the app every day until you leave for the airport to see if they can’t change that flight home for you…. Just saying!

And I know you have a *lot* on your plate right now, but try to remember that some stuff is kinda outside your control - so worry about what you *can* fix, let the rest go, and have a fantastic trip!

Oh - and JackJack is 😍 adorable! 😍 (even sideways! LOL)
I don't stress about perfect attendance (actually, our return flight is on a Monday; since we were using a credit we had a limited selection) but with the strict covid requirements at school and lack of available tests, he's missing a lot. (Like last week, he woke up coughing on Tuesday, so bam! out of school for 4 days because we didn't get the negative test result back until Friday night ... the cough was gone by 10:00 am and the test was negative).

I'm more worried about adding an additional airport to my travel experiences. I lived in Albuquerque for 10 years (from where you can only get to about 6 other cities), but I've been spoiled by being in Philadelphia the last several years, because it is a hub. In fact, American canceled the flight we were booked on in order to replace it with *two* other direct flights (one 30 minutes earlier, one an hour later), but for some reason didn't book us on one of those.

They're required by law to let us change the flight or refund it, so if they won't change it to one of the 2 direct flights, we can book a one-way return flight on Southwest. But the last two times we had to call them (to add Jack Jack as a lap infant, and to add the wheelchair assistance request) it was a 10-12 hour hold time.

Because our original trip (London in May 2020!) was through Expedia, I was able to go through them to change it. It took less than an hour, and now we are on a 4 pm direct flight. (The 5:30 flight we had booked was replaced with 4:00 and 6:00 flights.) Slightly less park time, but a better time to get back.

It's not so much that this was a huge problem, as that it was like, "Now what? All the other changes we've had to make already isn't enough already?"

So my mom uses an ECV and we were pleasantly surprised how many queues now let ECVs through the ride since the pandemic (there was always a decent amount, but we were going through queues she used to have to get out of). I would recommend looking into DAS but I’d ask guest services if the DAS and ECV would cancel each other out somehow

Well, that's a lot ... Maybe I just chime in on a couple fun ones...
Not planning to take the knee scooter to Disney--just crutches. Or is it a terrible idea not to take my knee scooter? At least as a backup?
There are a few very specific injury recoveries that make a knee-scooter essential. For everything else, I can't imagine a much worse way to get around. I know ... some people love them and it seems to make sence from a standing posture perspective, but when I look at what they do to your posture in motion I do not like it.

My local airport doesn't have curbside check-in. Suggestions for how to manage getting all of us (and luggage) from home to airplane and vice-versa gratefully accepted. We would prefer not to have to take a car seat. Drive ourselves, have DH drop me and the kids at the curb (or take them with him) and park?
Catch an Uber. Seriously. Compared to what the rest of this is costing even $100 each trip (just a little more than what it costs me) is worth it. And if they don't have curbside check in they may have SkyCap service which amounts to the same thing.

In general, my plan is to take the ECV as far as I can (up to the ride vehicle) and use crutches to get in/out of the vehicles instead of using an accessible ride vehicle. Also, maybe park the ECV outside restrooms and use crutches to go in. Realistic?
Realistic. I see it done every day (and every trip to the parks as well).

Now ... a little advice you didn't ask for directly. This trip will be well into your recovery and in many ways you will likely be feeling very much 'on the mend'. At least we hope so. This is a dangerous time because that sense of feeling better will lead you into making plans that can wreck the 2nd half of your trip. that's about the time that bad decisions come home to roost. And... that makes this bit of advice one that should be taken with great caution...

A little bit of pain-meds (as prescribed or advised by your doc), taken at the beginning of the day and re-dosed according to directions makes a huge difference in how you feel at the end of the day. Likewise, taking a lot of pain meds or taking the heavy hitters (narcotics, toradol, ultram, whatever) can lead to overextending yourself early in the trip and being flat useless for the 2nd half. The best strategy I've worked out is to take a pain-med holiday every other morning in order to gauge if my baseline need is changing throughout the trip. Something to run by your physician anyway but I've never met a doctor that didn't think it was a good plan.

So my mom uses an ECV and we were pleasantly surprised how many queues now let ECVs through the ride since the pandemic (there was always a decent amount, but we were going through queues she used to have to get out of). I would recommend looking into DAS but I’d ask guest services if the DAS and ECV would cancel each other out somehow

I would assume that the DAS trumps the ECV if the ECV can go through the queue, because not being in the queue is the problem that the DAS avoids. I'm really hoping that for most things, we'll just go right through the queue and I can use my crutches to walk a few feet to the ride vehicle.

Unfortunately, I'm visualizing the rides and thinking about SueM's excellent guide to rides with a mobility device, and feeling kind of discouraged about whether I'll be able to ride a lot of my favorites. Pirates, for example, is a really long jump up from the boat. I haven't had any way to try out moving walkways yet on my crutches.

But my baseline goal is to be able to *get there* and if I can't do anything but sit and people-watch and eat and maybe poke around in the shops, that's still better than *not* being at Disney World.

I don't have experience with most of the things you mentioned... but had a potential idea for the "busier" times. Would Jack-Jack ride in a baby backpack? I'm not suggesting that YOU wear him while you're on crutches or the ECV, but if Chernabog could wear him, that would leave you free to maneuver yourself and Chernabog's hands free to manage whatever else needs to be done (luggage, helping you or Pluto, etc.) instead of pushing the stroller.

We took my daughter when she was about 18 months and after the first day, we ended up ditching the stroller and using our Ergobaby baby carrier exclusively. She was much happier up at "eye level," we didn't have to deal with a stroller, it left my hands free to deal with my 4 year old/carry food/look at the map, etc. (Edit: Just noticed that she's in it in my profile photo.)

Well, that's a lot ... Maybe I just chime in on a couple fun ones...

There are a few very specific injury recoveries that make a knee-scooter essential. For everything else, I can't imagine a much worse way to get around. I know ... some people love them and it seems to make sence from a standing posture perspective, but when I look at what they do to your posture in motion I do not like it.

Catch an Uber. Seriously. Compared to what the rest of this is costing even $100 each trip (just a little more than what it costs me) is worth it. And if they don't have curbside check in they may have SkyCap service which amounts to the same thing.

Realistic. I see it done every day (and every trip to the parks as well).

Now ... a little advice you didn't ask for directly. This trip will be well into your recovery and in many ways you will likely be feeling very much 'on the mend'. At least we hope so. This is a dangerous time because that sense of feeling better will lead you into making plans that can wreck the 2nd half of your trip. that's about the time that bad decisions come home to roost. And... that makes this bit of advice one that should be taken with great caution...

A little bit of pain-meds (as prescribed or advised by your doc), taken at the beginning of the day and re-dosed according to directions makes a huge difference in how you feel at the end of the day. Likewise, taking a lot of pain meds or taking the heavy hitters (narcotics, toradol, ultram, whatever) can lead to overextending yourself early in the trip and being flat useless for the 2nd half. The best strategy I've worked out is to take a pain-med holiday every other morning in order to gauge if my baseline need is changing throughout the trip. Something to run by your physician anyway but I've never met a doctor that didn't think it was a good plan.

Thank you!!!

I will talk to my doctor about pain meds, thank you, I didn't think of it and it's a very good (and important) idea. I am very much hoping that at 12 weeks post-break, I'm in the clear to take NSAIDs for swelling if needed. I had already thought of compression socks (assuming I'm in a boot, not cast) and ice, but not pain meds.

I don't love my knee scooter, I just like it better than my crutches for longer distances. I was thinking of it more as a way to move around the resort, especially if I just want to go to the vending machine or ice machine or something. Something that I can use more for more than I can do on crutches, but when I don't necessarily need the scooter. But practically speaking, I think a better answer is going to be a lot more practice on my crutches.

I've Ubered (well, Lyfted) to the airport before and it's always my preferred way to do it; but with the baby, I think we'd need a private ride service instead--one that would either provide car seats, or return our car seat to our house afterwards. (Which isn't a terrible idea--I know a local business that may be able to.) I think I may also ask if my dad would like to do it--he doesn't live very close to me, but for some reason he LOVES to drive people to the airport.

I don't love my knee scooter, I just like it better than my crutches for longer distances. But practically speaking, I think a better answer is going to be a lot more practice on my crutches.

Are you using forearm (Lofstrand) or armpit (axilla) crutches? In the US the most common crutch given out is the classic underarm canoe paddle and for the life of me I can't figure out why. The Lofstrand crutch ( elbow crutch, forearm crutch ...) is a lighter and more nimble system and adds to your "footprint" much much less than the other style; which makes you less of a target for people intent on stumbling into your crutches (aka everyone at the parks). The elbo crutches are also shorter and much easier to saddlebag on an ECV.

I would absolutely get the DAS . No question you need it . Call your airline and have them put you down for a wheel chair to the gate . You will get through security easier and faster that way also . You don’t need a car seat for Disney transportation. Some rides let you take the scooter right up to boarding but some you switch to a wheel chair . For example, small world does that and they have a special handicapped boat . They wheeled my mom onto it in the wheelchair. Hopefully pirates has the same . They can slow down the moving walkway for you to crutch into most ride vehicles. I hope you have an amazing trip !

Are you using forearm (Lofstrand) or armpit (axilla) crutches? In the US the most common crutch given out is the classic underarm canoe paddle and for the life of me I can't figure out why. The Lofstrand crutch ( elbow crutch, forearm crutch ...) is a lighter and more nimble system and adds to your "footprint" much much less than the other style; which makes you less of a target for people intent on stumbling into your crutches (aka everyone at the parks). The elbo crutches are also shorter and much easier to saddlebag on an ECV.

They are underarm crutches, but ergonomic ones with spring tips. Not the stereotypical ones. They also fold, and I rented a scooter with a crutch holder. :)

Thank you!!!

I will talk to my doctor about pain meds, thank you, I didn't think of it and it's a very good (and important) idea. I am very much hoping that at 12 weeks post-break, I'm in the clear to take NSAIDs for swelling if needed. I had already thought of compression socks (assuming I'm in a boot, not cast) and ice, but not pain meds.

I don't love my knee scooter, I just like it better than my crutches for longer distances. I was thinking of it more as a way to move around the resort, especially if I just want to go to the vending machine or ice machine or something. Something that I can use more for more than I can do on crutches, but when I don't necessarily need the scooter. But practically speaking, I think a better answer is going to be a lot more practice on my crutches.

I've Ubered (well, Lyfted) to the airport before and it's always my preferred way to do it; but with the baby, I think we'd need a private ride service instead--one that would either provide car seats, or return our car seat to our house afterwards. (Which isn't a terrible idea--I know a local business that may be able to.) I think I may also ask if my dad would like to do it--he doesn't live very close to me, but for some reason he LOVES to drive people to the airport.
make sure you try using your knee scooter outside before your try on your trip at the park. I have had a friend who used one but hated trying to use outside of house. she had trouble with the cut outs for handicapped that slanted rolled too fast down and hard to get it to roll up other side. speaking of car service if using to and from your local airport service might keep and have them for your return trip to your house. one that daughter's sons MAW trips used keep 2 boosters and a carseat for us and had them ready for return trip from airport

FYI - the resorts (at least AoA) charge a handling fee ($6) for packages shipped to the resort.

I was at WDW last in 2019 and needed a shower chair. I went to the front desk and asked if they had one and one was in the room when I returned! Regarding airport assistance on returning home, I had read several posts about the lack of availability or very long waits at the ME drop off. Some suggested to let your ME driver know you would need wheelchair assistance. I did that and she called ahead, there was someone there with a chair in about 5 minutes after we arrived.

Regarding airport assistance on returning home, I had read several posts about the lack of availability or very long waits at the ME drop off. Some suggested to let your ME driver know you would need wheelchair assistance. I did that and she called ahead, there was someone there with a chair in about 5 minutes after we arrived.
You're the first person I've heard of where this actually worked. Getting your ME driver to call ahead for wheelchair assistance is very hit-or-miss (mostly miss). Just wanted people to be aware.

By the way, so far my experience with Disability Services has been a big fat nothing. I realize a broken leg is a routine and uncomplicated thing to them, but it's certainly the only time *I've* ever done it, and I wouldn't have contacted them for help if I didn't need help.

OP, our last trip included a friend on a knee scooter. She made out just fine scooting around on it all day at the parks. She did notice that some of the paved areas were themed and thus felt very uncomfortable and a bit tricky to roll on. She had no problem with bringing it in the queues, and the CMs were great about letting us know which way to go with it, be it the exit, or a cutoff point, etc. I was using DAS at the same time, so we had a variety of needs that were very well met.

My kid spent a TON of mental energy on being "mostly OK" and running around right on the edge of a meltdown. Getting a DAS was really hard for them. Guest relations always seems to have a line. People they didn't know were looking at them. Making eye contact. Talking, in a room full of people who were also talking. It's noisy, chaotic and boring. If their choice was to go do THAT or keep being "mostly ok" they went for coping as best they could or just going back to the hotel room to decompress.

We found that getting the DAS first thing, on the first day, when they had as much reserves/coping skill as possible was the best answer. We could use the DAS or not based on how the day was going and what was coming up.

I'll also suggest dark sunglasses as an option for Pluto. The Florida sun can be mighty intense sensory input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter