Anyway to avoid credit card hold of 100$?

Yes it is true that when you use Online Check-in that a Credit card is required to be provided to complete the process.

Disney does not require you to have a Credit card on file at the resort. Once you get to the resort stop by the front desk and remove your credit card. You will not be able to use your MBs for charging but they will work for everything else. Another way is to not share your PIN that you set in your MDE account with anyone in your group / family.

Any additional $100 holds are only put on your folio when you actually purchase something and charge it to the room or for other things like personal dining.

Dave
This was not true last month. We stayed at both YC and CBR. I had multiple problems with my credit card due to a system problem on Disney's end. I asked if I could remove the card and charging privileges (everything was paid in advance) and I was told they had to have a card. It is standard hotel practice, so understandable, but be aware that we were told opting out is no longer possible

This was not true last month. We stayed at both YC and CBR. I had multiple problems with my credit card due to a system problem on Disney's end. I asked if I could remove the card and charging privileges (everything was paid in advance) and I was told they had to have a card. It is standard hotel practice, so understandable, but be aware that we were told opting out is no longer possible
They were not correct in that. You do not have to have a card on file even now. Opting out is still possible. We had a stay without charging since the new policy went in place. No idea why they would have tried to keep yours on there but maybe once you get it on there you can't get it off and that's just how they explained it

They were not correct in that. You do not have to have a card on file even now. Opting out is still possible. We had a stay without charging. No idea why they would have tried to keep yours on there but maybe once you get it on there you can't get it off and that's just how they explained it
No idea either and it happened at both resorts. We also had that problem with the MB charging being randomly deactivated (and CBR forgetting to release the hold after check out), so it was a pretty irritating experience overall. We're going for a quick trip for Galaxy's edge AP previews i a few weeks and I think I'll try to remove the card and charging and see what happens. Editing to add, it wasn't connected to the YC stay and they insisted we run it through the card reader at the front desk and put it on file even if we didn't want charging before they would assign the room

Ok I just read that if we do online check in we WILL have to secure the room with a card and we WILL have to have the 100$ hold. First, is this true? Second, if I go down to the front desk and say we do NOT want to use our magic bands to charge to the room at any point, will I ONLY have the 100$ hold throughout our stay? I only have debit cards (credit cards are not an option for our family) and I need to know exactly how much is "coming out" of my account while I'm on vacation as bills will still be auto paid out of that same account. We normally only spend gift cards or our vacation cash but I do understand the need for a hold, I just want to be able to control the hold at ONLY 100$. Thanks for any help!!
you do not have to have charging privilege s on your magic band.

Yep, because you don't know another person's circumstances.

Some people go to Disney on every scrap of discretionary money they have. That's what they scrimp and save for, and when they arrive every dollar is carefully accounted for. Someone who doesn't know about the hold may have enough budgeted to cover their ACTUAL spending but not necessarily have the funds available to cover that PLUS a hold charge that takes a while to drop off.

I had this happen recently when I made the mistake of using my debit card as debit and not credit at a gas station. They placed a $100 hold on my account (for $15 worth of gas). The hold was no big deal, but the actual cost of gas cleared my account FOUR days before the hold finally cleared. I had enough in my account to cover the hold PLUS my regular spending, but I have been through periods of my life where holding $100 on my account could have easily caused something to bounce or prevent me from paying for something I needed if it didn't fall off in a timely manner.

All that is to say, you don't know what someone else has going on, it's better to avoid assumptions.
Well said!

I don't remember seeing reports of exorbitant charges appearing, but I HAVE seen reports of the hold remaining on the account on top of valid charges, and taking way longer than expected to fall off. That's where I can see people being upset, when money is tied up way beyond when it should be.

Yep, this. The fact, not idea but fact, that some people are ending up with their cards, debit and credit both, charged for their entire folio, while still having a hold for that same amount that they have to wait for their card issuer or bank to release, sometimes days after people get back home. And if you've spent $1,000 charging back to your room with your family over a week at Disney (really easy to do for a family with kids in food alone) and you have a simultaneous $1,000 hold that may not drop off immediately you suddenly need an extra $1,000 in your bank account or on your credit card just to check out.

And that is something that I think in all likelihood the MAJORITY of people who go to Disney do not find easily accomplishable. Most guests are not staying Deluxe. Most guests are trying to stay as cheaply and affordably as possible because Disney is freaking expensive, as we all know. Sometime we see about 3 years, most of us save up for months, most of us don't just have several thousand dollars hanging out in our bank accounts are on our credit cards to pop over to Disney whenever we want to. so having to come up with extra hundreds or thousands of dollars is actually a very, very big imposition. Saying if you can't manage that then don't go to Disney is essentially telling most hardworking people who go to Disney not to come. It is, frankly, mean.

Disney made this change for their own benefit after getting people very used to charging back to their rooms, long before Magic Bands, when plastic key cards still ruled the day. Disney's rationalization got to change is like every other hotel is misleading. At nearly no other hotel would you rack up potentially hundreds of dollars a day on your folio charging food and merchandise and tours and tickets and all sorts of things back to your room as you do at Disney. which is exactly what Disney taught its guests to do for years and years. Suddenly changing things now because some Disney back-office account told the board thay they were leaving money on the table (as I imagine) is just a slap in the face to Disney's own guests.

THIS is the crux of the entire problem. and this isn't to talk down anybody here. But this is why some people are really upset and scared about the change. And being scared is something that really never should have to be associated with a Disney trip unless you're in the Haunted Mansion.

Last edited:
It sort of dawned on me what is happening that is different than other authorizations.
Typically, when you get an authorization, say for a meal out, they send an authorization for the amount to be sure you have funds when you turn your credit card over to the server. The credit card company assigns an identifier code to this (I can see this on the credit card processing software we use here at work) Then, that exact transaction is turned in to an approved charge later that night when the business sends all their final charges over (my software calls it closing the daily transactions). So they never show as 2 transactions, only 1. The amount charged will change if you've added a tip in but it's still all one single identifier code.
At Disney they are sending in a preauthorization to be sure the funds are there but instead of that exact transaction turning in to an approved charge, they send a different transaction over as a new charge. Leaving both to show up on the account. I can only guess it's because the amounts vary so much. Even if they want to be sure the funds remain available there's got to be a better way to do that vs. a new transaction. I realize they need to leave the initial authorization there, so that the guest doesn't have $2000 (for example) available upon arrival but while at Disney spend it on something else so when Disney tries to send the final charge, the funds are no longer available. Example, someone could arrive at Disney, have plenty of available credit but then purchase something big like a TV online and spend half of that, leaving too little available credit for Disney. Disney needs to be sure that full amount remains available. So that I get. But I don't follow why they are processing them as they are. Or why they won't just go ahead and run the room balance upon arrival like they used to. The room balance is often the bulk of that total and if they just got it in advance, that would leave a lot less tied up in limbo.
Hopefully some of that makes a bit of sense. It's as hard to explain as it is to understand.

It sort of dawned on me what is happening that is different than other authorizations.
Typically, when you get an authorization, say for a meal out, they send an authorization for the amount to be sure you have funds when you turn your credit card over to the server. The credit card company assigns an identifier code to this (I can see this on the credit card processing software we use here at work) Then, that exact transaction is turned in to an approved charge later that night when the business sends all their final charges over (my software calls it closing the daily transactions). So they never show as 2 transactions, only 1. The amount charged will change if you've added a tip in but it's still all one single identifier code.
At Disney they are sending in a preauthorization to be sure the funds are there but instead of that exact transaction turning in to an approved charge, they send a different transaction over as a new charge. Leaving both to show up on the account. I can only guess it's because the amounts vary so much. Even if they want to be sure the funds remain available there's got to be a better way to do that vs. a new transaction. I realize they need to leave the initial authorization there, so that the guest doesn't have $2000 (for example) available upon arrival but while at Disney spend it on something else so when Disney tries to send the final charge, the funds are no longer available. Example, someone could arrive at Disney, have plenty of available credit but then purchase something big like a TV online and spend half of that, leaving too little available credit for Disney. Disney needs to be sure that full amount remains available. So that I get. But I don't follow why they are processing them as they are. Or why they won't just go ahead and run the room balance upon arrival like they used to. The room balance is often the bulk of that total and if they just got it in advance, that would leave a lot less tied up in limbo.
Hopefully some of that makes a bit of sense. It's as hard to explain as it is to understand.
Great explanation!
YC handled it perfectly. Once we had to attach the card, we used it for a few small purchases (<$40) The morning we checked out, they reversed the difference between what was owed and the $100 hold. CBR ran the charges, but didn't do any reversal/ credits, so it took 10 days for our CC company to drop the holds.

Being a young couple on our honeymoon at Disney in 99, I was completely oblivious to these credit holds. But then come to find out once we were on our cruise that my bank account had been completely drained and now facing a multitude of overdraft charges because I was using my debit card for all our hotel check ins, etc. Have always made sure to use a credit card for those things ever since. While I can certainly respect the desire to not have credit cards at all to keep from overspending, in today's world you at least need one for traveling as this is not something that's specific to Disney. Every single hotel chain, rental car company, etc are going to place these holds on your card. Most hotels I visit now have a sign at the front desk warning you to not use your debit card.

If there are three adults in the room, with three separate credit cards linked to magic bands, will we all three have the hold or just me (if I’m the one who has booked everything and will be handling online check in etc)? I guess I’m asking if this is done by person or by room?

Also can we select room preferences if we don't do online check in? I honestly just see it pop up on MDE so I answer the questions and submit. I don't know how to NOT do online check in. I just follow the prompts and they say "your preferences are set, see you on Sep 15th" or whatever
We also do not use credit cards. Dealing with Disney Resorts is quite easy.

Do not add a credit card to your MDE. If you have room requests call them in. When you check in you will politely be asked if you would like to put a card on file. Politely decline.

If you do not like the room assigned ask if any others are available. I haven't noticed any difference between using MDE for requests and calling in. The only negative I can come up with is you do not get a notification of room ready "maybe" before you arrive. But in your case, having had problems in this regard, it's really not an issue.

For us, not having a card hold on a debit card is worth the (very slightly) extra effort.

Good luck, and have a great trip!

MDE is showing a credit card in my profile, from a previous trip. Does any one know how to remove it. We are arriving in two weeks, package is paid in full and we will go to front desk to check in.

MDE is showing a credit card in my profile, from a previous trip. Does any one know how to remove it. We are arriving in two weeks, package is paid in full and we will go to front desk to check in.
You'll have to do it when you arrive. It's the only way for certain.

Always chuckle when I read about things like this. Worrying about a $100 hold when money is tight, finding ways to save money (almost obsessively) on hotels,flights etc. and then throw hundreds dollars around in tips, irrelevant of the level of service you get. Why has this hold got so controversial ?

We definitely wanna keep the online check in. I go to the front desk anyway because it's pop century and it smells amazing :) But yes I could remove the card all together as well.

Apply for the Starbucks debit card. It is a true debit card, but you transfer your funds onto it from your bank debit card. You can load it with what you need for your online checkin plus a little buffer and nothing will impact your bank where you have your bills auto withdrawn. I have one and like it.

I'm just grossly irresponsible and have destroyed my credit at a very early age so while trying to rebuild it we got rid of the cards and now living without them is easier for me to control my spending.

You do not owe anyone an explanation. I watch my account like a hawk too, and use my household checking for bills etc, but it is a true working account. I do not keep a lot in there just for a buffer. I won't use my card in WDW any longer.

I used my SB debit card in Aruba recently and one day there was an issue with their POS transactions all over the island. I had 4 duplicate transactions post several days after I arrived home, as did my DD> They were small, and only added up to $132 however I read about folks who had hundreds pile up from meals etc. We paid cash for most things, so thankful it did not affect us that way. I would have been sick if my debit card attached to my bank was impacted that way. My SB card simply went into the negative, ( I used it to grocery shop when I got home and had no idea that there was going to be problems) and I disputed the charges once I saw them. It is not ideal but I think it at least you can avoid having NSF charges snowball in your checking account.

Are the stories of people getting $100 holds may times over within a day or so still happening? We are doing a whole family trip in Dec. 12 people , just eating at a CS would hit over a $100 each time.

If we at at a CS twice a day for 5 days, are we going to end up $1000 in holds for a week or so?

We always check in at the front desk when we arrive. We have always budgeted cash throughout our stays. With multiple envelopes for multiple purposes. It is a lot of cash to carry, but once we are there we put all of it in the safe in the room and only take what we need for the day. It's always worked well for us. And no worries about our bank accounts.

Are the stories of people getting $100 holds may times over within a day or so still happening? We are doing a whole family trip in Dec. 12 people , just eating at a CS would hit over a $100 each time.

If we at at a CS twice a day for 5 days, are we going to end up $1000 in holds for a week or so?
The reports from people who have recently stayed at WDW have been varied. It seems like all kinds of holds are placed without any consistent pattern. It seems as though the most Disney will hold is the total amount of your charges plus $100. So if you have charged $800, for example, to your reservation, then Disney will hold $900. And the total amount of your balance the night before you check out plus $100 is the amount of the hold that doesn't fall off your credit card account for several days after you check out.

Anyone who doesn't want to deal with multiple holds can either pay off the balance every night or just don't use their MB's for payment.

No, it has not stopped completely.
Here's what is shows during our stay about a week ago. Each incremental amount is a hold. (the $200 is not related to this stay)
We'd checked in 7/18 and checked out on 7/21. The credit is the initial hold
The final charge at check out does not show here
BD67411D-3AD5-45BE-A372-D1BD58878042.jpeg
BD67411D-3AD5-45BE-A372-D1BD58878042.jpeg

The reports from people who have recently stayed at WDW have been varied. It seems like all kinds of holds are placed without any consistent pattern. It seems as though the most Disney will hold is the total amount of your charges plus $100. So if you have charged $800, for example, to your reservation, then Disney will hold $900. And the total amount of your balance the night before you check out plus $100 is the amount of the hold that doesn't fall off your credit card account for several days after you check out.

Anyone who doesn't want to deal with multiple holds can either pay off the balance every night or just don't use their MB's for payment.
Not exactly. Close though. At least the majority of the time this happens
Upon arrival, they will process the total amount of the room charge + $100 (I believe this is one thing that happens 100% of the time, if there's a balance at arrival)
Then, it's when things get wonky and in consistent.
We've had them run a few of the charges as holds, then stop.
We've had them run each charge as a hold
But they've never added $100 on top of the additional holds. After the initial one, they are for the amount of the charge only.
Still holds/approvals, never actual charges to the account, until final day or day 5, whichever comes first, when the balance remaining is run

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter