AP Only Info Thread Reservation System /Extensions / Refunds

I think there are some glitches in the park reservation system. We decided to go in December since both of our vacations this year were cancelled (Alaska cruise, trip to London) when I saw the DVC availability and snagged a studio at Poly. At first the system only let me reserve three days but I then linked my DVC Jessie and then the days opened up. I have a DVC Gold pass and totally forgot about the blackout dates - I was able to book 12/18 for 2 of 3 APs but not the third. I tried to call but the length of wait was never ending and while waiting I realized what probably was the issue.

Anyone else able to reserve a date during blackout?

THIS. They will get flamed super hard if (when?) they pull that.

I feel like I'm going nuts. Some days, I want the cancellation refund in full, other days I want to extend. But there's no way I'm going to call and wait for hours on hold for them to give me a non-answer (or even worse, a wrong answer from a misinformed CM). Once the email comes in, then I'll call with a decision. I'm not going to waste my time before then.
This is totally me too. I am all over the place and don’t want to wait on hold to not know the correct options in the end. Knowing how they calculate the refund will make my decision, so I’m Waiting for the email. But I go from trip planning to refund in my mind daily.

I am so seriously tempted to go to Animal Kingdom guest relations sometime this coming week (on a day off) and ask to be let into the park with my platinum annual pass since I can buy a single day ticket for the same day online...

I only live about 10 mins from the park. Oh someone hold me back!

Politely of course

Jennifer
Ooh, I would not hold you back at all! I, for one, would love for you to try this and let us know how it goes!

This is totally me too. I am all over the place and don’t want to wait on hold to not know the correct options in the end. Knowing how they calculate the refund will make my decision, so I’m Waiting for the email. But I go from trip planning to refund in my mind daily.
There wasnt a wait on the VIPassholder line. I called around 2pm.

That’s helpful! But what did you ask for? I want to know what the refund calculation is before I decide which route to choose. Sounds like no one has gotten the same answer twice yet when calling.
I inquired about the status of my AP prorated refund. Our pass expires in 2 weeks and curious if they knew it would process. Basically, some secret dept handles the processing, and updates no one on their status. He literally had nothing to offer except to check to make sure our request was submitted. I also asked about where the refunds would appear if we purchased through Sam's, and he said regardless where you purchased it (Costco, Sam's, etc) it will be credited back to the form of payment. How they know what I used, who knows.

I just read a post that was very disturbing. Someone called for the refund for the closed time and was told that the refund was based on how many times you used your pass more than 7 days they compared the price of a 7 day ticket vs the AP price. Since they used the pass more than the timeframe they didn’t qualify for a refund. I was not happy to read this and I hope that’s not true Because that should not Be the formula. That would mean I’m not getting anything and only had my 12 month pass for 9 months. I bought a 12 month pass, not a 9 month pass. I had planned to use my pass for 14 days in April And 7 nights late May before it expired in June.

He literally had nothing to offer except to check to make sure our request was submitted.

This is very interesting, because when I called a few days ago, the guy I talked to claimed that you couldn't make a request, and that nothing was being done until the promised email was sent out. I pointed out that my pass would be expiring in a few weeks, just like yours, and he claimed it still didn't matter. I asked what would happen if they expired before this promised email came out, and again he just said that nothing could be done or processed or even noted in my account until that email came out.

We've been going to WDW for 26+ years, so I'm no stranger to different CMs telling people different things, but after sitting on hold for 2 hours to be told that "nothing could be done,", and then coming on here to find that others have already had refunds processed or had their refund requests noted, I am more than a little annoyed. :sad2:. Still, I appreciate that this is a first world problem, we're in the middle of a pandemic, and Disney is probably doing the best they can to deal with all of this.

This is very interesting, because when I called a few days ago, the guy I talked to claimed that you couldn't make a request, and that nothing was being done until the promised email was sent out. I pointed out that my pass would be expiring in a few weeks, just like yours, and he claimed it still didn't matter. I asked what would happen if they expired before this promised email came out, and again he just said that nothing could be done or processed or even noted in my account until that email came out.

We've been going to WDW for 26+ years, so I'm no stranger to different CMs telling people different things, but after sitting on hold for 2 hours to be told that "nothing could be done,", and then coming on here to find that others have already had refunds processed or had their refund requests noted, I am more than a little annoyed. :sad2:. Still, I appreciate that this is a first world problem, we're in the middle of a pandemic, and Disney is probably doing the best they can to deal with all of this.
Agreed, eventually we will get our money back, but I find it very interesting that they are giving this a low priority considering all their other banking debacles the last several weeks.

I am so seriously tempted to go to Animal Kingdom guest relations sometime this coming week (on a day off) and ask to be let into the park with my platinum annual pass since I can buy a single day ticket for the same day online...

Politely of course

Jennifer
Apparently you will be told to buy a single day ticket to get a park pass and they *promise* they’ll apply the single day ticket cost to next year’s renewal!!

See it works out for everyone! they get another $100 from you today, and you get to HOPE they remember you spotted them a C-note when you go to renew! It’s Disney IT what could go wrong?!?!?

I just read a post that was very disturbing. Someone called for the refund for the closed time and was told that the refund was based on how many times you used your pass more than 7 days they compared the price of a 7 day ticket vs the AP price. Since they used the pass more than the timeframe they didn’t qualify for a refund. I was not happy to read this and I hope that’s not true Because that should not Be the formula. That would mean I’m not getting anything and only had my 12 month pass for 9 months. I bought a 12 month pass, not a 9 month pass. I had planned to use my pass for 14 days in April And 7 nights late May before it expired in June.
I totally agree with you and I fear this is a very real possibility. Disney ticket prices are front loaded and how they calculate this for their most loyal customers will tell a story for sure.

Has anyone had any lucky with getting an AP refund due to extreme circumstances? My friend purchased an AP in december and used it for 3 days. In early April she contracted COVID and is still in the hospital. She is slowly getting better, but she is looking at 6mo-1year of rehabilitation until she is close to normal again. I want to reach out and request a refund for her AP, because she logistically will never be able to use it before it expires. Anyone have luck with getting a full cancellation refund?

Has anyone had any lucky with getting an AP refund due to extreme circumstances? My friend purchased an AP in december and used it for 3 days. In early April she contracted COVID and is still in the hospital. She is slowly getting better, but she is looking at 6mo-1year of rehabilitation until she is close to normal again. I want to reach out and request a refund for her AP, because she logistically will never be able to use it before it expires. Anyone have luck with getting a full cancellation refund?

Negative. We got the notice last Thursday via e-mail for a partial refund. I have requested a full cancellation refund via e-mail and have it documented prior to the notice of a partial refund. So we're still in a holding pattern.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Politely of course

Jennifer
hold you back? No way! We want to know what happens when you do. Please go and report back. (I would myself if I lived so closer... but 1.5-hour drive is a bit much for it)

This goes against every other report and also would immediately invite lawsuits that would actually prevail against Disney. That is not what people purchased with an annual pass and they cannot unilaterally turn it into a normal ticket. None of the standard disclaimers would apply to a situation like this.

This goes against every other report and also would immediately invite lawsuits that would actually prevail against Disney. That is not what people purchased with an annual pass and they cannot unilaterally turn it into a normal ticket. None of the standard disclaimers would apply to a situation like this.

Agreed, I don’t see how it’s going to be anything other than a prorated refund (closure until original expiration date) for those that paid AP in full. As an example, a monthly Passholder could have purchased an AP on 2/17/20 and went to the park everyday until closure. If they select the cancelation option they walk away having only paid for approx. one month of the AP (approx. $100 for a Plat. Pass)...far less than the cost of a 7 day ticket. I don’t see how using the cost of a 7 day ticket works in this example when calculating a refund for cancelation. They are allowing monthly AP to cancel, meaning the monthly folks are only paying for the months they were able to use their pass. Wouldn’t that be the same for those that paid their AP in full and select the cancel option (only pay for the months they were able to use the pass) should be refunded from closure until original expiration date.

Last edited:

Politely of course

Jennifer

Assuming this is okay since I heard about this guy from Craig of DIS Unplugged... the answer was no at both Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom.

The people answering the phones don't always give the correct answer. My son had an AP that he used on at least two trips, 9 or 10 days of admissions. He got back $181 for the time the park was closed until his pass expired, which was 69 days. I think it was purchased direct from Disney at the older, cheaper rate, maybe around $953 with tax included? So I think they refunded correctly.

I am currently waiting. Request was made in late May. Ticketholders are elderly and will not travel in the near future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter