Are Disney parks no longer for the Middle class?

I am in the middle-class and I can afford Disney, I just choose to spend my vacation dollars elsewhere doing other things. I do think the prices are outrageous but people love it and find ways to work the budget to go.

According to the calculator I'm middle class (doesn't feel like it) but it still takes me at least two years to save for any vacation if I wanted to go on one not just to Disney. All trips are expensive to me due to travel costs but if I'm going to spend $5k on a trip to England or Boston how is that any different than going to Disney? I guess it's what you feel is worthwhile to spend money on.

We are solidly middle class. We used to go every year for at least a short trip. Are we priced out? Not necessarily. However, the price increases have coincided with other changes that for us, have changed the way we would have to travel to the point that it isn't really something that is worth it. We are the travelers that sometimes decide where we are going as we are packing up the car.

You can't go to Disney that way anymore, or at least not if you want to eat anywhere other than quick service and ride any of the major attractions on a busy weekend (yes, I know I can wait in the standby line but at over $100 a day for a ticket, spending 2 hours of that day waiting for 1 ride isn't happening).

I don't think that Disney has priced out the middle class, there will always be that "trip of a lifetime" market that will save for years and do one big trip. IMHO they've priced out their loyal, return customers who have gone enough times over the years to notice that we are paying a LOT more for less.

Absolutely, I always loved staying at the Beach Club/Yacht Club, but it's gotten to a ridiculous point now. So, whenever I decide to go again, it will be the Swan or Dolphin.

I want to comment on something else. I've seen a lot of posts saying that there are different types of Disney trips. For example, you can stay off property, bring in food, skip the park hopper, etc. I mean, you could say the same about NEARLY any vacation spot in the world. You can go to the Caribbean and stay at some bed & breakfast place off the beach. You can stop at the local supermarket and get some ham and make yourself ham sandwiches every day too. Is that a vacation though really? Not to me.

I think when people say the cost is getting insane it's for the standard Disney trip that includes staying at a nice Disney hotel, eating good food in the parks, getting a drink when you want it, adding the park hopper option, etc. That's what a vacation is.

You are describing a first class vacation experience. Four star hotels, etc. I think that's a big part of the problem. I'm not saying Disney isn't expensive or that doing everything you want on vacation doesn't sound great, but expecting a first class vacation to be affordable to everyone in the middle class just isn't realistic. I have never gone a on vacation that is like you describe. Even at home, the only time I drink whenever I want is from the water faucet. Price is always a consideration for me because my money is not unlimited.

I think Jay hit it on the head. No one likes paying more. People do notice it. It's not about middle class being able to afford it. That's been an issue for years. It's about the people who do go noticing it costs more and perhaps even choosing to spend their money elsewhere.

Last edited:

We are solidly middle class. We used to go every year for at least a short trip. Are we priced out? Not necessarily. However, the price increases have coincided with other changes that for us, have changed the way we would have to travel to the point that it isn't really something that is worth it. We are the travelers that sometimes decide where we are going as we are packing up the car.

You can't go to Disney that way anymore, or at least not if you want to eat anywhere other than quick service and ride any of the major attractions on a busy weekend (yes, I know I can wait in the standby line but at over $100 a day for a ticket, spending 2 hours of that day waiting for 1 ride isn't happening).

I don't think that Disney has priced out the middle class, there will always be that "trip of a lifetime" market that will save for years and do one big trip. IMHO they've priced out their loyal, return customers who have gone enough times over the years to notice that we are paying a LOT more for less.

You hit it exactly. The days of packing up, heading to the parks and spending the day riding rides and having your choice of where to eat are gone. Now it requires so much planning ahead of time (we have to eat here at this time and go on this ride at that time) it's not worth it, especially for those like myself who have been repeat customers over the years (my first trip was in '74, my last '13).

I think people spend their money on what is important to them and I think just about anyone can go to Disney if they plan it. No, not everyone can afford to stay at the Grand Californian or the Polynesian for 10 days every year, but there are many other nice alternatives that can save people money. I think if you plan it, you can make it happen on some level.
Middle class seems to me is extremely rich. I am middle income and we went to Disney for 6 days, Pop Century, no hoppers, and dining with counter and sit down. Was $2100. I price that today and it's nearly $6000 for the same week we went.

I'd hate to see the price when the rich middle class says they are being priced out. The true middle are way too busy busting their tails to pay the mortgage, bills, and feed their family to be able to go to Disney.

You hit it exactly. The days of packing up, heading to the parks and spending the day riding rides and having your choice of where to eat are gone. Now it requires so much planning ahead of time (we have to eat here at this time and go on this ride at that time) it's not worth it, especially for those like myself who have been repeat customers over the years (my first trip was in '74, my last '13).

I think what's really the worst part of it for me is that Disney could not care less. Most companies value their loyal customers, Disney doesn't. They want the 1 timers who will go all out and spend for all the bells and whistles. The return customers who used to make several smaller trips a year? We don't spend enough for them. Given the crowds the last few years, I don't expect that to change anytime soon, what they're doing is obviously working for them and it's all about the money in the end.

I get that Disney has always been a luxury vacation camp and the "you can eat peanut butter sandwiches and save up for 15 years" camp, but in reality, Disney has increasingly outpaced inflation, which does change affordability for the middle class.

Looking at just tickets and dining plan (not to mention travel, hotels, souvenirs):
March 2019 One day ticket (Holiday) $159
May 2009 $75

Annual Pass now $894
May 2009 $469

Looking at Disney Dining Plan
2019 $75.49/night (adult)
2009 $39.99/night (adult)

Median household income 2019 $63,688
Median household income 2009 $50,221

In the last 10 years, it feels like food, tickets, and hotels have basically doubled while incomes have risen about 23%?

I get it is working for Disney, they are crowded. There is a fixed volume, so they are going after squeezing as much from each person rather than filling the parks (because they have already filled the parks and resorts)

I haven't priced it out in a while. Last time we talked about it at work, my 6 nights at Pop Century with dining was $6000 compared to $2100 when we went in 2010. I just priced it out same week, same resort, same dining, same no extras. $4400. That is $366/month to go on vacation vs. my solidly median income retirement contribution of less than half of that. If I had $366 a month, I'd be putting it away for retirement and hoping to retire before I hit 100 than going on vacation.

Airfare to and from Florida from NJ: Mid $300s for 2. Luckily we spend time with family so it's not ALL on Disney.
Hotel: Staying on site even the value resort is $100/night during certain parts of the year
Parks: $400 for 4 days minimum
Food: $100 per person per day.

So just for 4 days and 4 nights, you are looking at over $2 grand.

You can do a European tour for 7 days or more for about that including airfare on places like Gate One.

You are describing a first class vacation experience. Four star hotels, etc. I think that's a big part of the problem. I'm not saying Disney isn't expensive or that doing everything you want on vacation doesn't sound great, but expecting a first class vacation to be affordable to everyone in the middle class just isn't realistic. I have never gone a on vacation that is like you describe. Even at home, the only time I drink whenever I want is from the water faucet. Price is always a consideration for me because my money is not unlimited.

Maybe but it didn't use to cost a fortune. Costs for this type of experience have increased significantly!

I get that Disney has always been a luxury vacation camp and the "you can eat peanut butter sandwiches and save up for 15 years" camp, but in reality, Disney has increasingly outpaced inflation, which does change affordability for the middle class.

Looking at just tickets and dining plan (not to mention travel, hotels, souvenirs):
May 2009 $75

Annual Pass now $894
May 2009 $469

In the last 10 years, it feels like food, tickets, and hotels have basically doubled while incomes have risen about 23%?

I get it is working for Disney, they are crowded. There is a fixed volume, so they are going after squeezing as much from each person rather than filling the parks (because they have already filled the parks and resorts)

Good post, thanks for doing that research. Those cost increases are an eye opener. I had no idea that the dining plan is now $75. How does that even make sense? It barely made sense at $40.

Depending on how someone in the Middle Class opts to spend/save/vacation, they can probably afford a Disney trip (eventually) if they make it a priority for themselves. So to answer in the most simple manner, yes middle class members can still afford to go to Disney. But in reality any individual or family's finances are often not so simple and there are tons of variables that could never all be hit upon in this thread.

Lower middle class no, upper middle class yes. The way I look at it is what I can afford and what I'm willing to spend are two different things. Sort of like me buying a "new" truck. My old Z71 had racked up 217,647 miles, still running, but it was only a matter of time before something major went out. So a new truck comparably equipped was $48,000.00. I am not spending 50 grand on a truck. Yes I need a truck, and I want it comfortable. So I bought 1 2014 truck low miles loaded for half what a new one would cost. Can I afford a new one? Sure. So can I afford $600.00 a night at the GF? Sure but I'm not willing to spend that kind of money.

Last edited:

May 2009 $75

Annual Pass now $894
May 2009 $469

So if Dining plan now costs $75 per person I would like to figure out how much eating without dining plan costs. I would probably eat at counter service and maybe one night at Chef Mickey.

So if Dining plan now costs $75 per person I would like to figure out how much eating without dining plan costs. I would probably eat at counter service and maybe one night at Chef Mickey.
In my opinion the dining plans have never been a good value. My family could never eat enough to cover the daily cost. Plus having the dining plan seems to add a tremendous amount of stress. Once you have the dining plan either by paying for it or getting it "free" as part of a "deal" you are under the gun to maximize the value by planning out every ADR 180 days in advance adding to the stress of your vacation.

"Free Dining" ruined eating at Disney Restaurants for my family. Before free dining my family and I could easily make same day reservations at virtually any restaurant or just walk up and be seated.

I mean, if it's the same policy as before, 1 CS and 1 TS per day, I don't get the value. I do a shrimp basket at Columbia Harbor House and then maybe a pizza at Napoli. I'm going to pay $75 for that? Hard pass Disney.

I was doing a search for "Disney World no longer for the middle class" and this thread popped up. Our income is higher than middle class, but it doesn't feel like it because we have a large family. We have six sons, four daughter-in-laws and soon to be four grandchildren. We are still raising our sophomore in high school son and have one in university who we help financially. We have another son who struggles financially because he has a young family and made some bad decisions early on. We help him and his family as needed. The older three are all professional and need nothing from us. I am also spending money to travel back to the northeast to check in on aging/ailing parents.

There was a time when we took all six of our boys to Disney for a week, yearly. Twice we had annual passes and would go three times in a year. We stayed onsite, off-site, deluxe, DVC rental, moderate, value Wyndham Bonnet Creek in a 4 bed presidential, etc. Our most recent trip was a year and a half ago when we stayed for a week at SSR in a 2 bedroom with a package my oldest son booked while living in the UK which included free dining for all of us in one room (the two bedroom held the six of us plus a two year old). That trip was a bargain but my son's family no longer lives in the UK so that won't be happening again.

Our income is significantly higher than when we used to take our large family (8 of us) regularly to Disney. I will admit we are traveling to other destinations now (Maui at Christmas last year, etc.). However, as I look at the prices at Disney....whew! Yes, I could make WDW happen again...but it would never compete with the types of trips we have traditionally been able to afford WITH A LOT MORE PEOPLE! Now, we are just looking to pay for four (sophomore and college age son) and I am overwhelmed! The ticket prices alone are just staggering! And the parking for onsite guests...everything just seems outrageous compared to the past. Yes, they are offering so much more in terms of entertainment (Star Wars, Pandora, etc.) but the cost of those things may have priced a lot of Disney regulars out of their former Disney habit!

I'm on a fixed income and if I want to go to WDW in 2021, I have to budget very carefully so I can start socking away $200 a month (excluding December because of Christmas gift buying, I cant do both) in November of this year, 2019. This will *hopefully* be enough, and that's staying at one of the All-Stars, with the Dining Plan unless we can score free dining (probably not because of it being the 50th year). We try to go every two years because that's all we can afford, but 2019 was out for various reasons, all the construction going on being one of them.

Every time we go, we think it could be the last time because the prices keep creeping up. At this time, I'm *almost* to the point where if I'm struggling to put the money away for a trip that is *two* years away, I simply can't go. And I think that's sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter