Are there any great flight deals around at the moment?

Ms. Shuttergirl

DIS Veteran
Hiya everyone. I know I haven't been on here for ages. I needed to step away for a while since I was feeling a bit glum about no upcoming trip. It was almost painful reading about everyone's plans, hahaha.

I'm not really in the market for another holiday yet, well I am, hubby isn't but I definitely want to keep my finger on the pulse if there are any great deals around. If a sweet enough deal came my way I'd just have to beg plead and beg some more to get hubby to agree.

We'd probably want to go WDW this time, mainly because hubby loved New York last time and of all the places in the US, this is where he would like to return so I'm sticking with the east coast for next trip.

So if anyone knows of any fabulous deals, or if anyone can suggest good months of the year for flight prices, I am all EARS....

Hey Ms Shuttergirl, long time no see ;) I totally understand your pain at reading about everyone else's plans.

I think there are some ok flight prices around at the moment but most of them are for travel within a very short time. I think the thing with the low fares is that they are often for travel at short notice (well, within 1 to 2 months anyway). So I suppose the best idea would be maybe to just start saving money so as when/if you see a great deal you can take advantage of it even if it is on relatively short notice.

I know this one might sound crazy but I reckon start entering competitions if you don't already. One of the girls here on the Dis (Butterflykisses) last year won her trip. And I also found out from a friend recently that about 5 years ago he and his wife went to the USA twice in a year because his wife who loves entering comps won 2 trips from 2 completely different comps. I know it might sound a bit pie in the sky but I figure that someone has to win and you gotta be in it to win it :thumbsup2

I suppose, for me, one upside of doing the single parent thing is that I don't have to ask no hubby for permission, and I can just do whatever I want :rotfl:

But, I completely get where you are coming from about being sad :sad2: about having no trip to plan. :hug::hug:

xxx

Hiya aussiegirls. How are things going?

I like your competition idea. I often think about this and I too have heard of others winning cool things like trips. I will definitely keep my eyes and ears open.

I had some clients here the other day who travel ALL the time. They are beyond interesting to talk with and I asked them how did they afford to travel so much. She said they just make saving for travel a priority. They always pay a certain amount into their travel fund before paying for anything else, even when money is a little tight, the travel fund still gets paid.

I like that idea and I'm going to start on it this week.

They always pay a certain amount into their travel fund before paying for anything else, even when money is a little tight, the travel fund still gets paid
Hey Ms Shuttergirl. This is exactly what my family does. We have a special account that we pay money into when we get paid and then never touch it until we decide there's enough there for a holiday. Thanks for sharing - I had wondered if anyone else was as travel mad as us. None of my circle of friends/extended family do this - and then they wonder why we always seem to go away on holiday :).

I just got this email from DBT Travel and I want to cry at how cheap the fares are. This is literally half of what we paid for our flights to Los Angeles in June :sad2:

Hello,
Issue 2, 2010

Welcome to Hot Airfares brought to you by DBT Corporate Travel and Cruisescene! For more details please contact your DBT Travel manager on 02 98885555 or Toll Free 1800 678555 or email marc@dbt.com.au

**Please give our team the opportunity to help you with your next trip! We will match or beat competitors**

AIRLINE airline/s DESTINATION adult fare fare reference depart frm depart to min max CLASS purchase by Enquire or BOOK
(AUD)
DELTA DL Los Angeles $ 799 DLTULPU 01-Apr-10 16-Jun-10 4D 2M Economy 31-Mar-10 BOOK
UNITED UA Los Angeles $ 799 UALKUSPU 01-Apr-10 16-Jun-10 0 1Y Economy 31-Mar-10 BOOK

V-AUST VA Los Angeles $ 799 VALAXQPU 06-Apr-10 31-May-10 5D 1Y Economy 11-Mar-10 BOOK
QANTAS QF Los Angeles $ 949 QFOUSAPU 01-Apr-10 16-Jun-10 0 1Y Economy 19-Mar-10 BOOK
CHINA CA Los Angeles $4,250 CASPRING 02-Mar-10 31-Oct-10 0 3M Business 31-Mar-10 BOOK
TAHITI TN Los Angeles $5,404 TNYJUSA3 10-Jan-09 30-Jun-10 2D 1Y Business BOOK
THAI TG Los Angeles $5,516 TG2CORPU 11-Jan-10 31-Mar-11 0 1Y Mixed Class * 30-Sep-10 BOOK
JAPAN JL Los Angeles $5,740 JLDNAMPU 25-Jan-10 30-Sep-10 0 1Y Business 31-Mar-10 BOOK
CATHAY CX Los Angeles $6,412 CXIUSA-1 01-Mar-10 31-May-10 3D 3M Business 31-Mar-10 BOOK
DELTA DL Los Angeles $6,458 DLLAXIPU 11-Feb-10 31-Dec-11 5D 1Y Business BOOK
UNITED UA Los Angeles $6,458 UAZLAXPU 23-Feb-10 31-Dec-11 5D 1Y Business BOOK
QANTAS QF Los Angeles $6,525 QFIUSAPU 11-Feb-10 31-Dec-11 0 1Y Business 31-Mar-10 BOOK
V-AUST VA Los Angeles $6,661 VAILAXPU 18-Dec-09 30-Jun-11 5D 1Y Business BOOK

I just got this email from DBT Travel and I want to cry at how cheap the fares are. This is literally half of what we paid for our flights to Los Angeles in June :sad2:

Hello,
Issue 2, 2010

Welcome to Hot Airfares brought to you by DBT Corporate Travel and Cruisescene! For more details please contact your DBT Travel manager on 02 98885555 or Toll Free 1800 678555 or email marc@dbt.com.au

**Please give our team the opportunity to help you with your next trip! We will match or beat competitors**

AIRLINE airline/s DESTINATION adult fare fare reference depart frm depart to min max CLASS purchase by Enquire or BOOK
(AUD)
DELTA DL Los Angeles $ 799 DLTULPU 01-Apr-10 16-Jun-10 4D 2M Economy 31-Mar-10 BOOK
UNITED UA Los Angeles $ 799 UALKUSPU 01-Apr-10 16-Jun-10 0 1Y Economy 31-Mar-10 BOOK

V-AUST VA Los Angeles $ 799 VALAXQPU 06-Apr-10 31-May-10 5D 1Y Economy 11-Mar-10 BOOK
QANTAS QF Los Angeles $ 949 QFOUSAPU 01-Apr-10 16-Jun-10 0 1Y Economy 19-Mar-10 BOOK
CHINA CA Los Angeles $4,250 CASPRING 02-Mar-10 31-Oct-10 0 3M Business 31-Mar-10 BOOK
TAHITI TN Los Angeles $5,404 TNYJUSA3 10-Jan-09 30-Jun-10 2D 1Y Business BOOK
THAI TG Los Angeles $5,516 TG2CORPU 11-Jan-10 31-Mar-11 0 1Y Mixed Class * 30-Sep-10 BOOK
JAPAN JL Los Angeles $5,740 JLDNAMPU 25-Jan-10 30-Sep-10 0 1Y Business 31-Mar-10 BOOK
CATHAY CX Los Angeles $6,412 CXIUSA-1 01-Mar-10 31-May-10 3D 3M Business 31-Mar-10 BOOK
DELTA DL Los Angeles $6,458 DLLAXIPU 11-Feb-10 31-Dec-11 5D 1Y Business BOOK
UNITED UA Los Angeles $6,458 UAZLAXPU 23-Feb-10 31-Dec-11 5D 1Y Business BOOK
QANTAS QF Los Angeles $6,525 QFIUSAPU 11-Feb-10 31-Dec-11 0 1Y Business 31-Mar-10 BOOK
V-AUST VA Los Angeles $6,661 VAILAXPU 18-Dec-09 30-Jun-11 5D 1Y Business BOOK

Ummm, wow that is so cheap. Are they return flight prices????

They are. At first I thought they must be one way but then I read the fine print that said all fares are return unless otherwise stated.

Its actually less then half what we paid :(. We paid $2500 return on QF, now it's $949. Granted we are flying out of Perth, but even adding on a domestic fare to Sydney, we could have saved $1000s if we had waited :sad2:

WOW! That's cheap. Is this inclusive of Tax? I know you can get return QF flights to LA inc tax for around $1250; and V Australian inc tax is $1000. East Coast pricing. If it is tax, (untypeable word). I could have save $500 between my son and myself.

No, it doesn't include tax. This is the fine print at the bottom of the email:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
*Hot Airfares do not include DBT ticketing service fees or applicable airline taxes. Hot Airfares are AUD and Return unless stated otherwise; valid at the time of publishing and subject to availability and change. Hot Airfares are exclusive of taxes, surcharges (unless specified), ticketing fees. Fares to/from other cities available. Please refer to your DBT travel manager for further information or email marc@dbt..com.au

Weird thing happened!!! :wizard: I have been checking flights daily for our Christmas trip and yesterday V Australia had completely vanished off Expedia. No matter what date I put in they just didn't come up. So I called Expedia and asked what the go was. One of the guys there told me that he was not sure exactly why but sometimes when the airlines are doing a price change they can just drop off their system for a bit.

So I went on this morning and they are back on Expedia and the prices are $100pp cheaper. Now I know that $100pp is not a massive difference when you are forking out multiple thousands of dollars, but better in my pocket than theirs I say :thumbsup2

So for those that are keeping a lookout for the prices to drop they have started to a little. Now I just need to pick exactly the right moment to pounce, am thinking to maybe just wait a little longer and see how it goes!!!:dance3:

xxx

I'd definitely think waiting a little longer will be beneficial. There are bound to be some cheaper flights come out soon.

Weird thing happened!!! :
So I went on this morning and they are back on Expedia and the prices are $100pp cheaper. Now I know that $100pp is not a massive difference when you are forking out multiple thousands of dollars, but better in my pocket than theirs I say :thumbsup2
xxx

Aussiegirls, I booked our trip with Expedia, I was told their price is attached to the $US exchange rate - so if that is good so are the flight prices. Not sure if anyone else has heard this?

Toy Story, I know that the Expedia prices for tickets etc are tied to the exchange rate. I remember last year logging on daily as the rate went up and watched the price of the park hoppers and tours drop every day - was great :thumbsup2

I am not so sure about the airfares though, well the ones that are with Aussie airlines anyway. I want to fly V Australia and I have been keeping an eye on the fares and they haven't changed at all with the exchange rate. But that may be because V Aust is an Australian airline and have nothing to do with the USD. It may be true of Delta or United or the like :goodvibes:goodvibes

xxx

So the dates I am looking at keep going down :yay:.

They are now at $1335 per adult. That is a pretty good price so I think I will wait a week or 2 and keep an eye on it and if it remains steady I think I might grab it.

Gotta confirm I can get leave from work though first :lmao:

xxx

Aussiegirls, what did it come down from? Are you looking to get LA return flights? We're also going in December but looking at leaving in early Dec. Hoping that they'll have discounts also on open jaw through flights to Orlando.

shushh, a few weeks ago they were over $1600. I am looking at SYD-LAX. I was going to go beginning of Dec to end of Dec but one of my kiddos just desperately wants to be home for Christmas day. So the dates I am looking at are 26th Nov - 19th of Dec.

You really have to fiddle around with the dates a bit to get the best prices so I think it's good to be somewhat flexible.

xxx

December 9th is always the last day you can fly out of Australia for the best deals to the states. Not sure why it is that day but for the past 7 years that I have lived in Australia that is what it has been.

The traditional seasons are based on the departure date from Australia and in this time of year are as follows: -
November 1 to December 9 - Low Season
December 10 to January 16 - High Season
January 17 to February - Mid season
Despite this, with the collapse in airfares a whole new set of date ranges are being created, in particular up to 30 November 2009 departure was the cut off for many fares last year.
Getting the best price is always a mixture of patience and speed. Good luck.

Thanks for that DVCAUSTRALIA I missed traveling to the states last year so knowing that the dates are changing or have changed is very helpful!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter