Arizona & Utah: Cowboys & Canyons (formerly Southwest Splendors) Meets Thread

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
Please post here if you would like to talk with anyone else who has signed up to travel to Arizona & Utah (& the Grand Canyon) with ABD.

You can also share information/ask questions about the Arizona & Utah Cowboys & Canyons (formerly Southwest Splendors) ABD.

Please try and keep this thread on topic to discussion and questions about the Arizona & Utah ABD. Off topic posts will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
Sayhello

Previous:
  • Jun 20 - 28, 2012 - tchrrx, DH, & DD12
  • Jul 30 - Aug 6, 2012
    • - MiceRNice & son (16)
    • - Keith (keithbpatterson), Erin, dd1 (18), and dd2 (16)
  • May 22 - 29, 2013 - Bronxboy (52) & 'better half'
  • Jun 26 - Jul 3, 2013
    • - McPackers & DS8
    • - carpenta, wife & daughter (12)
  • Jul 3 - 10 , 2013 - KandAMom, DH, DS1 (11) & DS2 (9)
  • Aug 28 - Sep 4, 2013 - thumpermom & husband
  • Jun 25 - Jul 2, 2014
    • - kmc33, husband & son (15)
    • - Gav4 & ???
  • Jul 2 - 9, 2014 - acndis, DH, & DS(6)
  • Jul 23 - 30, 2014 - alagille, DH (both 40 something), DS (8) & DS (5.5)
  • Jul 30 - Aug 6, 2014, Diane0977 & ??
  • May 20 - 27, 2015 - disneycrazycatlady (Rhona) & husband
  • Jun 15 - 22, 2015 - quinnc19 & DD (8 on trip)
  • Jun 22 - 29, 2015 - frozenfamily, husband & twin daughters (13)
  • Jun 29 - Jul 6, 2015 - Hlee, husband & daughter (7)

Last edited:
tchrrx, DH, & DD12- traveling June 20-28, 2012

Strongly thinking about this adult-only trip. Either this or the offshore canyons of the Cayman Islands.

I would love to have thoughts and past experiences about this trip. I am very interest in doing this with my family.

:)

I would love to have thoughts and past experiences about this trip. I am very interest in doing this with my family.

:)
Hi, disneychard! And welcome to the ABD Forum!!

As folks around here know, I absolutely love this itinerary!! It was the first ABD I did, back in 2008, and it was a FABULOUS vacation experience! I've been hooked on ABD ever since.

If you want to know my thoughts & past experiences with this trip, just follow the link in my Signature to my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! It's a very detailed, photo-filled report. The itinerary has changed a little since I took it (mostly at the Grand Canyon because they now stay at the Rim of the Canyon, and we stayed outside the park, something I see as a big improvement!). But I think it will still give you a good idea of how the trip runs, and what it's like, and why I think it's so fabulous!

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Sayhello

I leave in a week and a half. I'll be happy to answer questions when I return. I am NOT an outdoors girl, and I've actually been having dreams (and nightmares!) about things that could go wrong on this trip. So, when this inside loving girl returns with a positive report (I hope!), you'll know that it's a great trip. ;)

We called to check, and there will be about 45 people in our group! This was a shock to us b/c we had less than 25 on our Spirit of America trip.

I leave in a week and a half. I'll be happy to answer questions when I return. I am NOT an outdoors girl, and I've actually been having dreams (and nightmares!) about things that could go wrong on this trip. So, when this inside loving girl returns with a positive report (I hope!), you'll know that it's a great trip. ;)

We called to check, and there will be about 45 people in our group! This was a shock to us b/c we had less than 25 on our Spirit of America trip.
Huh. So much for having a max of 40 people on an ABD!

Sayhello

My DS and I went on SWS last summer. If there is anything specific you'd like to know, I'll be glad to answer if I can. For the 2013 itinerary one hotel has changed and they added an activity or two, but it's mostly the same.

Thank you so much, I read your whole report, I really enjoy it. :banana::banana:

Hi, disneychard! And welcome to the ABD Forum!!

As folks around here know, I absolutely love this itinerary!! It was the first ABD I did, back in 2008, and it was a FABULOUS vacation experience! I've been hooked on ABD ever since.

If you want to know my thoughts & past experiences with this trip, just follow the link in my Signature to my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! It's a very detailed, photo-filled report. The itinerary has changed a little since I took it (mostly at the Grand Canyon because they now stay at the Rim of the Canyon, and we stayed outside the park, something I see as a big improvement!). But I think it will still give you a good idea of how the trip runs, and what it's like, and why I think it's so fabulous!

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Sayhello

Hi everyone;

My sixteen-year old son and I are taking the July 30 - August 5 tour. This will be my second trip to the Grand Canyon and his first.

We've enjoyed other Adventures and are looking forward to this one.

Karen

Hi everyone;

My sixteen-year old son and I are taking the July 30 - August 5 tour. This will be my second trip to the Grand Canyon and his first.

We've enjoyed other Adventures and are looking forward to this one.

Karen
Have either of you been to Sedona or Arches? Those are spectacular, too!

Sayhello

Well...when I say I've been to the Grand Canyon before, I should add that I was in grade three at the time, which means over forty years ago! I remember the spectacular canyon, but it will be a whole new trip for me this go around.

Well...when I say I've been to the Grand Canyon before, I should add that I was in grade three at the time, which means over forty years ago! I remember the spectacular canyon, but it will be a whole new trip for me this go around.
:thumbsup2 You're going to love it!

Sayhello

Yes, I read your report and I'm very excited...

Not sure about the "Cowboy" part, though. I always associate cowboys with horses, but these cowboys ride around on ATVs!

I booked Jun 26 - Jul 3, 2013 with DS8 (at time of travel).

I do have a question about optional Grand Canyon excursions: on Day 4, the afternoon is free. Do your guides have recommendations of things to do? One of the things I might want to do is the mule ride but from my understanding that needs to be booked months in advance. Anyone have anything they would recommend for that afternoon?

I do have a question about optional Grand Canyon excursions: on Day 4, the afternoon is free. Do your guides have recommendations of things to do? One of the things I might want to do is the mule ride but from my understanding that needs to be booked months in advance. Anyone have anything they would recommend for that afternoon?
The Guides will have plenty of suggestions for your free afternoon!

Unfortunately, the mule ride that you're probably thinking of is an overnight activity. You leave early in the morning, go all the way down to the bottom of the canyon, spend the night at the Phantom Ranch, then ride back up the next day. You can't do this as a part of the ABD, as you don't have 2 full days at the Grand Canyon. (You could always skip that part of the ABD if you wanted to -- if the times worked out. But it doesn't look like they would).

However, they do now offer an "alternative" 3 hour "Abyss Overlook mule ride" for those either afraid of the regular ride (narrow paths that are REALLY high up, with nothing between you & the canyon) or just don't have time to do the 2-day trip. You ride the mules through forests above the Rim, and take a short walk to the Abyss Overlook to look out over the canyon. I can't find times listed anywhere (there are 2 departures a day). The site I saw said you usually need to make reservations 13 months in advance. It couldn't hurt to call.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/mule_trips.htm

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/mule-trips-716.html

I did a great hike down the Bright Angel trail (the trail the mules go down). It's a beautiful hike. Just be aware the Rangers (and the Guides!) suggest allowing twice as long to get back up as it took you to go down, and they weren't wrong! So if you have 3 hours to hike, turn around & go back up after 1 hour.

You can also do helicopter rides over the Canyon, but it's my understanding the Guides can make recommendations for this, but can't help you book it any more.

Sayhello

On the free afternoon, we had lunch at El Tovar and then took a walk around the rim where we were lucky enough to see some condors. Then we took the shuttle to a few locations around the park and attended some ranger programs, which were fun and educational. and DS was able to get his junior ranger's badge. We had dinner at the Bright Angel Restaurant. It was fairly low key, but we had a great time.

Thanks Sayhello and Bobo912 for the suggestions. I have a little over a year to research but am very excited to see the Grand Canyon for the first time that I want to make the most of it. I saw on the news that it was a high of 103 in Phoenix!

Thanks Sayhello and Bobo912 for the suggestions. I have a little over a year to research but am very excited to see the Grand Canyon for the first time that I want to make the most of it. I saw on the news that it was a high of 103 in Phoenix!

I'ts much hotter in Phoenix than any other location on the trip. We arrived a day early for our trip and it was 107. We were told that it had cooled down from 113 the previous day. But once you get out of Phoenix it's a lot cooler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter