Arizona & Utah: Cowboys & Canyons (formerly Southwest Splendors) Meets Thread

Keith- If you enjoy golf, they do have a 6 hole (I think) chipping course to play.

MiceRNice- Everyone in our group did the early morning horseback ride.

...how does the horseback ride fit in with Arches National Park gig? I'm confused...I thought we had the afternoon free, not the morning. Michael and I could go golfing on the chip course but wouldn't it be too hot for that?

...how does the horseback ride fit in with Arches National Park gig? I'm confused...I thought we had the afternoon free, not the morning. Michael and I could go golfing on the chip course but wouldn't it be too hot for that?

Arches Day- You have the afternoon free. It's the adult only dinner night, so you would miss it if you did horses.

The next day is a free morning before rafting. That's when our group did horses/ATV.

I booked the morning horseback ride. Thanks for the tip! It should be a glorious vacation and getting closer every day:)

Hello. My family is considering this trip for July 2013 ( me, DH, DS1 (11) and DS2 (9) I have enjoyed reading everyone comments about this trip. I was wondering - some mentioned making reservations to different restaurants prior to going on their trip. Is this something that needs to be done? If so, how did you learn about the restaurants? Thanks

Hello. My family is considering this trip for July 2013 ( me, DH, DS1 (11) and DS2 (9) I have enjoyed reading everyone comments about this trip. I was wondering - some mentioned making reservations to different restaurants prior to going on their trip. Is this something that needs to be done? If so, how did you learn about the restaurants? Thanks
For one restaurant in particular, the Dining Room at the El Tovar Hotel at the Grand Canyon, it's recommended to get a reservation ahead of time, because it is very popular. I don't know about the others, but I heard about it by reading the trip reports of people who had done this trip before me (and since!). Reading the Trip Reports can give you a great idea of what the trips involve, and handy tricks (like making the reservations ahead of time) that people have discovered over the years. Or just post a thread here asking for advice & opinions on restaurants, activities, etc. The folks on this forum love to share their experiences on ABDs!

(If you haven't already, check out the Trip Report sticky at the top of this Forum. There are several Trip Reports for this trip. But look for Southwest Splendors. They just changed the trip name this year.) You can also check out the link to my Trip Report in my Signature. SWS was my first ABD, and I still think it's one of their best itineraries!

Sayhello

If you just want to have a meal at the El Tovar, you can have lunch there without reservations. I know a lot of people specifically want to have dinner, but lunch is a good option if you're looking for something more flexible. That is what we did and then we had dinner at Bright Angel, where we didn't need reservations either.

At Sedona, our guides booked several 'dummy' reservations to Che-Ah-Chi, and we just chose one of those times. You could probably book it in advance if you wanted to. It was the best meal of our trip.

We booked El Tovar in advance (reservation window is 30 days out).

Thank you for all the advice - happy to say we booked the trip today YEA!! We are going July 3-10 , 2013. We can't wait !

Please post here if you would like to talk with anyone else who has signed up to travel to Arizona & Utah (& the Grand Canyon) with ABD in 2012/2013.

You can also share information/ask questions about the Arizona & Utah Cowboys & Canyons (formerly Southwest Splendors) ABD.

Please try and keep this thread on topic to discussion and questions about the Arizona & Utah ABD. Off topic posts will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
Sayhello

Roll Call:
Jun 20 - 28, 2012 - tchrrx, DH, & DD12
Jul 30 - Aug 6, 2012 - MiceRNice & son (16)
- Keith (keithbpatterson), Erin, dd1 (18), and dd2 (16)
Jun 26 - Jul 3, 2013 - McPackers & DS8
Jul 3 - 10 , 2013 - KandAMom, DH, DS1 (11) & DS2 (9)
May 22-29, 2013 (Adults Only) - Bronxboy 52 & better half

Please post here if you would like to talk with anyone else who has signed up to travel to Arizona & Utah (& the Grand Canyon) with ABD in 2012/2013.

You can also share information/ask questions about the Arizona & Utah Cowboys & Canyons (formerly Southwest Splendors) ABD.

Please try and keep this thread on topic to discussion and questions about the Arizona & Utah ABD. Off topic posts will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
Sayhello

Roll Call:
Jun 20 - 28, 2012 - tchrrx, DH, & DD12
Jul 30 - Aug 6, 2012 - MiceRNice & son (16)
- Keith (keithbpatterson), Erin, dd1 (18), and dd2 (16)
Jun 26 - Jul 3, 2013 - McPackers & DS8
Jul 3 - 10 , 2013 - KandAMom, DH, DS1 (11) & DS2 (9)

We are doing the June 26 - July 3rd. Myself, my wife and daughter 12 yrs. old. Can't wait and just booked our airfare.

Just wondering .... Which hotel do you stay at while at Grand Canyon? I was checking out the hotels and saw there are several there.

Ok another question....hope I don't drive you guys crazy :). I have read about ABD sending a box - when would this arrival and since we booked thru AAA would it go there? Our trip is the first week in July

Ok another question....hope I don't drive you guys crazy :). I have read about ABD sending a box - when would this arrival and since we booked thru AAA would it go there? Our trip is the first week in July
You used to get the box 45 days ahead of time, now it's more like 3-4 weeks. I leave in a little over 2 weeks, and they haven't sent ours yet (they had to re-print the book). That's not normal.

The box is sent wherever your TA (AAA in your case) indicates it should be sent. I'd talk to AAA if you want it sent directly to you, and see if they'll do that (they just have to inform ABD of that.)

Sayhello

Hi, my family is considering this trip for summer 2014. My parents in there 60s want to take my children ages 9 and 7 on this vacation. Will there be other grandparents traveling with their grandchildren? What is the average age of kids on these trips? Will my kids find other children in their age group? Thank you for your insight.

Hi, my family is considering this trip for summer 2014. My parents in there 60s want to take my children ages 9 and 7 on this vacation. Will there be other grandparents traveling with their grandchildren? What is the average age of kids on these trips? Will my kids find other children in their age group? Thank you for your insight.

We just booked 7/2-7/9/14! So excited. It's me, DH, and DS(6). This will be our 4th ABD. I am trying to talk my dad (71) into joining us. He is a huge John Wayne fan, so, I am interested in OP's responses as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter