Arizona & Utah: Cowboys & Canyons (formerly Southwest Splendors) Meets Thread

Hi, my family is considering this trip for summer 2014. My parents in there 60s want to take my children ages 9 and 7 on this vacation. Will there be other grandparents traveling with their grandchildren? What is the average age of kids on these trips? Will my kids find other children in their age group? Thank you for your insight.

We just came back from this trip this past Wednesday - there were 3 families in our group which had grandparents. On our last day the 3 Grandmas ate breakfast together :) As far as kids, the youngest was 6 and the oldest was 17. About 14 kids total and they all got along :)

We just booked 7/2-7/9/14! So excited. It's me, DH, and DS(6). This will be our 4th ABD. I am trying to talk my dad (71) into joining us. He is a huge John Wayne fan, so, I am interested in OP's responses as well.
Wow!! We booked the same trip after returning from Ireland, except we are going the week before you (6/25-7/2/14) :sad1:

Kim,

I wish we were going to be together! I really enjoyed meeting you and your family. That's really funny...Great minds think alike! Let's check in with each other to compare notes.

Cindy

Yes Cindy, we should compare notes! We enjoyed meeting you and your family too! Maybe we will find ourselves on the same trip again sometime in the future.

Anyone else going? I just called ABD yesterday and learned that we have 40 on our trip. Sounds like we are good to go!

My husband, 15 year old son and I are on this trip. I also wanted to learn if there would be other teens. Sounds like at least 9 or 10 teens between 14-17 years old and some younger ones too.

Need something warm to think about while waiting out the end of this winter!::yes::

We're doing the 7/30 adventure. Can't wait to hear about your trip! It will give us something to look forward to.

We did this trip last year and it was great. One word of advice I would go ahead and make your reservations for dinner when you stay in the Grand Canyon. The El Tovar (tel. # 928-638-2526 Ext. # 6432) is where we ate dinner. It was very good when we were there and it fills up quite quickly so reservations are recommended. You also have a more relaxed venue in the Yavapai Cafeteria where they have quite a selection of foods from all over. Salads to Burgers to Mexican and heroes etc. It was reasonable in price and plenty of tables. Great ice cream shop right on the rim. Any questions I would be happy to answer.:)

Just looked over the treatments at the MiAmo spa. They sound "unique." Did anyone do anything fabulous they could recommend or discover a past life, etc?:rotfl:

Just looked over the treatments at the MiAmo spa. They sound "unique." Did anyone do anything fabulous they could recommend or discover a past life, etc?:rotfl:

......past life? See the Native Americans for peyote and a sweat lodge for that...:lmao: Or stop off in Colorado on your way in......

Ok, I put a trip on hold until March 11th for the JULY 23-JULY 30,2014 trip! Pretty sure thing now, just awaiting one of my son's camps to confirm his changed dates due to a horrible winter and extended school schedule.
So, I called ABD and appears there are already 8-9 kids (boys>girls) ages 6 to 15 signed up.
There will be myself, 40 something and DH, also 40 something along with ds8 and ds5.5.
This will be our first ABD trip and are veterans at WDW, DCL. This is new and exciting. Any others on Dis going then too?

Ok, I put a trip on hold until March 11th for the JULY 23-JULY 30,2014 trip! Pretty sure thing now, just awaiting one of my son's camps to confirm his changed dates due to a horrible winter and extended school schedule.
So, I called ABD and appears there are already 8-9 kids (boys>girls) ages 6 to 15 signed up.
There will be myself, 40 something and DH, also 40 something along with ds8 and ds5.5.
This will be our first ABD trip and are veterans at WDW, DCL. This is new and exciting. Any others on Dis going then too?
This is still one of my favorite ABD itineraries! You're going to love it.

Would you like me to add you to the Roll Call now, or wait until you've actually booked? :)

Sayhello

Wait until official. I may have to switch to the 7-9 trip if my son's camp changes this week.

Say, while I have you on the thought of the southwest. I'm looking at the Tilley hats as what most of us have are simple baseball caps that would fry our ears and face and neck. Have you, or anyone else for that matter, used the Tilley hats and have any feedback. I want a good one I can also use in a few weeks for a DCL cruise too.

Say, while I have you on the thought of the southwest. I'm looking at the Tilley hats as what most of us have are simple baseball caps that would fry our ears and face and neck. Have you, or anyone else for that matter, used the Tilley hats and have any feedback. I want a good one I can also use in a few weeks for a DCL cruise too.
I personally don't have a Tilley hat yet, but I am looking at buying one. Some of the folks on my Greece trip had them, and they really worked well. I totally agree with you that you need more than a baseball cap for this trip, although you can probably find something similar that's not quite as expensive as the Tilley hats.

Sayhello

Question: At the Grand Canyon, will ABD allow requests to NOT be booked at Thunderbird? I've read horrible reports about this hotel. Does anyone who has stayed recently have any updated info? Thanks.

We did this trip in 2011 and stayed at the Thunderbird. It is not a 5-star, luxury hotel, but it is definitely not horrible. I had heard the stories too and I was very pleasantly surprised. I've stayed at other National Park hotels that were much, much worse. I seriously doubt that ABD will book you in a different hotel.

Question: At the Grand Canyon, will ABD allow requests to NOT be booked at Thunderbird? I've read horrible reports about this hotel. Does anyone who has stayed recently have any updated info? Thanks.
I'd check with ABD or your Travel Agent, but, like Bobo912 said, I highly doubt they'd let you book at another hotel. That would really make for all sorts of logistical problems, as well as the fact that they have agreements with the hotels they use. I'm sure they aren't paying full price for your rooms. Even if they did allow it (which I can't see) you'd probably have to book it and totally pay for it yourself, and just give up your room at the Thunderbird.

And honestly, I can't imagine the bruhahah that might occur if everyone starts going into the Thunderbird, and you say "Well, we're off to the El Tovar, see you guys in the morning!" That's not something the Guides should have to deal with!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter