• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

The problem is not the majority of people getting severely ill. What you try to avoid with the shut downs is enough people getting ill enough to overwhelm the healthcare system. It would only take 0.1% of the population being extremely ill from it at one time to more than fill every empty hospital bed in the country.

If they start unnecessarily shutting down restaurants, grocery stores, etc. then we will have bigger, more long lasting problems than Covid-19.

Other countries (outside of China/Wuhan) have not done that, at least not that I've read about.

I guess I'll have to clarify, I'm speaking of areas that aren't having large outbreaks/clusters.

If they start unnecessarily shutting down restaurants, grocery stores, etc. then we will have bigger, more long lasting problems than Covid-19.

Other countries (outside of China/Wuhan) have not done that, at least not that I've read about.

I guess I'll have to clarify, I'm speaking of areas that aren't having large outbreaks/clusters.
Japan just shut down public schools for an extended break. Italy and other European countries are playing sporting events in empty stadiums or delaying the start of seasons (Japan and S. Korea). More is coming if the spread can't be slowed. A full quarantine like China imposed in Wuhan is probably not possible in Western style nations. But if the spread can't be controlled, expect some pretty interesting new measures in many countries. It will depend on the competence of the government as well of course.

Japan just shut down public schools for an extended break. Italy and other European countries are playing sporting events in empty stadiums or delaying the start of seasons (Japan and S. Korea). More is coming if the spread can't be slowed. A full quarantine like China imposed in Wuhan is probably not possible in Western style nations. But if the spread can't be controlled, expect some pretty interesting new measures in many countries. It will depend on the competence of the government as well of course.

Yes, that's not what I was talking about. I would expect museum, schools, large sporting events in areas that are having large outbreaks.

I have to honestly ask, does it seem like that is what I was talking about? :)

Yes, that's not what I was talking about. I would expect museum, schools, large sporting events in areas that are having large outbreaks.

I have to honestly ask, does it seem like that is what I was talking about? :)
Probably not. "If they start unnecessarily shutting down restaurants, grocery stores, etc." Etc. certainly covers a lot of ground. But so long as you know what you are talking about, it's all good.

Probably not. "If they start unnecessarily shutting down restaurants, grocery stores, etc." Etc. certainly covers a lot of ground. But so long as you know what you are talking about, it's all good.

I guess I over-estimate everyone's deductive reasoning skills. :)

I find these Covid-19 threads a bit frustrating. :p

My last thought is I think the media needs to start toning down their dramatic headlines as people are losing their minds.

They need to tell people - If you get Covid-19, you will most likely be okay. You will most likely not have severe symptoms and almost certainly most likely will not die. Use good judgement and stay away from elderly and immuno-compromised individuals until you are disease free.

My last thought is I think the media needs to start toning down their dramatic headlines as people are losing their minds.

They need to tell people - If you get Covid-19, you will most likely be okay. You will most likely not have severe symptoms and almost certainly most likely will not die. Use good judgement and stay away from elderly and immuno-compromised individuals until you are disease free.

What media are you watching? I am not seeing anything that can be categorized as sensationalist fear mongering. I am seeing informative, well balanced coverage. Maybe you need follow different media outlets.

Well. That's certainly one point of view. Though I think it's primarily projecting your point of view onto what is actually being said in the media.

I haven't seen hysteria inducing headlines from major outlets and part of my job is to monitor the news. Looking at my Bloomberg Terminal this morning the aggregated Top News Stories list the following headlines for coronavirus articles:

"U.S. to Expand Coronavirus Testing after Delays in Surveillance
"Pence Picks Top U.S. AIDS Official for Coronavirus Response"
"Lagarde Says Coronavirus Doesn't Yet Require ECB Policy Response"
"As Virus Spreads Across Globe, Banking Giants Boost Measures"
"Coronavirus Fallout Spreads to Manufacturers in U.S. Heartland"

For Editorials we have the following:
"Trump's worrisome Coronavirus Response"
"Why the World's Doctor Won't say the P-Word"
"Coronavirus Resets S&P 500 Multiples to Reasonable"

Which of these is dramatic and needs to be toned down?

Have a good time guys! :p (I will now quarantine myself from these threads)

I do hope everyone stays healthy and feels minimal impact from this. :)

Last edited:
There is definitely some truth to the media over-blowing things and causing more fear than really needs to be. They do this for a lot of things. One of the first articles I see on a huge media source like CNN is, "Preparing for a pandemic: What should I buy?" and that article talks about stocking up on food. I think that kind of stuff while may not technically rise to the level of it, feels like fear mongering.

There is definitely some truth to the media over-blowing things and causing more fear than really needs to be. They do this for a lot of things. One of the first articles I see on a huge media source like CNN is, "Preparing for a pandemic: What should I buy?" and that article talks about stocking up on food. I think that kind of stuff while may not technically rise to the level of it, feels like fear mongering.

Yes. It's the cumulative effect. All you see on the news, on social media etc... is Coronavirus Coronavirus Coronavirus. One single article on it's own, not a big deal. But when you're bombarded with it all the time... It definitely induces anxiety, to outright panic/paranoia.

Regardless of what is going on now, it is probably a wise thing to have a couple week supply of food and water in case of some kind of disaster.

Yes. It's the cumulative effect. All you see on the news, on social media etc... is Coronavirus Coronavirus Coronavirus. One single article on it's own, not a big deal. But when you're bombarded with it all the time... It definitely induces anxiety, to outright panic/paranoia.

The bombardment has definitely got me anxious but I'm also an anxious person in general. However, having a cruise booked for June, and Disney trips in September and December is making me feel even more anxiety about this all.

Regardless of what is going on now, it is probably a wise thing to have a couple week supply of food and water in case of some kind of disaster.

Amen. And if everyone waited til we had an actual emergency, there would be no way to fully get all people prepared (have you been at stores before hurricanes and blizzards?:)). So, I'm okay giving the info to everyone to get 2 weeks of stuff ready...some people will immediately do it, some people will wait a week or two and do it on normal trips, and some folks will wait til the last minute (if there is a last minute), but by doing it this way, everyone will be able to be stocked if the worst does come to pass...

I mean, it can't hurt to make sure you have the things you literally can't live without stocked up now. Whether that's meds or vitamins or coffee or soda or alcohol...at least starting a base will help if and/or when your community might be faced with an outbreak b/c it may be completely luck of the draw...

The bombardment has definitely got me anxious but I'm also an anxious person in general. However, having a cruise booked for June, and Disney trips in September and December is making me feel even more anxiety about this all.

I've mentioned this to family, but if booked trips are giving you anxiety right now...I'd cancel them til you know what shakes out. Cumulative stress lowers your immune system, so you could make yourself sick without ever even having a corona impact:)...and it's not like the places won't be there later...

I've mentioned this to family, but if booked trips are giving you anxiety right now...I'd cancel them til you know what shakes out. Cumulative stress lowers your immune system, so you could make yourself sick without ever even having a corona impact:)...and it's not like the places won't be there later...

Well I'm not going to let the anxiety get the best of me. I'm sure things will be fine but right now it's sometimes on my mind.

The thing that gets me is that they are reacting this way to COVID-19, yet, based on sheer numbers, the flu has been much more devastating this year, resulting in over 16,000 deaths, 250,000 hospitalizations and 26 million illnesses in the USA per the CDC. Should we have not shut down everything when those cases started back in September? Particularly since less than 50% of the US even received the flu shot?

i saw a post another place why they are so worried about COVID-19 compared to the flu
COVID-19 might only have a 2% death rate but the flu is only like 0.2% so your 10x more likely to die if you get it .
the contagious part of flu is 2 to 3 days were COVID-19 is from 2 to 3 weeks with less signs during this period
flu infection rate of other people wit the flu was like 1.5 but COVID-19 is estimated at 3.5 people
so thats why they are worried .people with are more likely to infect people over a longer time and more people and your much more likely to die from it . the spanish flu was just a flu but had a longer infection period then normal flu and that why it spread so far .

The thing that gets me is that they are reacting this way to COVID-19, yet, based on sheer numbers, the flu has been much more devastating this year, resulting in over 16,000 deaths, 250,000 hospitalizations and 26 million illnesses in the USA per the CDC. Should we have not shut down everything when those cases started back in September? Particularly since less than 50% of the US even received the flu shot?
That's the thing. We have the flu shot. You don't take it, that's generally your problem (though I admit the healthcare and poverty problems play a role as well as the Russian roulette aspect of which strains are included every year). The death rate and infection rate from common flu is also significantly lower. Depending on stats, it could be 10x lower on death rate and depending on your health and age it could be even higher. Infection rates run about 3x higher. That's unimaginably significant. Flu goes around elementary schools every year and very, very few kids die. If COVID-19 gets loose in elementary and middle schools with a 1-2% fatality rate in those age ranges, you are looking at schools having 1-3 CHILDREN PER SCHOOL not surviving based on an average school size of 300 kids and a 50% infection rate.

That's the thing. We have the flu shot. You don't take it, that's generally your problem (though I admit the healthcare and poverty problems play a role as well as the Russian roulette aspect of which strains are included every year). The death rate and infection rate from common flu is also significantly lower. Depending on stats, it could be 10x lower on death rate and depending on your health and age it could be even higher. Infection rates run about 3x higher. That's unimaginably significant. Flu goes around elementary schools every year and very, very few kids die. If COVID-19 gets loose in elementary and middle schools with a 1-2% fatality rate in those age ranges, you are looking at schools having 1-3 CHILDREN PER SCHOOL not surviving based on an average school size of 300 kids and a 50% infection rate.
For the record, the current fatality rate among children is 0.000. No deaths to children under the age of 9 have been attributed to covid-19.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter