• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

I have just fished listening to the press conference of the Lombardy Region and these are the numbers for the Lombardy Region alone. They had a total of 403 cases but of these only 216 in hospital. Of these they have 29/30 in intensive therapy. Generally in the whole of Lombardy they have 900 beds for intensive therapy atm they only have 100 free. They said they will need to start to crate new beds.
Additionally I attach this article from the guardian for the UK

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200227_190548_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200227_190548_com.android.chrome.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 24
i saw some videos from china that say different but who knows now days with the internet

Yeah...and even those who can say, don't say much...

My brother is 10 hours outside Wuhan in southern China. He and his wife had 3 weeks outside of work (full shutdown) and he has been brought back this week while she is teleworking. They live in high-end China...but even there, he must wear the mask and gloves and get the temp every time he drives to work...and it's straight there and back. That's all he's shared...and I'm smart enough to not ask more...but that sounds like more than seasonal flu precautions to me...

Regardless of what is going on now, it is probably a wise thing to have a couple week supply of food and water in case of some kind of disaster.

This. I think this is the point being driven home by these articles. It's meant to get your mind into emergency preparedness mode, which is a good thing. There is a very real possibility of supply chain disruptions with this virus. Things won't come to a grinding halt, but a slow disruption could eventually impact inventory, especially in more remote/rural areas.

i saw a post another place why they are so worried about COVID-19 compared to the flu
COVID-19 might only have a 2% death rate but the flu is only like 0.2% so your 10x more likely to die if you get it .
the contagious part of flu is 2 to 3 days were COVID-19 is from 2 to 3 weeks with less signs during this period
flu infection rate of other people wit the flu was like 1.5 but COVID-19 is estimated at 3.5 people
so thats why they are worried .people with are more likely to infect people over a longer time and more people and your much more likely to die from it . the spanish flu was just a flu but had a longer infection period then normal flu and that why it spread so far .
These seem to be close to what I've been reading as well. And, as @Dreams&wishes posted, above, quite a lot of people are in the hospital in Italy. Although 85% of cases are supposed to be mild, it just doesn't seem to line up with what is happening IRL. There's quite a lot still unknown about the virus.

These are the official numbers from the protezione civile. Those i have were just for Lombardy but these are higher as well. Might be because Italy has an aging population?
Orange is :in hospital with symptoms
Red:intensive therapy
Yellow:home quarantine
Green:cured
Black :dead

Ps I'm glad you are back I was so sad that they closed the other thread!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200227_234457_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_20200227_234457_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 35
These are the official numbers from the protezione civile. Those i have were just for Lombardy but these are higher as well. Might be because Italy has an aging population?
Orange is :in hospital with symptoms
Red:intensive therapy
Yellow:home quarantine
Green:cured
Black :dead

Ps I'm glad you are back I was so sad that they closed the other thread!
Haha, well I think out loud too much. :-) I'll be better now, I promise.
That's a very good thought about Italy having an older population. Also, more smokers, perhaps? I know the percent of people who smoke in China is definitely higher than here, but their population is younger than the US, so that may cancel out.

Haha, well I think out loud too much. :-) I'll be better now, I promise.
That's a very good thought about Italy having an older population. Also, more smokers, perhaps? I know the percent of people who smoke in China is definitely higher than here, but their population is younger than the US, so that may cancel out.
Yes heaps of smokers and smog.

Average age in China is less than a year younger than US.
Well, that probably isn't enough to make a difference, huh? For some reason I thought it was more than that on the graph I was looking at, but I honestly don't remember the units. Thanks!

Well, that probably isn't enough to make a difference, huh? For some reason I thought it was more than that on the graph I was looking at, but I honestly don't remember the units. Thanks!

China has a smaller percentage of its population over 65 than the US. It’s 11% vs 16% so not huge but might be what you saw.

China has a smaller percentage of its population over 65 than the US. It’s 11% vs 16% so not huge but might be what you saw.
The one child policy did a number on their demographic balance. Only 30% of their population is 24 or under compared to 34% in the US.

The one child policy did a number on their demographic balance. Only 30% of their population is 24 or under compared to 34% in the US.
Yes, and for a time some scientists were wondering if that's why there were few reports of sick children, but it turned out that they just don't get very ill.

I hope our federal/local government(s) is/are careful when advising shut-downs. Not everything needs to be closed.

Movie theaters? Restaurants? Some of that should be a person's choice whether they want to risk or not.

Majority of people in US would not become severely ill from Covid-19. Then it's up to individuals what risks they are comfortable with.

Elderly and immuno-compromised would probably be more careful in where they choose to go, who they choose to see.
This is wrong and not how you contain something like this. All those people who decided it was “their choice” to get infected are actually putting everyone else in the community especially the immunocompromised at risk. It’s the same reason why anti-vaxxers are being so inconsiderate. They aren’t just putting themselves at risk they are putting everyone at risk.

If they start unnecessarily shutting down restaurants, grocery stores, etc. then we will have bigger, more long lasting problems than Covid-19.

Other countries (outside of China/Wuhan) have not done that, at least not that I've read about.

I guess I'll have to clarify, I'm speaking of areas that aren't having large outbreaks/clusters.
They are not going to shut down grocery stores. Not even China did that. They can absolutely shut down luxury community gatherings like movies and restaurants

I guess I over-estimate everyone's deductive reasoning skills. :)

I find these Covid-19 threads a bit frustrating. :p

My last thought is I think the media needs to start toning down their dramatic headlines as people are losing their minds.

They need to tell people - If you get Covid-19, you will most likely be okay. You will most likely not have severe symptoms and almost certainly most likely will not die. Use good judgement and stay away from elderly and immuno-compromised individuals until you are disease free.
People really have a hard time conceptualizing percentages. 20 percent chances happen... 20 percent of the time. 2 percent chances happen... 2 percent of the time. These are not small percentages when talking about hospitalization rates and mortality rates.

The thing that gets me is that they are reacting this way to COVID-19, yet, based on sheer numbers, the flu has been much more devastating this year, resulting in over 16,000 deaths, 250,000 hospitalizations and 26 million illnesses in the USA per the CDC. Should we have not shut down everything when those cases started back in September? Particularly since less than 50% of the US even received the flu shot?
It has been stated elsewhere but comparing this to the flu continues to be apples to oranges. This thing has a mortality rate that is at least 20-100 times that of the flu. It is three times as infectious. This is nothing like the flu and is several orders of magnitude worse. If every poster on this forum was simultaneously infected with the flu we’d likely all survive. If every member of this forum was simultaneously infected with Covid-19, there would almost certainly be deaths.

This is wrong and not how you contain something like this. All those people who decided it was “their choice” to get infected are actually putting everyone else in the community especially the immunocompromised at risk. It’s the same reason why anti-vaxxers are being so inconsiderate. They aren’t just putting themselves at risk they are putting everyone at risk.

And you hold people risking getting the flu to the same standards? Covid is here to stay.

And dont tell me "I'm wrong" unless you have actual in the field experience with past pandemics, thanks.

They are not going to shut down grocery stores. Not even China did that. They can absolutely shut down luxury community gatherings like movies and restaurants

Of course they can. But unless a serious outbreak in that area, would be a huge mistake for local economies.

And you hold people risking getting the flu to the same standards?
I’m not really sure what you mean by this. This isn’t comparable to the flu at all. It is far far deadlier and far more contagious. But, yeah, do I think everyone should get their flu shots for the good of herd immunity and to help those who can’t get their flu shots because they are immuno-compromised? Absolutely. Do I think that public gatherings need to be shut down because of flu? No. Unless it’s a severe localized outbreak of a particularly virulent strain of flu like we saw during the Swine Flu pandemic when many schools shut down at various points because of large numbers of infected students.

I’m not really sure what you mean by this. This isn’t comparable to the flu at all. It is far far deadlier and far more contagious. But, yeah, do I think everyone should get their flu shots for the good of herd immunity and to help those who can’t get their flu shots because they are immuno-compromised? Absolutely. Do I think that public gatherings need to be shut down because of flu? No. Unless it’s a severe localized outbreak of a particularly virulent strain of flu like we saw during the Swine Flu pandemic when many schools shut down at various points because of large numbers of infected students.

We dont have a vaccine right now.

Sorry, not here for cities/towns preemptively shutting down private establishments to quell public panic when there isnt a true need.

Which is what I was speaking of. But again, my bad on assuming...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter