At MK now.....half of Main Street stores are closed

Saying " a medical emergency" isn't telling every nosy guest what is happening to you or your family.

I'm not asking for them to tell me the name and hometown of the injured. Or even what happened to them.

Simply say, "medical emergency." And simply keep repeating it, if they get questions. "How long will it take." "I'm sorry, there is a medical emergency." "What happened?" "A medical emergency."
But do you really need to know? The fact that the CMs are standing there is enough evidence that you and your family are safe from whatever is going on inside those shops. They wouldn't be standing right in front of them if it was unsafe. So why is it any of your business what's going on if it has nothing to do with you?

ETA: Disney has just suffered a very grisly dose of reality, and I'd think the last thing they'd want to do is alert guests to a "medical emergency" in the wake of that tragedy. It pulls people out of the fun-filled fantasy world they've paid a small fortune to come visit. Hence, the CM's response, "So you can enjoy Main Street more," is pretty accurate. Your enjoyment is bound to be lessened if you find out there is a medical emergency taking place in a shop on Main Street that is severe enough it warrants a human shield to keep people from seeing it.

My guess would be medical emergency or electrical problem (possibly the ladder), but that's a lot of stores to be closed. It sounds to me like they closed the building that houses the Confectionary, Uptown Jewelers, and the Chapeau. The CMs probably continued a little north and south of that building to block the side entrances. That in mind, we'll probably never know. If it were a bomb scare or something in that vein though, trust me, we would already know.

yes I would really want to know so I can be an informed consumer with my families safety.. right now I have to assume that was a human shield and a tiny college student isn't much of a shield (and they better get more than hazard pay today for being in that wall)...

if it was electrical, then it would be someone at every door, not a big deal.. this was described as a wall of cast members down the east side of main street. that doesn't sound like a little problem to me.

But do you really need to know? The fact that the CMs are standing there is enough evidence that you and your family are safe from whatever is going on inside those shops. They wouldn't be standing right in front of them if it was unsafe. So why is it any of your business what's going on if it has nothing to do with you?
Nowadays, we need to be always aware of our surroundings and what is happening. If this happens when I am there, I would leave the area. I certainly wouldn't be "enjoying Main Street."

Nowadays, we need to be always aware of our surroundings and what is happening. If this happens when I am there, I would leave the area. I certainly wouldn't be "enjoying Main Street."
That's certainly your right. I wouldn't because I'd assume Disney would not risk the safety and lives of its cast members by lining them up directly in front of something that could potentially harm them. That makes no sense.

That's certainly your right. I wouldn't because I'd assume Disney would not risk the safety and lives of its cast members by lining them up directly in front of something that could potentially harm them. That makes no sense.

Not to mention causing a bunch of guests to panic, and maybe start even more trouble, is not something Disney would risk. If it is a medical emergency of any sort, it is not anyone's business at all. No, we all don't deserve to know. Guest: "What is the problem? CM: A medical one. Guest: What kind, I once took a first aid class/my mom is a nurse/my dad is an EMT. Maybe I/we can help? CM. No, we are fine. Guest; Are you sure? Maybe we could help, are you sure?" And if you don't think that would happen, look to this post and all the people insisting they have a right to know. People would be that insistent on helping, even if it wasn't needed or wanted.

Lots of interesting speculation here.

I'd just say that it makes little sense to me that they would essentially block the entire east side of Main Street if it were a medical emergency in one of the shops. When those kinds of things happen they just cordon off the immediate area, not the whole street. The EMT's, etc would be accessing and leaving the scene through the back of the shops. Yes, I'm aware that the shops all interconnect however by the accounts here, this seems to have extended even across the small alleyway half way down the street. Why block off those other shops as well?

So perhaps this was a hazmat situation. Or a gas leak. Or an electrical issue.

I can totally understand why Disney wouldn't shout from the rooftops what was happening as they clearly wouldn't want to cause a mass panic and the chance of people getting caught up in a crush or something along those lines. Look at it this way, whatever has happened was clearly something where they thought it was still ok to have people close by the incident and still in the park. If it was something like them calling in the bomb squad, they wouldn't have people walking close to where the problem is. Disney will always be trying to protect their guests and not for one reason would they risk having people if the park if it was something as serious as a bomb etc.

I was surprised at how quickly and discretely Disney handles "medical emergencies". On my last trip (a long 6 years ago), at HS, DF and I were ordering a breakfast sandwich from an enclosed kiosk, and the CM helping us just passed out mid-order. Co-workers in the back moved quickly to help him, and another CM took over and had us finish ordering, like nothing was wrong. It was kind of bizarre, but I get it. The guy that ordered before us kept going back to the window complaining that his food was taking too long (oblivious to what was going on inside the kiosk). If we didn't witness it ourselves, we'd never know that something was happening.

I wonder if the cm's really know what's going on when they're instructed to do this. It could be some kind of lockdown procedure and they're just following protocol without even knowing the reason why.
I wonder if WDW is starting lockdown drills during the day, to make sure their proceedures work correctly?

I think it is really important to remember that while at WDW you are on private Disney owned property as a guest of Disney. They have no obligation to inform you of anything that is going on back stage and if there is a wall of CM's around an area then that area is back stage. Nobody has a "right" to demand answers about something that they are clearly not interested in informing you about and if you believe your safety is not secure then leave. If you believe you don't have enough information to make a decision, then leave. Disney has no legal obligation to tell you anything and is well within their right to have you removed from their park if you refuse to accept that.

I don't like being left out of the loop any more than the next person, but I put myself in their shoes. If I am having a BBQ and someone asks me what is in a storage shed and I don't want to tell them, I don't have to. If they feel uncomfortable with that answer then they are in no way required to remain on my property.

I think it is really important to remember that while at WDW you are on private Disney owned property as a guest of Disney. They have no obligation to inform you of anything that is going on back stage and if there is a wall of CM's around an area then that area is back stage. Nobody has a "right" to demand answers about something that they are clearly not interested in informing you about and if you believe your safety is not secure then leave. If you believe you don't have enough information to make a decision, then leave. Disney has no legal obligation to tell you anything and is well within their right to have you removed from their park if you refuse to accept that.

I don't like being left out of the loop any more than the next person, but I put myself in their shoes. If I am having a BBQ and someone asks me what is in a storage shed and I don't want to tell them, I don't have to. If they feel uncomfortable with that answer then they are in no way required to remain on my property.

So what's in your storage shed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter