• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

At MK now.....half of Main Street stores are closed

What would bother me about not knowing is that they are deciding for me whether it is safe or not.
I would rather have that say for my family.

But if I don't know what the problem is, I get no say in my own safety.

I hate to burst your bubble but people are deciding those things for you all the time. Do the police call you every time they get a bomb threat in your town?
Does the POTUS call you every time there is a terrorist threat?
Do the police give you a special call before they embark on a high speed chase on the highway you are driving on?
Does the FBI give you a heads up whenever they are doing an undercover investigation in your area?

IF you ever really knew the extent of possible dangers around you, you would never leave your house!!!

Saying " a medical emergency" isn't telling every nosy guest what is happening to you or your family.

I'm not asking for them to tell me the name and hometown of the injured. Or even what happened to them.

Simply say, "medical emergency." And simply keep repeating it, if they get questions. "How long will it take." "I'm sorry, there is a medical emergency." "What happened?" "A medical emergency."

Even if they told you it was a medical emergency…how could you really know it was a medical emergency and they weren't just saying that to cover something up with?

I feel like when you are at Disney you just need to trust they are doing everything they can to keep you safe. I think you also have to respect Disney's decisions to tell you or not tell you what is going on. Disney doesn't owe their guests any information and if you/we don't like that Disney doesn't say what is going on then you/we can choose not to go there. For me, I trust Disney will not knowingly put me in harms way and when I see a wall of CMs, I just walk by while hoping everyone is okay.

OP here. When I asked what was going on, I was really more curious how long everything was going to be closed. If Disney tells me to stay away, I do it. We wanted a sweet snack and we're ready to leave anyway so we went back to our resort bakery. It was obvious they didn't want us to know anything so I didn't pursue it and left

I hate to burst your bubble but people are deciding those things for you all the time. Do the police call you every time they get a bomb threat in your town?
Do the police give you a special call before they embark on a high speed chase on the highway you are driving on?
Does the FBI give you a heads up whenever they are doing an undercover investigation in your area?

IF you ever really knew the extent of possible dangers around you, you would never leave your house!!!

I completely agree with you! It is amazing how ignorant/naive people are to how much crime is in their own community. Yet we all make choices and rely on the police to keep us safe without knowing what all goes on.

When my father tipped his scooter at Epcot (the bridge between France and England.) My mother said she did not know where all the CMs came from, but there had to have been close to thirty that formed a circle around them. No one could see in, paramedics enter the circle without notice. By the time I got there he was sitting on the scooter, bandage up and ready to go. It was nice knowing that they were spared the onlookers. All I could do was to go around those to countries and thank everyone I could for looking out for my parents.

I think it would be odd for CMs to tell everyone who asked what was going on. For one thing if it is a medical emergency they would probably want to keep it private for the people involved. And secondly we know how important it is for Disney to treat the parks as being on stage. When there are tragedies going on in the outside world they do a pretty good job of keeping them out of their parks. If something tragic happened inside their park I'm sure they would do their best to insure that it didn't impact the enjoyment of other guests visit. For some people knowing that someone had been injured or having a medical emergency might make them worry or feel unhappy. And when it's unnecessary to even tell other guests why would you purposely bum them out?

I wonder if the cm's really know what's going on when they're instructed to do this. It could be some kind of lockdown procedure and they're just following protocol without even knowing the reason why.

That is what I am thinking, that maybe only a couple of them know what is really going on and the rest of them are just doing what they are told to do.

I completely agree with you! It is amazing how ignorant/naive people are to how much crime is in their own community. Yet we all make choices and rely on the police to keep us safe without knowing what all goes on.
Exactly!

On my old NYC subway commute about half the time the train was held for "smoke conditions ahead" or "sick passenger." How often does that really happen? Rarely. They're non panic-inducing phrases that usually mean police action of some sort that's really not in the public's need to know realm.

Do the police call you every time they get a bomb threat in your town?
If it happens in a school where my child is, then yep. I am notified. Every time. And if there was a security squad trying to disarm a suspected bomb in a Main Street shop on the other side of a wall, then yes, I would want Disney to tell me that too. Now, do I think that that was what was going on? No. I suspect they would evacuate the area completely. But with what went on in Orlando a short time ago, I want more information than a "wall" of college students smiling, telling me to enjoy Main Street leaving me with no information whatsoever from which to make an informed decision. There is rarely a time when telling the truth is a bad idea. We tell our children that every day. Adults should do a better job of practicing what they preach.

I just checked a place where Cast Members post messages and there's no chatter about it. Maybe it was only blocked off for a few minutes and then went back to normal, which happens all the time. Maybe they had to take the stretcher out through the shops and didn't want to parade the poor guest through a line of lookie loos.

Having been a CM, we'll surely not tell guests that someone got sick. Maybe you might nod appreciatively and move along, but let's say (very conservatively) 1 in 10 people who ask will ask for more information where none is warranted or stop to get a better view. Multiply that by a large number of people, and, well...

It's amazing how crowds slow down and gather to crane their necks, trying to ogle a poor lady who got heat stroke or the boy having an asthma attack. So better to give no information at all, and ask people to step all the way forward through the walkway.

If it happens in a school where my child is, then yep. I am notified. Every time. And if there was a security squad trying to disarm a suspected bomb in a Main Street shop on the other side of a wall, then yes, I would want Disney to tell me that too. Now, do I think that that was what was going on? No. I suspect they would evacuate the area completely. But with what went on in Orlando a short time ago, I want more information than a "wall" of college students smiling, telling me to enjoy Main Street leaving me with no information whatsoever from which to make an informed decision. There is rarely a time when telling the truth is a bad idea. We tell our children that every day. Adults should do a better job of practicing what they preach.

Telling the truth and not telling someone something you want to know but have no right to know is two different things. Disney didn't lie about whatever happened…if anything happened…they just refused to say what was going on. Also, your child's school does not immediately call you when something happens. They call the police first…the police then make decisions for the safety of your children. If the school is in a lock down, they aren't going to allow you to make a decision to get your kid out until the officers feel it is safe to allow the kids to leave. People make decisions all the time that believe will keep each of us safe and sometimes we have all the information and sometimes we don't. I am also pretty sure that the schools don't tell you all the info they know when something happens at school (at least for the schools around by me I'm 100% of that because I know all the information due to my job, which is not in a school, and I know what it is they tell parents). You can never in life make a 100% informed decision. It isn't possible. The decision you can make when going to Disney is do you feel that you are safe their and Disney will do everything they can to ensure your safety or not? The decision isn't what does Disney "have to" tell you.

I hate to burst yours, but I actually know quite a lot. I am simply in a position to know a lot of what happens around my town.

But of course the FBI or the president doesn't call me. Although for a year or so, I did know when the FBI was doing an undercover investigation in my town.

Nor do I expect Disney to tell me everything.

That doesn't mean that I abdicate my security when I go there. It is actually quite sad to think that so many people do.

So, just because I don't expect Disney to tell me everything, doesn't mean that I don't want them to.

I wonder if WDW is starting lockdown drills during the day, to make sure their proceedures work correctly?

No we are not practicing lock down drills at all. Disney already has a complete evacuation and shelter system in place and it works when needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter