AT&T Outage

15 calls yesterday. All hackers. Didn't answer any of them. The phone is such a useless tool for making/receiving calls now days.

I think a lot of services are dependent on those copper landlines. I have "fiber" internet but it uses copper phonelines from my house to the fiber hub.
Oh, in their proposal to eliminate landlines, ATT admits, they still make money on the service. So they can afford it.
As described you don't have fiber.

You have some flavor of DSL.

Even POTS more than likely has some amount of fiber in the loop, that does not mean it is fiber service.

I may have spoken too soon about having no issues on my phone. It just lost service and says "emergency calls only." My wife has an iPhone, and has been without service all morning. I have an Android and just lost service.

My Android phone has service again. My wife's iPhone still has no service (SOS).

And I find it ironic that I literally just got an AT&T promotional email about iPhones, lol:

1708622253514.png

our at&t is still up and working. we still have a landline though. we've had spotty cell service forever and bad weather can make it worse. a landline is the only way to ensure access to emergency services.

As described you don't have fiber.

You have some flavor of DSL.

Even POTS more than likely has some amount of fiber in the loop, that does not mean it is fiber service.
All I know is it is marketed as fiber. It replaced a DSL connection, which replaced a dial up connection.

We are AT&T and my data and SMS were working just fine. I didn't get any calls until the afternoon but that is normal.

I'm eager to learn what happened. I'm betting on either routing (BGP strikes again?) or DNS because I get to use my favorite haiku:

It's not DNS.
There is no way it's DNS.
It was DNS.

I have AT&T and First net. I'm very dependent on my phone for work, but I had no issues at all today.

Just imagine if cell phone and wifi service were down in the parks? How could we function? We couldn't get food as Disney can't handle everyone ordering at the counter in 202ss
My guess is it probably did go down in the park for some people. They aren't followers of this forum.

We have Verizon and were not affected.

Just wanted to throw out a little PSA for those who were concerned about the ability to call 911. A working cell phone (or watch with cellular) will use *any* cellular tower to connect to 911 regardless of who your service is through and will work whether you have service or not. Same as if you had a landline phone with no service, you can still call 911 on it. The outage affected service but not the phone’s ability to function.

You can turn on WiFi calling to make regular phone calls provided you have WiFi. The caveat here is that when you turn it on you have to put in your home address for 911 and check a little box that says if you’re out and about and call 911 they may send services to your address rather than where you actually are. I tend to leave it off for this reason.

If you have an iPhone and/or an iPad you can make audio calls to another iPhone/iPad user with FaceTime using WiFi. I don’t know what the equivalent would be for Android but I do know you can use something like FB Messenger to do the same thing.

Maybe it was a regional thing? My phone worked fine and was able to call a relative in another part of the country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter